Thom Felicia Interiors – W San Diego Redux

I was sent over some renderings from Thom Felicia Interiors (of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy fame and current host of Dress My Nest – which I love) that I thought you’d like to take a peek at since I know so many of you, like me, are Thom fans. He is currently working on the upcoming redesign of the W Hotel in San Diego, California. I was at this hotel in June 2005 for my anniversary and thought their current lounge areas were lovely, but it really did need to be freshened up a bit. I really liked the bar area so I’m glad to see that they’re leaving it in the same position as before near the stairs. I think it’s quite exciting that the redesign will be complete in June, perhaps I will have to fly out and stay there this summer for our wedding anniversary all over again.

I love all the bold prints and was told that they are going with organic materials and interior cabanas lined with rich wood louver paneling. Sounds very luxurious and sophisticated. The new lounge areas will also feature one-of-a-kind art installations inspired by the culture of southern California, an eye-in-the-sky DJ booth, and a redesigned poolside bar and sundeck. I can’t wait to see the finished photos in June, I’ll make sure to post them here on decor8 and hopefully even get an interview with Thom himself if he’d be interested in visiting design blog land to hang with us. :)

What do you think? Would you stay at a hotel that looks like this? I hope that this is a new trend, for hotel chains to start commissioning high end ‘celeb’ designers to update their look. So many need major help. I think the color palettes and furnishings in most hotels I stay at feel so cut n paste boring. I’d also like to see more hotels work with local artists to pull together unique one-of-a-kind rooms that feel a bit more quirky, like Hotel Fox in Copenhagen or the Arte Luise Kunsthotel in Berlin.

(images from TFI)

Posted by decor8 in designers on April 15, 2008

1. Maryam commented
    April 15th, 2008 at 8:56pm

eeek, the pressure is on!

2. cindy k commented
    April 15th, 2008 at 9:20pm

those interior renderings are fabulous as are the designs for the hotel. i’d stay there in a heartbeat.

3. Emilia commented
    April 15th, 2008 at 9:24pm

As long as they don’t touch my chair swings up on the beach bar then I’m ok with it!

4. Melissa Lewis-Off The Wall commented
    April 15th, 2008 at 10:53pm

I would live in a hotel like this. Okay, maybe not live, but it could be my second home. Love the color choices here!

5. katiedid commented
    April 16th, 2008 at 12:00am

Yes! I would stay here. San Diego is such a great beach town and it looks like he has captured that feeling here. It is fun, casual, yet sophisticated. WHat fun to get a sneak peek! Thanks.:)

6. Lisa Renee commented
    April 16th, 2008 at 12:05am

I LOVE THIS!!!! I love looking at renderings sooo much! These are UNREAL

7. Jennifer Ramos commented
    April 16th, 2008 at 4:50am

Hi Holly,
    A friend of mine told me about this redesign…nice to look at these though…

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

8. Anonymous commented
    April 18th, 2008 at 10:15pm

you shoudl wait and look at the new redo of the MGM grand in Vegas…then u tell me…

9. sandman_gr commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 11:58am

Dear Holly, check the Baby Grand Hotel in Athens! Each room is designed by a local artist, many using graffiti! Even the reception area is unusual, with two Mini Cooper cars acting as desks!