Top Design Welcomes India Hicks

Vanessa wrote in to share that she heard India Hicks will host the next season of Bravo’s Top Design and Todd Oldham will continue in his role as mentor (minus the host part). Of course our dear Kelly Wearstler, Jonathan Adler and Margaret Russell will still serve as judges. Kelly must stay, we need her advice and her clothes to check out each week. It will be fun to see what India is like (does she have a fabulous British accent, I wonder?) and what she will wear too. I have no clue either way since I’ve only seen her in photos throughout the years.

Here’s a little bit about India that you may not have known that I find quite interesting, “Host India Hicks is the daughter of famed interior decorator David Hicks and Lady Pamela Hicks. Born in London, England, she was named in honor of her grandfather, Lord Mountbatten of Burma the last Viceroy to India. Her godfather, HRH Prince Charles, chose Hicks to be a bridesmaid in his wedding to the late Lady Diana Spencer in 1990.” – Bravo TV.

What do you think of adding India to the mix to replace Todd as host?

(image from bravo tv)

Posted by decor8 in reality tv on April 21, 2008

1. Courtney commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 1:31pm

I think she will be fascinating! She certainly has quite the design pedigree, as well, so qualification is no issue. I thought the article about India Hicks in Domino was verrry interesting…I ate it up!

2. Benita commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 1:41pm

Wish I could see the show over here in Sweden… I love India Hick’s style. Would not mind her house in the Bahamas or was it Bermudas?)

3. www.projectblancoyd.com commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 1:50pm

Oh I love David Hicks. She is really great too.

4. John Trosko commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 2:48pm

In March, they were shooting at the Container Store in Century City– per a secret source I have.

- John

5. meg commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 6:53pm

I’m just happy to hear that they’re planning to bring Top Design back! And glad they’re hanging onto Todd in some way – he seems like such a gentle, warm soul.
    Kelly seems mostly worth keeping around for the fact that she does, indeed, get us watchers to tune in just to see what kind of wackadoo hair-do she’s pulling off each week!

6. Turquoise commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 6:58pm

I also heard the first challenge was having to create a room based on items from thrift stores and hardware stores with a budget of $2000.

7. Anonymous commented
    April 21st, 2008 at 10:53pm

I really like Todd Oldham as a designer and on the show (for inspiration and such). However, he was a pretty bad host if I’m not mistaken. Always sounded like he was reading directly from cue cards. I think a more dynamic host, while keeping him on for design advice would be a much-needed improvement.

8. CrimsonBruin commented
    April 22nd, 2008 at 12:42am

I’m intrigued! I’ve read so much about Ms. Hicks. I’m looking forward to “meeting” her. I do love Todd, but being a host doesn’t seem to be his forte. He had a (micro?) series on the Style Network a couple of years ago. It was cool because he was actually creating things. I am glad to see TD is coming back. I didn’t think it would!

9. Anonymous commented
    April 22nd, 2008 at 9:31am

Charles and Diana got married in 1981 not 1990 – in 1990 prince william would have been 8, now that would have been scandalous!

10. becky commented
    April 22nd, 2008 at 8:42pm

Yes, if the royal wedding was that recent, I would be young right now :)

I LOVE India Hicks. She is one of the top five people I envy like crazy!

becky

11. Bliss* commented
    April 22nd, 2008 at 11:51pm

I love India’s sense of design. I had the pleasure of shooting a wedding where the bride stayed at her amazing plantation style home in the Bahamas and got ready there. Her taste is impeccable.

12. Topsy Turvy commented
    April 24th, 2008 at 12:03am

It’s always interesting to see the real person and personality behind someone you’ve seen/heard so much of in the written press. I liked Kelly Wearstler much more than I thought I would – she seemed to be one of the most thoughtful and kind of all the judges. (and her great fashion sense is a plus) JA and TO came across as goofy and stiff. So I can’t wait to see the new season and new personalities. Thanks for sharing the insider info!
    - Lana

13. nyc/caribbean ragazza commented
    April 24th, 2008 at 8:46am

I have seen pics of her house in Vogue. I like her design sensibility. Are the shows online? I live overseas now.

I remember reading about her grandfather who was assassinated by the IRA.

14. Galien Marston commented
    October 2nd, 2008 at 8:21am

India Hicks looks so comfortable and easy talking about design
    and she seems to genuinely care about the contestants. Besides being
    good to look at, it is also nice to hear that lovely English voice.

15. PK Mahanandia commented
    June 16th, 2010 at 3:57am

inspired by India Hicks adventures life.
    Heartfelt Congratulation.