Anthropologie Introduces Nathalie L?t

I’m intrigued by the work of Nathalie L?t?, a 44-year-old artist and writer living in Paris, born to a German mother and a Chinese father. Lete is an icon in Japan, Japanese youth really appreciate her aesthetic as most of her work is inspired by her childhood and they find it very tender and Parisian. Her work reminds me a little of that of Niki de Saint Phalle, one of my favorite artists.

In Japan, her designs are distributed under the name Chat Chien, perhaps you’ve heard of it before? In addition to Japan, you may know her from her collaborations in the past with the Designers Guild in London, and her designs for the French ceramics studio Astier de Vilatte, where her pieces range from $890-6,200 for ceramics, lithographs, and hand-tufted wool rugs. For the first time ever in the United States, Anthropologie has commissioned her work to bring a broader audience to her style with the work of Nathalie L?t? appearing on cotton voile bedding, plates, ceramic drawer pulls, vases, and rugs.

Nathalie L?t? has her first U.S. exhibition at Anthropologie in New York City at 50 Rockefeller Plaza now through June 20, 2008. You can also find these items in their retail stores nationwide and online via their website. I think it’s exciting that large companies like Anthropologie are promoting the works of artists and I’m certain since we have a demand that the trend will continue in this direction.

Here’s a sneak peek of some of what’s on view at their NYC store.

Love those rugs! In addition to Anthropologie (more to come), you can also purchase some of her work at La Marelle.

Side topic: I’m still pushing for Anthro to publish a book — we need an Anthro Visual Display DIY book release from them because they have to share with us all their unique display ideas and crafts that they create in their stores. It’s all too amazing and pretty to not pull together for a book, don’t you think?

(images from anthropologie)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, shopping, travel on April 29, 2008

1. Hammocks & High Tea commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 6:11pm

I will definitely be purchasing one of those plates. I thought you menat for a second that they were actually coming out with a book b/c I’ve been dreaming that their stylists will spread the love and wisdom!

2. Aran commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 7:26pm

I love this!! I am obsessed with Anthropologie… I think I’m there three times a week. I just blogged about my love for them too and how I was inspired by one of their quilts to make a dessert. Brilliant!

3. {evy} commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 7:38pm

Love this artist – her site has been bookmarked as an inspiration source for me for a couple of years now. I can’t wait to see the exhibit at Anthropologie. And yes! Brilliant idea about a book from them. I hope they’re taking your fabulous advice.

4. Kathryn commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 8:17pm

Bring on the book. I dream of such a book.

5. La Rimule commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 8:25pm

Here in France Nathalie L?t? is very famous but I just learned a lot of things reading this blog !

6. janainca commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 10:16pm

Hi. I appreciate that you like the art of Niki de Saint Phalle, but, honestly, L?t?’s kitch doesn’t look anything like Niki. Sorry to disagree.

7. decor8 commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Janainca,

I think it has to do with what body of work you are referencing of Niki’s because her earlier works are much different from the Tarot gardens and the works she did before she passed away. The commissioned work for Anthropologie isn’t what I’m referring to as being somewhat like Niki’s work, it’s more Lete’s work shown on her website — her paintings and such. But of course, the way each person sees things isn’t how it “is” so to say, it’s only how one person chooses to see it and to me, I see a little Niki influence in Lete’s work. I also read somewhere that Lete wants to create a mosaic tiled grotto, and the moment I read that it made me think that perhaps I’m not far from the truth.

Holly

8. julieann commented
    April 29th, 2008 at 10:59pm

Yes I wish they would write a book on the Anthropologie style. If anyone hears of them opening a store near by give them a call and ask to help set the store. I did it last year and it is great fun. It is wonderful to see all the product up close. If you are lucky enough you may even help the fabulous merchandisers set up! As a former visual it was a dream!! I am always adding pieces to my sylefeeder

9. kayte commented
    April 30th, 2008 at 2:28am

wow!
    a. i just posted about nathalie lete today. i love her!!! great minds think alike.
    b. i would love to be involved in such a book. and i have great contacts!!

10. decor8 commented
    April 30th, 2008 at 2:47am

Kayte – That’s great, did Anthro overnight the images to you too?

11. Melissa Lewis-Off The Wall commented
    April 30th, 2008 at 1:31pm

First, I can almost never go wrong with anything over at Anthropologie.

Second, I LOVE that satee. Oh my gosh. It’s gorgeous. And the plates…oh I want it all.

12. mandco commented
    April 30th, 2008 at 2:32pm

So beautiful! its like a feast of colors !

13. GDylan commented
    May 2nd, 2008 at 4:09am

I agree 100% with what you said about Anthro doing the visual display book – I have admired their work since the first store opened in PA. and always dreamed of working for them just so I could get in on it. Alas, there is no Anthropologie near me!

-GDylan (of “Dastardly Design” blog)

14. Anonymous commented
    May 20th, 2008 at 2:38pm

Lapin & Me have a special feature on Nathalie right now…..www.lapinandme.co.uk

15. Bettyjoy commented
    July 13th, 2008 at 4:20pm

I love Nathalie Lete’s work – I bought a Paumes book about her work when I was in Japan last year and co-incidentally, I mentioned her in a bost on my blog earlier today about the wonderful Paumes books. PS Im a big fan of your inspirational blog too:)

16. mimi commented
    November 25th, 2008 at 2:49pm

Hi,

Are the dinner plates designed by Nathalie Lete– made in China and sold at Anthropologie– safe for every day use? I’m just concerned about products made in China.

Mimi

17. movelab commented
    July 17th, 2009 at 12:06pm

I visited with Nathalie’s at her studio outside of Paris about 11 years ago while shopping for my store. Simply amazing. A collision of color, craft and impeccable style. Provocative themes and cute cute cute. From dolls to ceramics to textiles…she did it all with exhuberance, flair and style. What an experience. What a talent!

18. Katie commented
    February 2nd, 2014 at 3:58am

I would love to offer to buy some of these plates if any of you have them and are willing to part (and would pay generously!). I am trying to put together my collection for my rehearsal dinner in a few months and have been looking for several of these for some time — especially the bird with beret and woodpecker here, as well as several others. You would definitely be helping to make my dream wedding come together!!

19. decor8 commented
    February 4th, 2014 at 10:17am

@Katie – Write to or visit Anthropologie.com or contact the artist directly, she’s in Paris. Here is her website: http://www.nathalie-lete.com/