Susan Gower of Nifty Thifty Dry Goods

Are you ready to meet trim lady? Well, she’s not really called that, but it’s tempting when you see what she surrounds herself with beneath her massive tent. Trim lady is Rhode Island-based Susan Gower, owner of Nifty Thifty Dry Goods.

She has ribbons, buttons, trims, beads, and more, both new and vintage. Susan travels around selling new and vintage notions that you’ll swoon over. And yes, I said she travels. She gave me a copy of her upcoming show schedule so I’ll post it below because she’s hitting IL, OH, MN, MI, WI and TX between now and November 2nd.

I discovered Susan just a few days ago via Country Living magazine (June ’08 page 90) and after some extensive online research (she doesn’t have a website), I found out that she’s showing currently at the Central Park section at the Brimfield Show in booth #116. I wanted some of the items shown in Country Living but she told me that they took those images 7 years ago so she doesn’t have those items anymore. I nearly fell over. Seven years? She was surprised too. But I’m happy that they ran it when they did because I found her. :) You’ll love Susan’s tent and the section she is in has lots of of ladies selling fabric and notions so you’ll stay busy for awhile. The tent directly across from Susan’s carries vintage tablecloths starting at $10 — you can’t miss their heaping piles of fabric and women going completely bonkers.

Susan organizes the things in her tent by color, so it’s super easy to navigate. And everything is set up so nicely. She is a little shy, but once you get to talking to her she’s so very nice. She even gave me a discount on some trim I purchased, which helped because I spent $135 on her stuff and could have easily run the bill up to double that. It’s hard to not drop mounds of cash, everything is absolutely amazing as you can clearly see.

She doesn’t have a store or website, but if you’re in Rhode Island anytime soon you can find lots of her goodies at a shop called Refind located at 436 Wickendon Street in Providence (401-277-0606).

Nifty Thifty Dry Goods 2008 Show Schedule

June 19-21, The National Quilting Center, Columbus, OH
June 26-28, Minnesota Quilters’ Annual Quilt Show, Rochester, MN
August 21-24, Stitches Midwest 2008, Schaumburg, IL
September 11-13, Quilt Expo – Sewing with Nancy, Madison, WI
September 26-28, The American Sewing Expo, Novi, MI
October 25-27, International Quilt Market, Houston, TX
October 30 – November 2, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX

(photos taken with permission by thorsten becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, events + markets, vintage on May 15, 2008

1. Alicia commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 1:42am

This is exactly what I want to do with my life, selling vintage and new items, except for me it’ll be home accessories and furniture and it’ll be in a store and online! But yay!

2. Debbie Miller commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 2:11am

oooh, I’m from RI. thanks for the tip Holly1

3. Carlene commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 2:23am

Oh, THAT trim lady! I saw her booth at Stitches Midwest in Chicago last summer. Incredible!! Talk about swooning…I nearly lost consciousness, LOL!

4. Elsita :) commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 2:29am

If I ever find myself in a place with all these treasures I am sure that I will have to stay there for hours and I then I will have a hard time not buying everything!
    What a treat!
    Elsita :)

5. AnastasiaC commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 4:23am

i was just reading about her in country living that arrived in my mail yesterday! cant believe they used 7yr old photos – how odd?!
    gorgeous trims and ribbons!!! i love how they are grouped in colours!!

6. SimplyGrove commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 4:49am

Looks delightful!!!!

7. Stephanie commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 12:08pm

I visit her booth at the National Quilting Association’s Quilt Show in Columbus, OH each year. Love the way she displays her booth. I’ll take one of everything!

8. Molly commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 12:36pm

Wow, what a beautiful booth and goodies – I could spend hours in there!

9. Julie commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 12:59pm

Whoa! I’m drooling over all those lovely vintage goodies. I’m a trim-a-holic and would just be in heaven if I stumbled into a booth like this. :-)

10. Jerusalem commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 1:22pm

I am in love! What great goodies she has…I can’t believe those pictures are that old. Crazy.

11. Anonymous commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Heaven. Just heaven…

12. Elaine commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Brimfield! How I love and miss it!! Most of our apartment furnishings are from Brimfield. Speaking from experience, she is going to have to do a lot of dusting of her display. Hee.

13. Tracey commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 5:13pm

Fabulous collection! I love that they are divided by color- really eye catching! How does she inventory all that?

14. mary commented
    May 15th, 2008 at 5:24pm

Help. I’ve died and gone to heaven.

I live in MA and have not yet been able to make the Brimfield pilgrimage. I MUST do it at some point!!

15. Michelle V commented
    May 16th, 2008 at 5:19pm

Thanks for the heads up Holly! I live in RI and work in Providence. I just spent my entire lunch break in Refind pouring over Susan’s ribbons and trims – it was wonderfully therapeutic ;-)
    Love your blog – a daily addiction. I’ve bought several things off of Etsy thannks to you…anything to help the handmade economy going – and it all has a story.
    Thanks again,
    Michelle in RI

16. Samantha commented
    May 16th, 2008 at 5:41pm

Haha, I just bought a tablecloth from her two days ago! Now I wanna go back and tell her that I read about her online. Too funny.

17. angie commented
    May 23rd, 2008 at 6:49pm

What a delightful post! I used to go to antique shows with my mother in the midwest? oh how I loved them!

18. Marie commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 8:16pm

I miss Susan! She used to come to the Mid-Atlantic Quilt show in Williamsburg (now Hampton) VA. I wish she would consider coming back because I need more supplies. (Probably like you I have a huge room but still need more!) ;-)

19. Susan Gower commented
    May 28th, 2010 at 1:10pm

Hi Holly,
    Thank you so much for featuring my business on your Blog spot. We currently are working on our web site. Please visit my web site at your convenience. http://www.niftythriftydrygoods.com. Thank you, Susan Gower