Arts + Crafts, Etsy Faves, Handmade, Rooms

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

May 28, 2008

Are you ready to see what’s shakin’ at Etsy this week? We have a little anthropomorphism, a few ceramics, some children hanging out with their imaginary pals, giddy London, and a pair of black and white striped tights that, admit it, you’d love to wear with bright red wellies!

Etsy Take Five TuesdaysEtsy Take Five Tuesdays
First up is ceramicist Jasna Sokolovic. Born in Yugoslavia and now based in Vancouver, I found her while searching for ceramics recently on Etsy and couldn’t wait to share her work with you today. Her etsy shop is called Jasna Ceramics and she also has a website where she shows us her process and work studio. Her ceramic bracelets are to die for. Love this lady!

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays Now it’s time for a little human/animal hybrid action! Runny Bunny is a full-time studio artist in North Carolina who mixes man and beast using clay and paint to form rather unique pieces of art. Many artists are working with animal heads on human bodies, it’s been quite popular for a long time if you think about it, consider myths and the stories you read as a child, gods and goddesses of times past… I like to see how contemporary artists interpret such stories into their work and think that Runny Bunny does a rather nice job. Etsy recently covered anthropomorphism as a trend right here.

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays
Jessica is the talented lady behind Vol:25, a completely self taught artist who genuinely loves creating and bringing joy to her customers. Her fresh, modern prints are youthful and spirited, they evoke feelings of being a carefree little girl… Attending the town fair, eating so much cotton candy that your tummy aches, chasing fireflies… Her work is imaginative and charming.

Etsy Take Five TuesdaysEtsy Take Five Tuesdays
Here’s a little more cuteness for you today. This time it’s Tollipop, an artist I just found last week and bookmarked right away. I have a feeling that you will like her as much as I do. Her drawings feature creative kids on the go who seem to have quite active imaginations. The artist claims that as a child she had imaginary friends, so I’m guessing her little drawings are of how she remembers her own childhood. These are very sweet.

Etsy Take Five Tuesdays
I really love the mood here in this photo, it brings me back to the first time I visited London 12 years ago. I swear I stood at this same spot admiring the double-decker buses that my beloved Morrissey once sang about. I recall the rush of the morning commute as I stood there completely jet-lagged yet loving every minute of this city called London. This great photo by NestaHome combines both hand drawing and photography, something I hope to see more and more of in the Indie art + craft world because I really love the idea of altering photos in this way. It reminds me of this children’s book that I like called Knuffle Bunny. Have you seen it?

If you’ve missed previous Take Five Tuesdays, please click here to check them out.

(images linked to sources above.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Justine May 28, 2008 at 5:30 am

I love Knuffle Bunny (Mo Willems is the bestest!)– and that photograph!

• Reply vol25 May 28, 2008 at 6:08 am

Thank you so much Holly for the amazing feature! You have no idea how much of an honor it is to find my art on your blog. :) It has been a dream of mine since I first opened vol25 in January. Your blog provides me with MUCH inspiration.

p.s. somewhat ironic… but the colors in chirp away (the top left print) were inspired by a picture you had taken at the Atwater Market in Montreal. The blues, and reds were the beginning of this print. :) So I think its sweet you chose this one.

• Reply Aggie May 28, 2008 at 12:51 pm

I love Vol25 prints so much (colors are amazing!) I purchased 3 last month and one this past weekend (it’s called “Uptown”). And she’s been really kind to me too!!!!

• Reply Anonymous May 28, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I was curious – what happened to the virtual office makeovers you had started?

• Reply Courtney May 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm

I LOVE vol.25’s work! In fact, I’ve featured her work twice as part of my Friday’s Fabulous Finds posts. She’s a totally person, too! I love these finds today.

• Reply kayte May 28, 2008 at 2:29 pm

oooh that photo is great! and i love runny bunny!
    i went out for a tribute to morrissey last week (it was his birthday don’t you know!)and it was so much fun!

• Reply kirsten May 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm

Dear Holly,

I nearly fell off my chair this morning when I logged on for my standard visit to your site. I am at a total loss for words. I feel as if I walked into a room of famous people and they all turned around and said, “Hey, it’s the Tollipop girl!”. Crazy and surreal. Thank you so much for featuring my work! I enjoy so much the inspiration and ideas you share…how wonderful to be a part of it.

• Reply Mischa May 28, 2008 at 4:56 pm

What a fabulous post! Thank you for sharing all these fabulous artists!! I must get to etsy!

• Reply Emmie May 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Those drawings of children are adorable. Simple, yet colorful. But, I can’t help but wonder how come there aren’t any drawings of little boys?

• Reply Artsy Fartsy May 28, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Dear Holly,

Thanks for featuring these fresh artists every Tuesday. I am always scouring for new art, and your “Take 5 Tuesdays” are such a wonderful resource. My husband and I just bought our first home, and I am excited to say that a big part of our home will be decorated with art from Etsy!

Keep up the great work!

• Reply Shelli May 28, 2008 at 8:39 pm

ohhh those ceramics are speaking to me…the bird is amazing AND i think tollipop is an amazing find! those little bunnies are to DIE for cute!! (i love that you show artists i would never ever find on my own)

• Reply Krissy May 28, 2008 at 9:30 pm

This is a great “take five”! Tollipop is AWESOME…

• Reply Leigh May 29, 2008 at 8:20 am

I am so glad you mentioned the art of combining photo and drawing. I just dabbled into it myself with a photograph of mine and a charcoal at my etsy shop.
    Wonderful Take fives Holly:)

• Reply Lorajean May 30, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for sharing these lovely illustrations! I am always eager to see what others are creating, I love discovering new art that I love! :)