Design Amour + Morocco Bound!

You’ll have to visit My Marrakesh for the full scoop but I can’t resist giving you a sneak peek. This is a photo of the newly hand painted ceiling in Maryam’s boutique hotel Peacock Pavilions in Marrakesh, opening in November. Is this not stunning? Who wouldn’t love to sleep beneath a ceiling that looks like a giant suzani blanket? Oh how enchanting… The idea of white walls and wallpaper on the ceiling is wonderful but a hand painted ceiling like this one, I am well, lost for words.

This work is by Design Amour, you can visit their website to learn about their techniques and to view more examples of the magic that they create. Image a large chandelier in this space? Black iron with crystals perhaps? I can’t wait to see what Maryam does with this room, she needs to add interior designer to her already long list of talents.

I heard that the wonderful Design Amour ladies also stenciled concrete floors like this one for Maryam. But we won’t know until she shows us so I’m watching My Marrakesh like a hawk. :>)

And I have a little secret… Okay not so much now because I’m about to tell you. Maryam and her family invited Thorsten and I to Marrakesh in November, just six months from now. Can I wait? NO! I think about it constantly. I want to take you all with me, I think we should organize a huge decor8 sleepover, do you think Maryam will mind? I hope not. When I’m in Marrakesh I vow to post the full scoop here on decor8. I have to share the sights with you, I’m certain you’ll love it and find so much inspiration from all the pattern and color there.

(images from design amour and maryam montague)

Posted by decor8 in shopping, travel, walls on May 29, 2008

1. Cartolina commented
    May 29th, 2008 at 11:04pm

I have loved watching Maryam’s progress. She has such good taste and loves to share her secrets with us.
    Thanks Maryam, and thanks Holly too.

2. magazinecovered commented
    May 29th, 2008 at 11:05pm

hey great blog. i have a friend who shops in marrakesh all the time…so many beautiful things. i’m doing a new blog about shopping in new orleans. if you get a chance have a look, i’d love some feedback from a pro.

3. Mischa commented
    May 29th, 2008 at 11:22pm

Wow! That is an amazing ceiling! And I can’t wait for your posts from Marrakesh!

4. JHill commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 12:17am

isn’t this great! we are going to be staying at peacock pavilions next spring for our honeymoon, i couldn’t be more excited about it. i can’t wait to hear about your trip there!

5. Melanie commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 12:54am

Thank you for posting our work here Holly! It’s a thrill to see it here on your fabulous blog. Everything about Maryam and Marrakech is a pure delight. You can’t imagine the amazing hospitality we received and how blessed were to experience the city under her guidance. Plan to spend plenty of Dirhams because she will show you nothing that you won’t want to buy :)

6. Siw H. commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 1:00am

Yes yes, this ceiling is wonderful…thanks for the inspiration

7. perfectbound commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 2:14am

How exciting! I definitely can’t wait for those posts. I’m sure you won’t find a shortage of loves or things to post about :)

And thank you for making us the weekly blog, Holly! Really, truly.

8. MoraCo Imports commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 5:17am

What beautiful stencils! I would love to one day have a room with similar motifs. Great blog too. Thanks!

9. Maryam in Marrakesh commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 7:20am

These ceilings are even more beautiful in person!!! Melanie has pioneered this amazing Modello process that makes incredible patterns like this possible. I am so in awe of her work, and the all the painters were not only lovely but extremely talented.

Holly, we are going to have *so* much fun when you come! It’s part of my secret plan for your German apartment to have some Moroccan flair. Yay!

10. MarianK commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 11:13am

Wow Holly!Didn’t know that artwork like this still exists nowadays. And do you actually know if they undertake projects internationally?

Anyway, thank you again for the navigation to all the interesting and amazing new things in the design field. As for the Maraquesh invitation-don’t know if you meant it- but my husband and I always wanted to go to Maroko and November is a great time for us. It would be great to have the chance to meet so many interesting people from different countries and backgrounds who share the same passion.

Thanks again.
    Marianthi Greece

11. MarianK commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 11:14am

Thanks again.
    Marianthi Greece

12. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 11:38am

Gorgeous….I agree, who wouldn’t want to wake up and fall asleep under such a lovely canopy? Wow! Oh, boy! You get to visit! That is so great, can’t wait for your posts from there!
    xo
    Melissa

13. muchacha K and SPEAKEASY BOUTIQUE commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 4:11pm

Holy cows…one cow simply isn’t enough for the coolness of this ceiling…

14. Amy commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 4:25pm

We were in Marrakesh last year- it is sensory overload. In the best way possible. Have fun!!

15. Katrina Lynn commented
    May 30th, 2008 at 6:44pm

I cannot believe how after scouring the Peacock Pavillions and My Marrakesh for only 10 mins, I want to go there soooooooooo bad! I think I just made a decision to start a “My Wish for Marrakesh” piggy bank! Watch out Maryam! I’m headed your way! ;)

16. Yoli commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 6:10pm

I am also headed her way in the not too distant future. I am loving the ceiling and can’t wait to see all of the wonderful ideas that will make PP THE place to stay in Marrakesh.

17. MoraCo Imports commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 7:30pm

Once again, I think this is all gorgeous. I am originally from Morocco, but was born in the US and raised in Spain. Even though I am from there (and have a business selling Moroccan decor pieces), I feel like I am somewhat out of touch with new (beautiful!) places like Peacock Pavilion in Marrakesh. Good luck with the venture, Maryam!

Some friends of mine are getting married and want to spend part of their honeymoon in Marrakesh. They asked me for recommendations, but I found myself at a loss,… mostly because I don’t live in Morocco. And, when I visit for business, its mostly on a tight budget.

Maryam, or anyone else, do you have any suggestions that you wouldn’t mind sharing.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Nawal

18. travelingmama commented
    June 5th, 2008 at 3:30pm

Oh, yes! A visit to Marrakesh is on my list as well! I cannot wait to see Maryam’s beautiful olive grove! You will love it here in Morocco- especially in November when the weather is nice!

19. Simone commented
    June 19th, 2008 at 8:53am

I am very seriously looking at a visit to Marrakech myself! Although probably not until around March next year. I can’t wait to hear what you make of it!

20. sandra cohen commented
    February 13th, 2009 at 12:32pm

I’ve always been fascinated by Morocco and the Moroccan style home decorating and interior design. Few days back i came across this website that has some unique Moroccan home decorating products and architectural elements, check it out:

Cheers,