New Revolution of Decorating

I am so pleased that Domino magazine talks about the new revolution of fabrics and wallpapers in their current issue — I love that they term this fresh idea in design as ‘So Right Now’ (Domino, Democratic Decorating, pages 39-40, June/July issue) and that they highlight the work of independent designers Erica Wakerly, Twenty2, Of the Young and the Restless, and Rubie Green referring to them as the new revolutionaries. Yay!

With a voice as influential as Domino giving this new design revolution their stamp of approval, perhaps things will continue in this direction and designers will consider producing collections that aren’t to the trade only, something I’ve been hoping would occur for many years now. It’s one of the key reasons why I started writing this blog, I was frustrated with interior design because it was quite inaccessible a few years back, most felt so shut out by their local Design Center and had to work only with professionals for quality materials. This bothered me because I knew that there existed more and I wanted to showcase that, but how? I figured talking about it here would help and so did many other bloggers. I think it was around ’05 that Domino premiered its first issue. Etsy opened its doors. Craft fairs grew in America quite rapidly. More blogs popped up with strong, encouraging voices written by passionate authors. And together, only a few years later, we have all made a difference. Independent designers are challenging the traditional approach to the buying of designer goods, including the availability of quality products like fabric.

I guess you can say that when I opened Domino this weekend and read Democratic Decorating, I felt amazingly proud of us all. Bloggers and designers, book publishers like Chronicle who push so many lesser-known talents into the world, Domino who came in and changed the face of American design magazines (at least in my opinion), Etsy and other indie shopping sites, we should all partake in a global group hug for a moment because our work, our voices, are making a difference. One design blogger or a single magazine would not have brought about this change. We need our global community currently in place to launch our ideas and watch our seeds take root and grow into change. What a great feeling. Can I get an Amen!?

Textiles from Of the Young and the Restless.

The very thing many of us want are beautiful products not intended only for the pros. This want creates a constant need for a new design mentality resulting in products that meet our needs. And though to-the-trade has its place in design and may stay on the scene for years to come, at least we have more alternatives. Many indie designers and artists are finally able to make a difference, turn a profit, support themselves, and do what they love in the process. Now that we are here, and continuing to make advancement in this area, would you ever go back? Never!

(photograph: holly becker for decor8, fabric from of the young and the restless)

Posted by decor8 in textiles, walls on June 02, 2008

1. Anonymous commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 4:30pm

While I certainly appreciate designers which are not limited to selling to the trade only, I still feel Domino is a little out of touch on what “democratic decorating” should really mean. There are two parts to availabile design: (1) being able to purchase something from the designer directly, and (2) being able to actually afford it. I love the designers featured in the article and I know their product is well worth the cost. Still, in an article entitled “democratic decorating,” it would be nice to have some more afforable options presented. Over $100 a yard to reupholster a chair which will require upwards of 6 yards is just beyond my reach. I can’t help but think others are in the same boat. I guess this just comes to mind after having browsed through Domino, Canadian House & Home and Living Etc. this weekend – the last two seemed to feature more items I could reasonably afford than I’ve ever noticed in Domino…

2. Megan commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 5:11pm

This is my favorite part about this issue. As someone searching for unique fabrics for my living room valances and bedroom curtains I feel frustrated with what is available to me. Seeing the websites they listed in the article has re-sparked my excitement.

3. bowie style commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 5:27pm

being in the Uk i cant comment too much on domino magazine – but i certainly wouldnt want to go back to the days before blogs and etsy existed.
    they’ve changed things for designers so much , and all for the better in my view.

4. LIBERTY POST EDITOR commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 6:05pm

Hello from Canada Holly, As always, loving your genius and blog! I am wondering if you can help me. Do you know the artist that painted the huge ‘LOVE’ painting in the hallway of Carrie Bradshaw’s newly decorated apt. in the Sex and the City movie. It was near the front hallway area of the set near the end of the movie. It was awesome. I’ve searched online and can’t source anything. Thanks!

5. anna commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 6:17pm

I say Hollyuja!
    But isn’t it strange that in a world of high technics and actually living in a machine world that indie design and handmade crafts have such influence and power? I think it’s quite natural, there will always extreme counterpoints. But it’s awesome how strong this influence is.

6. Anonymous commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 8:13pm

Holly,

Thanks very much for calling out this feature. As one of the partners/founders of twenty2, we are thrilled to have been selected by Domino for this article, but have also always appreciated the support and enthusiasm of bloggers like you who help spread the word about new design and have definitely helped get the word out about twenty2 since we began making wallpaper in 2003. Take care! Kyra Hartnett

7. Mademoiselle Frou-Frou commented
    June 2nd, 2008 at 11:14pm

when i was reading this issue of Domino, I was thinking the SAME thing – i hope more fabrics/materials become available to the consumer (not the trade). it’s just so much easier being able to buy directly from the manufacturer (and probably better priced!).
    xo alison

8. chloe van paris commented
    June 3rd, 2008 at 3:25am

Thank you for this wonderful post this will help me a lot in my search.

9. Courtney commented
    June 3rd, 2008 at 10:31pm

holly, i find your words so inspiring, as always. thanks again!

10. Gina commented