DIY Project: Succulent Terrarium

Lindsay Thompson created a gorgeous and inexpensive succulent terrarium this weekend and asked if she could share it with decor8 readers. Um… Let me think about it Lindsay… JA! This is so nice, I couldn’t refuse. She outlines all the details over on her blog, but here’s the quick and dirty version.

Step No. 01 | Purchase Supplies: Glass container, rocks, horticultural charcoal, cactus soil, plants. Details about each on Lindsay’s blog.

Step No. 02 | Create: Layer rocks and charcoal, add soil, plant your succulents. Details on how to create a succulent terrarium that doesn’t suc, here.

Step No. 03 | Add stuff, embellish. Ribbon, a garden marker, tiny plastic animals, whatever you want.

Step No. 04 | Label it if you plan to give it as a prezzie. Label shown above reads: How to care for your Succulent Terrarium. No. 01: Don’t over water. No. 02: These succas like it hot! (full sun). No. 03: Love on them & enjoy.

You know you wanna make one now, don’t you? I do! If anyone else has a good DIY that they’d like to submit to decor8, please contact me at decor8blog AT yahoo DOT com. Thank you Lindsay, this is great!

(images from lindsay thompson)

Posted by decor8 in diy on June 10, 2008

1. Anna at D16 commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 2:00pm

Oh, this is so sweet. I want to give succulent gardens as presents now!

2. LINDSAY commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 2:03pm

This is a great project! I especially like this for my kids. A bit of a small scale pet-garden. The embellishing would be extra fun for them. I can see my daughter’s tiny Alice in Wonderland doll peeking through the glass :)

3. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 2:30pm

so cute! I love those tiny succulents!
    xo
    Melissa

4. Cher Ami commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 2:32pm

wow i really want to make this. haha I love the little “we are hardcore” sign

5. coolhntr commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 3:26pm

I love terrariums and have been making them all summer. I love some of the ideas you had here on how to label them & mess with the layers. Great stuff.

You are wonderful!
    Jen

6. Tracey commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 4:40pm

Great project- especially for little ones. My little one could add a flower fairy or two and we would probably use aquarium gravel for some natural looking hot pink color (Ha Ha)! Someday, I will live in a grown up world- and then it will probably be not as much fun.

7. hina rana commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:49pm

i just got my hands on a really old issue of house and garden today,and i was reading about terrariums,and it made me fall in love with them.Thankyou for sharing this,i’m looking forward to make one as a gift for my mom.

8. stetson commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 8:11pm

I am so glad you all enjoyed it! I am seriously addicted. And… I have to admit, my Home Depot had a great selection of “starter” succulents to choose from… who would have thought!?!

9. S.hoptalk commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 8:52pm

Love this DIY…so great of you to share it with your readers. What a lovely hostess gift this would make!
    ~Suzanne

10. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 1:01am

This is such a sweet little terrarium ~ thank you for sharing Lindsay and Holly! I’ve long been a fan of succulents, especially because they seem to be very understanding with me and my “not so consistent” watering habits.

11. Jennifer Perkins - Naughty Secretary Club commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 5:24am

I love terrariums (and succulents for that matter). This one is so cute! My friend got married last year and as her wedding gift she asked each member of the Austin Craft Mafia to make her a centerpiece so I made a wedding themed Terrarium for mine! I had a little vintage bride and groom cake topper right smack in the center of all the little succulents. I should have included instructions with mine like Lindsay did.

12. Antique Therapy commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 5:27am

Hi Holly, I live near Boston as well and am an antique dealer who specializes in French and Shabby Chic antiques. If you are ever in need of anything for your clients let me know and I can do my best to find it for you. I am in a group shop called North Bridge Antiques in Concord Ma. The succulent idea is a good one. I actually did a blog post about the ones on my deck at home. I also have been trying to find vintage containers and filling them with succulents to sell with the copper markers s well. They are so fun and zen. If you get a chance come check out my blog at www. antiquetherapy.com. I would love to switch links with you too. I love your site!!

13. Mrs.French commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 8:28pm

Oh how I love this project! Thanks for posting it.

14. Jeffrey commented
    November 10th, 2009 at 1:52pm

These tiny succulents have so much more impact than a large succulent! Great miniature garden!!

.-= Jeffrey´s last blog ..JEFFREY JAMES MODERN NOW AVAILABLE ETSY!!! =-.

15. Jeffrey commented
    November 10th, 2009 at 2:27pm

The little succulents have such a great impact en masse!
    .-= Jeffrey´s last blog ..DESERT SANDS =-.

16. Emily-Claire commented
    March 21st, 2011 at 3:34pm

This is adorable! What a unique idea for a gift!

I just made a post and video on creating succulent terrariums. Check it out if you get a chance: