DIY, Objects

Print Your Own Fabric at Spoonflower

June 10, 2008

This is sure to appear on every design blog known to mankind, and I hope it does because we have to spread the word! The second I read about Spoonflower on Whip Up I thought about the many designers who write in asking for help in bringing their patterns to fabric. I wish I had clear cut answers for everyone, but often I just don’t know what to say since I was not trained in textiles and have very little knowledge of that industry as a whole. Of course, I wouldn’t mind if someone who is in the business, including teachers, could give us some feedback because there are so many out there hoping to turn their designs into textiles. Do you know much about how one can get started?

Print Your Own Fabric at Spoonflower
Until we know for sure, if you aren’t looking to become the next Hable Construction and want to print your designs in smaller runs, Spoonflower in NC is certainly an option. I’m so excited about this company. They’ve launched a site where you can upload a pattern or image of your choice and they will print it onto 100% cotton fabric and have it delivered within a week from ordering. AWESOMENESS. During beta, you can only order up to 5 yards (this may increase in the future) and the best part is that you can request an 8×8″ sample swatch for $5 or a 21×18″ fat quarter for $11 before you commit. The fabric is $18 per yard.

Spoonflower also helps when it comes to figuring out how to create a repeat pattern in their FAQ section. BIG HELP. You can view a slideshow on the entire process here.

What do you think about this?

(image from spoonflower)

You Might Also Like

46 Comments

• Reply Meg June 10, 2008 at 4:59 pm

I am super excited, I received my invite, I just don’t know what to print up! Any suggestions would be great.

• Reply juliette June 10, 2008 at 5:16 pm

definitely cool. now if only i had the software to digitize my dreams!

• Reply Ashes and Milk June 10, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Holly! I think a lot of people will have fun with this!

• Reply ellencrimitrent June 10, 2008 at 5:45 pm

I think this could be interesting to see but not sure how cost effective even at 18.00 a yard which means you would have to at least double it to make any sort of profit and 36.00 a yard is allot. However it might be good if you were to make some items such as pillows, clothes, bags etc. So on that note I might have to do some myself!!! Thanks for the info Holly and you should get your inspiration package next week after I do my art show this weekend. Looks like it will be nice and not too hot.

• Reply Casey June 10, 2008 at 5:48 pm

oh wow, this is great!!! thanks for this!

• Reply Sarah June 10, 2008 at 5:57 pm

this is frickin’ awesome! i actually have done some screenprinting on my own and have a fabric styling degree from FIT, but even with all that background, I still think I might order a few yards from these guys of some prints I’ve had knocking around in my head for a while. I’ll certainly let you know how it works out!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente June 10, 2008 at 6:00 pm

wow! that is super cool! I can’t wait to see what folks come up with!
    xo
    Melissa

• Reply Molly June 10, 2008 at 6:14 pm

How cool! I’ve been hand block printing fabric, but I’d love to have some printed here and see how it goes!

Thanks for sharing this great resource Holly!

• Reply Amelia June 10, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Wow, that is fantastic! I shall have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing this fab news!

• Reply jess gonacha June 10, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!! I, too, have always wondered about turning designs into textiles, and this will be oh-so-useful.
    WHAT A GREAT POST!!!!

• Reply Stacy June 10, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Holly,

If folks want info on larger runs (but still smallish) of say 100-200 yards. I can certainly give some info out on that. It is a bit lengthy so if anyone wants to review how we did it I’d be happy to chat via email. They can just go to http://www.pixiedustdecor.com and click on contact us.

Thanks!!

Stacy

• Reply Anonymous June 10, 2008 at 6:59 pm

wow, thanks for this! I have always wanted to do my own textile designing since I wrote a term paper on it in one of my interior design classes. What a great way to learn.

• Reply Cindy Ann Ganaden June 10, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I just signed up!! This is great. Hummm…now I just have to decide what I will print.

• Reply fatafelice June 10, 2008 at 7:17 pm

This is wonderful! I always have the problem of knowing exactly what I want and not being able to find it. If I can make the desgin myself, I would be set. And I think that aside from the commercial possibilities, it is actually great for a DIY decorator. $18/yard isn’t bad at all compared to most decorator fabrics (for those of us who have to buy retail).

• Reply hina rana June 10, 2008 at 7:21 pm

i don’t know what kind of digital printer they are using, but for designers who want to start something of their own and they don’t want to be in the flat bed printing mess, plotter printing is always the best option,the results you can get are more vibrant as compared to any other style of printing.

• Reply Yoli June 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Holly they are lovely, I wish I could do that!

• Reply willo June 10, 2008 at 7:41 pm

I’m so excited for this, Holly! I too received my invite & just need to put some files together for upload.

Super cool idea & they seem like really nice people. yay for technology!

xo

• Reply Anonymous June 10, 2008 at 7:53 pm

Holly, as usual you’re a lifesaver! I’ve been searching high and low for a local(Brooklyn) screen printer who will print yardage. I’m in a pickle with digital prints b/c I use eco fabrics and inks and I don’t believe that’s available yet. Would love to know if anyone has any resources for the above!

-karen

• Reply Cathe June 10, 2008 at 8:32 pm

WOW, this is great! I have been searching for something like this for years! YAY, YAY, YAY!

• Reply Shelli June 10, 2008 at 8:34 pm

omg! i almost screamed when i saw this post! yay!!!! i have been scouring (and i mean scouring!) the net trying to find someone to print up fabric for me. it does seem a tad expensive…but it’s a fab (and much needed!) idea.

xo shells

• Reply bschwanke June 10, 2008 at 8:50 pm

I love this idea, and I’ll definitely try it out if just for the novelty! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Anonymous June 10, 2008 at 9:02 pm

WOW!!! You have really made my day! I can NOT wait to do this!! Amazing and not even that expensive! Love it. Thank you thank you thank you …!!

• Reply A Print A Day June 10, 2008 at 9:07 pm

spoonflower is an EXCELLENT resource for crafters, and it’s nice to know that a company that makes print on demand so easy exists.

in regards to the cost issue, 18 dollars is actually very very fair.

just to give you an idea, i used to design product and textile in souther california, and we’d often go to a textile printer in downtown la for small print runs to make samples. price-wise, it cost 200 dollars for color setup alone. per yard for twill, it was 75-80 dollars on TOP of the said 200. 70 dollars was our “discounted” price because we were a frequent customer. so when i asked spoonflower how much it was to print, i was very very pleasantly surprised with how good the price was.

but i’m still trying to figure out what design to upload…i think i might try out 3 designs to see :)

• Reply Andy Mathis June 10, 2008 at 9:50 pm

whoa. kewl.

• Reply Anonymous June 10, 2008 at 10:34 pm

does anyone know a resource for making custom rugs?

• Reply Cara June 10, 2008 at 10:50 pm

I am in love with spoonflower. I am just finishing up my designs to place my first order!

• Reply Supa June 10, 2008 at 11:29 pm

I am thrilled about this one! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Patricia June 11, 2008 at 12:07 am

I signed up a few days ago and still haven’t received my invite. I hope it won’t be long!

• Reply lizzyl June 11, 2008 at 12:29 am

awesome and fun! can’t wait to try this!

• Reply Marisa and Creative Thursday June 11, 2008 at 1:05 am

Oh this is soooooo exciting!! ~ thanks for spreading the word!!!

• Reply All Things Lovely June 11, 2008 at 2:45 am

Brilliant idea! Now… what to have printed?

• Reply enna June 11, 2008 at 9:09 am

GREAT!!! I’ve been craving to have my own fabrics printed for soooo long and now there’s an option. I wil check out the conditions to see if they deliver to Europe as well. THANKS HOLLY!!!

• Reply brand-eye June 11, 2008 at 12:18 pm

this is such a great idea. thanks!

• Reply ambrosia porcelain June 11, 2008 at 1:48 pm

This perfect! I’ve been wanting to have my designs printed on fabric! Thanks for the post!
    Linda

• Reply layersofmeaning June 11, 2008 at 2:06 pm

COOL!!! thanks telling us about it!

• Reply Uncle Beefy June 11, 2008 at 2:58 pm

This is JOYOUS! How great! It’s a great start :) Thanks, Holly!

• Reply gadgetgirl June 11, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I just got my fabric in the mail and it’s fantastic! Can’t wait to do more & more.

• Reply amy June 12, 2008 at 1:37 am

this is AMAZING!!!! just opened up a whole new set of doors for me – thanks!

• Reply Jennae @ Green Your Decor June 12, 2008 at 2:58 am

I am a graphic artist by trade, but I love messing around with patterns. The idea of being able to turn some of my ideas into short-run fabircs is very intriguing. Then I can REALLY customize my decorating! That alone is incentive enough.

• Reply Jen June 12, 2008 at 7:11 pm

hello, anyone know a site for custom rug design? THANKS

• Reply Mike June 13, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Hello Holly,

Thank you so much for posting this item. This is going to change my life!

Mike

• Reply M. Patrizio June 16, 2008 at 4:17 am

FINALLY! YAY! Everyone on the internet has been begging for this for years! I can’t wait to try it out myself!

• Reply Rabecca June 22, 2008 at 5:49 am

you have to get an invite how does one get one? thanks

• Reply L&coolj July 9, 2008 at 5:36 am

I was just musing about how I would love to have an easy way of testing my own design on a fabric – this is just perfect! Thank you so much for posting it.

Rebecca: To get an invite, just sign up at Spoonflower website. They will send you one out in a little while.

• Reply meighan August 28, 2008 at 12:22 pm

I’m a textile designer who was just layed off :( …. but I’m thrilled :) by the possibility of trying to print some of my own designs through Spoonflower.
    PLEASE HELP!!! I only know the very specific Ned Graphics textile software (about $9,000!!!).
    I need to buy my own software (cheaper, obviously, than Ned)… what is best and reasonably easy/quick to learn?

Is it Photoshop, is it Illustrator?
    Thanks!!! Meighan

• Reply Lynne November 13, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I’ve just discovered this – but better late than never! I was even going to email you with my cool new discovery, but I am obviously SO behind the times – I only started reading these design blogs a few months ago. Still, it’s a great idea, am trying to think up a foolproof idea myself.

Lynnes last blog post: Great ornament exchange