Print Your Own Fabric at Spoonflower

This is sure to appear on every design blog known to mankind, and I hope it does because we have to spread the word! The second I read about Spoonflower on Whip Up I thought about the many designers who write in asking for help in bringing their patterns to fabric. I wish I had clear cut answers for everyone, but often I just don’t know what to say since I was not trained in textiles and have very little knowledge of that industry as a whole. Of course, I wouldn’t mind if someone who is in the business, including teachers, could give us some feedback because there are so many out there hoping to turn their designs into textiles. Do you know much about how one can get started?

Until we know for sure, if you aren’t looking to become the next Hable Construction and want to print your designs in smaller runs, Spoonflower in NC is certainly an option. I’m so excited about this company. They’ve launched a site where you can upload a pattern or image of your choice and they will print it onto 100% cotton fabric and have it delivered within a week from ordering. AWESOMENESS. During beta, you can only order up to 5 yards (this may increase in the future) and the best part is that you can request an 8×8″ sample swatch for $5 or a 21×18″ fat quarter for $11 before you commit. The fabric is $18 per yard.

Spoonflower also helps when it comes to figuring out how to create a repeat pattern in their FAQ section. BIG HELP. You can view a slideshow on the entire process here.

What do you think about this?

(image from spoonflower)

Posted by decor8 in diy, textiles on June 10, 2008

1. Meg commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 4:59pm

I am super excited, I received my invite, I just don’t know what to print up! Any suggestions would be great.

2. juliette commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 5:16pm

definitely cool. now if only i had the software to digitize my dreams!

3. Ashes and Milk commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 5:30pm

Thanks Holly! I think a lot of people will have fun with this!

4. ellencrimitrent commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 5:45pm

I think this could be interesting to see but not sure how cost effective even at 18.00 a yard which means you would have to at least double it to make any sort of profit and 36.00 a yard is allot. However it might be good if you were to make some items such as pillows, clothes, bags etc. So on that note I might have to do some myself!!! Thanks for the info Holly and you should get your inspiration package next week after I do my art show this weekend. Looks like it will be nice and not too hot.

5. Casey commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 5:48pm

oh wow, this is great!!! thanks for this!

6. Sarah commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 5:57pm

this is frickin’ awesome! i actually have done some screenprinting on my own and have a fabric styling degree from FIT, but even with all that background, I still think I might order a few yards from these guys of some prints I’ve had knocking around in my head for a while. I’ll certainly let you know how it works out!

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 6:00pm

wow! that is super cool! I can’t wait to see what folks come up with!
    xo
    Melissa

8. Molly commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 6:14pm

How cool! I’ve been hand block printing fabric, but I’d love to have some printed here and see how it goes!

Thanks for sharing this great resource Holly!

9. Amelia commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 6:31pm

Wow, that is fantastic! I shall have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing this fab news!

10. jess gonacha commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 6:43pm

Thank you so much for posting this!! I, too, have always wondered about turning designs into textiles, and this will be oh-so-useful.
    WHAT A GREAT POST!!!!

11. Stacy commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 6:49pm

Holly,

If folks want info on larger runs (but still smallish) of say 100-200 yards. I can certainly give some info out on that. It is a bit lengthy so if anyone wants to review how we did it I’d be happy to chat via email. They can just go to http://www.pixiedustdecor.com and click on contact us.

Thanks!!

Stacy

12. Anonymous commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 6:59pm

wow, thanks for this! I have always wanted to do my own textile designing since I wrote a term paper on it in one of my interior design classes. What a great way to learn.

13. Cindy Ann Ganaden commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:11pm

I just signed up!! This is great. Hummm…now I just have to decide what I will print.

14. fatafelice commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:17pm

This is wonderful! I always have the problem of knowing exactly what I want and not being able to find it. If I can make the desgin myself, I would be set. And I think that aside from the commercial possibilities, it is actually great for a DIY decorator. $18/yard isn’t bad at all compared to most decorator fabrics (for those of us who have to buy retail).

15. hina rana commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:21pm

i don’t know what kind of digital printer they are using, but for designers who want to start something of their own and they don’t want to be in the flat bed printing mess, plotter printing is always the best option,the results you can get are more vibrant as compared to any other style of printing.

16. Yoli commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:27pm

Holly they are lovely, I wish I could do that!

17. willo commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:41pm

I’m so excited for this, Holly! I too received my invite & just need to put some files together for upload.

Super cool idea & they seem like really nice people. yay for technology!

xo

18. Anonymous commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 7:53pm

Holly, as usual you’re a lifesaver! I’ve been searching high and low for a local(Brooklyn) screen printer who will print yardage. I’m in a pickle with digital prints b/c I use eco fabrics and inks and I don’t believe that’s available yet. Would love to know if anyone has any resources for the above!

-karen

19. Cathe commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 8:32pm

WOW, this is great! I have been searching for something like this for years! YAY, YAY, YAY!

20. Shelli commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 8:34pm

omg! i almost screamed when i saw this post! yay!!!! i have been scouring (and i mean scouring!) the net trying to find someone to print up fabric for me. it does seem a tad expensive…but it’s a fab (and much needed!) idea.

xo shells

21. bschwanke commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 8:50pm

I love this idea, and I’ll definitely try it out if just for the novelty! Thanks so much for sharing!

22. Anonymous commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 9:02pm

WOW!!! You have really made my day! I can NOT wait to do this!! Amazing and not even that expensive! Love it. Thank you thank you thank you …!!

23. A Print A Day commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 9:07pm

spoonflower is an EXCELLENT resource for crafters, and it’s nice to know that a company that makes print on demand so easy exists.

in regards to the cost issue, 18 dollars is actually very very fair.

just to give you an idea, i used to design product and textile in souther california, and we’d often go to a textile printer in downtown la for small print runs to make samples. price-wise, it cost 200 dollars for color setup alone. per yard for twill, it was 75-80 dollars on TOP of the said 200. 70 dollars was our “discounted” price because we were a frequent customer. so when i asked spoonflower how much it was to print, i was very very pleasantly surprised with how good the price was.

but i’m still trying to figure out what design to upload…i think i might try out 3 designs to see :)

24. Andy Mathis commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 9:50pm

whoa. kewl.

25. Anonymous commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 10:34pm

does anyone know a resource for making custom rugs?

26. Cara commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 10:50pm

I am in love with spoonflower. I am just finishing up my designs to place my first order!

27. Supa commented
    June 10th, 2008 at 11:29pm

I am thrilled about this one! Thanks so much for sharing!

28. Patricia commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 12:07am

I signed up a few days ago and still haven’t received my invite. I hope it won’t be long!

29. lizzyl commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 12:29am

awesome and fun! can’t wait to try this!

30. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 1:05am

Oh this is soooooo exciting!! ~ thanks for spreading the word!!!

31. All Things Lovely commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 2:45am

Brilliant idea! Now… what to have printed?

32. enna commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 9:09am

GREAT!!! I’ve been craving to have my own fabrics printed for soooo long and now there’s an option. I wil check out the conditions to see if they deliver to Europe as well. THANKS HOLLY!!!

33. brand-eye commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 12:18pm

this is such a great idea. thanks!

34. ambrosia porcelain commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 1:48pm

This perfect! I’ve been wanting to have my designs printed on fabric! Thanks for the post!
    Linda

35. layersofmeaning commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 2:06pm

COOL!!! thanks telling us about it!

36. Uncle Beefy commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 2:58pm

This is JOYOUS! How great! It’s a great start :) Thanks, Holly!

37. gadgetgirl commented
    June 11th, 2008 at 3:01pm

I just got my fabric in the mail and it’s fantastic! Can’t wait to do more & more.

38. amy commented
    June 12th, 2008 at 1:37am

this is AMAZING!!!! just opened up a whole new set of doors for me – thanks!

39. Jennae @ Green Your Decor commented
    June 12th, 2008 at 2:58am

I am a graphic artist by trade, but I love messing around with patterns. The idea of being able to turn some of my ideas into short-run fabircs is very intriguing. Then I can REALLY customize my decorating! That alone is incentive enough.

40. Jen commented
    June 12th, 2008 at 7:11pm

hello, anyone know a site for custom rug design? THANKS

41. Mike commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Hello Holly,

Thank you so much for posting this item. This is going to change my life!

Mike

42. M. Patrizio commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 4:17am

FINALLY! YAY! Everyone on the internet has been begging for this for years! I can’t wait to try it out myself!

43. Rabecca commented
    June 22nd, 2008 at 5:49am

you have to get an invite how does one get one? thanks

44. L&coolj commented
    July 9th, 2008 at 5:36am

I was just musing about how I would love to have an easy way of testing my own design on a fabric – this is just perfect! Thank you so much for posting it.

Rebecca: To get an invite, just sign up at Spoonflower website. They will send you one out in a little while.

45. meighan commented
    August 28th, 2008 at 12:22pm

I’m a textile designer who was just layed off :( …. but I’m thrilled :) by the possibility of trying to print some of my own designs through Spoonflower.
    PLEASE HELP!!! I only know the very specific Ned Graphics textile software (about $9,000!!!).
    I need to buy my own software (cheaper, obviously, than Ned)… what is best and reasonably easy/quick to learn?

Is it Photoshop, is it Illustrator?
    Thanks!!! Meighan

46. Lynne commented
    November 13th, 2008 at 7:01pm

I’ve just discovered this – but better late than never! I was even going to email you with my cool new discovery, but I am obviously SO behind the times – I only started reading these design blogs a few months ago. Still, it’s a great idea, am trying to think up a foolproof idea myself.

Lynnes last blog post: Great ornament exchange