Catherine Ledner {+ Her Animals!}

If this isn’t the cutest way to start the weekend… Say it along with me, awwww. If you are an animal lover like I am, you’ll want to hug and kiss Catherine’s crew. Just look at these darling creatures modeling in front of some of our favorite wallpapers, including the lovely Cole & Son Cow Parsley in yellow. I love this little owl, I have always wanted to own either an owl or a trained falcon that I could send off on little missions. :) I dreamed of them as a little girl. I think in reality keeping one would not be practical for me, so I have set my heart on brightly colored finches or a lovely little blue + yellow parakeet instead. Off topic, but do you have a bird or have you ever enjoyed one as a pet? Tell me, tell me! I love the little guy shown below. He’s darling!

Okay back on topic. This is the work of Californian photography Catherine Ledner who is a professional photographer with an impressive list of clients that include Vanity Fair, Travel & Leisure, and New York Times Magazine to name a few. I can’t stop looking at her photos, such personality!

I can only imagine the patience and skill involved in photographing animals — I think she must snap a thousand photos and spend days in the field to capture the perfect image. These limited edition prints range in price from $250 – 1,700. To view more of her work, please visit her website + store, Catherine’s Animals where she features an array of animals from A-Z!

(photography: catherine ledner)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, walls on June 13, 2008

1. R. Robyn commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 7:29am

I really like this concept! Her photos are beautiful and unexpected.

2. Steven commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 8:46am

I love the photos! But on your desire to have a bird … unless you have a really large aviary, doesn’t keeping a bird in a cage seem cruel? I never could understand this concept .

Try setting up a bird feeder outside a window at your house so you can enjoy the birds and the birds can enjoy themselves :)

3. emadethis commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 1:03pm

I love these pictures. She captures such fun moments. I think gourmet.com used several of her images in an article on old recipes that have fallen out of fashion. It was a bit much to think of these sweet little animals on people’s plates, but the pictures are beautiful. Where does she get all the incredible wallpapers?

4. decor8 commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 1:33pm

Steven thank you for your comment! I long have thought about this. I would love an aviary! I have a bird feeder currently, it is attached to my window, so I watch the birds each day. We have hundreds in our backyard.

While some view keeping birds in cages as cruelty, I really never thought about it. My parakeet was always a happy little guy. Of course, I let him out of his cage daily to fly around my bedroom as a child. Hmmm. It’s good that you mentioned this, I can do some research.

5. LuckyLucyChance commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 2:45pm

Wow, what a find! Her work is amazing! I hope you dont mind if I post on my blog too, I will pass the credit along to you :) Thanks

6. Rekoj commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 4:02pm

These are delightful!

On the bird conversation, I used to keep a rather large aviary of finches in my living room. It was a pretty simple structure built onto a countertop with cupboards below for supplies. It basically was a wood frame with strong wire mesh and lots of seasoned pear branches.
    When you live with birds you get a much stronger sense of their individual personalities and voices! And of course each little friend began showing up in my art.

The flock was quite content and happy – especially because the aviary door was usually open when I was home for longer flight. As it got dark in the evenings they would return home to roost.

For finches, you want to build tall. For parakeets, long.

I’ve gathered a wealth of info so just email me if you start thinking you want to build one!

7. Suzanne commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 4:04pm

So beautiful, and so unique! Thanks for sharing this – I love her photos – especially that first one of the owl – adorable!
    I have always loved birds – when I was young, my dad built a bird house & feeder just outside our kitchen window and I would watch them every morning while I ate breakfast before going to school… I felt like I was having breakfast with them :)

8. Anonymous commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 5:07pm

We adopted a blue parakeet that was found outside on a curb. We named him Scotty and he quickly learned to say his name, our chocolate labs’s name (Petey), and both my name and my husbands. What was amazing was that Petey and Scotty became the best of friends. He would call Petey’s name and Petey would run over to him! He would spend most of his time perched on our shoulders, flying from one of us to another and would often perch on Petey’s back.

Sadly, Scotty became sick and passed away. We went to a bird specialist and they told us that parakeets often developed tumors and they felt if we tried to remove it he wouldn’t survive the surgery.

We would love to have another bird but we recently adopted a cat and don’t think he would be as bird friendly as our dog!

9. Anonymous commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 7:58pm

Catherine Ledner also has a lovely book titled “Animal House”. I purchased my copy at Barnes & Noble, but it’s also available at amazon.com. The book features a ton of her animal photos, along with poems, quotes, fold-out pages, and pages with die cuts. It’s a great book to give as a gift!
    jmv

10. bussbuss commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 8:14pm

love these holly! had to feature them on bussbuss too – thanks for the great find!

xx,
    kelly

11. Mademoiselle Frou-Frou commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 10:05pm

that is too cute! i want to do that with my animals too.
    xo alison

12. rachel commented
    June 14th, 2008 at 12:24am

I love Catherine’s photographs and am lucky enough to own one. They are gorgeous in person and be sure to see her aforementioned book!

13. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 3:33am

In love with these photographs! Thank you for introducing me….*sigh*
    xo