Kareem Rizk: The Suitcase

I could fill my walls with the work of Australian collage artist Kareem Rizk from The Suitcase. I felt a connection to it immediately so sharing it with you right away felt oh so necessary.

It’s exciting to find work like this, I see so much on a daily basis as a blogger that often one thing blends into the next and I can feel a little lost in the great sea of it all sometimes. Not because what I am exposed to isn’t lovely, but in order to write about something it needs to reach me on some level, I need to somehow relate to it or understand it in a creative sense. This is all so hard to explain in words as it is very emotional and emotions are never easy to put into words. The point is that I filter a lot of work on a daily basis and in the end, I write about what truly grabs me. Like Kareem Rizk.

These collages made my day as they are composed of the exact colors that I’m into right now and the layered elements make me think of some of my most cherished activities like foreign travel, hitting flea markets, journaling, and relaxing by the sea. Most of the art that I purchase is mixed media art. There’s a story in the layers, all of the found elements, paint, torn pieces of vintage papers, everything creates an emotion, a bigger picture. Something about the texture and imperfection, how random pieces connect to form a beautiful picture, it feels very alive and real.

Do these inspire you as well?

Psst: His website + portfolio can be found here.

(images from kareem rizk)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, etsy, walls on June 13, 2008

1. Natalie commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 5:59am

Kareem’s work is beautiful, I’ve run across him before.
    I love that there are more and more Aussie artists being featured here! Aussie Aussie Aussie!

2. Lobster and swan commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 9:08am

Hi holly,

Another great find, lovely work, really delicate layers and soft muted colours. Dreamy.

Jess

3. ethelind commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 12:25pm

If you like collages, maybe this one is for you: http://www.notpaper.net

Entry of Kareem Rizk

4. Michelle commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 12:27pm

Nice post…inspirational indeed! Reminds be of this brazilian artist Eduardo Recife {http://www.misprintedtype.com}that I love! Thanks for sharing :D

5. Kelly commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 1:11pm

I definitely get the same feeling from his work, Holly! It makes me excited to get to the collage project I have planned. I love the vintagey feel to his work.

6. Anonymous commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 3:02pm

I like that his work is not digital, but a hands on mix of acrylic, pastels, paper, and solvent transfers — gives it a more tactile quality. And his ability to convey an idea in the simplest terms is a credit to his graphic design background. Well done!

I agree with you that this type of art is my favorite, too.

7. decor8 commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 3:18pm

Yes his work is digital but it has a real tactile feel to it nonetheless.

8. stacy commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 3:27pm

L-O-V-E it! The vintage modern aesthetic is fabulous + I can see ALL of them on my walls!

Thank you for sharing this. You have wonderful taste as always!

9. Krissy commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 4:46pm

super amazing work!

10. Tracey commented
    June 13th, 2008 at 5:07pm

Beautiful- I love the details in the butterflies. I would want to use them as notecards.