Design Star Dish {with Becky Harris}

Here’s our weekly Design Star Dish with Becky Harris from Hatch. The stage is yours, Beckster! - Holly

Last night’s episode of Design Star on HGTV was called “Home Sweet Lake Home.” I’m calling it “Home Sweet Snake Home.” The lake water looks snake-y, and so do some of the cast members! The drama has commenced! My favorite design on this episode was Cynthia Rowley’s outfit. As for the contestants, I’m seeing the influence of too many television home show D.I.Y. “art projects” all over the place. These usually involve sticks, leaves, and frames.

So what did you all think? Did you have a favorite room? A least favorite? How are your opinions of the contestants changing? Do you think the judges sent the right person “off air?” Please dish away!

WARNING: There will be no spoilers in these intro posts, but there will be in the comments section, so if you haven’t caught the episode yet, don’t read the comments section!

(image from becky harris)

Posted by decor8 in reality tv on June 16, 2008

1. cheryl.andrey commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 12:29pm

I was horrified when they painted that gorgeous table.

2. decor8 commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 12:33pm

Wasn’t that terrible? And that fireplace ‘faux’ paint job? Eek. I really did not understand why everyone did their own thing when it came to color choices. I would have thought that once team captains decided on a color, that they’d meet with other room captains to ensure that they all flowed as a whole. Chocolate in one room, dark blue, black, gray, orange… What was up with these depressingly dark colors? The only one I liked was the living room.

3. erin commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 2:02pm

okay here i go…

I wasn’t too impressed with last nights show. That orangey bedroom was hideous, so i think the right person was let go. it was actually the bedding and window treatments i hated the most in that room.

i didn’t get that lime green paint in that bar area in the sunroom… i didn’t notice green anywhere else in that room.

i did think the cop and matt did an awesome job with the bed thing they built though, i think that was my favorite room.

i agree that they should have agreed on some sort of color palette that made sense for the house.

as for the contestants… i actually found tracee more annoying than micheal stribling this week.

4. Steph commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 2:04pm

I also was shocked when they painted the dining room table! And when they put a pool table in a sunroom?! The only argument for the brown paint color in that room, which I thought Tracee would have used in her “defense”, was that it didn’t make the big table stand out as much. I couldn’t believe how much fighting there was between contestants already. Although Tracee was annoying bringing up her issues in the studio, Michael WAS an instigator. He would drive me insane, too! I think the judges were right to send home Jerome, just because his room was really bland and the layout was terrible.

5. Anonymous commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 2:15pm

i thought they did a hideous job as well. and completely agree with you holly on their color choices. i kept thinking that non of it actually “went” together! adn teh fact that they painted that table is a crime! i do think that the guy that did the upstairs bedroom did a pretty good job coming up with a solution to all 4 beds being in one room. and it felt “calming” in there. but was someone supposed to sleep on top up there? they showed pillows and mattress? and the attitudes that were running rampant with all the insults and throwing each other under the bridge! it got cut throat, really quick!

6. Anonymous commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 2:31pm

My biggest question, how in the world is Stephanie going to survive another episode? She cries constantly. I agree, Scottie’s room was horrendous but I would have sent Tracee home. Not only did she not seem to have a great design sense she was constantly scheming on how she would portray herself while doing the task. I get it’s a game but “does not play well with others” applies here.

7. becky from hatch commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 3:32pm

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay, here are my initial thoughts and then I want to get in on the conversation!:

First of all, I’m so glad the build your own house thing was a joke, because I don’t think this group could have built a yurt in a week as a team.

YOUR SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELLED! I was sad to see Scott go. Yes, his room was beyond hideous, I don’t even know where to begin, but the worst thing for me was what I guess one would call window treatments. Those alone were a scalding hot mess. But he is just so darn cute and he has such a positive attitude – that alone should have kept him around. Oh, and in his defense, he probably got the idea for all that bamboo/rock/vase crap from watching Vern on Trading Spaces for so many years. I remember Vern putting lucky bamboo and some rocks somewhere in every room and then officially deeming it “feng shui.”

LIVING ROOM: Not offensive to the eye, but it certainly did not wow me.

SUN ROOM: It looked like what I picture the rec room at a nudist colony looking like – I think David Sedaris described this exact room in “Naked.” Also, they were really stupid to have four people making decisions on the two rooms combined; they would have been much better off splitting into pairs and each tackling a room – they could have totally avoided the hideous cheap POOL TABLE CONTROVERSY. BTW, I’ve seen crazy cool pimped out pool tables with purple felt and the like – if you are going to plop a cheap ugly pool table somewhere, give it some personality. Anyway, it wasn’t like the two rooms wound up having anything in common. Tracee did seem to be plotting how she was going to cover her rear end the entire time.

DINING ROOM: I loved watching the dining room gals work together, and for this episode I dubbed them “boobs for bargains.” Apparently cleavage gets big discounts. I had high hopes for the room when they were talking, painting and sketching, but then they picked that table and then they painted it. I thought with that wall color and with their idea for a fireplace and large mirror they would be going for a crisp Wearstler-esque Regency look, but instead it was a hot mess. What was up with all that gold/bronze on the windows and all of those accessories everywhere? It reminded me of Donna from Season 1.

THE JUDGES: Their ranking process seemed totally random. “I am super annoying” got the highest marks for picking a paint color? That brunette from the living room whose name I can’t be bothered to remember got high marks why? Why did Jennifer get a free pass while Stephanie had to sweat it out for “bad time managment” in the bottom two?

8. KarenB commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 3:45pm

So far, we’re not seeing very good design. I liked the living room the best although it was predictable. The bedroom was a very creative solution. I think the right guy went home. I agree that it was the bedding and curtains that failed in that room. Did he not have any plans for art? There was only a shelf with a “plant” on it. Actually, I’m amazed at their ability to make such quick decisions and get it done on time, even if the end result is wanting.

9. becky from hatch commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 4:05pm

I can say for the crying, when you are doing a charette and getting no sleep and under that much stress, the tears come out VERY easily. I remember standing in front of juries in grad school having no sleep, jacked up on coffee thinking “don’t cry, don’t cry!” The tears come much more easily. However, I was thinking of calling this episode “Trail of Tears!”

That bed thing – hmm, yes, let me please sleep closer to the snoring dude. I thought it was interesting to try and do something different, but frankly, I thought the daybed idea in the ugly room looked better, even if it did have people sleeping toe-to-toe!

Yeah, what was up with the random mattress on top of that bed thing? Were they one bed short? Why didn’t they get railed for that? Why did some overlooked painter’s tape get the dining room girls in so much trouble, yet a bunch of junk hidden in the top of that thing did not get the bedroom guys in trouble?

10. meashman commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 4:34pm

I pretty much have to agree with all the comments that have been previously made. I didn’t catch the first episode, but what I saw of this one didn’t impress me much!

I feel the right person went home. That room was just all sorts of wrong.

I was surprised also that the teams didn’t consult each other on color choices in order to make the house unified. Isn’t that like one of the first rules of design?!

I’m not a big natural wood junkie, but it was a shame they painted that beautiful table! It would have been so much better left natural and the mantle left white, instead of that awful faux wood paint job they gave it.

The bed thing was cool, but is it really practical? I don’t think I’d want to sleep that close to someone, snoring or otherwise. And I think that there were supposed to be 5 beds in that room, so yes, someone does have to sleep up top there! They should stick the small whiny guy up there!

11. decor8 commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 4:45pm

Yeah good point, that rubbish on the top of the canopy bed, that I’m calling a ‘manopy’ bed since it was in the boys quarters, was a bit odd. I also didn’t get the candles balancing on the sides, are they guys going to light them at night and sing campfire songs? They are also a major fire hazard. You don’t balance pillar candles on bed posts EVER.

I think Mommie Dearest stayed because of her personality. Scottie was the nicest, he wasn’t into the drama so of course he is the first to go. He didn’t have what it takes to up ratings I’m guessing. Whereas Mommie Dearest, the bargaining with boobs girls, and Michael have nothing BUT drama in them. From tears to cat fights, they have the secret to reality design tv success!

Becky your point about 4 designers taking on 2 rooms is a good one. Why didn’t 2 take the sunroom and 2 take the living room? That would have worked out swimmingly.

And before you tote in half a tree into a room, perhaps you should measure the doorways? They were nothing but lucky on that challenge. But despite how poorly that dining room came out, I liked the girls because they at least got along.

Holly

12. kelly commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 4:46pm

I hope no one minds if I make a comment from last week’s episode on this post — I just watched both episodes last night, so it’s fresh in my mind.

I looked through the comments on last week’s post and no one mentioned this, so I need to make a comment about D. Paul making “the ultimate sacrifice” by leaving his 4 kids and wife at home while he participates on a design show. Obviously, this man does not understand the term “ultimate sacrifice.” Grrr.

As for last night’s show… I agree with Becky’s comment above: “Why did Jennifer get a free pass while Stephanie had to sweat it out for ‘bad time managment’ in the bottom two?” I actually paused the show to turn to my man and say that exact thing. I didn’t get that at *all*. When it was down to two, it should have been Scottie (loved that bowtie!) and TraCheeChee. I think they kept her on just to amp up the drama. Blech!

I also agree that they should have had two people in the living room and two people in the sunroom. Four designers working on one space was just as bad as having one designer working on the space upstairs. I guess there was strength in numbers, though, because the single designer got the boot. I felt terrible for him — he had such a look of relief on his face when they said, “Your room was a mess, but we admire your commitment to your design” (I’m paraphrasing). After saying that, they booted him? That seemed so weird. Poor dear.

Why did the masking tape get a bunch of focus, but the unfinished bed on top of the BedCube did not? Meanwhile, I guess they knew they would only need 8 beds after the show, so what the heck — we don’t even really need that bed up there! (Perhaps they will use that area to store unused mattresses as the show goes on?) And, erm… how does one *get* to the “bed” on top, anyway? I never saw a ladder, but perhaps I missed it?

13. becky from hatch commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Tracheechee – Ha!

Kelly and everyone else, any episode is fair game, comment away!

Holly, I missed the pillar candles. I watched a Sex and the City episode the other night where Samantha said “women with candles have replaced women with cats as the new sad thing.” I looked at my cat and then thought long and hard about candles :) I think all the home design shows have these people thinking they need to over-accessorize everything with candles and plants and all kinds of junk.

Scottie did have it made. He could have done a very simple room in nice colors so easily – I remember the standard for being a genius designer the first season was when that horrid “glamalicious” chick simply matched the room colors to some Thomas Paul pillows and kept it all very simple.

Meashman, I am laughing at the thought of Michael curled up in the fetal position at the top of the manopy!

14. Bettsi McComb commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 10:18pm

Oh, lordy! Wasn’t it fun though? The show is definitely about drama more than it is about design. Poor Scottie- I hated his room, but I loved him.

I do think Matt is very talented and I am looking forward to seeing more from him.

Also, like many of you, I got really excited about the dining room during the planning phase, but when they poured paint on that amazing table, I lost all respect for them. Still, their work seemed much more inspired and daring than the horrible Quarrelsome Quad. Ick.

Can’t wait for next week!

15. Anonymous commented
    June 16th, 2008 at 11:23pm

I didn’t think the dining room was that bad. It wasn’t perfect but I did like where they were going and as much as I thought the living room was well done, it felt like a very safe choice all around.

16. becky from hatch commented
    June 17th, 2008 at 1:25am

Bettsi, you hit the nail on the head – it was TOTALLY fun! I have to say, I love the drama. Just call me Melrose Place; I can’t get enough of it! I mean, I might even watch The Bachelorette tonight. Don’t tell anybody :)

Anon – I thought they had good ideas for the bones of the dining room, and then they just killed it with all of these “design moves” like faux painting and overdoing the accessories. When I saw them sketching it out, I thought they would nail it. It’s interesting how that happens!

17. Diane commented
    June 18th, 2008 at 5:11am

Oh my…I just couldn’t believe they painted the table! Scary!And the Twigs on the walls..My favorite is Matt. I felt bad for Jerome being the first one voted off.Tracee should’ve gone because of her big mouth!I love Cynthia she seems like such a sweet person!I didn’t really like any of the design’s…I can’t wait till the next show…

18. becky from hatch commented
    June 19th, 2008 at 7:30pm

Meashman, I just realized you are from Moss in Savannah, right? The only store that would let me take pictures?

Becky