Design Star Dish {with Becky Harris}

Here’s our weekly Design Star Dish with Becky Harris… The stage is yours, Beckster! - Holly

I just finished watching Episode 4 of Design Star on HGTV. As soon as Mikey V. said he was going for “zen,” I realized what the problem is with these contestants. They watch too much HGTV, including past seasons of Design Star. People saying they want “zen” when they are designing, unless they are professional Japanese garden designers, make me cringe. Anyway, if you missed the show but want to skip and just see the designs so you can comment today, they are right here.

I was hoping the theme of the show would be “go big or go home.” Instead, the theme became “I want my mom.”

Slight Spoiler Alert: If someone implied I was going somewhere in a private Gulf Stream that required a passport and then sent me to Michael’s, the homicide would be justifiable. I hate that place. It makes me feel dizzy and nauseated, much like this show. I’ve only spent time in two of the destinations. All I can say is Italy = Aalto, fountains, history, and Prada. Spain = Ibiza, Gaudi, Miro, Picasso, Las Ramblas, Calatrava and sangria. Michael’s is the world capital of fake flowers, which is part of what makes me dizzy in there. Personally, I would have totally used the inspiration of the fake flower field that the Marc Jacobs windows had last spring in the West Village… You know, the one that the man in the skunk suit hung out in on the weekends? It would have gone big, right?

Again, WARNING: There will be no major winner/loser spoiler alerts in these intros, but there will be in the comments section, so if you haven’t seen it yet and you don’t want to know what happened, do not click into the comments section until you have caught up on your viewing.

What did you think? Do you have someone who would make the best host in mind, regardless of design skill? For me it’s a very clear cut at this point. What cheesy typical “design moves” irked you? Did you think someone was making a fort in the first 5 minutes? What are your design-speak pet peeves? I know you have a bunch! What do you think of as inspiration when you think of the different destinations mentioned? What would you have done with certain destinations and Michael’s as your shopping source? Who is showing appropriate restraint? Too much? Not enough? Who should work for Rooms 2 Go? Who had karma rain down on them? Who didn’t? Should saying “Ferosh” or “Tee-ragic” be banned? Did someone make manopy #2? Whose room looked the most like a Trading Spaces “feng shui” room? Did you agree with the judges? More interesting, with whom did you disagree?

O.K., I’ll stop, just dish about whatever you want! – Becky Harris

Posted by decor8 in reality tv on June 30, 2008

1. niki.mac commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 4:46pm

I was glad to see Michael go… I think he had a false arrogance that would not translate well at ALL for a weekly show. I wish Tracey could have gone home too though, she is the worst!!

2. kirstenrana commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 4:56pm

This show epitomizes for me what has gone wrong with HGTV – it simplifies the effort and skill that is required in designing a successful interior space. Catchphrases will be the death of design :)
    I am curious – for me Aalto means great Scandinavian design. What is his link to Italy for you?

3. Anonymous commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 5:53pm

We clapped out loud here at our house when Michael went home and although I try to have compassion for all things his crying for his mom in the elevator was really a sign he was way too green to have his own show. He might be a good designer but needs a lot more life experience under his belt.

Tracee’s design looked like a Disney ride. I don’t think it was awful in the context of kitsch but it wasn’t a room anyone could ever contemplate living in. Truthfully were any of these rooms liveable? I think these people all were way too inspired by the reckless surfer of last year and his crazy half pipe and wave crushed furniture. Very cool stuff, don’t get me wrong but isn’t the idea behind HGTV to make enjoyable rooms that are livable? So here we had a buddhist temple made out of sofa cushions (Cynthia Rowley nailed this, we were already talkiing about how this would have been a great fort for a little kid), a Thai lounge (that looked Japanese to me but hey, it’s Asian I guess), etc. I think Jennifer was the best but I wouldn’t want to live in that room either. Having said that, this is like the 99 cent store challenge of last year, you have to factor in the creativity it took just to make a room out of such a hunk of junk (and seriously, those modular sofas they had to use made every room look like a flop house).

4. brudfam commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 6:32pm

It was no shocking that Michael went home. He had way too much attitude to be a good host, despite his design skills. Hopefully Tracee will be going home next–i just don’t think she’s got it.

I wasn’t overly impressed with any of the designs this week. Hopefully next week will be better–I’d love to see a challenge that really pushes them in creative and exciting ways.

5. Linda Merrill commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 6:52pm

I’m always amazed at the bad behavior on these shows. Especially Design Star – where the prize is their own tv show. Have these people never watched HGTV – the land of the cute, home of the kitsch? I can’t imaging how Michael could have thought that his childish behavior made him host material – too young and green is right. I’m beginning to really like Matt – although he failed last night, he tried something different and he was honest in his self-appraisal, not deluded like so many of these contestants can be.

6. Jenean commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 7:07pm

I’m ready to go ahead and give Jennifer her own show. I think she would make a fantastic host and I would tune in to watch any show she hosted. I love her positive attitude, her style, her smile and well, everything about her! And while there has only been one individual challenge to showcase her design talent, that doesn’t even matter to me so much this season. I haven’t seen a lot of design that has just blown me away, so unless that changes my vote this season will go to the best host and I can’t imagine anyone better than Jennifer. I hope she makes it to the final two!
    Also, I know this is a very stressful situation, but I wish the designers would keep in mind that there is life beyond this show. Even if you don’t win, if you keep a positive spirit and do the best you can and try to avoid major meltdowns, just being on a show like this could really boost your career.

7. paola commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 7:22pm

Well that really, REALLY annoyed me…

Michael was an annoying little tw*t and we nearly fell off the sofa laughing at all his blubbing HOWEVER, the criticism of his room was all wrong. It was a perfectly valid take on contemporary Spanish design, and much less cliche’d than the stuff the others put out.

Spain and Italy are currently producing some of the best high-concept contemporary furniture and interiors in the world, and Barcelona has been transformed in recent years with some fabulous contemporary architecture and design (for example check out the photo tour on the Hotel Arts website http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/Barcelona/Default.htm). In addition Spain has some of the best designed nightclubs in the whole world which people travel tofrom all over Europe.

Going very contemporary was a totally valid design inspiration for Spain and in my experience of all three countries his room was more Spanish then either of the Mexican rooms were Mexican or the Italian rooms were Italian.

The judges seemed very ignorant and just exemplified the ‘theme park’ view of Europe that Americans seem to have. Yes, Cynthia Rowley, Gaudi is fab, but he was designing and building over a hundred years ago and is a huge Barcelona cliche. And the reason Michael’s room wouldn’t have looked out of place in Manhattan is that contemporary American interiors are generally stuffed to the gills with imported European furniture.

Okay, rant over.

Jennifer’s walls were lovely and her inspiration was imaginative but the rest of the room was dull as ditchwater.

Personally I thought painting the walls black and calling it ?Mexico by night? was just the teensiest bit of a cop out. To me it was as much of a theatre set as Tracee?s room, albeit not as hideous.

Mikey V’s room was terribly disappointing, packed with clich?s, and he doesn?t seem to realise that they don?t write with Japanese/Chinese characters in Thailand.

Trish?s was boring as usual. The colours she used were not remotely Mexican and her room included lots of river rock and was therefore much worse than Michael?s.

I sort of saw where Matt was coming from, but it was a huge failure and I have no idea how it took him 12 hours to pile up his cushions in the middle of the floor. I fear that he is all about construction rather than design.

Tracee remains a taste-free zone.

Me? I would have bought every single red silk rose in Michaels, sewn them together to create a faux Nani Marquina rug, and then watched while all the judges were completely flummoxed and asked me why I didn?t create a room out of castanets and bull-fighting posters with a fans on the ceiling?

They’re never going to find a Design Star out of this bunch of no-hopers.

8. decor8 commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 7:57pm

Okay my turn.

Jennifer – Liked = walls. Those were artistic and I liked that she went there. But the blue furniture? Oh my. It was very, very ugly. I would have selected white furniture and used a blue cushion or pottery but not blue furniture. I also did not like the accessories. Sunflowers? And what was with the floor? Was it cardboard? I think white high-gloss floors would have looked amazing or handpainted faux tiles or something?? It almost made me think that she had another time management problem and the walls were all she really got done here. This is a great example of someone super artistic, but should be more of a stage/set designer or visual merchandiser and not so much an interior designer. Just my opinion. She has a darling personality though.

Tracee – The Italy in her mind is one very scary destination. How is an orchid, black, and hot pink Italy?

Michael – I could understand a 23-year-old interpretation of modern Barcelona in this room — he at least had a vision. There was a focal point. The furniture arrangement was creative. The floor was actually kind of nice. I’ve never been to Barcelona but I think red and bulls for some reason. And dancing. Maybe he could have thought of the colors and instead of the flowers on the canvas he could have showed a flamenco dancer’s twirling skirt or a bull silhouette or something? Not sure. But his was not bad enough to go home. His lack of self confidence and inability to form sentences before the judges, okay and the crying part, that is what sent him home. I think his audition was what it was and that they should have known from the start that bringing this man on the show wasn’t going to turn him into a show host. It was almost like they saw his potential and hoped he’d turn into a host but c’mon, that just doesn’t happen. You either have that television personality or you don’t. But from a design perspective, he should not have went home this week based on his design. I know of a few others that deserved to leave based on that. Well good luck Michael!

Stephanie’s Mexican cabana was pretty much Michael’s Barcelona. A modern ‘club’ where hip kids would hang out. Yet they all loved her room. There was nothing about it that said Mexico. Yet the judges raved. How is this consistent? That trellis thing was not good. But the twigs could have been awesome if all over the back wall instead. The furniture arrangement was great, my favorite arrangement of all of the rooms.

Mickey V – The judges told him his interpretation was too literal. Did not understand that at all. Again no consistency with judging. One minute it’s too literal, another it’s not literal, I’m confused. The seating arrangement was good. But I don’t think of Thailand when I see this room. I see Japanese sushi restaurant. I see these colors when I think of Thailand:

Again, confused.

Trish – Mexican getaway. Martha thought it was predictable. What did she mean by that, they were all either predictable or extremely abstract. I liked nothing about this room. I did not see Mexico here at all.

Matt – Based on this room he should have gone home. It was really bad. What was Thai about this? Why on an angle? Matt has promise, but he is a big picture builder guy with talent for creating large-scale installations. I see him working on set/stage design along with Jennifer.

I do not see anyone qualified to host their own design show. I don’t know, I once thought that having your own show meant you were this amazingly talented person who had this ‘special’ quality but the more I watch television lately I see less and less of this. It’s sad. Anyone can have a show on television now, it doesn’t feel special anymore and I think this is a problem…

9. Andi commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 8:10pm

This is my first time to get to watch from beginning to end, were they all this depressingly bad? Let me start with something positive when Jennifer had all that scrolling drawn out on her wall and said it was to look like italian pottery I was thinking OMG yes yes YES, but alas the blue velvet and college apartment accent hard goods well sad.

Trish’s color story was well executed but Mexico? I think her and Michael took it more as a they had corporate clients from these countries who were asking for edgey.

I dont know what all they had to choose from on the love sacs fabric
    but it didn’t lay right for most of them on the furniture. I did like the look of the plexiglass floor even the it screamed 1 good time. I think Michael with more direction and skills would be awesome at set or event design.

I understand the Cynthia Rowley brand, and Vern I dont care for his boxy cheap themes he is responsible for the mass marketing of “zen decor”, but where in the world is Marsha coming from? So she edits In Style mag but not InStyle home, and her using the word “predictable” everytime a sofa parallels a wall is becoming predictable she doesn’t seem to be in an authoritave area when critiqueing, and she has a confusing overall appearence if they were going to try to figure out what she likes.

Sorry so long thanks for letting me share some thoughts.

10. becky from hatch commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 8:25pm

Hi Guys! I’m so sorry, I don’t think I pressed the right buttons to have my comments come through earlier; they must be floating off in Cyberspace somewhere!

FIRST! KRISTENRANA, I’m so embarrassed, I meant SCARPA, but AALTO came out of my brain b/c I had just been reading “Finnish Summer Houses” before I typed that. Confession: I have to be doing Soduku, working a crossword, or flipping through a book while watching this show in order to get through the hour!

PAOLA, interesting take on Michael’s design. His cocky attitude and poor treatment of others behind their backs made me giddy that he was gone. Plus, if he’d “been there a million times,” I think he could have found some high design references. Plus, that was one ugly club. I did think the plexi floor was clever, but the judges hated it. I definitely think he probably has more design skills than others still there.

I thought Matt’s was by far the worst, but I like him much better. I think he gets too caught up in the logistics and idea of some construction project and doesn’t always see the big picture, or the little pictures that need to accompany the big picture.

How does Trish keep sliding by? She’s not even mediocre, but I do like lime and blue together a lot.

I thought Jennifer executed her painting idea very well. I was glad she kept it simple.

Stephanie basically did nothing, but for her, “restraint” was an improvement, so she got kudos for it.

LINDA: I love this quote from you: “HGTV – the land of the cute, home of the kitsch” So true.

JENEAN, I find Jennifer to be EASILY the most watchable. I like her personality and the way she keeps a smile on her face.

I loved the comment about Thai Takeout re: Mikey V. However, it looked just like something Vern Yip would have created on Trading Spaces 5 years ago and called “feng shui.” I laughed out loud when he used “tiki torches” and “zen” in the same sentence!

As for Tracee, her room and her outfit belonged in an around-the-world themed bordello. So stupid.

I didn’t understand if the furniture coverings were bought at Michael’s or what. That furniture was awful.

P.S. Paolo, love your red roses idea :)

Hmm, I forget what else I had to say in the lost comments, but I’ll sign off now!

11. andrea commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 8:33pm

btw, aalto is a finish architect not italian

12. Anonymous commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 8:45pm

I totally agree. No one stands out as an amazing designer. But, don’t you think the hosts of HGTV just read a script anyway? Who says they are truly designers (other than Vern)? Also, I think the broken vase thing was completely staged and fake. Give me a break! This reality show is pitiful. Last year was much better. I think I’m done watching this train wreck.

13. paola commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 8:53pm

But Holly all this talk of bulls and red and flamenco dancers is exactly what I’m ranting about!

It’s as if someone asked me to do an ‘American’ inspired room and I decorated it with cowboy hats, wagon wheel coffee table and a couple of cowhide chairs…

Next time you’re in Germany, go to Barcelona. You would absolutely love.

14. becky from hatch commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 9:02pm

P.S. Paolo, love your red roses idea :)

15. cathc commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 9:12pm

After last nights show, I kept thinking we have thousands of competent designers in America, where are they? This group is just plain milk-toasty, maybe with the exception of Matt and Jennifer. Tracie better go next or my T.V. might suffer the concequences. One more shot of her constant eating, defensive chatter, and roll of her eyes are going to send me over the edge. That room was so off the mark, my 12 year old daughter could have done better. And your soooo right about HGTV, do they really think the viewers are that stupid? I need inspiration, not cr*p…

16. decor8 commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 9:29pm

I know Paola, but I’m just sayin’… If they are on HGTV in the first place you have to think that bulls and dancers are what these people want to see… Think big box “art” aisle… :)

17. rawfish commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 9:32pm

no one has even mentioned that tracee’s pathetic “four poster” made out of foam core was totally flopping down in the back! that is send home worthy. i was peeved the judges didnt even mention that it was falling over.

ugh, it was hideous. i hated it. like “all i have to do is paint a faux-chandelier, hot glue everything, and staple fabric to unstable foamcore, voila! a room that lasts 1 minute”.

what happened to designs you could age with?

all the designs were tacky, and awful. it certainly didnt help that they had to buy terrible michaels crap. and that horrible lifeless furniture. i would have just taken it out of my room. haha. no sitting allowed.

i think they should go back to the interview session and pick some new people to toss in there to spice up the show a bit. im not sure if i can make it through next week’s episode at this rate.

18. ChrysRT commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 10:39pm

Dear Becky,

Which Aalto are you referring to ? The only one I know is Danish. Could I be mistaken ?

19. mygilttrip commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 10:41pm

After reading the comments, I don’t have anything to add except HGTV is losing its mind. Some of the shows that I loved like Design Inc. have fallen off the programming map and shows rearranging dorm room furniture have taken a foothold. I appreciate that HGTV needs to appeal to a broad market. Yet, even folks that have tight budgets need inspiration beyond putting your couch on a diagonal to encourage “flow”. We have seen so many great bloggers do amazing things without dropping big $. This stuff just isn’t keeping me tuned in. And Tracee will stay as long as we can bear it. She is the villain that keeps the drama going. Although, I would have preferred Michael in that role.

20. becky from hatch commented
    June 30th, 2008 at 10:55pm

Paola, I am laughing out loud remembering one of my favorite Harry Met Sally lines after reading your entry:

Billy Crystal: “this ugly, garage sale, Roy Rogers wagon wheel coffee table.”

Bruno Kirby: “I thought you said you liked it!”

Billy Crystal: “I was being nice!”

Guys, I’m all backwards today. Turns out I was putting in the wrong password and then closing out the comments screen. Before that, i had mixed up my Aalto and my Scarpa! I think this show is shrinking my brain :)

Oh, Andi, I thought Martha used to edit InStyle Home, but it doesn’t exist anymore. I’m not sure if she did or not, but that was the assumption I was working under!

Cathc, you might be onto something. Perhaps there should be a junior version of this show. I love to see design from un-jaded youngsters whose ideas are fresh and to whom nothing seems impossible.

21. paola commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 12:03am

Becky, Tivo is your friend. I watched it last night in about 20 minutes tops. I love that bit in WHMS too…

Holly, if Michael had done flamenco-ing bulls he would have been told he was being too predictable and obvious. He should have done some mosaicing somewhere and then CR would have nodded sagely and said ‘very Gaudi-esque’ and we could all have pretended that she’s actually visited Barcelona..

I’m not sure about Martha’s interior design credentials, but her hair colorist really has to go…. apricot hair with half inch dark roots is SO not a good look…

22. Chrysrt commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 12:07am

Sorry, my bet! Aalto Alvar is finish but he was the architect of a beautiful museum in Danemark between Arhus and Skagen!!! Which confused me!
    Dear Holly, Skagen is a beautiful place to visit.

Dear Becky, I don’t get HTGV but I love to read your comments!

23. Karen commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 12:45am

His design aside, I actually found humor in Michael?s ego. It wasn?t until the crying commenced that I lost all respect. Remember Project Runway winner Christian Siriano? He was as cocky as they come but he stood by that supported that ego and stood by his work no matter what. When someone didn?t like his design he basically said ?tough cookies? it?s fabulous (actually he said fierce but you get the point). Last night Michael couldn?t support or defend his deign which to me means he didn?t believe if in the first place.

24. becky from hatch commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 12:45am

Paola, you’re killing me I’m laughing so hard right now! I TiVo it – I ff over the judge introductions and every Clive airhorn!

Chrysrt, THANKS!

25. Andy Mathis commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 2:45am

I actually tried to watch this show last night for the first time, but it was thundering and the dish couldn’t latch on to the satellite. So I’ll have to wait till next week.

I am more intrigued after reading the comments about the designers.

I think these shows are forced into a certain slant by the producers, the production crew, the director, the network.

You know someone’s on a headset somewhere, “We need drama, someone throw a tantrum, someone cry, you get a bonus for crying a lot and throwing a tantrum. Even better if you do those AND pick an ugly paint color.”

Anyway- hope to see all the fun for myself next week.

26. Anonymous commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 2:19pm

There is one thing that always bothers me about these shows: the time limit. I would much rather see what designers come up with when they have a day or so to consider the project and some time to do some quality shopping. It takes me months to put together a room in my home (I’m not a designer), but to put everyone on a crazy schedule just to see what they can some up with on the spur of the moment, doesn’t help anyone. I think we could learn a lot more about their personalities and skills if they were given sufficient time to devote to a project. I thought last season was fun, but this season is horrible and I’m wondering if it is because people were chosen from a design background instead of from a variety of interests/work experiences/and age groups.

27. Anonymous commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 2:42pm

I get really tired of tirades and statements like “The judges seemed very ignorant and just exemplified the ‘theme park’ view of Europe that Americans seem to have” and as an American I’m offended by your stereotyping of us as ignorant and ultimately stupid. Enough with the Anti-Americanism people.

28. Tracy (Comic Mom) commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 4:04pm

I think what we’re seeing here is the growth of product placement as programming. Because we TIVO past the ads, they are putting the ads in the shows. Obviously Michael’s and Love Sac paid HGTV to be “featured” in the show, which is about 50% of what made it so bad. The other half, of course, was horrible design. Unfortunately, we’re probably in for more of the same. Hmmm…next week, La-Z-Boy and Wal-Mart?

29. decor8 commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 4:28pm

Anon – Reader Paola commented that the judges seemed very ignorant and just exemplified the ‘theme park’ view of Europe that Americans seem to have.

Paola is from England living in Seattle for only one year so she is merely expressing her perspective on things. Her perspective certainly is not that of this blog and it’s author, namely – me!

I think it’s interesting to hear what she has to say but I wouldn’t jump to saying her words are Anti-American. She has a right to her opinion – I’m American born and raised and was not offended by it. Try to see past her words, she isn’t a mean spirited person and I’m sure she doesn’t dislike our country.

30. lokis_mistress commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 8:07pm

Before I read any of the posts, I just have to say this is hysterical! I am somebody who doesn’t have cable (on purpose) and when I do watch any TV it is ONLY HGTV because it is the only channel my mother has that I can bother to watch. But for a number of years now, I can barely get through a single show. Even the guy who looks like the Mr Clean of construction who says let’s make it right! all the time has become just another HERO of TVland, more interested in the drama quotient than actual construction. I know from years in the design industry that funny lingo kind of sets you apart from your friends that are in different industries, but would somebody please tell these people that using words not derived from the english language is not a ticket into the design world? PLEASE??? They need to rename this channel altogether.

31. Dacia commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 8:44pm

Seriously, there is not enough discussion of the “I want my mom” part. What was that? A joke? Think somebody said, “When you get kicked off, I’ll give you a hundred bucks if you cry for your mommy.” No? Is he really just that ridiculous? I want my mom right now!

32. lokis_mistress commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 8:45pm

OK, now I have looked up the rooms and read the comments and have finished laughing. I think Paola has hit it right on the mark and so has andy mathis. Both are true and producers of shows like these have just lost sight of the original idea of what HGTV was created for. You can’t tell me with ten bazillion stores, websites, blogs, books and magazines out there devoted to all aspects of DESIGN (not drama) that there isn’t an audience big enough for design based TV. Let the people who tune in for crying and throwing things watch any other channel and GET OFF MINE! I also liked the post about giving a realistic amount of time for a design to come to fruition.

I would love to see the numbers from the last few years to see what actually happened for producers to feel they had to up the drama quotient. It always works out to advertising dollars so perhaps we design nuts don’t buy as much home depot stuff as the drama seekers. Oh, wait… we buy from etsy. Hmmmm… perhaps this is the problem? I say we all toss our TVs and create our own “real” internet shows! WHO”S IN???

33. Lulu commented
    July 2nd, 2008 at 6:33am

Okay, I am not a interior designer nor a decorator. However, I feel obliged to say this: ” Where in the world did HGTV find these designers?” All, but maybe two, have no creativity and maybe no talent. I am really dissapointed with episode 4. I mean it’s like everyone wanted gray rooms with no personality. I mean Spain, and no color? …

34. Anonymous commented
    July 3rd, 2008 at 8:11pm

one question that I’m not sure anyone has raised…how can Cynthia Rowley live with herself being on this terrible show?

also- I was completely stricken that the judges “loved” Jennifer’s design. Okay- she painted freehand, fine. Didn’t anyone pay attention the furniture, the layout, the boringness of it all?

35. Courtney commented
    July 4th, 2008 at 1:49pm

I find it interesting that this year, the contestants were limited to only those with design backgrounds…when last year’s winner, Kim Myles, was a hairdresser. I can admit that I found myself really rooting for those “regular” folks last year…the stay-at-home mom, the hairdresser, the surfer, etc. These are people who are typically accustomed to working on a tight budget and must stretch every ounce of creativity to make cheap things seem expensive…big box purchases seem unique…and to find style in unexpected items. I hope that next year, they open up the playing field again. We might see some more really fresh design, and perhaps they’ll feel like they can lay off the cheap tricks the producers like to play. I typically LOVE this show, but this season has been hard to watch.

36. Leah commented
    July 7th, 2008 at 8:52am

I missed the first few episodes, so this is the first one I saw this season — and it may well be the last.

The whole thing was just “tee-ragic” (as Michael might say) and painful to watch. The designs were terrible, the taste level rock-bottom, the materials tacky, and the designers seemingly talentless. It’s not even good TV.

Seriously, HGTV — fire the producers (AND the cheesy host! Oh, and pink-slip the horribly smug and unlikable Vern Yip while you’re at it), move the show to NY or LA or Chicago or some other major design city, and try to get in a group of people that you might actually consider letting host one of your shows, based on both onscreen charisma and actual design talent.

This thing is just a sad trainwreck, and NOT in a fun way. I’m out.

37. dailydesignspot commented
    July 8th, 2008 at 2:18am

never EVER seen the show.. and i think i am a little proud of that… haha
    take care everyone!