?toile home

I found the yummy ?toile home via Indie Quarter, a great blog out of th UK that features primarily independent art and design. They blogged about ?toile home recently, a small company that has been around for a few years now based in the UK and oh my — they have some very pretty things. Bold graphics, modern florals, and happy colorways. I love the black and white nina patchwork quilt, the beautiful oscar cushions (so cute to top a stool), and the nina pillow in yellow and pink.

My fave four are shown above. :) When I see these prints, I think of a swank Polynesian beach house or some cute patio on the beach in any part of the world, really. Also nice if you live far from the coast but you want to bring a little of the tropics to your world. It’s funny seeing these patterns living in the rooms below just as well, with wood paneled walls, cowhide chairs, and antlers. A very unexpected pairing I think. I love how well things work when not weighed down under complex design rules. How it ought to look isn’t always as fun or beautiful anyway. I’m so over staged perfection.Design in a box. It appealed to me on some level when I first embarked on my newfound career path of interior design back in ’05, but by the end of one of my first classes, I was over it as quickly as I fell into it. It felt so boring, so confining. And as I watch decorating shows on television (less and less, I only watch House Hunters and Design Star now and then), and flip through books with these overly staged designs I feel a bit queasy. Not because it’s bad, but because I can’t handle this pursuit of perfection in decorating that some of my peers have. It’s okay that they do it and I appreciate their approach very much, but I don’t think it’s fun or interesting to live in a designer showroom. It’s not even fun or interesting to shop at most of these showrooms. I’m a bit of a rebel. When I look at these product shots below I feel at home. This is laid back. It allows for change. People can live here. There’s a little ‘managed’ clutter around. I see balance and harmony. Old and new. Flawed and near perfect living together. This is how I see good design. It is human.

Okay enough about me… ?toile home currently accepts Paypal, making it a relatively painless transaction should you decide to shop them, and the prices are reasonable considering this is handmade fabric from a small company. You can’t expect prices to be much lower or else it would hardly be worth producing these things in the first place. They also offer fabric by the meter in case you’re feeling up to a little DIY action. :)

Thanks Indie Quarter for the great find!

(images from ?toile home)

Posted by decor8 in textiles on June 30, 2008

1. Anna at D16 commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 12:49am

Ahhh, the bunting!!! So, so sweet.

I really want one of those tablecloths. I have to go do some centimeter to inch conversions and see if it’s big enough for my table…

2. Steph commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 5:54am

Love those pillows! Fabulous prints, great for summer.

3. ChrysRT commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 8:11am

Oh How I love these pillows!!!! The prints are perfect!

4. doreen commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 2:51pm

These are lovely fabrics, and I agree with you about “staged design”. To me it lacks spontaneity, warmth, and human energy. I too am fed up with pretentious, overpriced design. I love the look of rooms that look like they evolved over time with the personal collections of things from the inhabitant’s travel and life. These things are what gives a room it’s soul.

5. Jenni commented
    July 1st, 2008 at 3:05pm

I love your comments about the overly staged homes. I live, like live, in my 1200 square foot house with 2 children, 4 cats, crazy dog, and a husband. We love our home and how we’ve made it comfortable. I love all the little clay birds created by my kids and the nests they find next to my collection of vintage bird figures. I too look through the magazines and think WOW, one day….but then again I don’t think I could live with the stress of keeping a home that neat all the time and living that hollow. Our home has layers upon layers of memories and most of all love. I think that’s what those pictures are missing. I often wonder why they don’t show more homes like mine, where real people live, play, work, and grow as a family. Well, I’ve spoken too long. thanks for listening!

6. annechovie commented
    July 2nd, 2008 at 1:53am

Hi Holly!
    Those pillows are gorgeous! Thanks also for the tip about Indie Quarter – I will check it out. Have a great 4th weekend!

7. Ashley commented
    July 2nd, 2008 at 3:14pm

Those cushions are perfect, just what I was looking for, great find!