Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Good morning! Everything feels so new and shiny to me still, so please bare with me! I just started using WordPress yesterday. It’s like taking a new car out on the highway for the first time – exciting and scary with tons of cool new bells and whistles that I’m not quite sure how to use!

By the way, have you noticed where I’ve placed the Book and Blog of the Week? If you look straight up, there it is in the header! My picks will update weekly in that space. And to the right, at the top, you’ll find 3 quick links to things I find interesting that will update during the day — news and links that you may want to check out. Whether it’s something I saw on another blog or a great news article or a funny video on You Tube, I will use that space for quick blurbs. They won’t have their own dedicated blog post within this section so they’ll hang out over there instead. As new ones are added they’ll be replaced and archived here in case you miss a day. If you subscribe to decor8 via RSS you will receive them via your regular decor8blog.com feed. And by the way, if you want to subscribe to this blog via RSS or newsletter look to your right and locate the Search box. Notice the tab that says Subscribe? That’s where you will find RSS info.

Let’s get down to business. Shopping! I found some nice things worthy of your attention this week over on Etsy… From letterpress to original works of art, you’re bound to find a new favorite shop from this week’s finds!

First up, Wendy Chung’s darling paper shop Dozi Design. I can’t stop browsing her clean, modern paper goods. I enjoy the simple design, uncomplicated and lovely like a strand of freshwater pearls or the perfect little black dress. You’ll spend time browsing this shop just like me, I’m sure. Little houses, chirpy birds, tiny acorns, mini trees, very kawaii I think.

Things Are Better With a Parrott. Period. And I believe it because everything is better with Sarah Parrott in the world designing her delicious gocco and letterpress paper goods. I’m crazy about her papers with the deep impressions, especially the plump strawberry letterpress drink coasters. This is one of those rare shops where you could give me anything from it and I’d be bouncing off the walls happy. Not only is her paper delightful to the touch, but her pretty range of motifs cover everything from bicycles to lilacs yet still feels so very cohesive and complete. The colors are energizing and don’t get me started on her variety of fonts… Truly a shop that has something for everyone!

Love pastels? Dream of strappy sandals or peep toe shoes? Collect (or wish you could collect) vintage cameras? What Katie Does is a London girl with dreams just like yours. And call me a peeping Tom, but I had fun looking through her product images trying to spot extra photos because she has lots of cute glimpses of her adorable home in some of them.

Syko is from Finland and creates, “Soft art for everyday living” made by the skilled hands of Kajsa Wikman. Her handmade soft art includes bags, quilts, pillows, dresses… Everything is her shop is so happy and bright! All items are clearly made from the heart. Isn’t it always obvious when you see work that is clearly authentic, you know you can just sense the person stayed up for hours trying to finish a creation just because they love the craft so much? And to think these things are from Finland, aren’t we lucky to be able to shop the world from our computer like this?

I just found out about Rachel Robertson via Creature Comforts and I haven’t been able to take my eye off of her etsy shop ever since. I love the maturity displayed in her work. Clearly a talented mixed media artist, this San Francisco transplant from the Midwest is inspired by both the natural world around her and city life combining the two as she experiments with an array of mediums such as acrylics, watercolors, papers, ink, pencil, yarn, and vintage ephemera. Her art emerges out of the chaotic studio she describes in her profile. I’d love to visit Rachel to see how she makes sense of the chaos, I’m forever fascinated with how artists work and have often wanted to spend the day with a mixed media artist just sitting off to the side observing them create. I find the whole organic process of the mixed media collage one that directly speaks to my personality as I’m definitely a free spirit, not a strict ‘by the rules’ kind of girl when it comes to exercising my creativity or building something. This is precisely why I’d rather find a dresser on the street and refurbish it vs. tote home boxes from IKEA trying to build it by the book. My husband is better at that so I delegate all IKEA building projects to him. {wink} I digress… Anyway, Rachel your work is nothing short of inspiring and I’m a new fan, that’s a fact!

I hope that you’ve enjoyed the Etsy Take Five Tuesday this week! If you have a favorite Etsy artist that you think I would like to feature on decor8, please click here and let me know!

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on July 29, 2008

1. Farrah commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:08pm

Nice picks… though I think that etsy seller is “Syko” not “Skyo”. I love her stuff; it manages to be both whimsical and elegant at the same time.

2. Cicada Studio commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:09pm

Your description of Dozi is perfect! I adore Wendy’s work.

Cicada Studios last blog post: Being Led By My Dreams

3. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Love all these picks! Beautiful shops and great finds!
    xo
    Melissa

4. ...loveMaegan commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:31pm

adorable finds! question. what platform were you using before wordpress and why is wordpress better? I love their comments box over bloggers.

I added you to my dailies. Beautiful blog design!

5. erin commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:38pm

New website looks great! Congratulations!

6. kelly LOVES whales commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:38pm

Holly, I love your new site design. It’s gorgeous and fun and whimsical and sweet. Great work!
    I always love reading your “take 5 tuesdays.”
    Happy Tuesday!!

kelly LOVES whaless last blog post: le inspiration.

7. anke commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:45pm

oh, brilliant picks, i love katie’s work.
    and the blog looks beautiful!
    x

8. yvette commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 12:47pm

art involving tea cups is the coolest!

yvettes last blog post: Candystripes baby hat 6-12mths

9. decor8 commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 1:02pm

…loveMaegan: Blogger is a great platform for blogging, I have nothing negative to really say about them with the exception of the occasional glitch. In ’05 when I started on blogger it was a bit of a nightmare as the site crashed a lot (blogger) and changing the template was extremely taxing. But they’ve made many enhancements since and slowly it’s becoming better and better. Hey, for free it’s not bad you know? How can you complain when something is free really?

Thing is, I had big ideas for how I wanted this blog to look and run. Blogger doesn’t support all of the plug-ins and such that would make my big ideas come to life. So I had to change platforms based really on that (for the most part). Plus I always wanted decor8 to have it’s own URL.

Thanks for asking!

Holly

10. dentindesign commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 1:05pm

Holly,

your blog looks AMAZING! I ABSOLUTELY love it, it suits you perfectly, congratulations!!!!

D

11. Wendy commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 1:29pm

Thanks so much for the feature Holly! I always love your Take Five Tuesday picks. And I must say I am loving your new website – the quicklinks and tabs at the top are awesome, and I really like that all the links and ads are all on the right side. Plenty for us to click on and all very beautiful and well-organized. Love it :)

Wendys last blog post: Meet Charlie

12. aphrochic commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 1:58pm

Holly,
    You can continue to dream big and to inspire all of us! The new site is remarkable. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

aphrochics last blog post: Thomaspaul at Artaissance!

13. limoncelloSTYLE commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Holly, I totally agree with you about blogger vs. WordPress. I decided to make my business website from a WordPress platform because even though blogger is much better than it was in the beginning, there still is so much more you can do with WordPress…the trade off is that you have to know a bit more about what you are doing with WordPress, but it sounds like you found a great design team to help you.

Congrats to you…the site looks great!

–Miriam
    (longtime lurker, 1st time commenter ;)

14. kirsten commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 2:45pm

Hey, the new design looks terrific! Well done! And the Etsy picks are lovely.

15. puglyfeet commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 3:28pm

Your blog’s new design took my breath away. Beautiful…

16. Kajsa commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 3:36pm

Thanks so much for picking my etsy shop today and your beautiful words about my work (maybe I should stay up tonight and get something done…)! I am so in love with all the letter pressed art you can find on etsy! The new blog look is gorgeous, I wish I had the skills to create a page like this, I just don’t know enough to get through with it (wish I could sew it..) and will have to stick to blogger for awhile!

Kajsas last blog post: New shop

17. Luka commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 4:11pm

I miss the Design Star discussion for this week

18. Sarah commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 4:47pm

Oh! Holly! The new decor8 is absolutely beautiful. I could spend all day on here! Thank you for your beautiful & kind words about me and my work. I continue to be thankful for your support of my work. :) Sarah

19. At Home with Kim Vallee commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 6:28pm

I will go check Dozi design and Syko – I love Finland. I went to lunch with a few girlfriends today. Two of us could not stop to mention etsy and all the things we bought there. It is such a wonderful place to shop.

20. Rick Bucich commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 7:06pm

Thank you for profiling those beautiful and inspirational designs; helps me keep up with what is doing on in the design world.

21. Lynda commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Congrats! Your blog is just so bright and shiny that I can’t stop clicking and reading.

22. Cherie commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 8:03pm

I really like your new format! It was probably just me but in the old format your photos took foreeeevvvvvvvver to load on my pc so I only popped by occasionally and didn’t wait for everything to load (I’m kind of impatient!)…but this format is a dream, loads instantly, hooray!

23. ChrysRT commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 9:16pm

Great found Holly, my favorites are Dosi and Syko even though all of them are beautiful. I am a huge fan of Scandinavian and Japanese design but love all good design from anywhere.

I love the comment display in your new blog layout! Your are using all my favorite colors. It’s so clear and eye pleasing. I like too, the fact that all your comments are in pink! It makes it easier to spot them and to follow a discussion.

I have enjoyed the discussion about Art versus Craft! I read all the comments and made my husband read some of them too. He is in his 3rd year of B.F.A. here in Australia, major in painting. It opened up a great discussion among us. He thinks an artist will transcend anything he touches and that there are not limit anymore in the medium used. If it makes sense to you. Oops, I just realized that I might not be at the right place to leave this comment, sorry about that!

24. decor8 commented
    July 29th, 2008 at 9:20pm

Thank you ChrysRT. My designer selected the color pink for the comment highlights, I simply told her that they needed to stand out. I’m so glad she used pink, it’s a nice serene tone I think so it’s not shocking but yet does grab some attention.

25. nathalie commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 12:10am

i love! kajsa’s work!!! i have a couple of her pieces and i know she is very skilled!!! she is thrilled for this mention!!!!

nathalies last blog post: bff carly…

26. katie commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 5:57am

Thanks so much for featuring me, what a gorgeous blog!
    katie x

katies last blog post: Brussels

27. Megan commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 7:36am

what beautiful finds! i love reading this blog, especially this regular. and i can’t stop looking at that cute little strawberry. thanks for sharing all of these :)

Megans last blog post: let’s see if i don’t talk as much…

28. Erika commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 7:45am

Hi Holly,
    I loved the new design of your decor8! It?s very feminine, delicate and well done :) The images upload is faster also. It?s great you change the font of the main texts, it?s sooooo much better to read than the first one (the font at the launch day; I don?t have vision issues but it was hard to read that tiny fonts…). Anyways, the new site is amazing :) Keep doing the great job!
    Congrats,
    Erika

29. kim commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 10:32am

beautiful stuff! especially loving “what katie does” illos… fabulous! also, loving your new blog, holly… very very nice :)

kims last blog post: Wrapping Paper Giveaway!

30. marilyn commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 11:52am

I looove the red bikini bottom drawstring pouch! So charming!!

31. alison commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 3:41pm

your blog is phenomenal – it doesn’t get any better than this! it’s the one-stop-shop for inspiration and design ideas. i love what you’ve done – you’ve inspired me!
    xo

alisons last blog post: 1960s Lingerie

32. Stephanie Levy commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 4:19pm

By the way, I love the Rachel Robertson works! A great find – I wasn’t familiar with her work until now. Thanks!

33. read me... commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 4:54pm

I really love your new look!

read me…s last blog post: George Nelson’s Pretzel chair

34. tiina commented
    January 7th, 2009 at 9:32am

Rachel Robertson’s work is beautiful. Soft delicate touch..
    Tiina