Pretty Office Accessories

I’d like to share a few products today to pretty up the office that, to borrow the expression from my pal Steven, make my heart go boom, boom, boom! And this isn’t just for the work-at-home crowd… Even when I worked in corporate I decorated my offices and cubicles over the years. Of course, I had to maintain a professional workspace and exercise more restraint, but I still had things around that made the space fit my personality. Like you, I’m a very visual person so I require color and pattern to get through the day. It’s perfectly fine to carve out a little spot that has your style written all over it, even in a sea of cubicles you don’t have to conform to their vanilla little world… Throw in a little YOU! (What is UP with most American office design anyway? Ugh. Yuck.)

I love seeing all of the Fall stuff slowly making its way into stores and Kate Spade already has her 09 desk calendars available (thanks Jon for the tip). I’ve always wanted one so just maybe I will order it for next year.

So! On with pretty things… Looking to make your office a nicer spot to hang out in? Here are some of my favorite things…

Cheri memo cube, White Cherish Labels for labeling jars, file folders, etc., report covers, Shemergency Survival Kit (not shown), and SusyJack anything… That girl is on fire, did you see her weekly paper clips and pencil cup holders?

The 2009 Kate Spade desk calendar, TokyoMilk perfumes (smelling pretty is always nice), Nacre Butterfly Knobs (Square is a good change to dress up the drawers), a girly Garden Glimpse Vases for your desk, graphic decorative file folders, and piles of paper organizing clips (love these things!).

And if you’re pulling together a home office remember to build on the basics. I like to keep all of my office furniture the same color, my home office is white. This makes it easy for me to add or subtract color. Colors are layered in through fabrics, wallpaper, lighting, desk accessories, a throw rug, and art on the wall along with an inspiration board. My favorite affordable chair out there is the CB2 Surf chair and the parsons desk from Overstock looks just like the West Elm one but is a lot more affordable. If you want something different for the walls try sticking on these 3-d floral wall decals. Not pictured, but a nice find worthy of a mention is the new anglepoise-ish floor lamp in orange or white for $68 at Anthros. If you are looking to make your own curtains or cover a bench or chair, try the Inger fabric (new).

What is your favorite thing in your office? What product out there are you loving right now for the office? Comment with a link so we can all see! :)

(images linked to sources above)

Posted by decor8 in round-up, workspace on July 30, 2008

1. Renee commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 7:28pm

I love SusyJack!! I have one of her wall calendars :)

2. lapetitemaison commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 7:34pm

Great post, Holly! The best thing about going back to school was buying new notebooks and pens. The thrill hasn’t died, although the supplies have since transitioned to the office. I just purchased this desk tray by Thomas Paul: http://store.heliotropehome.com/thpadetrset.html It’s a new favorite!

3. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 7:51pm

Oh, I love pretty office supplies! These are all wonderful and of course I am a huge fan of all things Susy Jack! I guess this isn’t strictly an office supply but, I do adore my poketo 7 day planner http://poketo.com/shop/archives/610 It is so fun to use, creative and easy to carry. Plus, it is very unique and even has a spot to write in your weekly “wish”. I love it!
    Great round up Holly~
    xo
    Melissa

4. Lexy commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 8:26pm

Oh I’ll have to clean my desk later this afternoon so I can take a photo of it for you. (I can’t believe I’ve let it get messy so soon – terrible). It’s my favourite thing in my office, not only because it’s legless and I can swoosh around the room, knee-clonking free, but my fiance made it for me (and he HATES working with wood!) so that makes it even more special :)

Lexys last blog post: Gorillarilla.

5. puglyfeet commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 8:30pm

I’ve had my eye on those decorative file folders for a while now — they’re so adorable, but also sooooooooo expensive.

6. Stacey commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 8:46pm

I have a desk from IKEA that i just love. What is so great about it is the surface area. It was very frustrating in school to have such little space, but with this monster there is room for everything!

I have the VIKA GREVSTA table top in melamine white:

and the VIKA FAGERLID table legs in birch veneer:

the only bummer is i have to wipe off the surface often because it can get dirty, which isn’t too much of a draw back because it helps me keep it from getting dusy :)

Staceys last blog post:

7. erin commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 9:52pm

thanks for sharing the overstock parsons desk, i’ve been wanting the west elm one for a cute vanity/dress-up area, but didn’t want tp spend that much. this is perfect!

8. Little Paper Dog commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 10:07pm

The Ringlet Jotters from SusyJack are just up my alley. I’m always scribbling little notes to myself and then misplacing them. What a simple / beautiful way to keep organized.

I heart this one:

Little Paper Dogs last blog post: Road Trip: Patterns

9. Gina commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 10:08pm

I love pretty office supplies! Thanks for sharing some great links to them.
    My favorites have to be cute clips and push pins. I also like a nice looking file system. If it has to a metal one, make it an unusal color, not the standard beige.

And I love your new decor 8, VERY NICE. It makes you want to stay for hours exploring.

Ginas last blog post: I?ve been seeing red

10. sandra commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 10:13pm

Papayalicious calenders are sooo pretty and colorful!! They will make you smile every day of every month. I think you will like as well.

sandras last blog post:

11. Sayeh commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 10:31pm

I love SusyJack as well! I just placed an order to have her stuff on my site that I launch August 15th(www.SortingwithStyle.com). If you love pretty office supplies you will love the collections there. I absolutely LOVE what you put together today! Thank you so much for your amazing blog :-)

Anyhow I included a link to when I put together a few weeks ago of some of the products that will be on my site via photoshop(bare with me I am a newbie).

Sayehs last blog post: Chic Office Supplies -Desk Decor

12. Carolyn commented
    July 30th, 2008 at 10:37pm

I discovered your blog today and am a bit obsessed :). I love adorable office products and work from home so get to have a ton of fun with my supplies.

I am looking for a great desktop tray (not too big, but big enough to hold a cup of pens, stapler, tape…). I just can’t seem to find something that’s fine looking yet still useable. Any suggestions??

What do I love right now?? I am definitely getting great use out of the See Jane Work Big Clipboard: http://www.seejanework.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1511.

I recently got a Smythson diary as a gift and use it a lot (especially while out of the office): http://www.smythson.com/SmythsonSite/category/Diaries/

Thanks for any help with the desk tray and again– incredible blog!!

Best wishes,
    Carolyn
    (Boston, MA)

13. kirsten commented
    July 31st, 2008 at 1:02am

well, with 3 kids the inevitable happened…my old, $65 faux-wood desk broke, literally. we built a new one over the weekend (let me rephrase that…not BUILT, more like problem-solved with 2 filing cabinets and some wood in our garage…) i LOVE it. just secured the 4 pieces of board, stained them with cup-rings and scratches, then poured 3 coats of poly…turned out cool and much cheaper than buying new. hmmm, wonder what else i can break around here. (i’ll post a pic on my family blog http://www.bearsintennessee.blogspot.com)

kirstens last blog post: ain’t no mountain high enough…

14. Design for Mankind commented
    July 31st, 2008 at 1:30am

I quite agree— Susy Jack anything! :)

Design for Mankinds last blog post: yay! our new look!

15. All Things Lovely commented
    July 31st, 2008 at 8:15am

How badly do I want those hanging files?! Far too much beautiful stuff on that site. :)

PS I adore your new blog layout, the colours are just so beautiful.

All Things Lovelys last blog post: The Dark Knight

16. Kristen C. commented
    July 31st, 2008 at 11:29am

I’m a big fan of See Jane Work (http://www.seejanework.com/) for office supplies and I LOVE Knock Knock (http://www.knockknock.biz/) because their office stuff is so much fun.

Kristen C.s last blog post: Ferris and Sloane – Table Numbers and Placecards

17. Brooke Hagel commented
    July 31st, 2008 at 12:49pm

I recently got the CB2 surf chair in white for my home office and i have to say its NOT the most comfortable chair. It looks great, and matches my nice white home office but its not really meant for sitting in for long periods of time. The seat is a little short, doesn’t support the legs enough, and there’s no back support. It’s just not comfortable. :(

Thought I’d share for anyone who was thinking of getting one. I think the West Elm white swivel chair, although like $50 or $100 more, might have been the better option.

Brooke Hagels last blog post: Custom Illustration Deposit

18. steven commented
    July 31st, 2008 at 5:17pm

hey holly…i knew that phrase of mine would catch on eventually…i happily give it free for all to use…except mine is now going boom ba boom boom..
    x

stevens last blog post: belated birthday gift

19. r8ermom commented
    August 1st, 2008 at 3:31am

I have to confess that I’m hearting many of the Sami Hayek items at Target. I never expected to find such cool stationery/office supplies at the same place where I buy toilet paper and cleaning supplies, but I love the bright colors and modern look. Also, they’re fairly inexpensive and items like the picture frame, lamps, etc. are on sale at the store right now.

20. Taz commented
    August 2nd, 2008 at 10:39am

I work from home and constantly look for adorable accessories for my office. I am IN LOVE with the “Office Basics” boxes from Sea Jane Work. http://www.seejanework.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=21&idproduct=1564

I have a few in each size, and they organize my supplies while hiding clutter. Plus the grass color is more like lime green and really pops in my space!

21. Fozia commented
    July 27th, 2009 at 7:14am

Great post! I was looking forward and didn’t expect to see it so soon! Again, great, sound advice. Looking forward to read more under those new tabs you added!

22. Lindsey@Office Refurbishment commented
    November 4th, 2009 at 7:51am

Some gorgeous accessories here, they’d look lovely on my desk. I may have to make an investment.

23. Mae commented
    October 9th, 2010 at 6:52pm

I love those supplies! Paper source is one of those stores you can just obsess over!