Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Hello decor8 readers! My name is Michelle Caplan, and I am a Mixed Media Collage Portrait Artist based out of Los Angeles and I’m here to cover Etsy Take Five Tuesday for Holly today. I was lucky enough to meet Holly in 2005 when she purchased one of my pieces. We became fast friends and she introduced me to the blogging world, and encouraged me to start my own blog. It was during the very early days of decor8, and Holly helped to inspire me then to push myself to new limits, and she inspires me now with the eye-candy that is this amazing blog! My studio is in my home and I spend a great deal of time surfing the web and seeing photos of other artist creations, but rarely get to see them in person. In an attempt to interact more with the outside world I recently began working in the new brick and morter Henry Road gift boutique located in Studio City, CA.

The store is owned by my good friend Paula Smail, who is the brains behind the fabric line Henry Road. Paula has dedicated her shop to be a fabulous place to find one-of-a-kind vintage and antique items. She has also made a commitment to showcase and support independent crafters and artists. It is a perfect balance of new and old, and of manufactured and handmade. Holly shared a mini tour of this shop in May however since many of these artisans have their own Etsy shops, I thought it might be fun to share my top 5 favorite Etsy Shops whose work I have finally seen in person in Paula’s shop, and am totally enamored with!

This adorable little gnome is the creation of the fine minds at Brooklyn Rehab. Every time I walk past him in the shop he just makes me smile! I can see him hanging out as a fun paperweight on a desk, or peeking out of a kitchen window sill herb garden. He is just too fun!

The deer head collage sculptures of Jennifer Khoshbin are fascinating in her photos, but you cant really appreciate the scale and impact until you hang one on your wall! She is definitely one of my most favored recent finds!

These anemone bowls from Element Clay Studio were so gorgeous in person, that the second we unpacked the shipment, I chose the one that would be coming home with me! It sits atop my dresser and is a great and unexpected receptacle of my jewelry at the end of every day.

We recently got in this fab pillow from the brand spanking new shop Sown! Each pillow is made from a vintage feed sack, and incorporates modern printed fabrics! This one actually has a Henry Road fabric on it! We are eagerly awaiting a new shipment!!

One of the coolest aspects of Henry Road is that every 3 months, there will be a new local artist featured on the walls! I have been a longtime admirer of Michelle Moodes work, and we have been lucky enough to have her as our late summer artist. Her smaller pieces are incredible, but large and in person, these pieces are so amazing! Each is like its own universe, reminiscent of the flower in Horton Hears a Who! I love love love Michelles’ sense of balance, and how she has expressed herself through her arrangements. (I am excited to say that my own work will be featured in the October show!)

I hope you enjoyed this mini tour through some of my favorite Etsy shops. I hope that there are some finds here that you may not have seen before, and that you will be inspired to browse Etsy.

(photos and text by michelle caplan)

Posted by decor8 in etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on August 12, 2008

1. lindsey w/coveiter commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 1:19pm

Julie feature the Element Clay Studio on our blog a few months back and I have been a fan ever since! They would surely make a lovely jewelry catch all as you mentioned.

I am really digging Michelle Moodes work as well. Love the colors.

Great Etsy Finds!

{ Lindsey }

2. paperNstitch commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 3:53pm

Thanks for sharing this. Some great finds. I really love Michelle Moodes and did not know of her before this post. I will have to go check out that link.

paperNstitchs last blog post: Cardboard for your Home

3. Kevin commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 3:56pm

I am in raging love with the Henry Road storefront! And it looks like there are plenty of neat things inside as well. I’m really loving Sown and Michelle Moodes.

4. erin commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 4:40pm

i’d love a part time job in a place like that! i’d probably shop my check away though! lol!

those anenome bowls are so cute! great finds!

5. mcaplan commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 6:12pm

Thank you guys so much for the fun comments! Michelle Moodes work is phenomenal. I am so lucky to get to sit here and stare at it all day long!

Kevin: the storefront IS awesome isnt it! I really love it too!

For sure this is a dangerous place to work. I have certainly been putting a percentage of my paycheck into shopping for myself! Who could resist!??!

Looking forward to seeing tomorrows guest blogger!
    Happy Travels Holly!!

mcaplans last blog post: Old School!

6. Tonic Home commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 11:14pm

These are all great tips! Everytime I go to Etsy, I get a little lost, so love seeing the suggestions and they are all things that I love too!

7. Kim commented
    August 12th, 2008 at 11:26pm

Great finds Michelle! I’ve been meaning to check out Henry Road, but can never seem to find the time. Thanks for giving me a sample of what’s there — now I’ve gotta make the time!

Kims last blog post: It’s cold! Grab a Blanket!

8. chickedee commented
    August 13th, 2008 at 2:15am

Wow! Michelle Moodes is fantastic! Thanks for introducing!
    Awesome finds!

chickedees last blog post: mini Japanese SCREENS

9. designnut commented
    August 13th, 2008 at 4:19am

I absolutely love the juxtaposition of materials and objects that create the unusual- like the gnome under the bell jar, the design on the deer head, and the sacks with the great fabric on the pillows! It is taking the ordinary and making it extraordinary – all in the name of good design! You made wonderful choices!

10. visualingual commented
    August 13th, 2008 at 10:49am

I love the fact that Etsy gives all this online exposure to artists and crafters to whom you might not otherwise be exposed, and then they all end up in a physical storefront together! I keep hearing from shop owners that it’s a great place [or alternative to big trade shows] to find fresh pieces.

visualinguals last blog post: Ohio River Coasters in Polka Blobs

11. willotoons commented
    August 13th, 2008 at 1:43pm

Hi Holly!

Just chiming in quick to say your new site looks GORGEOUS!! Love, love, love it…. Congrats!

xo
    w

12. Jennifer commented
    August 13th, 2008 at 7:07pm

Where are those great fabrics from on the chair?

Jennifers last blog post: Shoes From Shrubs – Anni Rapinoja

13. mcaplan commented
    August 14th, 2008 at 10:24am

Hi Jennifer,
    Those are all Henry Road fabrics!! Paula loves finding vintage furniture pieces and refinishing & reupholstering them. She has also recently stared designing lampshades with the fabrics. The results are STUNNING! We have had several clients bring us their family antiques for refurbishing!

All of the Henry Road fabrics are available by the yard, but only in the store. They may be available online in the future, but not yet.
    You can see the line at http://www.henryroad.com

Best,
    Michelle

mcaplans last blog post: Guest blogger at decor8!

14. Michelle Moode commented
    August 18th, 2008 at 4:49pm

Aw, thanks for the mention, Michelle! How are things at Henry Road? Do you and Paula need any more of my work cluttering up the store?

Hope you’re well!

Michelle.

15. Debs commented
    August 21st, 2008 at 12:56pm

Love these finds. I am a big fan of Henry Road and of Michelle’s designs.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks