How Flickr Can Inspire Creativity

Hello again everyone! It’s Ez from Creature Comforts and I’d like to share a little bit of my inspiration process with you all today. It’s very easy to look at a singular item and think to ourselves, I like that/I don’t like that… but pulling together a cohesive “look” from these things can sometimes feel frustrating or even impossible. A couple of years ago I could never have looked at a beloved pile of magazine tears, nicknack’s, and other odds and ends and described how they would translate into anything more than just a pile of jumbled inspirations. All this changed for me when I joined flickr (a fabulous photo sharing site) and began collecting “favorites” from fellow flickr member’s photostreams. Suddenly there was a semblance of order to the things I liked. I spotted a trend immediately, and have been fascinated to see myself revealed through the collection of my favorites ever since. f you haven’t tried flickr yet… I highly recommend it!

So for today I’ve gathered several photos I saved on flickr and have used them to inspire a fictional office space that I’d love to have. In these photos I see: Beautiful flowery pinks, soft creamy whites, and rich wood tones… delicate romantic light and crisp modern accents.

{Flickr Favs}

• Mary Goes Around by birth1226
  • J by Leo Reynolds {I love this bold modern typeface painted in bright pink… so playful and fun}
  • Red Peonies by Flower Press – {the colors in this beautiful fabric inspired the whole palette for the room}
  • Untitled by Letteria
  • Untitled by Sofia
  • Magic Number One by Miniature Mouse
  • Untitled by Fetie – {I see this photo representing gorgeous floor to ceiling cream toned curtains}

{Office Space}
1. “Love Candy” art print in cotton candy by Jennifer Ramos
2. Premier Wood Magnet Board at Fred Flare
3. Lip Balm Tint in Red Current by Perfumeria Gal, at BeautyHabit
4. Old School Lined Notebook by Bubbo
5. Pharmacy Desk Lamp at Crate and Barrel
6. Bayswater Bag in raspberry by Mulberry
7. Hulger – P*Phone and USB*Base in Pink at 2Modern
8. Reveal Desk at Crate and Barrel
9. Savoir Chair at Crate and Barrel
10. Walnut Desk Accessories at CB2
11. “Lawn” Fabric in Hot Pink by Flowie
12. Lost – Photographic Print by Sugar Snaps

View all of my favorites in one place right here.

Have a fabulous day!
xo,
Ez

(images linked to sources above. all words, layouts, and text by creature comforts.)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers, round-up, workspace on August 19, 2008

1. Capella commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 1:58pm

I just discovered this blog! This article is amazing.

I just joined flickr and I am finding it very fun. It is the ultimate in window shopping online.

Capellas last blog post: My team SF Etsy won Blog of the Week

2. Andy Mathis commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 2:50pm

I love flickr. Mostly for browsing pet photos that people take and share.

Andy Mathiss last blog post: Pocket Mirrors!!!

3. Beau commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 2:56pm

Very sweet blog! Thank you for the inspiration!

Beaus last blog post: Sweet Find – just $1

4. Little Paper Dog commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 3:09pm

Great post Ez!
    I am totally obsessed with Flickr. I love finding daily inspiration there.

Little Paper Dogs last blog post: Is It Just Me?

5. Leigh commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 3:34pm

Its like you read my mind today, I was up searching for Domino’s new My Deco file, I was so excited to start a paperless inspiration board for my design inspirations, and never really thought about using flickr as well.
    So thank you.

Leighs last blog post: Push art print

6. Kelly | Purple Lemon Designs commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 3:44pm

I am in love with all of these images, Ez! They are such eye candy!

7. Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 3:57pm

Beautiful color palette! I would LOVE to see an office based on these inspiring items.

8. paperNstitch commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 5:39pm

You are all the place this week Ez. I just saw that you blogged on Coco+Kelly too. You are a busy lady. :) Nice inspiration board.

paperNstitchs last blog post: Bag ReForm

9. pipee commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 6:21pm

I love this! The inspiration is so obvious – you did a fantastic job of pulling things together for a room I too would love to have and work in – nice!

10. ChrysRT commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 6:38pm

Thank you for sharing your creative process and inspiration. It gives me a confirmation that what I am doing is the right thing.

I have just opened a flickr account in order to define my style through my favorites. For so long I only had a very blurry idea of what I liked. But through this inspirational tool it is becoming clearer to me.

Since then I felt inspire to create in my studio because I am becoming more aware of (Can I say) who I am. I know this is not the only thing that defines me but really this is how I am feeling and it is such a good feeling.

I must say that everything changed when I tumbled across Decor8 blog! Being constantly challenged by all this creative inspiration, it made me want to know more about myself.

I guess what I want to say is thank you to all the bloggers. Your work impacts our life!

11. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 19th, 2008 at 8:05pm

This is just gorgeous hun! So wonderful….It is inspiring me and making me wish I had a little office all my own! :)
    xo
    Melissa
    ps LOVE Flowie :)

Melissa de la Fuentes last blog post: hope II

12. julieann commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 9:27am

Ez
    I love your office grouping and have also found myself in love with Flickr, there is so much inspiration on that site!
    One of my favorite Etsy shops is Sugar Snaps, the “lost” pic you posted is just so sweet. thanks for sharing

13. Laurelsl commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 10:11am

Me too, agree. I look at the flickr every day, for my job I search all the update design and beautiful stuffs on Flickr.

Laurelsls last blog post:

14. Nicole commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 10:43am

Wow – what a neat post! I too collect all sorts of scraps of inspiration, but it always just feels like a million separate items. I’ll definitely need to try out your ‘Favoriting’ (is that even a word?!) trick!

Nicoles last blog post: "Funniest" Site Ever

15. imichalova commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 10:46am

I am on flickr three years already and I agree that it is great place. My biggest passion is fiber art and I found there hundreds of nice people and thousands of inspiring images. You can see them in my favourites: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imichalova/favorites/

imichalovas last blog post: Free form crocheting – my future bag

16. molly commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 11:49am

I just love flickr, there is so much inspiration to be found there. Your favorites are beautiful, Ez. I adore the colors, and can so easily imagine working in that dreamy office you’ve put together.

17. Ez commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 4:58pm

Thank you all for your kind comments! I’m so glad you’ve found flickr to be as inspiring a resource as I have. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without all the beauty that is available on there!

Thank you again for making my day everyone!
    xox
    Ez

18. dana commented
    August 20th, 2008 at 5:52pm

how does one found out how to navigate the flickr website? I have tried, but cannot figure out how to view and select photos for my inspiration file.
    thanks.

19. JENNIFER RAMOS commented
    August 21st, 2008 at 2:47pm

hey EZ i liked your post, so GIRLY! thanks for including my work too!
    You rock!
    P.S. I downloaded the image of the “J” for my desktop wallpaper, love it.

Jen Ramos
    ‘100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com