My Love for Pillows

Thank you so much for having me as a guest contributor today on your fabulous newly designed decor8, Holly! Hello everyone, this is Irene — some of you may know me from my blog Bloesem or B:Kids, two blogs that are about expressing my ideas about design and giving exposure to many creative talents in our world while looking at beautiful images that inspire much day dreaming!

Just a few inspirational images from the portfolio of Stylist Irina Graewe above. Don’t these pillows make the space so much nicer? I think they also provide a nice base as this post is about some of my favorite pillows and now you can also see how I enjoy seeing them displayed in the home.

Those who know me well understand that pillows and I go very well together… I guess it has something to do with my love for beautiful fabrics. When I see a nice fabric I think that it would make an awesome pillow, so in our house there are many different styles and types — mostly made by me, but the ones I’m mentioning today could easily fit in our collection as well.

The first ones that I would like to show you express my love for vintage and linen. Mel Bomba from Sydney is a graphic designer by trade but in her etsy shop, MelVilleMade, you can find these awesome pillows that will fit in any interior. Mel and I both prefer books with pictures over those with only words and we share a love for the color green. An instant connection!

These lovely cushions have a very fresh and retro feel and are made by the Toronto based company, Tonic Living. They are a small, family-owned operation selling a large pillow collection online. I?m thinking of ordering these for our balcony, which I?m currently redecorating with only white and wood furniture and bright accessories. These will bring such an extra summer feel. For inside our apartment these ?grass? pillows would be great, like I said before green is my favorite color, together with my grays and linen I think it would look very nice and chic. The people behind Tonic Living strongly believe in Karma, positive energy, quality and their slogan is, ?We hope that the cushions bring new life and energy to your living space which makes us an overall “Tonic” for your life!?

These are not your average pillows, but very funky ones with some great illustrations on them made by the creative duo Leal&Mabe, two people who feel strongly about bringing good design and respectful manufacturing practices to market. I discovered them at the fabulous online shop Supermarket.

At Volga Linen you can find the basics that are so important for decorating a house, beautiful colors combined with linen textiles make the perfect pillows. Volga Linen is a family-run British company with strong ties to Russia, where they obtain these exquisite linens.

And last but certainly not least are these lovely appliqued handmade pillows by Dawanda seller, Brokesy who has a collection featuring all things about air travel. As well as making pillows, this Canadian lady works as a costume designer, stylist and a wardrobe girl (not sure what that is) in L.A, California.

So that?s it for today, I hope you like my selection of pillows and I wish Holly a wonderful stay in Germany in her new place!

(photos linked to sources above, text by Irene Hoofs of Bloesem.)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers, textiles on August 22, 2008

1. Paisley Jade commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 6:20am

What a lovely selection of pillows – I love them all!

Paisley Jades last blog post: Inspirational Softie-maker

2. kanika commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 7:55am

Hi Irene..its good to see you here on decor8. I am a reagular reader of your blog bloesem too! this post on interior stylist Irine Graewe is so awesome! i am completely in love with her work..:) thanks for shering it with us!

kanikas last blog post: its bittersweet

3. Cicada Studio commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 8:29am

Pillows are one of my weaknesses.

Cicada Studios last blog post: One Year Already?

4. Kim Gray commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 10:23am

Love this post! I am such a cushion/fabrics fan! Stunning styling from Irina G! THANKS!

Kim Grays last blog post: Bowled over

5. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 10:32am

Hi Irene,
    Ahh…pillows! Love them! I love your picks and the inspirational images.Thank you for sharing and are there images of your home somewhere that I missed?
    xo
    Melissa

6. Megan commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 11:56am

i adore that last sat of pillows. they’re so fun and inspiring. good picks :)

Megans last blog post: i would wear this….to work hard & play hard

7. eileen commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 12:14pm

Does Brokesy sell somewhere that is dollar-denominated? The link above shows prices in Euro. I am based in LA and would prefer not get hit by the atrocious exchange rate.

8. anne commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 8:45pm

Love the eastbay, it’s my hometown! Thanks the the great pictures + words.

annes last blog post: Freewheelin’ Friday. put it on ice.

9. irene commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 9:43pm

Thanks everybody for your nice comments! Regarding your question Eileen … I just found her etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5077848 and all prices are in USD. Enjoy your shopping!
    Irene {ps. thanks again Holly and wish you a wonderful weekend}

irenes last blog post: Paper N Stitch

10. Crystal commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 10:06pm

Whoooo, I really like the Leal &Mabe Creatri pillow (the one with the squid…awwww, squids <3 )! I’d actually never heard of Leal&Mabe, so thanks for this great find!

Crystals last blog post: "Off" Colors and Some New Works by Me

11. Crystal commented
    August 22nd, 2008 at 10:07pm

Hmmm, wait, that’s very OBVIOUSLY a jellyfish….silly me :)

Crystals last blog post: "Off" Colors and Some New Works by Me

12. Magda commented
    August 24th, 2008 at 4:19pm

If you love pillows… you should check my good friend Marcela Pepe’s work. She is a Brazilian designer living in NYC.

13. MelBomba commented
    August 25th, 2008 at 4:20am

Wow today while eating lunch at the computer while at work I got a very pleasant shock when I saw my pillows featured. Thanks Holly, I’m a daily reader and you make my lunch break colourful and inspirational.

MelBombas last blog post: bad ass tooth

14. Snapdragon Inn commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 9:55am

Delicious! We were just talking about needing to find links to pillows we love and here they are in ONE post. Thanks for all your hard work in finding.

Snapdragon Inns last blog post: Pillows – gathering thoughts

15. Pillows commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 5:12am

Just love your collection, there is nothing better than lazying in comfy pillows.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. decor8 » Blog Archive » Interiors Inspiration…