My Office Update for Under $200

Hello there! It’s me Nicole again from Making it Lovely. I’m transforming my so-so house into a lovely home, and I thought I’d share a little of my process with you while Holly’s away!

My office was one of the first rooms I finished when my husband and I moved into our home last year. As you know, I own Pink Loves Brown and I work from home, so I needed my office to be functional as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I didn’t put all that much thought into the design of it. It’s really not that bad, but I’m ready for a change.

(photo by Evan Thomas, from my Apartment Therapy House Tour last year)

Here’s my office as it is now:

The basics of the room will be staying. That means I’ll be keeping my desk, chair, bookshelf, lamp, and several other items. I’m even keeping the paint color! Normally, paint would be the first thing to go because it’s such an easy way to change a room for little money, but I think the color will work really well so it’s staying!

I’m only changing four things. That’s it! I think it will make enough of a difference to keep me happy for a while though.

I can make the curtains out of Robert Kaufman’s Purple Utopia fabric for about $50 and then splurge on a Thomas Paul Flourish violet linen pillow for $100. I’ll attempt to make a slipcover for my desk chair (around $10), and then I’ll pick up a new Helmer drawer unit in white from IKEA for $40. The red one I have now could be spray painted if I wanted to do this all for even less, but I actually need another draw unit in my studio so I’ll just bring the old one up there.

So with two purchases, two sewing projects, and $200, I can have a whole new look! That is unless I change my mind and go with something else first. It’s been known to happen. ;) So what do you think about my office ideas? What are some quick changes you’ve made to spruce up your home office lately?

(images linked to sources above, layout and text by nicole)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips, guest bloggers, workspace on August 26, 2008

1. Kara commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 6:40am

I think your office looks lovely already, but it’s going to be GREAT when it’s been re-done!

Karas last blog post: I Wish More People Used Brightkite

2. rebecca commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 7:16am

Fantastic office re-vamp! …and on a budget too. I just love it. I have to get me that red draw tower from Ikea.

3. daisy janie / scoutie girl commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 9:22am

Very pretty Nicole (both of them). It’s amazing how much lighter the paint swatch looks in the bottom collection, even tho it’s exactly the same. Love that effect!! Have fun!

4. Diana commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 9:35am

Beautiful! What a great way to update your office! I love your desk choice, and I have that same IKEA shelf unit in my office! My hubby and I tacked brightly painted backerboard to it to give it a little kick. And I had to buy a lovely plant to keep me company. But sadly work on my office/workspace is slow-moving, with so many other house projects in the works.

Dianas last blog post: Birthplace of the American Industrial Revolution

5. PJ commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 1:20pm

I can’t wait to see the results of the update! I love how just a few small changes can make a big difference.

PJs last blog post: my new bamf* ride

6. Nichole commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 1:22pm

The colors and simplicity of your office are inspiring! I have to ask (and sorry that this seems kinda dorky), but what about the multi-level organizer on your desk? I’ve always tried finding cute yet useful office items like that, but always end up with the bulky black plastic ones! :)

7. debra commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 2:41pm

i love the pillow you have picked out for the new office! it really pulls the colors together (and it doesn’t hurt that it’s just super cute!)

8. Taylor commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 5:01pm

Who says great decorating can’t be dirt cheap?!
    Not to mention it’s amazing how a few small changes can make a world of difference!

Looks great.

Taylors last blog post: Copper Earrings

9. All Things Lovely commented
    August 26th, 2008 at 6:44pm

It’s going to look absolutely gorgeous! The colours are so pretty and feminine. My office is a slow job, I’ve painted it, and now I’m slowly repainting old furniture white. Another year or so and I should be done!

I love how you’re also going with a white base and then adding snippets of colour, can’t wait to see the finished result.

All Things Lovelys last blog post: My New Bedroom

10. Making it Lovely commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 10:25am

Thanks, everyone!

Nichole, the organizer on my desk is actually two organizers stacked on top of one another. The horizontal trays were from The Container Store (they’re just silver mesh and they stack together). The hot pink divider on top that holds paper vertically was by Isaac Mizrahi for Target.

Making it Lovelys last blog post: Home Magazine

11. Becky commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 11:34am

Love the mood boards! And you know what, I have gotten several brand new Thomas Paul pillows off of ebay, usually in the $30 range. The exact one you like may not be listed, especially if it’s the current season, but there may be one with the same colors you like. Just an idea.

I’ve gotten the yellow/gold barnwood pillow, the big green bouquet one, and others. And don’t get me started on his melamine plates–seriously addictive!

Beckys last blog post: My Beauty Autobiography: Sell a Child and Buy This Stuff

12. Mary T commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 12:53pm

How is that chair to work in? I’m guessing good as you’re getting a second one! I’m thinking about getting that for my own home (and pink!) office.

13. katelynjane commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 2:48pm

I have that cream colored drawer set from IKEA (: They’re really handy for storing little things, I love it!

Thanks for the link to that fabric site too, I’ll have to buy from there for my bags!!

katelynjanes last blog post: The snow will kill me yet.

14. katelynjane commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 2:49pm

Um yeah, also, that’s so not my blog post it linked too…weird…

katelynjanes last blog post: The snow will kill me yet.

15. Elizabeth commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 3:38pm

This office is beautiful!! And it’s going to be beautiful again. I’m in love with the desk. I see a change in my future…. :)

Elizabeths last blog post: My First Daring Baker’s Challenge!

16. Pencils commented
    August 27th, 2008 at 10:19pm

I think it will look great! I love the curtain fabric. I think your office will be more calm with the new scheme, which might make it easier to get work done.

17. Jennae @ Green Your Decor commented
    August 28th, 2008 at 9:24am

I’m a little partial to the original pops of red, but I love the new fabric and pillow ? mostly because I love Thomas Paul. Either way, you have impeccable taste!

18. Sugarblush commented
    August 30th, 2008 at 11:07am

I’m totally loving the new look. The office will look great. I love that pillow!

19. maryam in marrakech commented
    September 1st, 2008 at 11:15am

oooh, I want your old office. The red is so invigorating. But white will be very fresh:)

20. martie commented
    June 30th, 2009 at 9:15pm

hey! great office! I think that you should tell us how much each item costs so that if someone likes a piece of furniture, they can just glance at the price and decide whether or not they should buy it. Thanks!

21. Jamie Goldberg, AKBD, CAPS commented
    July 3rd, 2009 at 10:47pm

Great job! It’s so important to have your work space be inspiring! Here are some more affordable tips from my Gold Notes blog: http://jgkitchens.blogspot.com/2009/05/style-list-3-150-max-home-office.html. Each one is $150 or less!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Making it Lovely » Blog Archive » My Office Update for Under $200 (at decor8)
  2. shelterrific » Blog Archive » blogwatch: where we’ve been clicking this week