Meet Milchmaedchen Design

Happy September everyone! I promised on Friday when I wrote about My Hamburg Trip that I’d show you a store that I particularly enjoyed there called Milchmaedchen. This pretty shop is owned by Irina Hultzsch, who moved to Hamburg one year ago and opened Milchmaedchen in November 2007. Previously she had her atelier/gallery in Munich. Irina is an architect with five years of working experience including a few months focusing on interiors in NYC. Her Hamburg shop features the work of independent artists based mostly in Europe and America like The Black Apple, Lisa Stickley, Katrin Mueller bears, feinedinge (I purchased these), The O Dor (lovely tea from France in beautiful tins) and some of her own designs featuring Milk Maid illustrations stitched onto felt wallets and cotton bags.

When I asked her why she opened a shop she said, “The impulse was to create a platform for young designers and artists who are working in ateliers hidden from their potential customers. I have been traveling a lot – so while discovering new cities there’s always a chance to get in contact with creative people.” Irina also told me that Milchm?dchen Design (the shop) is the connector in real life in addition to the possibilities of the internet (for instance her website and blog).

Speaking of connecting people via the web, if you are interested in contacting Irina to potentially offer your products in her Hamburg shop, you may contact her via email at shop(at)milchmaedchen-design.de. She requests that if you would like to sell your products there you should enclose some photos and tell her about your work and professional background. Don’t forget to include your website or blog if you have one.

Travel Tip: Like many of us, Irina is a foodie and has some dining out suggestions in case you’d like to visit Hamburg in the near future. She’s a fan of Bistrot Vienna (delicious and cozy) on. Fettstr. 2, Rocco (Trattoria, great Italian food) located at Wohlwillstr. 29, and An Khang (Vietnamese Restaurant) at Hoheluftchaussee 86 (sorry no website).

Hope you enjoyed visiting this lovely shop today! Thank you Irina for having me!

(photographs taken by Holly Becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, Shop Tours, travel on September 02, 2008

1. Kim Wallace commented
    September 2nd, 2008 at 6:47am

What a great store! Lovely post ? lovely blog! Jealous of the fact that you are so much closer to my home (the Netherlands) than me at the moment (in Australia)… Enjoy!

Kim Wallaces last blog post: In the Making: Professional Members’ Exhibition

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 2nd, 2008 at 10:26am

Such a beautiful shop and a lovely lady! Wonderful wares and so wish I could visit! *sigh* Thank you for sharing!
    xo
    Melissa

Melissa de la Fuentes last blog post: Ellie

3. Yana commented
    September 2nd, 2008 at 3:06pm

It looks like the items were picked one by one with sensitivity and attention.
    Very nice.

Yanas last blog post: Wonderful Etsy Items!

4. carolina bleu commented
    September 2nd, 2008 at 5:43pm

what a lovely shop

5. Laura GF commented
    September 21st, 2008 at 10:22pm

Everything there is just so lovely but I am especially drawn to the cylinder lamps in the second photo from the bottom. Is there a way to buy them online or are they available in the US? Any information would be helpful :) Thank you so much for your wonderful site!

6. Christine commented
    September 28th, 2008 at 4:02am

I second Laura’s comment — I am madly in love with those cylinder lamps. Can I buy them online or find them in the US somewhere?

Trackbacks and Pingbacks