Living & More = Magazine Heaven

I thought I’d introduce you to my favorite magazine in Germany, Living & More. Their website is pretty bad, but the magazine is above and beyond the website (thankfully) so don’t let their online look spoil your fun! German magazines are still working to get their act together when it comes to web presence but they are making progress slowly but surely. Anyway, this magazine is just great. Many of you who read decor8 do not have access to decorating magazines here so this little post is dedicated to you!

I must say that I know nothing about the publisher behind the magazine except they are called Living & More Verlag GmbH and are based in Offenburg, Germany, so I can’t give them a very good introduction. I do hope though that the images give you a nice preview of what you can except from this publication. Color, style, and lots of inspiration. I find that in most Dutch and German magazines though that many of the homes featured are from Australia and Scandinavia. I find this strange because there are PLENTY of stylish people living in Holland and Germany and I’m certain they live in magazine-worthy homes. I wonder why this is? I have several friends here in Hannover that live in magazine-ish homes but they’ve never been published. So very odd. Anyone know why this is so often the way it is? American design magazines are much different, the focus is always on American homes.

A gorgeous desk organizer DIY project from the current issue of Living & More (Oktober 2008, Nr.7, page 34. Photo by Linnea Press.)

The city apartment of Parisian designer Vanessa Bruno. (Living & More, Aug/Sept 08, Nr. 6, pages 24-33.) Photos by Brigetta Wolfgang Drejer/Sisters Agency.

Living & More not only produces 8 issues per year under the same name, but they also run these ‘specials’ like Wohnen & Wohlf?hlen and Living & More Premium – the edition that just hit newsstands here is called Country Tr?ume Wohnen and it’s amazing.

The living room of homeowner Pia Aardestrup based in Copenhagen. (Living & More, Oktober 2008, Nr.7, pages 6-15.) Photos by: Anita Behrendt/Linnea Press.

More images of Pia’s very blue and beautiful home. (Living & More, Oktober 2008, Nr.7, pages 6-15.) Photos by: Anita Behrendt/Linnea Press.

I can’t take my eyes off of Pia’s gorgeous cabinet, I love this washed look. (Living & More, Oktober 2008, Nr.7, pages 6-15.) Photo by: Anita Behrendt/Linnea Press.

This is a great spread, it features several fun DIY projects involving painted flowers on walls and furniture, complete with stencils. (Living & More “Wohnen & Wohlf?hlen” issue, LI039, pages 37-39, 60-61) Photos: Linnea Press.

The home of Australian shop owner of Empire Vintage and stylist Lyn Gardner. (Living & More Premium “Country Tr?ume Wohnen” issue, LP003, pages 52-67.) Photos by: Mikkel Vang/Taverne Agency.

More of Lyn Gardner. (Living & More Premium “Country Tr?ume Wohnen” issue, LP003, pages 52-67.) Photos by: Mikkel Vang/Taverne Agency.

I think that you can purchase all of these issues shown here in this post on this website, though I’m not sure if they ship outside of Germany. Give it a try though. I know you can also email them to order magazines: email: abo [dot] livingandmore [at] guell [dot] de

I hope you had fun peeking inside of the pages of my favorite German decorating magazine today!

(images photographed by holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines, Decorating Tips, inspiration, stationery, travel, walls on September 17, 2008

1. Nina commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 9:43am

That photo with the DIY organizer is stunning. And so is the little blue cabinet… Adore!

2. Gritt commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 10:21am

i just recently discovered your blog and was interested by your story of living in germany and the US. my story is the exact oposite… i don’t live in both countries though. (i wish)
    anyways, the magazine i aways get when i’m back home is called “atrium”. check it out. let me know if you like it….

liebe grueesse!

3. Gritt commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 10:28am

i just checked real quick to see if they have a website, but negative.

here’s a link for a subscription… just so you can see the cover.

4. Gritt commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 10:30am

there actually is a link to the home page on the subscription site:

5. thevintagechair commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 12:44pm

Wow!! SO pretty! If only I read German. Sad day.

Very inspiring pictures though!

thevintagechairs last blog post: Jazzing It Up

6. Diana commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 12:53pm

Oh how lovely! I love the mix of colors with whites – seems much more vibrant than what I’ve seen lately in the US. The exposed beams in the 3rd photo are simply gorgeous!

And that cabinet is stunning – if you’re ever in Philly you really must go to Material Culture, they have some great old pieces like that.

Dianas last blog post: On the island…

7. Coco commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 2:02pm

you just hit one of the hot topics on one of the forums I visit… Why are there always so many scandinavian and other different countries published in the decor magazines and only one or two dutch homes? We don’t know the answer, maybe someone else who reads this blogs can tell us?

Love your post again and love the house of Pia Aardestrup!

8. Patricia Shea commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 3:26pm

Heaven indeed. I am a decor magazineaholic and did not know about this little German treasure. My faves are Marie Claire special editions…especially the Christmas one which is jam packed with great arts and crafts ideas and pictures thereof, of course it helps to read French to do any of the crafts or who knows what you’ll end up with, and British Country Living which is a DREAM, not all decor but plenty to satisfy the hungry decor tooth! I have found both of these mags at my local Barnes and Noble and Borders so they are reaonably well available in the US.

Patricia Sheas last blog post: James and I apply to the "Art of Action":Shaping Vermont’s future through art

9. Ina commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 3:29pm

I’ve just fallen in love with Living & More magazine recently, too! Even though they seem to just buy exisiting spreads from international agencies instead of creating and/or commissioning them themselves – hence the abundance of Scandinavian homes I suppose. But I’ll forgive them (and get the ‘Country-Tr?ume’ asap! :)

Inas last blog post: When Wallace met Harvey

10. Angie commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 5:28pm

This is exactly why I love your blog! You bring the world to us in the North America!

11. jenny holiday commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 7:23pm

ooooh Everything is sooo fabulous!! Loving it all to bits!! Thanks bunches for sharing!!!!!

Such eye candy!!!

Love from the Jersey Shore!
    Jenny …a big fan

12. Grace@PoeticHome commented
    September 17th, 2008 at 10:38pm

What a lovely sneak peek!! I love the range of styles in all the homes — so much creative inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing Holly!

Grace@PoeticHomes last blog post: Airplanes + Vintage Industrial = Voila!

13. Anke commented
    September 18th, 2008 at 2:00am

I subscribe to “Living&More” and “BoligLiv” from Denmark and as Ina said – “Living&More” seems to buy a lot of content from Scandinavian magazines. It’s cheaper for them and that’s why they don’t feature German homes very often. A lot of the spreads where in “BoligLiv” before they appear in “Living&More” months later. Sometimes they choose different photos from the same shoot so you get to see other details of the same home which is great. It’s still my favourite German magazine and the only one I’m not throwing out or giving away after a while.

Ankes last blog post: Louise Campbell – the Prince Chair

14. Rossy commented
    September 18th, 2008 at 5:02am

Hello from Bulgaria,
    I am reading yor blog since some time, and enjoy it.
    Soon I’ve also bought from Germany Living&More and was really nice surprised from it. I also think that it is one of the best avialable magazines in Germany

15. Jany commented
    September 18th, 2008 at 8:17am

I also think many “home-tours” are swapped from one magazine to another.
    As for the lack of german appartments…i think it is not really in the german mentality to show your home ( i’m german ). I had my kitchen published a few months ago, but have to admit that i was very surprised when the (italian ) magazine contacted me via Flickr where they had seen my photos.

Liebe Gr?sse

Jany

16. Marian commented
    September 18th, 2008 at 10:08am

Hello there!
    Lovely pictures… really feel like getting that magazine. I live in The Netherlands, right by the german border, so I might go get it.
    Regarding the dutch magazines, although Im no expert whatsoever, I think it has to do with selling what people here like and want: minimalistic functional decor, not too bold or crazy (people seem scare of bright colors)… and the sense of space. It is such a tiny overpopulated country (and houses are not even half the size of an average american or australian house) that Im guessing that marketing wise, it is a smart idea to present houses with lots of space and light (light we lack here too, cloudy most of the time), big backyards, etc. Minimalistic and country like furniture and decor helps that idea.
    On the other hand a scandinavian look is easy to achieve via Ikea (and cheap).
    There is a magazine called Seasons that I buy, which sells more the country life feeling… with lots of expensive leather riding boots, castles and brocante/antique items from France… that’s for another market… which isn’t that easy to obtein (not easy= expensive :) ).

I dont know.. Im just writing as I think about the whole thing. Im not an expert but since I am Argentinean, an outsider, I see the culture from outside…so I might be able to see something else.

Hope that helped…

17. magikquilter commented
    September 18th, 2008 at 12:41pm

I find it amazing that you have Australian homes in the magazines there…i just checked out Empire Vintage…wish she had an online store…her stuff is divine and so Melbourne. We have scattered stores like hers in Sydney but she seems to do the whole package….hiring and design and vintage things for sale as well.

I love the blue cabinet in the other home too.

magikquilters last blog post: Olga Meets Scrumptiousness

18. moline commented
    September 18th, 2008 at 6:22pm

This is my all time favourite German magazine and I have the issues from day one – can you believe it??? They are easy when it comes to out of Europe subscription – i had it delivered in Istanbul and in Mexico and believe me: they never failed (and I cannot say that about Martha Stewart Living – THAT was a nightmare in Germany, in Turkey AND in Mexico!) I am glad you discovered it and love it – this mag really inspired me and still inspires me. I coped so many things. the only negative thing is that if you are a frequent reader you can skip the extra issues because the articles are all from old mags. And that is really annoying me. And now after 7 or 8 years they start repeating things. maybe I should write to them. but all in all it is still my favourite and it is really a great day when it comes via mail. I’ll flip through and call my friend (hoppetosse) immediately to chack out what we will be crafting from this issue.
    hugs to you who seems to like Germanyb soooo much!
    yvonne

molines last blog post: Back again!

19. Clare commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 5:37am

Thanks for this peak into Living and More. I really enjoy reading international design, home and craft magazines – the pictures are often so different to local ones (Australian for me) and even the way they style their food articles is fascinating. They often make me want to hop on a plane and spend a few weeks browsing through all the shops they source their products from – luckily for my wallet I just dream! I even convince myself they are educational as I stumble through the foreign languages trying to pick up the gist of what they are saying.

Clares last blog post: Little Cotton Rabbits…

20. Gisela commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 11:22am

I’ve been in Germany two years ago and got an issue of Wohnen & Wohlf?hlen, it’s fantastic!!! (just the pictures because I don’t read german)
    I also liked another one called Deco Home, here’s the website http://www.winkler-online.de/magazine/deco-blaettern-eng.php
    I’m a magazine junkie, even living in Argentina, which means international magazine subscriptions are really very expensive, but luckily we have digital!!! (not the same, I know) I buy a lot of digital magazines from Zinio, does anyone know any other Zinio-like web?

21. nichole commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 12:30pm

I also love Wohnen and Wohlf?hlen. I travel to Germany for work, and I always get a copy.

nicholes last blog post: Honey Tree Photography

22. Tracey commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 1:01pm

Love, love, love German magazines! Home decor ones are very good, as well as the architecture ones. I think their gardening photos are amazing. Fortunately for me, I do read/speak German and I have a lovely mother-in-law that lives in Germany and sends me fun stuff!

Traceys last blog post: It?s a Dog?s Life!

23. Marjolijn commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 5:30pm

Hello there! Yes, you can subscribe to these magazines living abroad; I live in Belgium and receive Living & More since one year now. They even sent me Country Tr?ume every time for free. Great service!
    Very interesting blog you have and I like your ideas, tips and creations! Thank you. I?ll be back.
    Good night, Marjolijn

Marjolijns last blog post: Do you have an appointment?…

24. greenolive commented
    September 22nd, 2008 at 7:33am

Hey, Lyn lives in Melbourne and her hair is ALWAYS that big and wild. I spied her early one Sunday morning (8.30am) at a well-known market here and she was dressed up to the nines – big hair, cute fitted vintage suit and flower!

greenolives last blog post: please sir, I want some more

25. kiki commented
    May 15th, 2012 at 4:57pm

i love the magazine!
    when i used to live in my houme country (croatia) i used to buy it every month but then i moved to dubai and it was impossible to find Living & more ovethere…so I subscribed to it! :-)
    I highly recommend to all of you who like vintage style, romatic and eclectic homes, scandinavian design and…nice photos!
    best regards,