Inspiring Canadian Home

I recently stumbled across the lovely home photos of freelance children’s book illustrator Claire Louise Milne on Flickr and asked her if she’d like to share her space on decor8. Lucky for us she said yes! Here’s a little peek at her darling abode in Toronto, Canada where she resides with her husband Bradley. In addition to photos, I asked her a few questions so that you could gain a little insight into what inspires her and where she finds her cool stuff. :)

In this photo I’d like to not only highlight the lovely orange and purple combo, but the wood storage box from IKEA that Claire painted and added wallpaper to. I’m going to run to IKEA next week to buy one of these for my new kitchen to store my tea bags in. Love this idea — so creative!

How do you find time to decorate?

“It’s just over a year since we bought our first house, so there is still so much to do! Most of my projects tend to be driven by the same goal, to make a tiny house (1-bedroom) as light and airy as possible. I work at home (as an illustrator) which really helps because I putter around tidying when I’m procrastinating. Also because I’m a freelancer there are sometimes gaps between projects which gives me more time. Also our house is tiny which forces you to edit all the time because there’s just no room! I find it hard to concentrate on work when things are too cluttered around me.”

Here’s a better view of Claire’s IKEA hack. :)

I really like her craft studio, especially that glass cabinet with those fancy doors. She used wallpaper in similar cabinets to give them a bit of a transformation, which you will see in the next photo, but either way the cabinet looks lovely to me. Claire recently blogged about her craft studio in case you’d like to read more about it just click here.

Where do you find the things that you use in your home?

“I find a lot of things at flea markets, antique shops, craigslist or thrift shopping. Mainly because I love vintage or antique things. I also find lots of good basics at places like IKEA.”

Here are her secretary desks with wallpaper inside. So pretty!

What are some of your favorite things in your home?

“I love my old singer sewing table which is actually a very practical way to have a dedicated sewing corner without taking up much space. Also the box you’ve seen was a very simple project but I loved the results.”

This is one very organized lady!

What inspires your decorating projects?

“I’m inspired a lot by pictures in books and magazines. Whenever we’re starting a new decorating project I go through a big stack of books to get ideas. Also there are a few decor blogs I like too – such as decor8. :) I’m also addicted to decor programs on TV.”

This is a really pretty view of her kitchen, I am LOVING the curtains with the tiny dots… I have a blouse like this that I think I wore every day this summer. :)

Another kitchen view… Great gray walls I think.

A collection of vintage tins for sewing supplies keeps things neat and pretty.

More tins and stacks and stacks of fabrics for her quilts – yes she makes quilts too! I love this lady, she can quilt and draw. Some people have all the luck!

Here’s a glimpse of her dining room with cabinets from IKEA (Liatorp bookcases to be precise).

Find Claire here: Flickr: Needle Book, her blog, professional portfolio, and a list of her published books.

Thanks Claire for visiting all of us today on decor8!

(images from claire louise milne)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips, Home Tours on September 19, 2008

1. Kami commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 6:01pm

sigh..a girl can dream, right? insanely gorgeous home, Claire! I love all the whites and organization! You’ve given me some great ideas for my own craft/creative corner that I’m trying to carve out in my new place. thank you for sharing your wonderful abode!

2. cindy k commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 6:21pm

ey caramba – claire’s home is so organized and just beautiful.

cindy ks last blog post: s/he : sweet heart

3. Christina @ Pardon My Vintage commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 7:55pm

I fell in love with her studio a few months ago through Flickr; I love that retro red tin! So nice to see the rest of her lovely home. :-)

Christina @ Pardon My Vintages last blog post: Retro iridescent butterfly mug

4. Diana commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 8:24pm

OH, I dream of having such a beautiful, organized art space! Less than a year and her house is already gorgeous. *sigh* :-)

Dianas last blog post: The Photography Files

5. Lasso the Moon commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Really gorgeous. Someday I will be minimalist.
    Anna

Lasso the Moons last blog post: Pan

6. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 8:53pm

So beautiful and so well organized…a lady after my own heart! Thank you for sharing Claire and Holly! Wonderful…..*sigh* I loooove home tours!
    xo
    Melissa

Melissa de la Fuentes last blog post: kindness

7. Claire commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 10:02pm

Whew! thanks for all the kind words Holly!

Claires last blog post: Anniversary post

8. karyn commented
    September 19th, 2008 at 11:38pm

it’s amazing to see claire’s gorgeous space here on decor8. she’s not only a talented & crafty lady with impeccable taste, but she’s sweet as can be.

karyns last blog post: MIXING SUMMER & FALL

9. Justine commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 12:05am

Love it! And she’s totally livin’ my dream — being a children’s book illustrator and quilting! :) Thanks for sharing.

10. Kelly commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 11:18am

What a beautiful look, so bright clean and restful! I want that box set now too! A pretty way for more organization on my desk. I also love the Ikea bookcases.

*note to self* remove the pyrex amish print mixing bowl from the “sell” pile…

11. blair commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 11:35am

claire’s home is gorgeous and so personal, I just love it!

blairs last blog post: yep, I made it

12. magikquilter commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 12:21pm

Hooray another quilter! Lovely peaceful home and good use of Ikea items.

magikquilters last blog post: Homage to Kaffe continued

13. Trina commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 5:56pm

Beautiful!!! Nice to see a fellow Canadian featured here on decor8! Very creative indeed !

Trinas last blog post: My Etsy Favorite of the week, Toronto?s own "A Touch of Vintage"

14. Catherine commented
    September 20th, 2008 at 10:02pm

So charming! Nice work, Claire! I’m all over that Ikea project.

Catherines last blog post: Amy Atlas: Sweet event planning

15. All Things Lovely commented
    September 21st, 2008 at 5:45am

Love the idea of covering the Ikea boxes with wallpaper. Might go and find me some sample wallpapers now!

16. simplygrove commented
    September 21st, 2008 at 8:20am

I love all of the great colors she uses:) lovely

simplygroves last blog post: Stuff

17. Maggie commented
    September 21st, 2008 at 11:27pm

The storage box and vintage tins are beautiful.

18. Lindsay commented
    September 22nd, 2008 at 3:00pm

Yipeeeee for a Toronto find!
    I’m actually drooling over her home.
    Thank you for sharing it Holly!

19. Dovely commented
    September 22nd, 2008 at 5:24pm

this home made me stop and catch my breath! so lovely and personal :) One of the reasons I love Holly and Decor8 so much is because the things featured here ARE so personal…. high design is okay I guess, but heartfelt and hand made holds more water for me!

Keep up the great work!

Dovelys last blog post: Branches as Hanging Center Pieces

20. Laura commented
    September 24th, 2008 at 9:26pm

Nice photos! I especially liked her kitchen and ikea hack.

Lauras last blog post: marcel wanders

21. Laura commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 10:23am

What a pretty home. Love the organization and how everything has a spot. I love to view how other people live. We all have our own style that make our homes unique. Thank you for share it with us.

Lauras last blog post: Too Cute Bag Party

22. Suz commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 12:24pm

oh my gosh, that gave me the inspiration i needed today, as i’m decluttering my home !!

Suzs last blog post: This is how I greet every morning !