Decorating Tips, Home Tours

Inspiring Canadian Home

September 19, 2008

I recently stumbled across the lovely home photos of freelance children’s book illustrator Claire Louise Milne on Flickr and asked her if she’d like to share her space on decor8. Lucky for us she said yes! Here’s a little peek at her darling abode in Toronto, Canada where she resides with her husband Bradley. In addition to photos, I asked her a few questions so that you could gain a little insight into what inspires her and where she finds her cool stuff. :)

Inspiring Canadian Home In this photo I’d like to not only highlight the lovely orange and purple combo, but the wood storage box from IKEA that Claire painted and added wallpaper to. I’m going to run to IKEA next week to buy one of these for my new kitchen to store my tea bags in. Love this idea — so creative!

How do you find time to decorate?

“It’s just over a year since we bought our first house, so there is still so much to do! Most of my projects tend to be driven by the same goal, to make a tiny house (1-bedroom) as light and airy as possible. I work at home (as an illustrator) which really helps because I putter around tidying when I’m procrastinating. Also because I’m a freelancer there are sometimes gaps between projects which gives me more time. Also our house is tiny which forces you to edit all the time because there’s just no room! I find it hard to concentrate on work when things are too cluttered around me.”

Inspiring Canadian Home Here’s a better view of Claire’s IKEA hack. :)

Inspiring Canadian Home I really like her craft studio, especially that glass cabinet with those fancy doors. She used wallpaper in similar cabinets to give them a bit of a transformation, which you will see in the next photo, but either way the cabinet looks lovely to me. Claire recently blogged about her craft studio in case you’d like to read more about it just click here.

Where do you find the things that you use in your home?

“I find a lot of things at flea markets, antique shops, craigslist or thrift shopping. Mainly because I love vintage or antique things. I also find lots of good basics at places like IKEA.”

Inspiring Canadian Home Here are her secretary desks with wallpaper inside. So pretty!

What are some of your favorite things in your home?

“I love my old singer sewing table which is actually a very practical way to have a dedicated sewing corner without taking up much space. Also the box you’ve seen was a very simple project but I loved the results.”

Inspiring Canadian Home This is one very organized lady!

What inspires your decorating projects?

“I’m inspired a lot by pictures in books and magazines. Whenever we’re starting a new decorating project I go through a big stack of books to get ideas. Also there are a few decor blogs I like too – such as decor8. :) I’m also addicted to decor programs on TV.”

Inspiring Canadian Home This is a really pretty view of her kitchen, I am LOVING the curtains with the tiny dots… I have a blouse like this that I think I wore every day this summer. :)

Inspiring Canadian Home Another kitchen view… Great gray walls I think.

Inspiring Canadian Home A collection of vintage tins for sewing supplies keeps things neat and pretty.

Inspiring Canadian Home More tins and stacks and stacks of fabrics for her quilts – yes she makes quilts too! I love this lady, she can quilt and draw. Some people have all the luck!

Inspiring Canadian Home Here’s a glimpse of her dining room with cabinets from IKEA (Liatorp bookcases to be precise).

Find Claire here: Flickr: Needle Book, her blog, professional portfolio, and a list of her published books.

Thanks Claire for visiting all of us today on decor8!

(images from claire louise milne)

You Might Also Like

22 Comments

• Reply Kami September 19, 2008 at 6:01 pm

sigh..a girl can dream, right? insanely gorgeous home, Claire! I love all the whites and organization! You’ve given me some great ideas for my own craft/creative corner that I’m trying to carve out in my new place. thank you for sharing your wonderful abode!

• Reply cindy k September 19, 2008 at 6:21 pm

ey caramba – claire’s home is so organized and just beautiful.

cindy ks last blog post: s/he : sweet heart

• Reply Christina @ Pardon My Vintage September 19, 2008 at 7:55 pm

I fell in love with her studio a few months ago through Flickr; I love that retro red tin! So nice to see the rest of her lovely home. :-)

Christina @ Pardon My Vintages last blog post: Retro iridescent butterfly mug

• Reply Diana September 19, 2008 at 8:24 pm

OH, I dream of having such a beautiful, organized art space! Less than a year and her house is already gorgeous. *sigh* :-)

Dianas last blog post: The Photography Files

• Reply Lasso the Moon September 19, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Really gorgeous. Someday I will be minimalist.
    Anna

Lasso the Moons last blog post: Pan

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 19, 2008 at 8:53 pm

So beautiful and so well organized…a lady after my own heart! Thank you for sharing Claire and Holly! Wonderful…..*sigh* I loooove home tours!
    xo
    Melissa

Melissa de la Fuentes last blog post: kindness

• Reply Claire September 19, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Whew! thanks for all the kind words Holly!

Claires last blog post: Anniversary post

• Reply karyn September 19, 2008 at 11:38 pm

it’s amazing to see claire’s gorgeous space here on decor8. she’s not only a talented & crafty lady with impeccable taste, but she’s sweet as can be.

karyns last blog post: MIXING SUMMER & FALL

• Reply Justine September 20, 2008 at 12:05 am

Love it! And she’s totally livin’ my dream — being a children’s book illustrator and quilting! :) Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Kelly September 20, 2008 at 11:18 am

What a beautiful look, so bright clean and restful! I want that box set now too! A pretty way for more organization on my desk. I also love the Ikea bookcases.

*note to self* remove the pyrex amish print mixing bowl from the “sell” pile…

• Reply blair September 20, 2008 at 11:35 am

claire’s home is gorgeous and so personal, I just love it!

blairs last blog post: yep, I made it

• Reply magikquilter September 20, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Hooray another quilter! Lovely peaceful home and good use of Ikea items.

magikquilters last blog post: Homage to Kaffe continued

• Reply Trina September 20, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Beautiful!!! Nice to see a fellow Canadian featured here on decor8! Very creative indeed !

Trinas last blog post: My Etsy Favorite of the week, Toronto?s own "A Touch of Vintage"

• Reply Catherine September 20, 2008 at 10:02 pm

So charming! Nice work, Claire! I’m all over that Ikea project.

Catherines last blog post: Amy Atlas: Sweet event planning

• Reply All Things Lovely September 21, 2008 at 5:45 am

Love the idea of covering the Ikea boxes with wallpaper. Might go and find me some sample wallpapers now!

• Reply simplygrove September 21, 2008 at 8:20 am

I love all of the great colors she uses:) lovely

simplygroves last blog post: Stuff

• Reply Maggie September 21, 2008 at 11:27 pm

The storage box and vintage tins are beautiful.

• Reply Lindsay September 22, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Yipeeeee for a Toronto find!
    I’m actually drooling over her home.
    Thank you for sharing it Holly!

• Reply Dovely September 22, 2008 at 5:24 pm

this home made me stop and catch my breath! so lovely and personal :) One of the reasons I love Holly and Decor8 so much is because the things featured here ARE so personal…. high design is okay I guess, but heartfelt and hand made holds more water for me!

Keep up the great work!

Dovelys last blog post: Branches as Hanging Center Pieces

• Reply Laura September 24, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Nice photos! I especially liked her kitchen and ikea hack.

Lauras last blog post: marcel wanders

• Reply Laura October 8, 2008 at 10:23 am

What a pretty home. Love the organization and how everything has a spot. I love to view how other people live. We all have our own style that make our homes unique. Thank you for share it with us.

Lauras last blog post: Too Cute Bag Party

• Reply Suz October 8, 2008 at 12:24 pm

oh my gosh, that gave me the inspiration i needed today, as i’m decluttering my home !!

Suzs last blog post: This is how I greet every morning !