Events + Markets, Objects, Shopping + Products, Travel

Fabric Market Love

September 22, 2008

If you ever need to pull yourself out of a creative rut, hit an outdoor fabric market (see bold text at the bottom of this post and then the comments section to find local markets in your area) like I did this weekend. I had one of those weekends, you know the kind… every twist and turn is eventful and fun and the housework doesn’t get done, dishes are stacked high, but at least you had a weekend to remember. Friday was busy, Saturday was amazing (more on the decor8/Dawanda event later!), and Sunday was spent here in Hannover with friends at an outdoor fabric market and then at a really gorgeous Autumn festival. Remember when I was in Amsterdam and how I told you about an textile market that I had stumbled upon by accident? I remember on the train ride back home how I was feeling a bit sorry for myself because I thought Hannover didn’t have something like this. I was WRONG. Here’s proof.

Fabric Market Love

Twice in the Spring and in the Fall all those amazing textile dealers come from the Netherlands to visit us here to share their wares and yesterday was their first Autumn show. I took a few photos to give you an idea of what I saw. In addition to dealers from Holland, many Germans were there with fabrics on bolts, ribbons, patterns, books, buttons, even Bernina had a tent with sewing machines! I didn’t see ANY Amy Butler or fabrics from Free Spirit so if anyone in Germany has these textiles I strongly encourage you to find out how you can be a vendor and come to Hannover to introduce these American designers to markets like this one because it was PACKED and everyone was going crazy shopping… No one sells Amy Butler or Free Spirit fabrics in this entire city so having access to them at this fabric market would be a great way for you to expand your business. They’d definitely be a hit.

Fabric Market Love

All of the fabrics are brand new, but unfortunately no one sold West African prints, Batiks, Indian prints, and nothing vintage. I would LOVE to see a vendor with batiks also take part and maybe even a few vintage textiles dealers if the fair owners allow it because I think the one thing the market lacked both in Amsterdam and in Hannover were ethnic prints, British textiles, and American designs (like Amy Butler). I did love that the market had tons of Tilda fabrics designed by Tone Finnanger from Finland (which I happily purchased, you can find them here). I blogged about one of Tone’s books last year in my post about books I found in Germany that I love, but I’d like to let you know that Tildas Hus is now in English in case you are interested). I also spotted loads of brightly colored felt, and some amazing buttons and trim. It was like a fabric and notions candyland! A total crack market for fabric junkies… I noticed many stumbling about with eyes glazed over in a bit of a trance like a true junky… drunk from the tactile and visual inspiration. I was in a bit of a daze myself after the first hour but I found some beautiful things and met a ton of great people so I’m very excited to know about this market and that I can hit it again in November. I have to add that I was so happy when Ingrid from YIPPIEYEAH! showed up to say hello. She was such an inspiration to me when I met her last year so seeing her again was so nice.

Fabric Market Love This is the booth (above) of Tipp Tapp Stoffe in Germany (they have an online shop), it was there that I met the friendly Anne (she has a blog called Gretelies) and purchased ribbons and an iron-on decal. I nearly fell down when she told me that she reads decor8. It was so random, I never expected her to know me. I think the world just keeps getting smaller and smaller through blogging, don’t you agree!?

Fabric Market LoveFabric Market LoveTwo of my friends trying to make a decision on some silk that they’ve fallen in love with.

I met the super sweet Nic from Luzia Pimpinella at the decor8/Dawanda event on Saturday (she gave a great talk about her personal journey as a blogger) and it was there that she gave me a charm for my purse that I immediately clipped to my bag. I was pysched to find some of her ribbon at this market. Here is the charm she gave me:

Fabric Market Love

Nic had told me that she also designs ribbons for a large company here in Germany, so when I was at the Hannover fabric market (technically called the Hannover Stoffmarkt) and found many them I was over the moon with happiness! If any fabric manufacturers or designers are reading this, you have to consider selling some of Nic’s trims in your shop because the world needs Nic! Her trims are delicious. Here is a sampling of some of them below. Not all that I’ve wrapped around this postcard are from Nic but at least half of them are, the rest are Estio Lindo ribbons by German textile company Stenzo (find Stenzo fabric for sale here). We are talking cuteness overload.

Fabric Market Love

Nic also has a wildly popular Dawanda shop where you can order her trims and handmade products online. I cannot wait to do some fun things with my new fabrics…

Fabric Market Love My cutesy batch of goodies… My favorite is the pure white ’embossed’ circle print beneath this stack (can you see it?). It’s absolutely gorgeous and reminds me of letterpress. :)

Fabric Market Love
The above silks were scooped up for home-related projects, a bit more grown up than the red and blue cuteness above. The top piece is vintage from Petra, a local designer who owns a shop and atelier here called Rani Pink. I visited her studio yesterday after the fabric market and purchased it from her, she has stacks and stacks of gorgeous ethnic textiles so if you see something you like in her shop just ask her, “How much!?” like I did and if she doesn’t already have it reserved for a customer it’s yours. Petra has an inspirational blog which I’ve just made the decor8 blog of the week starting today.

If you’d like to see more photos of this market, click here. My photos taken above were right at opening so few were present. If I had waited to take photos later, I would not have been able to because the aisles are so packed with people you can barely move. Tip: Arrive early like we did!

The next (and final) fabric market here in Hannover this year is the first Sunday in November. If you are local and would like to meet up with me there, just let me know. I’m always looking for shopping pals and to make more friends in Germany.

I’m curious to ask you… do you have fabric markets in your town and if so, can you link to them in the comments section below? I think it would really benefit readers to have this post as a resource for either when they travel to new cities or to simply learn about local markets. Thank you!

(images taken by holly becker for decor8)

22 Comments

• Reply Jesse September 22, 2008 at 9:12 am

Oh boy…an outdoor fabric market is just what I need to finally get going with the new appartment (well, we moved places in February but I barely had time to be creative yet…)…so yeah…with you saying so many good things about Hannover all the time, I guess I will try and hit the city in November then :)
    So glad you?re here in Germany Miss Holly and show us what?s possible with your awesome finds and links and recommendations…THANK YOU *hugs*

Jesses last blog post: "Songs that make me happy (wednes)day" Part 12

• Reply Kim September 22, 2008 at 9:41 am

OK, so I’m totally jealous that you live in Germany because it’s the home of Hilco Textiles (www.hilco.de), which you just can’t get in the U.S. It’s more of a fashion textile house, but they have great textiles for kids, and I’m sure you could use them for other things besides clothes. Ottobre Design Magazine always uses their stuff in their designs.

Kims last blog post: Stinky Dirty

• Reply nic September 22, 2008 at 10:08 am

it’s been so nice to meet you at berlin, holly!
    THANKS!

hey, you bought FARBENMIX ribbons and you bought it at ANNEs/GRETELIEs! i know her, too… she is so nice! :o)

farbenmix is this unique company i’m so glad to design for… and the last design in your ribbons row is one af a very dear friend of mine … MAIGA aka “paulap?”.

thank you again!

XO
    nic

• Reply nichole September 22, 2008 at 10:49 am

Oh wow. Gorgeous! I travel to Germany quite a bit, and I would love to attend an outdoor fabric market. Thanks for sharing!

nicholes last blog post: Infusion

• Reply magikquilter September 22, 2008 at 11:10 am

No its not fair we do not have outdoor fabric markets…and we have the weather for it too! I am so in awe of the organisational aspects of this event…incredible although I know that outdoor markets have been held for hundreds of years in Europe. Sigh. We here in [granted beautiful] Sydney can only imagine…and dream.

magikquilters last blog post: Homage to Kaffe continued

• Reply Alison September 22, 2008 at 11:18 am

We have a stoffenmarkt/lapjesmarkt here in Utrecht every Saturday morning until 1 p.m. on Breedstraat. Rain or shine, it’s always busy. I’ve found some really great fabrics there, including the one I used to make pillows for our big yellow sofa. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/92949075@N00/2722789546/in/set-72157605367443247/)

Alisons last blog post: Honden Toilet

• Reply Christine September 22, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Just wanted to correct one thing: Tone Finnanger was mentioned in this posts, and she is actually from Norway, not Finland.

• Reply VisuaLingual September 22, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Amazing! I wish I could sew…

VisuaLinguals last blog post: Vine Street Coasters

• Reply Juliane September 22, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Hi Holly, you can find lost of AMY BUTLER at quiltzauberei.de or charlottas.de
    and look here: http://www.stoffmarkt-holland.de/ go to tab TERMINE and you will find all dates the Stoffmarket will take place.

Greetings from busy blogger Juliane

Julianes last blog post: Die neue Herbstmode kommt

• Reply Petra :-) September 22, 2008 at 5:23 pm

WOW *kreisch* Thanks so much, Holly darling for picking me for your blog of the week…I still can?t believe it!!!
    I loved it so much to spent yesterday with you and my friends :-) I just posted something about the fantastic pink fabric and the funny pictures we?ve made yesterday….
    “still can?t believe….”
    Petra :-)

Petra :-)s last blog post: hot pink international :-)

• Reply Esra September 22, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Hi Holly,
    I really enjoyed to have fun with you and my friends. It was so funny to see the other people looking at us while we were giggling around…
    Warm regards :-)

Esras last blog post: Magnifience…

• Reply Vanessa September 22, 2008 at 7:42 pm

hi!
    I am an art history student and I’m super into textiles. I am applying for a grant to study and travel next year and this textile market would be a good place to stop. I read your post but I’m not sure the exact dates or when it would be next year and what cities. Can you give a little more info about how to track this down? Thanks

Vanessa

Vanessas last blog post: What a lovely stack. I need some to mix and match with my grey…

• Reply SoniaBonia September 23, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Hi Holly,
    This is my first time commenting but I’ve been reading for a while.
    If you ever get a chance to visit Maastricht in the Netherlands, they have a textile market every Wednesday morning. I studied in Maastricht for a while and I’m going back for my grad degree. Its a really beautiful city!

SoniaBonias last blog post: Rotting My Brain

• Reply Jenni September 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Oh my goodness those trims are so sweet. They would love so fun with all my Amy Butler fabrics I just adore!

Jennis last blog post: New Textured Paintings

• Reply Ana Cunha-Busch September 24, 2008 at 5:48 am

Hey, I am Ana from Hannover! I will be there, thaks for the information, I coudn?t imagine it?s so nice, when my friend told me. if you want we can contact. I don?t know how good is your german, but mine is mittle, rsrsr. I am brazilian, and I have big interest in textile. We can contact, I like your website very much! Danke f?r alles! Bisd bald!

• Reply Christiane September 24, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Hi, I am Christiane from the Ruhr district and Kirsty from Twolimeleaves send me this link of your great fabric post.
    Here we have a lot of fabric markets in the big towns, organized by the above mentioned organization.
    If you want to find Free Spirit and Amy Butler fabrics in Germany you just have to visit my online shop http://www.csquiltdesign.de.In November I will open my brickandmortar store in an old toy factory in the small town of Wetter- Volmarstein with a lot of lovely yarns and fabrics, classes for patchwork and knitting and a big sofa for guests.
    You’re welcome!

• Reply lilly December 5, 2008 at 3:01 am

That is amazing. ur effort is quit remark abale
    Regards
    Lilly

• Reply Lisa June 30, 2009 at 7:23 am

Hey, I am surprised for fashion textile houses in US , but they have. This very nice design with fabric collection.
    I have a lot of fabric markets in my town. If you want any Amy Butler fabrics in Germany you get it here.
    At long time all this Fabrics need its protection and treatments. I used fiber-seal products. So, get better results.

• Reply Kathy June 4, 2010 at 8:17 am

My husband and I went to Wiesbaden, Germany, the day of their Easter market. We happened upon an outdoor Stoffe (fabric) market. The pictures in this blog remind me of the market. There were rows and rows of fabric booths, and there were hundreds of trims and notions. There was also an outdoor food booth with tables and chairs.
    There is also an annual large indoor quilting and crafts show in Wiesbaden, which I went to earlier this year. They had a couple floors and several rooms of vendors. The outdoor market had many dealers from Holland. The indoor show had dealers from all over Europe, including Scandinavia. I could have spent hours shopping at each show. There were fabrics from many countries, including the US. I’m not sure how to know in advance about these markets and shows, but some of the comments give information on finding them.

• Reply Lori Hamblin May 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I am here in Hannover tomorrow only and would like to find a fun place to buy fabric, any suggestions?

• Reply decor8 May 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm

@Lori – Go to Dear Lilly off of the Lister Meile – you will love it. Then go next door to Kneipe for coffee and something sweet, and next door to that to Kiwi for sweet home stuff and clothing.
      From there, walk diagonally over Lister Miele to the home store near Going bakery – I cannot recall the name of it now but it’s great. For more fabrics, go over to Linden and go to Limetrees, Bianca
      has lots of fabrics and notions. But start at Dear Lilly, you will love me for this tip!!!