Happy Monday!

Good morning! I hope you all had a good weekend and were able to fit in some home-related projects like I did. I always feel so much better going into a new week when I had a weekend that I consider productive, don’t you? I had a good balance this weekend — a little work, a little play, moved some furniture around, entertained guests, went to an outdoor festival, and then… a surprise present from my husband. It was the cutest thing, he disappeared to go buy some ‘trash bags’ at the grocery store and returned with a brand new sewing machine for me! I heard him struggling to open the door with his keys so I went into the hallway to help him and noticed his red face and that one was hand tucked behind his back. I thought to my myself, “Oh how cute, he brought me flowers!”, so I started to grin and he looked at me and said, “I’m sorry mausy but the store didn’t have the bags you were looking for so I got this instead”, and he handed me a box with a picture of a white AEG sewing machine on it! I nearly died. This of course made my weekend because we’ve been so busy over the past 6 weeks getting our apartment here together, traveling, seeing family and old friends, etc. that I haven’t had much time to sew and he knows that this has bothered me. It’s nice when someone you care about so much takes such a personal interest, isn’t it?
Outside of the sewing machine, my 1940′s buffet (purchased on eBay from a seller in southern Germany) arrived yesterday and I am completely smitten by it. I genuinely love it. You can see some photos here if you’d like. I’ve been wanting one for ages but these Jugendstil style pieces are hard to come by and when you do find them, they are normally very expensive. I paid around $450 for mine (and $300 for delivery – I know, meep!) but it’s perfect and in excellent condition so I’m happy.

Guess what? You know how I’ve often complained about the lack of fun paper products here in Germany? (A Paper Source or a See Jane Work type of store doesn’t really exist here.) Well I went to this chain store on Saturday called McPaper expecting nothing other than the typical conservative red, blue, or gray solid color notebooks or ugly fruity notebooks (see their website to catch a peek of what the average stationery shop looks like here)… But what do you know, I found a few nice things from Herlitz (another boring paper company so I was surprised to see some of their new designs), a 2009 from teNeues designed by Hanna Werning, and a folksy blue spiral bound notebook from a company called Pip Studio. Yay! Trust me, this is progress. I hope to see more of this stuff on the shelves in paper stores, office supplies do not have to be boring. It’s very much how 1980′s America was, but just as things changed in the states and now even large companies have been forced to jazz up their collection due to demand. But enough about paper…

So… what did you do over the weekend?

(images taken by holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in stationery on September 29, 2008

1. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 9:35am

Well, first of all…I am deeply smitten by your buffet! It is gorgeous and greatly appeals to my organizing nature! What a sweet thing for your hubby to do! Just lovely when those things happen….what a good guy! We dashed from here to there this weekend, a trip to the doctor, a party for a friend, and dinner with the lovely Marichelle(and her guy, Jonathan) who moved to town on Saturday. So, it was a good weekend all in all despite the gloomy, humid weather! I thought it was supposed to be fall?!
    xo
    Melissa

Melissa de la Fuentes last blog post: Ellie

2. Ellen Crimi-Trent commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 9:40am

Hi Holly,

You are lucky you are not here in New England right now or you might just have to break out the rain boots. It was raining hard all weekend here, so not much fun. We clean out the house, took the kiddies to the movies and tried to avoid a flood!

I am back to trying to create some fun new Holiday designs for paper and flags at the moment. I love these books you found, they have very fun, bright designs on them.

Okay enough procrastinating back to work! Happy Monday!

Ellen Crimi-Trents last blog post: IF- Packed

3. Noelle commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 9:40am

What a fun surprise from your husband!

Not a very exciting weekend here…cleaned up the yard, painted outside window trim, did laundry and watched a little football.

Noelles last blog post: New – Stovetopics Recipe Card Collection – A Baker's Dozen Part 2

4. Luphia commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 9:44am

they’re beautiful!

Luphias last blog post: Vintage Coasters

5. nichole commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:03am

What a lovely surprise! Your husband sounds a lot like my husband when it comes to surprises.

Great paper finds!

nicholes last blog post: Dear Mrs. French:

6. Epp commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:04am

Cute stationery, and I absolutely love your Schrank (admired it already on Haus Maus), great find!
    We spent our Sunday doing serious demolition work, removing the hideous grey tiles in the kitchen area in our newly bought flat in Frankfurt/Main. Tomorrow the new parquette will be delivered (ash wood by the Swedish company K?hrs), and I’m super excited, and anxious to get it on the floor a.s.a.p. I’m sure it will look great and make my soul, and soles, happy! :-)

Thanks for the decorating inspiration and great source of online shops. I follow both of your blogs closely.

Greetings from Frankfurt am Main!

Epps last blog post: Something small for a change

7. Diana commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:08am

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend! Mine involved IKEA, so you can’t really go wrong with that. I am making progress towards my perfect creative space!

I’ve been meaning to pick up some pretty notebooks to write my daily “to do” lists in – you’ve inspired me to get on that! :-)

Dianas last blog post: Team Sunday

8. Dovely commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:10am

it was my birthday! i’m 24 now :)

Dovelys last blog post: Fall Etsy Roundup, Part Two

9. Kate F commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:10am

We actually did have a productive weekend! (I’m in looove with your new cabinet and kitchen; it’s looking great)
    -Got all of my drawing class homework done
    -Tallied the family photos for a gallery we’re making in our long hallway and figured out the frames we’ll need; got a couple frames and put up the first couple photos
    -Put two coats of stain on the first of my set of 4 vintage chairs that I got at Brimfield and am restoring (click my name to see the befores on my blog!)

Kate Fs last blog post: Further Up and Further In

10. Stacy commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:11am

We bought a desk at Goodwill and are in the process of stripping it to refab into something marvelous! Wouldn’t have ever done anything like that without such great inspiration from fab bloggers like you!

Stacys last blog post: Adventures in Desk Refinishing 1

11. Madelyn @ Southern Weddings commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:26am

These notebooks and paper goods are fantastic and oh so inspiring. I always have to buy various paper goods and notebooks that are colorful and inspiring even if I don’t need them. I love the patterns on these! So Fabulous!

Madelyn @ Southern Weddingss last blog post: Details: Julie + Jeff, Part II

12. missmilki commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:32am

aaaw – your husband is so sweet! I hope I find a man like that some day! :)

missmilkis last blog post: Hiding Under the Stairs

13. Jennemmy commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:48am

I wonder if you are missing the great little paper stores I found in Germany. We lived in a very small town but traveled quite a bit to Wurzberg, Frankfurt and so on. I remember the little stationary stores scattered all over. It was my first exposure to gorgeous paper. And the first time I had seen a gift wrapped using just one piece of tape. Which made my mouth drop. It has been a few years but I will ask my hubby which our favorite little shopping spots were and pass them along. One other suggestion. Go to Poland and do some pottery shopping. As any Army wife will tell you, a scary trip to Poland along unmarked roads will result in beautiful handcrafted pottery. Most of the women bought vibrant patterns but I was drawn to the unfinished looking sculpted pieces. We did this in a small town in Italy as well.

14. Ann commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:56am

I can’t wait to see some of your sewing projects now!

We discovered a short time ago that we will not be moving overseas this year. So, we decided to really work on the house to make sure our space is more of a home. We’re also decluttering so when we do move we don’t move stuff that we never use. Thanks to the beautiful weather, we were really motivated to do this. I brought some furniture cushions and feather blankets outside to air out, while my husband cleaned up some of the trees on our property. I took some old wicker tables I had outside and spray painted them white. Because I did this in the grass, the legs of the table weren’t painted so I decided to go back and paint the bottom to look like grass… or something.

I helped my husband clean out his office. We redid the window treatment in our living room. It’s been the same embarrassing thing since we moved here 3 years ago. We have the beautiful blinds, but only ever installed one instead of both. They are now both up! Yay! Then we changed the curtains with the ones that were in the bedroom. That looks a million times better. Each space now makes sense and the bedroom has a much better feel that is inspiring.

A drawer in our kitchen has been broken for the past 1.5 years or so. We were going to just redo the whole kitchen but a light went off in my head and we decided to just fix the drawer. It now closes. It’s so silly that we thought completely redoing our kitchen (with a new sink, counters, everything) was the logical fix for our broken drawer until this weekend.

I made brownies from scratch and we went out for a nice lunch/brunch yesterday.

Anns last blog post:

15. Melissa H commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 11:12am

We worked on our kitchen. Turns out our Pottery Barn shelves hit one stud but not the other, so we had to use drywall anchors. I felt so anxious about that but overall it’s looking okay. After hanging 3 of those and an IKEA shelf (more wall anchors!) above our counterspace, installing an ipod speaker system, and hanging my “Entertaining with Gene Kelly” ad, it looks amazing! Now once the paint hits the walls, it’s really going to transform. Even my hubby said, “Wow, the kitchen looks great now!” (He didn’t think the shelves would make a difference).

16. Trina commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 11:56am

Aren’t husbands the BEST !!! My husband Paul was a good sport as he tagged along with me to Canada’s first Crate & Barrel store, here in Toronto. We were finally able to agree on a new sofa, ottoman, wall unit, desk, dining set, and so much more. We havn’t bought anything yet, we’re waiting until we move into a larger place in Januray, but I can’t wait!

I’ve just started an inspiration board for our new living room, West Elm is opening here in October as well, so of course i’m addind pieces from there as well. I’m totally estatic!!! It’s 2 dreams coming true in 1 month!

Trinas last blog post: AT house tour – PINK !!!

17. Shanon commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 3:04pm

Awwwh, what a sweetie your hubs is to surprise you with a sewing machine. =) I agree with you, Holly, about having a productive weekend. It makes me feel good knowing that I got something done.

What did I do this past weekend?
    Well, things around the house had to wait because we were out of town for a family wedding. Since it was in the country, I spent a warm morning taking photos. Then I spent the evening with a glass of wine, laughing, chatting, and dancing. I also spent the majority of the weekend wondering when my sister-in-law would go into labor! She hasn’t yet, but SOON. Oooh, the anticipation!

Shanons last blog post: Front & Back

18. Iris commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 5:42pm

Thanks a lot for your paper album recommendations. I just told my husband a few days ago it is a real pity that we don?t have such nice stationaries here in Germany like you have in America. I love the special heavy quality of the american paper cards since I was a child. My aunt moved in the seventies years from Berlin to Michigan (she had fallen in love with an american young man) and sent to me each year to my birthday a beautiful Hallmark card! Sometimes there were embossed printings and sparkeling golden letters on it, friendly animals dancing around a birthday cake or something like that! Impossible for Germany in those years. We only had here those horrible flat plastic-alike cards. Later on I got to know my husband. He surprised me on my first birthday together with him with an American paper card he brought from a trip to New York for special occasions! So if you get to know more about nice paper shops in Germany I think there will be many readers who like to hear about it.

19. Rowan commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 8:25pm

I was sick over the weekend, but still inspired thanks to good blogs. I’m enjoying your exploration of German stores. And what a nice surprise present to get!

20. Nancy Hanke commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 11:40pm

Never feel like you have to stop talking about paper! I’m a paper addict so I can only imagine how hard it would be to find yourself in a place with nowhere to buy any. Good thing you kept looking! It looks like you found some fun things.

My weekend consisted of making craft projects – with paper – some laundry and house cleaning, and then more craft projects!

Nancy Hankes last blog post: Call me Toby . . .

21. kanika commented
    September 30th, 2008 at 12:00am

Oh I remember this Heimtex fair I went to once (frankfurt am main). I think it was the last day of the fair or so, and one after the other I saw women carrying really funky (like your notebook) carry bags (almost like totes) from PIP Studio. It was great advertising and the bags were just so bright and eye catching that I couldn’t resist. it was a fun trail to locate the source of the free bags!
    This weekend I worked on my new Sari layout and finally got the fabric back from the dyers!

kanikas last blog post: the life and times of a sari

22. Keren commented
    September 30th, 2008 at 8:46am

These are looking great!!

Wet weekend here. We used the time for shopping and trying to entetain our son at the children museum in Jersey.

Kerens last blog post: Make it Pop With John Clarke.

23. hope commented
    September 30th, 2008 at 8:04pm

I am so in love with Pip Studio – and I can not find a single USA outlet to purchase!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks