LaNui Bedding & Etc.

I almost forgot to tell you about another fun thing that I did over the weekend — I attended a grand opening reception at a new home design store here in Hannover called Sommerfugl (butterfly in Danish) Raumkultur. For the locals you have to check it out, it’s around the corner from Noa Noa at Wedekindstra?e 2. Owed by Daniela Thaul, I had the pleasure of speaking with her and her business partner and both were extremely kind and genuine (and spoke fluent English). I found these bowls and a lovely tea box along with some gray candles and a great pillow… the pillow is from LaNui – a company I’ve never seen blogged before so here’s their design blog premiere – ha ha! :)

Sommerfugl is a beautiful shop with a focus on Scandinavian design, they primarily stock Villa Collection out of Denmark along with a few products lines I’d not heard of before, one being a new German design firm owned by Valerie P?tzl called LaNui of Hamburg. I immediately scooped up a pillow cover as I fell in love with the insect pattern called Grasswhisperer. It’s so soft and the quality is lovely, I adore the green satin piping. When I went home to check out LaNui’s website I was pleased to learn that they carry bedding to match. If you like LaNui you can also shop them here online.

This skull embroidered bed cover is really cute.
The swallow embroidery on this striped cover is unexpected and pretty.

I really like the quality of their bedding and their attention to detail along with the gorgeous embroidery gives a craft most associate with grandma a fresh, modern edge. I’d love to see more companies like this rising up out of Germany — I think the potential is definitely here but most move out of Germany to pursue design careers in countries like England and America instead. There are many creative people here though which is why I get excited whenever I come across companies like LaNui!

(top 3 images taken by holly becker for decor8. all others from LaNui)

Posted by decor8 in bedroom, textiles, travel on September 29, 2008

1. VisuaLingual commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:44am

Thanks so much for sharing these photos. All this goes beyond stereotypical Scandinavian design. It’s lovely!

VisuaLinguals last blog post: Vine Street Coasters

2. Christine commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 10:44am

The pink and green bedding is AMAZING! Every store that you talk about, I wish we had here in the U.S.!!

Christines last blog post: Heading to Boston

3. aprilkastanie commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 12:50pm

Thank you for showing us this GREAT company!! I have lived in northern europe already and I love scandinavian designs VERY much:o)
    I’m reading your blog for a long time now and I think it is amazing!! I love the designer and pictures you share with us!! So thank you very much!!! (I’m a big “fan” ;o) )
    aprilkastanie
    (please excuse my horrable english!!) :)

4. Fifi Flowers commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 12:55pm

LOVE those bowls!

5. julieann commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 3:44pm

I am in love with those black and white bowls, they look very sturdy! The little rabbit crib set is darling, we need more interesting childrens bedding options! thanks for the great find

julieanns last blog post: Just Say It

6. simplygrove commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 4:24pm

All of there bedding is fabulous:) I agree, so much detail.

simplygroves last blog post: Lovely Jeanine

7. tracy k commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 8:11pm

wow, so pretty!

tracy ks last blog post: what does this city have to offer me?

8. Caroline - Patagonia Gifts commented
    September 29th, 2008 at 9:27pm

Oh God! I love love love so much those black and white bowls! They are so so gorgeous! Beautiful stuff as usual!

Caroline – Patagonia Giftss last blog post: Fall Chic Necklace

9. mrs. french commented
    September 30th, 2008 at 12:10am

i love everything here.

mrs. frenchs last blog post: I heart Monday.

10. magikquilter commented
    October 1st, 2008 at 3:13am

Thankyou for showing everyone such beautifully made and glorious homewares. I love the crispness of the prints and my favourite is the cot set! Another shop to bookmark for my non crafting friends!

magikquilters last blog post: Daddy?s Girl by Lisa Scottoline

11. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 10:48am

beautiful bedding – can’t decided which one I like the best!

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Design – Light Fixtures