Decorating Updates

I had a really successful Sunday on eBay Germany, look what I found for my living room and kitchen! I’m over the moon happy and just had to share these finds with you today. First up, this retro light.

This light is an original from the 1950s in pastel green and gold and I won the auction at $281.00. It was quite a battle to win it as I was up against 19 aggressive bidders. It was a little over my budget but since my pendant light in the same room is from IKEA and I paid under $5 for it, I was able to justify the expense of the floor lamp. And hey, it’s vintage, it’s cute, and I’ve been combing the internet for something just like this for several months so it is money well spent.

The next item that I won is a Max Bill Bauhaus Design clock and kitchen timer all-in-one. It’s white and I really like the design. It was $50.00 so definitely a good buy. I think it will look perfect in my kitchen.

I was also able to put some art up over the weekend, here are some prints I’ve placed above my television. They all came with me on the plane from New Hampshire, they look nice here in Germany I think. Everyone that visits me is amazed by this art as it’s rare to find anything like this here where I live. It’s fun to see the reactions of my friends and family who are all wanting their own prints and paintings now from independent artists. I added my vintage 1930′s gold swallows to the wall as well. The idea was to make the art look at though it was flying and floating away. The birds also came with me in my luggage, I picked them up 4 years ago at a New Hampshire flea market for $1 or something like that – el cheapo! You can find them all over sites like eBay in case this arrangement inspires you to do something like it in your own home (here’s a cute pair of pink ones or some love birds). I’m considering adding one more small print to the top left closer to the ceiling but have yet to decide which one.

Now I’m on the prowl for another item I badly need for my living/dining room – a vintage Kilim rug. I’m dying for something along these lines… Also for the bedroom.

Have you had any successful eBay wins lately? Care to share? You can link to photos of your eBay wins in the comments section below if you’d like. We’d all love to see. :)

(images from eBay and holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, Decorating Tips, vintage, walls on October 06, 2008

1. Trina commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 9:39am

That is an absolutely gorgeous lamp Holly! It reminds me of one my aunt-in-law has in her spare bedroom that i’m trying to have her sell or (bonus) “gift” to me.

It’s rare to find working vintage lamps these days. I hope this one works and you don’t have to have it re-wired.

Gorgeous kilim’s as well, I find it interesting that they all have this very pretty rose/pinkish hue to them, which makes them very pretty. Unexpected I think. :-)

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 9:51am

Wow! That lamp is fantastic! I love it and LOVE what you have done in your home, Holly. It is just beautiful….your idea for having the art soar up and away is such a wonderful one. Those rugs are great too and I definitely think you need a few! ;)
    xo
    Melissa

3. Christine commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 10:01am

I LOVE the way you arranged your pictures over your t.v. I especially like the three little birds! Your place is really coming together. What a great feeling that must be!

Christines last blog post: Time for a Change

4. Sarah commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 10:33am

I’m also on the hunt for a vintage Kilim rug (or new if I can find a reasonable price!) If you find a site please let us know!

5. Sarah commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 10:39am

I am also on the hunt for a Kilim rug. If you find a great site for new or vintage please let us know!

Thanks!

Sarahs last blog post: Necklaces

6. Alpha Shanahan commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 11:16am

hello holly,
    i have wanted to send you a little gift but don’t know where to send it to. just
    a little gesture of thanks for being so inspiring!

Alpha Shanahans last blog post: little drawings

7. Glenda J commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 1:00pm

I just won a B.Guy litho for $99 framed on Ebay–the shipping was a bit steep ($108) but the print is easily worth $300 so I’m ahead! This is the ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330269464370

8. Michelle commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 1:36pm

What you were attempting to achieve with your art arrangement is totally effective. I got the floating/flying away feeling when I looked at before I read that was what you were actually going for. I totally lack the skill of the asymmetrical art arrangement (my brain always wants things to be symmetrical, must be the scientist thing) so this picture is definitely going in my inspiration file.

Michelles last blog post: A Blogtroduction

9. Orange Pattern commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 4:06pm

That lamp is sick!!!!!!!

Orange Patterns last blog post: Today’s trifecta

10. Cara commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 4:54pm

Ooh, I love those Kilims you posted; I’ve been on the search for one for my living room, but I don’t know where to find them in the colorway I want. I adore the look of those predominantly pink, pastely ones, but I feel like I only ever see them in pictures of people’s homes or in businesses that I don’t really have access to. They never seem to be on ebay (at least, when I’m searching). Argh! ;) Good luck on your own hunt and I’m seconding the poster above who requested that you keep us informed if you find a great web source.

11. Coco commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 5:19pm

I love your artwork! My boyfriend would never aprove to nail these on ‘his’ clean white walls. :( Hope you find your kilim soon – like the first one in this post.

12. Rona commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 5:31pm

That lamp is a total score. My jaws dropped when I scrolled down to it. Congrats!

13. Grace@PoeticHome commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 5:42pm

What a divine lamp! I LOVE what you did with your entertainment center area. With the great artwork and whimsical birds, along with the white TV and stand, it melds together beautifully. I always find it hard to conceal the TV, and what you have done is very inspirational.

Grace@PoeticHomes last blog post: Changing of the tides?

14. JENNIFER RAMOS commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 6:46pm

Hello Holly, WOW…Your place is looking so pretty!!!! Did you buy that tv stand unit at IKEA???
    Hope you’re well! P.S. Please email me your address…thanks!

Jen Ramos
    ’100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

JENNIFER RAMOSs last blog post: New York Times Sweeeet Real Estate…

15. Lynne commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 6:56pm

Here’s my latest find; an oil painting of a swallow. I paid way too much for it.

What can I say? It just spoke to me…

Lynnes last blog post: A New York state of mind

16. Amanda commented
    October 6th, 2008 at 11:51pm

I won this beautiful vintage double wedding ring quilt throw. I think that its inherent gramma-ness is balanced by my modern couch.

Amandas last blog post: Month is turning.

17. Lottie commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 10:08am

There’s an ebay seller who specialises in Kilim rugs:

We bought a really sweet one with camels on for our son’s nursery.

Lotties last blog post: A letter to my 13-month-old son

18. Jessica Boudreaux commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 11:16am

I love that vintage clock/timer. It’s a great piece for a great price. I love your style aestheitic! I have that same tv unit from ikea and I’m planning on getting the white samsung as well. In front I have an old Indian rug (as opposed to Kilim). And here is a great/cheap style tip for all: I have lots of old black and white photography that I’ve been printing on canvas (extra large) to decorate my walls. You can do the same with old family photos and crop them in interesting ways on your computer before printing.

19. lush commented
    October 13th, 2008 at 12:46pm

here’s a chair i recently won. though i can’t recommend the seller (at one point, i thought i may never get the chair), i’m just glad it’s finally here! eventually, i plan to recover it, but for now the “makeshift slipcover”, which is actually a tablecloth with sequins at the bottom, which you can’t see, will have to do!

20. melissa commented
    October 13th, 2008 at 7:28pm

hi holly! I love your ebay finds – you’re such an inspiration! as for the kilim rugs, I have been searching for the perfect one recently too and stumbled on these. Kind of random stores, I know… but they are pretty cool :) Good luck to you!

this one isn’t a kilim, but the design is turkish in feel and you can customize the colors! http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Quesada_Custom_Area_Rug/240/

and here are my recent ebay finds:

this is a bit different style-wise than the ones you were looking at, but I really love this one and I think that it would look SO nice in your place!

21. vintageyard.sb@gmail.com commented
    September 22nd, 2009 at 12:42am

I think we all hold onto something that reminds us of the past. An old trinket, an old photograph, your grandmother’s jewellery.