Etsy Take Five Tuesday

Hello and welcome to another Take Five Tuesday. Sheesh that sounded so boring. Let me try that again. Hey there and welcome to another installation of Take Five Tuesday where I nudge you over to the fabulousness that exists on Etsy. Better? Nah. How ’bout I just show you the goods! This week we have darling deer, cutie bags, little dolls, pretty rings, and a mini game for you (see the last etsy seller featured and play along!) — I hope that you enjoy my picks this week!

We Dream In Color is beyond beautiful. This jewelry artist makes me want to spend money I don’t have. I must comment on the prices of these pieces – GREAT. I mean you’d pay much more at some of our favorite chain stores for jewelry like this and I’m willing to guess it’s all made in china. These works are made by Jade Gedeon and Jade is one talented lady! Drool fest…

I can’t get enough of cute little bags for all the strangeness floating around in my massive tote. Sometimes I open it and pull out the oddest finds! I won’t go into detail on some of them, but you must do the same and wonder, “What the… where did THAT come from?”. Today I found a $10 bill and I honestly have no clue how that showed up because I haven’t seen or touched American currency since the end of July. That is why a girl like me needs little bags in my purse. I have one for lipgloss and a mirror, another for my train pass and keys, and another for coins. I also have a little bag for aspirin, gum, and mints. :) If you are a bag lady like me, you may like Pocket Carnival. Good name for a shop that sells bags, so if there’s a carnival in YOUR pocket(book) too, well you can easily manage the chaos with sweet hand illustrated bags. Darling!

Fatty deMonsey is her name and producing cute things for tea time is her game. And show of hands, who doesn’t need a mug with a reminder like this along with a darling doe? “Every day I realise just how important my attitude is. No matter what happens in life, the way I approach each situation is the most important part of it. I can’t change the actions or words of others, but I can make a choice about my own attitude. My mind is the most valuable asset I have. Come rain, hail or shine, it’s more valuable than money, land, career, looks, skills or any other attribute or item you care to think of, and using it well should be the most important part of any education program. Life may be too short, but it’s just too long to have a bad attitude when a good one can improve everything I do and every interaction I have. 90% of my life is how well I use my mind. Be brave, life is a joyous and wonderous thing.”

Amen sista.

Or this reminder, “Downsize, simplify, spend more time with the people you care about… Buy less stuff, it brings such a short lived joy. Sit by the river and enjoy your favourite drink with a real friend or in peace on your own. Live your life to the full.” I’ll drink to that. After I buy the mug, that is. Then I shall simplify…

Ravenhill just may be the cutest shop in the whole wide world of Etsy. In fact it’s so cute lets have a drinking game. When I say cute you drink something yummy. This Oslo artist makes THE sweetest cutest dolls (drink). You have to look at her cute shop (guzzle) and click on all of the cute dolls (slurp) and see the cute images (gulp) that she’s uploaded to accompany each. So many sweet and cute detailed photos (drink), I like it so much. If you don’t have babies (or friends with kids) you will want get baby pangs looking through her cute shop (chug) I swear it. :) Her blog is just as sweet as her shop and can be found here. This doll set is called, “Babies in a basket in need of a good mommy or daddy”. Is your heart going to burst from the cuteness (drink)? We all want to be the mommy of those wee little softies!

Sean Morris is Bad Hair Mountain (I’m dying to know what that names all about but part of me is a bit scared to learn), a twenty something illustrator from Western Australia and I don’t have anything insightful to say really, I just like his work. I mean it’s simple, clean, and this particular print gives the imagination a chance to soar. You can look at it and build an entire story around the character he has drawn. It’s fun, try it. Here’s Meds above. I’m thinking she is playing with meds as in medication. Maybe mommy is on some, or perhaps she found these in the playground. What story can you build around this piece? I’d love to hear what Meds means to you… Do tell!

(images linked to artists featured above)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on October 07, 2008

1. Diana commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 6:24pm

Great finds as always, Holly! Those earrings are begging to go on my birthday list :-)

I think you’re right as to the last image – meds = medication. I know I’ve been alarmed with how many children are diagnosed with psychological “disorders” and medicated in our country (can a 6 year old really be bipolar?). Maybe there’s a similar thing going on in Australia? Or maybe a parent OD’d – the child is so alone in that image. Seems kind of dark, but beautiful artwork!

Dianas last blog post: To boldly go…where I haven’t gone before

2. detour2mode commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 7:00pm

how cute! i love your taste and that’s a very good choice

detour2modes last blog post: La Wifilles ?dition 4

3. kelly commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 7:15pm

I love Ravenhill! Not only does she make the cutest dolls, but she’s a really sweet person.

kellys last blog post: toasthead brooch

4. kelly commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 7:16pm

p.s. (drink)

kellys last blog post: toasthead brooch

5. ruth commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 8:35pm

Awesome!

I always love your etsy finds!

Meds = medication. at leas that’s how we use it here.

ruths last blog post: VACATION!

6. Leigh commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 8:56pm

I just love those dolls!! And I will also drink to the spend more time with those we love.

Wonderful finds as always. I think this year I am going to have an Etsy Christmas, try to only get gifts for my loved ones from there. Just thought of that, fabulous.:)

Leighs last blog post: "Cherry Blossom Girl" Painting

7. Maggie commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 10:21pm

I’m not sure how I arrived here, but I found you a few weeks ago and you will be single handedly responsible for members of my family receiving actual PRESENTS this year, instead of just giftcards, thank you!!!!

Maggies last blog post: Trying to gain perspective

8. Carrie commented
    October 7th, 2008 at 11:39pm

ok, that Athena ring from We Dream in Colour has me verklempt, i’m speechless, it’s amazingly gorgeously fabulous.

Carries last blog post: inspired travel diaries – volume 1

9. Nancy Hanke commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 12:25am

Look at the variety of things you can find on Etsy! I could easily spend all day just checking out the shops. Great finds!

Nancy Hankes last blog post: Fall in Minnesota

10. Frans?sa commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 5:22am

Oh, adorable! I love the ring from WeDreamInColour. Thank you for all the tips!

Frans?sas last blog post: Finally in production -Gallery by Anna Irinarchos

11. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 6:34am

Love Etsy and these are good finds – thanks!

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Photo of the Day – 10/8/08

12. Joanna (hostessjo.com) commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 8:44am

The jewelry is so beautiful! Especially the ring! Thanks for sharing…

13. Tracy commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 9:22am

That jewelry is gorgeous! I’m going to visit their shop right now (not that I can spend but I can windowshop for the holidays!)

Tracys last blog post: SQUIRREL Miniature – Teeny Tiny Fused Glass Pendant

14. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 9:44am

Oh! This is my most favorite “etsy finds” of yours to date! They are always so wonderful but, this one has my heartracing…..that jewelry, those bags, that little dear….oh my! Thank you and I am off to check them all out!
    xo
    Melissa

15. nichole commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 10:12am

Gasp! We Dream in Color’s jewelry is amazing. Love, love it. Thanks for this etsy round-up.

nicholes last blog post: K Studio

16. VisuaLingual commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 12:00pm

Wow, these artists are all so inspiring! I especially love the tea accessories by Fatty deMonsey.

VisuaLinguals last blog post: Vine Street Coasters

17. karlita commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 2:33pm

I’m the proud owner of one of the Ravenhill dolls and they are just gorgeous!!!!

karlitas last blog post: Time to buy some famous designers fabric ( stocksales )

18. Sue commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 2:34pm

Medication is definately what comes to my mind when I hear the word meds, but such a beautiful drawing gives off a much nicer image to me of a little girl feeding the birds, maybe I just live in a fairytale world and try not to see whats really going on out there….I prefer it that way, keep behind my rose tinted glasses!!!

Sues last blog post: Blue Circles card

19. ingermaaike commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 2:38pm

These are the most amazing finds, luckily is was not wine I was guzzeling with the sublime cuteness of those dolls by Raven!

ingermaaikes last blog post: The making of a chantarelle

20. Leina commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Great finds! I really really admire Ravenhill?s creation, this is not only cute but has this “magic something”…

Leinas last blog post: Must ja valge/ Black&White&Minimalistic

21. Devi commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 2:45pm

Lovely finds! Those earrings… mmmhhhh and Emily’s baby dolls….aaahhh…
    Med is a lovely print. I think, Med is simply her name, since she was born in Medina ;)

Devis last blog post: sorting

22. Lasso the Moon commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 2:48pm

These are great finds. And you are not the only one with the need for little bags. I use them for organizing receipts, too.
    Anna

Lasso the Moons last blog post: Babies everywhere!

23. Paunchiness commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Nice list of stuff. I think I may buy some of that jewelry for my wife.

Paunchinesss last blog post: Movin? On Up

24. Kim commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 3:07pm

Speaking of chain stores, Urban Outfitters actually carries We Dream in Color jewelry. (Not that that makes it any less beautiful!)

Kims last blog post: Blueberry Boat Brooch

25. panyizsuzsi commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 3:19pm

Ravenhill is really a great artist. I am so glad, you featured her Holly!

panyizsuzsis last blog post: Contemporary Glass Jewelry 3…2…1… start!

26. AndresM commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Here’s what I see in Meds.
    This little girl was taken to the beach with her mom, who happens to be addicted to Valium. Her mom loves to take the pills and pass out to the sound of the waves while her daughter plays in the sand next to her. Her daughter finds the pill and begins playing with them in the sand imagining they are little children at the beach. She imagines they are brothers and sisters of hers. Then she feeds them to those seagulls and watches them fly away.

that was fun! You were right!

AndresMs last blog post: Capsule SF!

27. DecorPad commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 6:05pm

Love these! Beautiful!

28. collette commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 8:03pm

i am such a “compartmentalizer” (is that even a word?) or bag lady as you said. i love all my wee little pouches for all my doo-dads. i like knowing exactly where to go to to find something. the name pocket carnival, well pure genius i think. so clever.
    yay to the western aussie you featured!

collettes last blog post: knitting 101

29. Jennifer commented
    October 8th, 2008 at 9:15pm

Oooh, nummy yummy!

Jennifers last blog post: Oh Soooo Busy

30. magikquilter commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:05am

I think she is playing in the sand and knows to be careful of syringes but thinks these are some sort of treasure….they are such a beautiful colour

magikquilters last blog post: Sparkly Crosses