uncategorized

Top Design: The Weekly Dish

October 9, 2008

Becky is back again to blog about her take on this week’s episode of Top Design. I am out for the day but have left you with a few new posts below this one to read and I’ll be back later on today to share with you some new things I’ve found… So for now, I’m signing off and letting Becky take the wheel… Becky, the stage is yours kiddo! – Holly

——-
DISCLOSURE: I had to stay up until 2 a.m. watching this show because my DVR freaked out during the 10 p.m. airing, so I am very very sleepy. Perhaps that is why I yawned through this entire episode of
Top Design. Perhaps it’s because of all the sloppy attempts people are making to slap the word “green” on everything these days (don’t get me wrong, I’m all for anything that gets attention for environmental responsibility; it’s simply that in a lot of cases it has become trite.). Perhaps it’s that looking at those offices made me think of how much I needed a 3 p.m. nap when I worked in
depressing claustrophobic places like that. Perhaps it was India’s monotone narration. Actually, I just realized what it was! K-DUB wasn’t there! Everyone else’s hair is simply too boring to talk about.

Top Design: The Weekly Dish

So this week was all about creating eco-friendly office spaces. Danny Seo was there in place of Kelly Wearstler. The contestants were told they had to use all of the existing furnishings, which resulted in a lot of “art pieces” and shelves made of old desks. There was a major twist: After the contestants met with their clients and shopped for them, they had to switch spaces with someone else and use the items that person had chosen. I thought of a new drinking game to go along with this show. Drink every time Eddie says “disgusting,” “Martha,” or “panties” (this week it was a “granny panties” reference – what’s up with Eddie and panties?). This will be enough to get you three sheets to the wind within the hour. If he ever gets kicked off, we’ll change it to drink every time someone slaps together a piece of rubbish and calls it an “art piece.”

A few notes on what went down:

• I am so thrilled that no one used the word “zen” the entire episode.
  • I can’t believe Eddie took credit for Nathan’s idea of putting the rug padding on the wall. Sitting here on my couch alone at 1:45 a.m., I gasped aloud. I also thought the blinds he put all over the
    fluorescent light looked stupid. But I am biased; he annoys me to no end. BTW, isn’t used rug padding usually full of all kinds of nasty mold, silverfish and crud? It’s a good idea on paper, but I wouldn’t
    want to sit in an airless room underneath a wall of it.
  • Ondine did a really good job with what she had to work with, especially on her water bottle light fixture.
  • Nathan had the best ideas and was thinking about being green the most out of anyone.
  • The judges were a little too hard on Natalie and her panels. It was a creative idea. Confusing green point: if you have leftover MDF but MDF gives off VOCs, is it better to turn said MDF into recycling bins or toss it in the landfill?
  • I kind of liked Wisit’s attitude when he said, “I’m not going to chop up furniture just for the sake of trying to look creative.”
  • I yawned through the rest of it. None of the designs resulted in an office where I would want to spend 8+ hours a day.

So, enough of my whining, I’m dying to know if you all liked it better than I did. Whose design did you like the best? Are you sad to see the losing contestant go? Did you agree with the judges on the top three designs? If not, who would you swap in and out? Who do you think had the best green ideas? Who had the least green ideas? Who is the biggest brat there? Who do you think will win the whole shabang? What are some other drinking game ideas? Were you bored off your gourd or was it just me?

(text by becky harris and image from top design)

33 Comments

• Reply erin October 9, 2008 at 7:23 am

i agree last nights challenge was not as fun as last weeks… but i do think the green movements pretty important… heres my thoughts.

1. i CANNOT believe how much of a brat eddie is. i really wanted to slap him when he was going on about how martha only hires the best and that if he doesn’t win it doesn’t matter. i don’t think people with attitudes like that should go on shows like this, if you don’t need it let someone else have the opportunity on the show to who does to showcase their talent. i hope martha fires “the best”- i know i wouldn’t want thast kind of attitude representing me! did it bother anyone else when he was complaining about their dump of an appartment??? i really hope he was joking… it didn’t look like a dump to me! he is just so damn arrogant and bitchy that i can’t tell when hes being for real or joking.

2. carpet padding on walls grosses me out, another thing that may work for tv, but not in real life. i would tear that down immediately!

3. i’m sad to see wisit go, he was pretty entertaining, and i kinda liked his philosophy too, but his office was pretty blah.

4. i think nathans gonna win!

• Reply PJ October 9, 2008 at 8:30 am

Eddie is SO full of himself, and it will be his downfall. He is exactly like all the self-important artists I went to school with. He reallllly overestimates his talents, and he is bitchy. He might make it to the finals, though. He just coasted to this win on Nathan’s choices. Lucky Eddie.

I think Natalie and Andrea’s designs, though all right, are amateurish. I liked Natalie’s MDF bin, and for the reason you said. Ondine is a dark horse, under the radar for now. I cringed, though, when JA said, “Props on the chandi.” Seriously, what, is he twelve?

Nathan for the win!

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 9, 2008 at 8:45 am

I’m sorry to say that I didn’t watch, but I will say that I love Danney Seo! I have two of his Simply Green books and they’re great!

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Photo of the Day – 10/09/08

• Reply Denise October 9, 2008 at 9:18 am

The whole concept of this episode was generally stupid. I sat there with my friend asking “are they going to judge their original design? How can they judge them based on someone else’s design aesthetic? It’s not fair that their design has to be limited because of decisions someone else made. How will the client get what they want when their design wishes have been interpreted twice?”

A few other points:

Eddie is a whiny little bitch and I am over his complaining, it just sounds like sour grapes on his part.

I’m glad we got a Kelly W. vacation this episode because after last week, I don’t think I could handle another Kelly hair or clothing atrocity.

Danny’s little statement was so scripted it made me uncomfortable “think recycle, reuse…” blah, blah, blah, he needs media training if he’s going to do these types of projects.

I hated Natalie’s panels and I can’t imagine having all of those things bolted onto my office wall.

I think it was Margaret who said it best when she made a comment along the lines of “I don’t want my office to look like a condo”- I couldn’t agree more! All those moldings in the office!?!

• Reply Andy Mathis October 9, 2008 at 9:26 am

I agree used carpet padding on the wall is not a good idea. New unused leftover carpet padding maybe.

Used carpet padding is full of dust mites, mold spores, dust. Anyone with allergies would not be happy. Their head would explode. Literally.

I didn’t like Eddie’s light fixture. Everything else in the room seemed to be Nathan’s idea. Martha is probably wishing she had hired Nathan instead of Eddie. And I couldn’t believe he said that he didn’t want to assist Andrea as he didn’t want it looking shitty. Duh, Dude- you picked everything out.

Ondine light fixture was great, and in the spirit of being green and the challenge. I thought she did the best she could with Wisit’s choices.

I think it was Wisit’s time to go. He seemed to not give one thought about the actual challenge and just did whatever.

Andy Mathiss last blog post: Little Pumpkins- on Yupo

• Reply Kim October 9, 2008 at 9:29 am

I have to agree, it was boring. I had the episode on DVR, and I had to keep rewinding it because five minutes would go by and I would realize that I had no idea what happened–I was zoning out.

And I missed Kelly too.

• Reply michelle October 9, 2008 at 9:42 am

1. I’m sorry to hear the Wisit got bumped. In my true form, I managed to stay awake for almost the entire episode only to fall asleep when it came time to elimination. I thought Wisit had some real artistic talent and brought some innovative ideas to the show but was definitely not one of the best designers. I just liked listen to him talk, highly entertaining.

2. Hello Preston, if you just by two garbage cans and stick them in the corner with no labels on them, they both will end up garbage cans because no one will know which is supposed to be for recycling.

3. I think I liked Ondine’s the best although I’m having a problem actually remembering most of them. It could be because I’m incredibly tired, or it could be that most were forgetable.

4. I think Nathan should win.

michelles last blog post: A Blogtroduction

• Reply luka October 9, 2008 at 10:41 am

Eddie is a jerk. His attitude is so poor and he’s so self-important I actually find it hard to watch the show because of him.

I don’t know why but I really like Andrea, she seems to be someone that us, average, hobbyist decorators can identify with and I appreciate her trying to do new things and being challenged by it.

Wisit, in my opinion, was a relatively poor designer. He never listened to what his client wanted from the window display to the bold colors the young girl wanted last night. It was a good pick to go.

I don’t feel Ondine gets enough credit on the show, she had the most inspired idea of the night with the “chandy” and while the room wasn’t so hot because of Wisit’s initial choices I feel she deserved a special shout out from the judges.

• Reply Cindy Corlett October 9, 2008 at 11:44 am

Last nights episode was a let down on so many levels. I don’t think having the designers “swap” at the last minute accomplished anything of substance. All it did was add more stress. I mean when, in the real world, would you have to take over another designers work without talking to the client yourself and having zero input about design choices? Isn’t the point of the show is to discover talent and point of view? Bad gimmick.(IMHO)

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie. He’s like a hyper gay character from “Mean Girls.” I’ve decided his new name (at my house anyway) is Prom Queen. He is truly his biggest fan!!

I was surpised that Wisit was chosen to leave over Natalie. It seems obvious that JA at least does not respect her talent. Wisit is talented, but really doesn’t seem to be able to go beyond his point of view and see thinks from the client’s side. As much as I enjoyed watching him, I was getting a little tired of the over-xanaxed speech pattern. (Spit it out already!!!)

I totally agree about the carpet padding issue. First, Eddie took credit for it when it wasn’t his idea, and second, the thought of the ground in dirt and cooties in that stuff makes my skin crawl!!

Let’s hope next week we get a task that is a straight forward individual design challenge!! No gotchas, just a chance to watch these people create.

• Reply Charlie October 9, 2008 at 11:48 am

Well, I agree, that was a huge yawn.

Eddie, as predicted, is showing his true colors. And everyone that “loved him and his website” should be feeling a little embarrassed. Have you been to his website – he’s so pompous and dull? He is a stylish for Martha Stewart – who cares? He’s mean spirited and spiteful and thats not a winner in my book. You are so right Luka, I am having a hard timing watching, because of him also.

How great was Nathan when he just rose above the issue of “carpet idea” that Eddie claimed as his own. Now that is a true competitor. I really hope that he or Ondine win.

Also, as pointed out on the show, Eddie won with Nathan’s design.

Green design is so vague really. Its like organic foods and products. Most of the time its just a selling gimmick.

Charlies last blog post: Scary storytelling

• Reply simone October 9, 2008 at 2:01 pm

*first of all my apologies for spelling wisit’s name wrong all along. last night was the first time i saw the opening credits. oopsy*

1) Eddie has fallen from grace with a BIG THUD!! Seriously! What was with the superiority complex last night? I mean, really now, dude! If he’s so much about having already “made it” perhaps he should have remained on his day job with Martha as opposed to slumming in the design world. Harsh, I know, but still. Ugh.

2) I would have done a cartwheel on Wisit’s departure had I known how. I am not sorry to see him go as I do believe that he’s not all together there. Between the giggles, the voice, and the Opera… tchau tchau.

3) Natalie’s room was okay but the panels on the wall seemed random and as if she was just trying to use what she has. She really has to learn to better compose her room. If she were a writing, there would be a lot of dangling participles.

4) I LOVED Preston’s space. I will be mimicking that in my office this winter.

5) Andrea, babe…

6) The carpet on the wall thing – GROSS. THAT was NOT GREEN. Old carpet that was not eco-friendly to begin with is not going to be so tacked unto the wall. All the muck, dirt, and grime is not cool under your feet nor in your lungs. Double Boo!

Ondine’s light fixture was FAB! Danny Seo let me down in that this episode was absolute green-washing. I expected better.

Will can’t India just go back to the Bahamas with her “Elle DEK-OR”

simones last blog post: Organic Wines under $20

• Reply Andi-a October 9, 2008 at 2:24 pm

I’m writing this after Charlie #10 so if it looks like I’m repeating anyone after that sorry thats the last one listed while I write.

Liked Eddie’s wood blind door and light fixture treatment.
    Eddie’s attitude well there is absolutely nothing new to say.
    Liked the water bottle lighting treatment. Yes I’m trying to coin a new term for all this stuff that is happening around a light bulb and socket these days, and with design buzz words having the life of 3 seconds I figured I’d say it here.
    Liked Nathan’s yellow saw horse deal but not so much the fabric art piece, gave me flashbacks to my childhood pediatrician’s 70’s office.
    I don’t ever want to be hip enough to have new or used carpet padding in my constant line of sight, no no no just no. I get it but no.
    I liked that Preston heard some good news but he is going to have to go for broke. It’s so interesting how much you can tell about where these designers are in their lives by their color choices.
    Finally bye to Widge geeeeeesh and they had to make it like tearing a huge incomplete scab off with him singing an operatic negro spiritual. Was anyone else waiting for doves to come flying from under the desks as they showed his final walk out of the studio? What was with the scene from Rent when he was saying goodbye? Enough already Widget GET OOOOUUUT! Sorry ya’ll but I still resent that I’ve had to listen to this wheezing whispers, it’s all about the world experiencing my art dilettant, who got away with pure sabatoge sacrificing everything and everyone that got in the way of his own evil secret aesthetic. He is design desease. Kerry you were so wronged.
    Todd Oldham makes me want to jump him in a very good way. I hope for his sake that we don’t meet cause I love me some him and I might cause him to go into seclusion. His kindness and helpfulness is for lack of originality “panty dropping”.
    What the heck is up with the dreary lighting Bravo? Sure they don’t want the glarey shine of HGTV, but if they don’t use some better camera lighting they are going to lose audience because people will think this show is to depressing.
    Missed India’s fun antics (the judges are killing her softly). Liked that Marge made that one good critique whatever it was. Jonathan seems to be moving away from his fun design credo, but I do love his spread in Met Home looooove the Paul Evans bed. BTW KW’s Domino spread I like many of you couldn’t hang with it. The eighties wallpaper again I don’t want to be that hip, can you imagine being so cool you have to choose ugly 80’s to stay at the top? Really like the aqua room with gold trim though.

• Reply becky from hatch October 9, 2008 at 2:39 pm

God I love you guys. You all said everything I was thinking, except much more eloquently than I could.

CONFESSION: I say “Chandy” all the time, mostly b/c whenever I try to type chandalier, like right now, it gets underlined for gross mis-spelling violations. I have to try five different combos before I get it right, and I can NEVER remember how to spell it correctly! Notice I’m not bothering so you can see my shame.

I am all for these shows trying to bring green design to the forefront, but yes, we need to watch out for greenwashing. I think because of the time constraints and wacky switcheroo in this episode, most of the contestants didn’t even have a second to consider how to be greener. I wish this challenge would have really showcased fabulous green design, instead of some ho-hum yawn-inducing caca.

I am in love with Nathan. He is so dry, self-deprecating, and hilarious. I want to go have cocktails with him. I also think he is the most talented, without bragging about how he doesn’t need to win and name dropping. I am so proud to say I was not about to jump on the “I heart Eddie’s blog” bandwagon. Ugh. I wish he and his panties would get the boot.

I really like Ondine as well. I thought she should have been in the top three over Preston. His room looked like a bad dining room with too much furniture in it. I was sad to see odd bird little Wisit fly away, but he was never able to see past his own point of view and work with other people or clients when they weren’t on his wavelength.

becky from hatchs last blog post: New Mankind Mag!

• Reply Leah October 9, 2008 at 2:58 pm

This episode was by far the worst. Dull, weak and the challenge twist seemed to defeat the whole purpose of seeing these designers individual talent. Is the show called Top DesignSSSSS?

Eddie seriously pissed me off this episode. He was going down hill fast for me, but this episode he officially hit the pavement and I went from genuinely liking him to loathing him. I find his attitude too pompous and, well, “disgusting”.

Andrea has become a total debbie downer, it’s painful watching her speak about how unsure she is of her own talent. I can’t help but think it may be foreshadowing her leave? Maybe she just misses her family?

I like Ondine and Nathan. I kinda wish Natalie left because Wizit, lets face it, makes the show a lot less boring, but I understand why he had to go. He really wasn’t too strong in the design area and didn’t seem to look outside his own crayon box much (always the same color palette with him), and the word elegant was getting old real fast. How epic was that ending with him though.

Leahs last blog post: Margo

• Reply Leah October 9, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Like everyone else, I’m SO over Eddie. I really do hope Martha fires him — he’s not someone I would want representing my company, that’s for sure. And his style is SO totally granny, he out-Marthas Martha herself.

I’m heartbroken Wisit is gone. He’s a strange, exotic bird — but capable of creating great beauty on his own terms. Fly free, little Wisit!

My money is on Nathan for the win.

Leahs last blog post: Cool Tool: Color of Inspiration

• Reply Linda Merrill from ::Surroundings:: October 9, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I agree with everyone who said that the twist – switching clients/spaces – was gimicky and served no purpose. Also, the rug on the wall, while an interesting idea, was in actuality gross. Plus, the off-gassing in those rugs make them very bad. I was surprised that Danny Seo initially complimented Natalie’s recycle bins, then criticized them for the materials. But they were all right that the wall panels weren’t functional and therefore pretty wasteful and purposeless.

I’ll miss Wisit – he is definitely a unique character and is very sweet. I just interviewed him for Blogging Top Design.

Linda Merrill from ::Surroundings::s last blog post: Crystal Palace at Montage

• Reply kelly October 9, 2008 at 5:48 pm

The more I watch this show, the more I think the editing team is having the most fun. At the beginning, Andrea seemed to be portrayed as the snobby “my husband is Rick Schroeder” know-it-all. Now she seems much more relatable and downright humble.

I have never liked Eddie, but always felt he had talent. Now I’m beginning to wonder how many ideas he’s snatched while working for Martha. That he would blatantly accept praise for someone else’s idea on TV was a little much. (Again, how much of this was edited down?)

And I always suspected Wisit had a bit of a dark underbelly under that precious exterior, and I think we saw proof of that. I don’t think Natalie is awesome, but at least she used what she was given. Wisit didn’t even make an effort to incorporate Natalie’s ideas. And he tried hiding his snarkiness with a bunch of eyelash batting and giggling.

I think Ondine is my favorite because I have not really seen one diva-like moment from her. She seems very down to earth, but also really creative. The chandelier was cool, but having something like that in my office would freak me out. Will the heat from the light melt the plastic?

I agreed with Jonathan that Preston styled the bookshelves really well, but I thought his room looked straight out of Trading Spaces?

Becky, I thought you hit the nail on the head when you said that “green” is becoming trite. So true.

kellys last blog post: 4 Years

• Reply Condo Blues October 9, 2008 at 7:51 pm

“That’s not my style” I can’t believe that I’m hearin designer after designer whining “that’s not my style” Like Eddie who freaked out that his orginal client wanted “fun and funky” and that’s not his style. Well, in the real world I design projects that aren’t my personal style all the time because my job is to _please my paying client_ . I think it’s the sign of a poor designer if you can’t be flexible enough to create a well designed room in manner that pleases your client but that you’d personally would not want in your own home.

That being said, I thought that it was time for Wisit to go. This challenge proved that while he made for a good reality TV character, design-wise he could do only one thing/style. When you take him out of his Rocco box like in the green challenge and the window challenge, he dioesn’t cope very well.

Overall, I was disappointed in this challenge. Probabbly because one of things I blog about turning the stuff you have into cool stuff you need. They really didn’t give the designers much in the way of usable materials to rework into recycled projects for the offices other than the nasty furniture and carpets. I would have loved to have seen more projects a la UnCommon Goods if only the designers had been given a usable pile of materal to rework.

And point of order: I don’t think Natalie should have gotten dinged for making her bins out of MDF. She inherited the materials and room from another designer. She didn’t get a chance to consult with her client so how could she have known that recycling bins were a room requirement? Natalies fulfilled her client’s wish with the materials she had at hand. There is such a thing as green MDF. Which she may or may not have had. From her reaction, probabbly not.

I think Eddie took direction well from Nathan and that’s what gave him the win. I really give props to Nathan for keeping his cool in front of the judges after Eddie took credit for all of Nathan’s ideas.

Condo Bluess last blog post: Save Some Bucks ? How to Seal Air Ducts!

• Reply Terrah October 9, 2008 at 8:15 pm

I’m kind of sad to see crazy ‘lil Wisit go. He was funny as hell. As far as Eddie and him saying “I hate the word FUNKY” then using it later when talking with his carpenter… truly proves how crazy he is.

I think Ondine did the best this time around. Already looking forward to next week! :)

Terrahs last blog post: Presidential debate

• Reply Jana Souza October 9, 2008 at 8:43 pm

This episode was so extremely boring for me; I had bad flashback of being in Corporate America; I agree with so many of you and must add that I truly missed Kelly this week; not so much for her fashion gettup as for her energy and upper class stature for the show; I thought the judging was a huge drone.

I felt for Andrea; she seems fairly real and humble, owning when she is “out of her element” and truly putting her energy into space planning with consideration for functional issues—didn’t seem like the others were on that plane as much; weird variables in the challenge, like others said, in switching clients, in the requirement to retain everything; a stretch on green design, seemed very gimmicky.

Overall, I was hugely disappointed–this weekly exchange on decor8 is what kept me from switching channels. Wisit, he was funny, but lame for real world design—his repeated pencil drawing art, priceless.

I just feel for Natalie, she is out of her league.

Preston, somewhat flat and serious, he could lighten up and break out of his comfort zone; that might elevate his chances.

Nathan, really the most consistent performer and more enjoyable personality.

Eddie, just so arrogant; I have known so many people like that in various fields over the years and they do seem to gain popularity in their field based on their own sense of self importance; often leaves me scratching my head in disbelief??

Ondine, please someone help her with her look–as shallow as that sounds, it does translate into your presence as a professional.

enough rambling from me and again, thanks for the fun exchange,

jana

• Reply Ez October 10, 2008 at 12:24 am

I’d personally like to offer Nathan a prize for putting up with having his ideas ripped off by Eddie and not even so much as casting a glare in the imps direction. I would have been tempted to throttle the guy!

And then what else can I say about Eddie that hasn’t already been said… hmmm? What if Martha comes on as a surprise judge and cans the guy while simultaneously uttering the “we can not live with your design” line… getting rid of him for good. Now that would be a noteworthy episode! At this point I can barely stand to watch any longer with all of Eddie’s spoiled and egomaniacal ways!

Tata until next week. xoxo

Ezs last blog post: Feels Like Fall

• Reply Alicia October 10, 2008 at 1:51 am

*sigh* Top Design is really suffering this season. It seems so low-budget compared to seasons past.

Alicias last blog post: from my bookmarks

• Reply Roberta October 10, 2008 at 9:45 am

My favorite person on the whole show from week to week is Todd Oldham. His suggestions are always made in a kind and supportive way. He also has a great eye and I think his recommendations are always spot on. I find him the most inspirational person on the entire show.

• Reply becky from hatch October 10, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Terrah, I missed the time Eddie said “Funky” That rocks!

Charlie sent me THE BEST link, it’s Eddie’s audition tape! His apt. looks very wanna-be-Martha, but misses the mark:

Be prepared to be majorly underwhelmed.

You know what’s funny, I liked Eddie for the first two episodes. I thought he was talented and funny. It sure is fun making fun of him though!

Becky

becky from hatchs last blog post: Ship Happens

• Reply Cindy Corlett October 10, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Oh my Lord!! I just watched that audition tape!! What a creepy Norman Bates experience that was. The longer it went on, the more Martha he became. Do you suppose next week he’ll stab another contestant in the shower??!!?

Your were totally right about his apartment-very underwhelming.

• Reply Nicole October 10, 2008 at 5:27 pm

I too gasped out loud when Eddie took credit for Nathan’s carpet padding idea & then won. While I generally like what he does, he is just so arrogant- annoys me when the judges seem to confirm his opinion of himself.

Also loved Ondine’s water bottle chandelier – very creative!

Am SOOOO excited for next week… from the preview it seems to be very Ikea-focused. I know that the millions of pieces all the items come in will be the source of some great drama!

Nicoles last blog post: Halloween Lollipops

• Reply Cat October 10, 2008 at 8:06 pm

1.) AND Eddie said his client was a “dork”. He should be thrown off the show for general rudeness. And why is everyone surprised that Martha has him as an employee. Are we all forgetting that Martha is a total witch to her employees and look how she behaved when she was arrested. She thought she was so “above it all”. Eddie and her belong together.

2.) BORING show and Wisett was driving me crazy with his babiness

3.) The whole short time thing drives me nuts! A well designed room takes thinking and exploring, it is not a horse race!

4.) OLD carpet padding on my walls: never!

• Reply Andrea Bell October 11, 2008 at 3:25 am

Not a whole lot to say really.

I should think that “America’s Authority on Green Design” shouldn’t be saying things like “It’s hard enough to be green…” I just don’t get that. I think it could have been a real twist just to have an episode on green design period. It is at the forefront of so much right now, how about seeing what these people actually are paying attention to? It seems that this show is so intent on tripping up these guys to make “dramatic” tv that they are completely missing the mark! I don’t think they can get much further into the hole.

How unfortunate that they could get these stellar designers to be judges and mentors, but can’t find ideas for episodes to save their lives. The contestants, quite frankly, must just be totally confused. They definitely look it. What a waste.

Sidebar: I finally found Eddie’s blog, and am a little thrown by the fact that this episode all he did was *suffer* through having to re-use materials and think *eco* when every single post on his blog (the ones I have read) make a point of showcasing not only his ‘skill’ in greenie re-use, but also his blatant love of turning junk into his own treasure. What is up with this guy? I think it is funny how everyone thinks Martha should fire him though. He is simply the male version of her, no? Perhaps not quite as subtle, but just as snide and arrogant. Where do we think he gets it from? She is most likely proud as a peacock.

Andrea Bells last blog post: Spark Tart

• Reply erica October 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm

i agree that the rug padding on the wall was pretty gross, but he wasn’t allowed to throw anything away, so Nathan repurposed rather well.

• Reply Kristiina October 14, 2008 at 12:38 pm

I am so bored with the whole program and their projects. Also the “designers” are so amateurish and honestly not so creative. I thought that it would have been easy to make it better from last season but this season is definitely a big let down.

• Reply Camila Soares July 17, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hi!.In spite of to be Brazilian and to have some difficulty to understand ,I see… that is beautiful an of easy access.I don’t understand a lot of decoration, but, I begin being interested for the subject! Forgive the grammar mistakes!
    My congratulations!

• Reply Camila Soares July 17, 2009 at 10:17 am

Doesn’t have as passing the site not for Portuguese?
    It is a the form of enlarging the popularization of the site.Many Brazilian they like design and they want to access!
    Thank’s