Wallpaper Borders – Your Thoughts?

I was out last night with a group of 11 creative women here in Hannover, all independent artists and designers who sell on DaWanda, and we met at this charming 100+ year old tea room called Teest?bchen in the old part of the city to discuss art, design, travel, you know… Girl talk! We had a really nice evening. One designer there asked me what my thoughts are on wallpaper border as she was thinking about making and selling some borders with her gorgeous illustrations on them.

Teest?bchen in Hannover.

My first reaction was No! but then as I was talking to her I realized that we cannot always do what is popular, we must sometimes do what we simply like and see what happens with it after we send it out into the world. Thing is, I do not like wallpaper border so my opinion of it was a bit negative and though I felt bad being so honest to this lovely lady, she did ask me for my opinion and I told her plainly that I did not like them at all.

Wallpaper border is in NO way a new concept, it has been done before and most of us dislike it because we still have visions from the 80s and early 90s when EVERYONE HAD IT in EVERY SINGLE ROOM sporting motifs that ranged from trains to roosters to mauve flowers. I think we associate it with tacky interior styles of the past (at least in America) and the rather tasteless ones found today in stores like Home Depot. Then again, years ago before Domino and Kelly Wearstler many of us HATED WALLPAPER WITH A PASSION. When I started blogging nearly 3 years ago, I remember writing about wallpaper and readers hating its comeback and commenting rather nasty things about it and now it’s trend and most people LOVE it.

The point is, do you think wallpaper borders could in fact make a comeback as wallpaper has? Do you hate it? What do you hate about it? How do you see borders being designed so as to have a positive response? I’d love to hear what readers from all parts of the world have to say on this topic so please voice your opinion!

And if you have no clue what wallpaper borders are, click here to see some

(image from Flickr via Ellenspenellen)

Posted by decor8 in reader questions, walls on October 09, 2008

1. jenna commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 7:34am

I’m sure that some designer out there will create wallpaper borders that don’t look anything like wallpaper borders… at that point maybe I’d be interested. But all I can think of when I see them for sale or in someone’s home is “Dated!” Seems just so old, so out dated, and to put it in simple terms.. ew.

2. Jennifer commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 8:26am

I don’t personally hate it, but the put up and take down (especially the later, for new home owners!) is particularly annoying. It would be interesting to have a sort of merging of those stick-em wall graphics (easily removable) and border.

What next? Wood paneling and chair rails? ;)

3. Trina commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 8:37am

I too am *not* a fan of wallpaper borders at all, and really don’t see them coming back anytime soon. Tacky Tacky Tacky. I’ve never used them, and have no intention of ever using them. Icky !!

I would however be open to the idea provided the design was updated, I guess i’d have to actually see the finished product first before I could actually form an opinion on them.

BUT, an even better idea that wallpaper borders are the wall decals that are everywhere right now. I think that would be more versatile choice personally. Wall decals are just so much more versatile as you can put them anywhere on your wall, rather than be restricted to a straight line or border.

No to Wallpaper borders!!! Booooo!!!

Trinas last blog post: Gobble Gobble !!!

4. Rita Vindedzis commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 8:43am

Sounds like you had a wonderful and inspiring evening Holly. As I use my home/studio for client visits, I have all my walls painted in “gallery” white and have the paintings as the focal point. I do however love the new beautiful wallpapers that have gained popularity today. I’m proud to say that I have the “Wallpaper” book by Alejandro Asensio in my collection. :-)

I’m definitely not a fan of wallpaper borders though, I do think they look cheesy as they were really overused in the 80’s and 90’s as you said. I think the new wall decals are very cool!!

Rita Vindedziss last blog post: October Giveaway is Here!

5. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 8:44am

honestly, I’d have to see it before making that kind of assessment. I too have memories of the tacky borders and wallpaper patterns of the 80s and it’s hard to get past that. I have, however, seen examples of wallpaper that were beautiful, so much so that you would hardly know it was wallpaper. So I would be open to it…

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Photo of the Day – 10/09/08

6. Kim commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:17am

The absolute best thing I can say about wallpaper borders is that it’s easier to remove from the walls than wallpaper is. Hah!

That said, I do think some borders look really nice. Same with wallpaper.

Kims last blog post: Vincent, playing hard to catch

7. ArtShades commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:24am

I think they will make a comeback – just as wallpaper, patterned carpet and stencils have done. I too remember the awful borders from the 80s in the UK, but I think they too will come back in bolder, less twee designs. Perhaps they will be handblocked, embossed or even stitched (I made a mixed media one once!) And maybe they will be applied as strips of pattern on a single wall instead of wrapped around the entire room? I’d love to see the gorgeous illustrations your fellow designer is planning.

8. Whitney commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:26am

Ughhh. Such BAD memories. My bedroom had a sunflower border when I was in junior high. I can’t believe how much I loved it then. I guess borders could be ok, but I’d have to be convinced first.

That being said, they were a great way for my mother (who had six children and very little extra money) to save money and decorate our bedrooms. And we loved them.

9. Rita commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:29am

Worst wallpaper border ever — in the bathroom of the house my brother bought was a border that had outhouses printed on it in a very 90’s “country” style theme. Oh, it was bad.

My initial reaction to wallpaper border is “blech” for two reasons:
    #1 – I’ve NEVER seen it done well and
    #2 – graphics on wallpapers that are loved these days are patterns. And I can’t see a strip of a pattern being as successful as a whole wall of pattern.

But who knows!? “The proof is in the puddin'” right?

10. Carey commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:45am

My first thought was, “Aaaarrgghh — No, No, NO!” Then, I took a breath and now I’m thinking … “Hmmm, maybe.”

While technically not a wallpaper boarder, I did put a vinyl decal border of bright orange in my boys’ bedroom, and I think it looks FAB. I’m also suggesting my cousin put a vinyl decal border of a city silhouette in her boy’s bedroom (he loves Spiderman, and instead of “theme-ing” up his room I thought the suggestion of Metropolis/Gotham — whatever city is in Spiderman — in the background, along with one or two small Spiderman pictures and/or pillows, would speak to his love of Spiderman without plastering the actual logo all over the room).

So, I guess what I’m saying is … there may be room for borders in a design. If the right print speaks to your aesthetic, go for it. Also, I agree with your statement to send it out to the world and see what happens.

11. amber of theambershow commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:46am

insert passionate anti-wallpaper border here that will be retracted in two years because someone is going to come out with an effing brilliantly designed wallpaper border, the absolute coolness of which cannot be denied. until then, i have visions of 1994’s “fruit and flowers” motif in my brain, giving me a headache.

12. talentedmissripley commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:47am

Ugh. I hate the wallpaper border. I also hate 80s fashion, and that’s certainly made a comback. I think that, unfortunately, if batwing shirts and neons are back, the wallpaper border won’t be far behind. Aren’t those signs of the apocalypse?

talentedmissripleys last blog post: A Morning Surprise

13. Heather commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:48am

Hi,

I have found wallpaper borders to be so painful. Overdone florals or country bowls of fruit wrapping around a room? What is that? I think the main reason is that the prints are so expected.

I would love to see something really unexpected. Like a border that wasn’t truly rectangular but more graphic with cutouts Or something that was meant to be applied in curves along the wall – not perfectly straight.

14. Anna @ D16 commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:53am

As is the case with full-wall wallpaper, I think it really depends on the design and concept of the borders. Certainly Jenny Wilkinson’s work looks nothing like the Winnie-the-Pooh border that was in the bathroom when I bought my house!

Personally, I’m thrilled about the “comeback” of wallpaper. My mother always used wallpaper (always Marimekko) to excellent effect in our kitchens and bathrooms when I was growing up, so I don’t have the negative associations with it that others do. Again, it’s a question of style and taste. There is still plenty of hideous wallpaper out there that I wouldn’t go near, but it’s very nice to see so many talented illustrators and designers creating truly beautiful papers — I really just see it as an extension of textile design.

But yes, back to borders. Let’s see them first, and then critique. ;)

Anna @ D16s last blog post: Almost friends.

15. wanderluster commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:55am

I think wallpaper borders will make a comeback, after the infatuation with wall decals dies out. To make them more contemporary and appealing though, I think their designs should move away from the small pattern, heavy repetition look, with very detailed backgrounds. I picture cleaner patterns with wider repeats.

Picture blades of fresh green grass in varying heights, used along the bottom of a wall instead of the top. Or an almost random pattern of different birds in various sizes and colours, with lots of white space in the background. What about a damask swirly oversized graphic – and instead of using it to border the tops of your walls, you use it to border all four edges of a single wall, to create a large picture-frame effect? I think borders will be appealing if they’re used in new ways we never anticipated.

wanderlusters last blog post: Cute Stuff

16. Jean commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:58am

Almost any room I’ve seen with a wallpaper border has been dated – even if the border was added a few months before! The border are often theme-based and homeowners attempt to carry out their theme throughout the room-typically bath or kitchen. However, with fresh (and more timeless) designs, I believe wallpaper borders could make a comeback. At the same time, I’d love for someone to design drawer and shelf liners with interesting designs. We’re ready for something other than white, beige and checks!

17. Kristi commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:59am

I hear the words “wallpaper border” and it makes me cringe. It’s definitely possible for them to make a comeback, but I don’t really see it happening anytime soon.

I actually have seen wallpaper borders used in some unique ways, like using molding to set the border apart (which can be adorable in a child’s room), or using the border vertically as an accent on a wall. But to make it work, the borders have to be something really special and artistic, rather than the typical borders like the ridiculous fruit or flower borders that are a dime a dozen, and which in my opinion, are just a quick fix for the DIY homeowner who lacks decorating talent.

I think your friend should go for it, but definitely challenge her to think outside of the box to create something that can be used in a variety of ways, rather than simply a “wallpaper border”. And possibly if she calls it something else, like “paper appliques”, that would help as well.

Kristis last blog post: Pietra Firma:: World’s Most Exclusive Tiles

18. Jo commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 10:07am

I think it is about the scale of the border. You usually have this huge wall and a narrow border stuck up at the very top. That does not look pretty, just weird! The instances where I have seen wallpaper border look attractive did not involve it being by itself on the top of the wall. I’ve seen it combined with a coordinating wallpaper and that looked good. I used it myself in the nursery as a chair rail. I used moulding to frame the exterior and have received lots of compliments on it. See pictures here: http://www.chicaandjo.com/2008/04/15/add-trim-molding-to-a-wallpaper-border/

So, I think it could make a comeback and be attractive if it is made wider in general and not just stuck up next to the ceiling all by itself!

Jos last blog post: Disposable guest towels in the bathroom

19. Diana commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 10:23am

Hm – well I will say that it’s a unique idea in that I doubt there are many others going that route. I can almost picture it along the lines of wall decals – as an accent. I think the color of the background would have to blend with the color of a wall for me to enjoy it. I can’t really imagine the obvious line of a wallpaper border looking good.

Dianas last blog post: Hump Day Happiness

20. magikquilter commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 10:25am

You know Holly you are inspiring me to start some meetings here in Sydney with some of the creative women I have met through the flickr groups I formed earlier this year. My main group has over 11oo members believe it or not but most are overseas. Unlike you while you are in Europe the distances here are so vast but I think I have enough people who work in the city and commute everyday into the city…maybe a Friday evening is a good idea or a Thursday when it is Late Night Shopping….is there a special reason you chose Wednesday as a day?

Now the wall paper borders….hmmm..well I am older 53 [last Tuesday!!!] and am still keen on the classic look…or I suppose contemporary classic. Actually you are the design person I do not know the term!! A modern Laura Ashley type look…almost Art Deco textiles with lots of mirrored furniture….their catalogue a few years ago I love. But the old style Laura Ashley with small floral wallpaper and fussy borders I do not like. Your friend’s idea may be more arty…those lovely light sketches which are so wonderful in artwork and fabric these days may look delightful in children’s rooms and also to decorate children’s furniture…wardrobes etc.

I even went to the Laura Ashley website and they do not have borders that I can see in that…interesting but could not work the catalogue…it kept zooming bigger and I had to keep going back to the beginning….I will go to the shop tomorrow…thanks for stretching my brain!!!

magikquilters last blog post: Sparkly Crosses

21. Veeta commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 10:35am

No–I really can’t see them coming back. Even if the designs were nice, the point where they meet the painted wall just looks cheap.
    Anyway, wall stickers have effectively replaced them, no?

22. josie commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:10am

I ‘m responding to your encounter the other night with…Wallpaper Boarders.
    As I read about your chat regarding same I had nothing short of a ‘reaction’.
    I share your aversion to these borders and agree their lives were cut short by the ghastly subject matter they depicted. Invariably they were gaudy,cliche,trite or all three. It’s not that don’t like ornamentation,but seriously a border showing a maroon and gold swirly dirvy crown mold in a 50’s Ranch style home? Just because one can doesn’t mean one should.
    As to wallpaper having a come back I’ve seen fabulous papers used very effectively. It’s the eventual removal of the wallpaper from what is probably a drywall wall which is the problem. All the gouging and scraping really buggers up the wall. I do like many of the new vinyl removable appliques available now. They still allow for novelty but are so much easier the remove once the fancy passes. Small firms like Accent-A-Room do custom small or large orders in every color imaginable. I used their copper
    color in raindrop shapes against a jade green wall. Fab.

23. Jasmine commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:23am

I think it will totally depend on the design. I’ve seen really cool modern wall paper used by Nate Berkus and Candice Olsen (modern designs, more textureized). As for borders…I’m surprised those borders from that website still exist! But I think it can be done if done correctly. I do think you’re right with with dusty blue/mauve era scaring us all from wall paper forever, though. The word itself screams “caution”. So it’s a tough call, but I do know the idea, if done correctly (which I’m sure it would be) peaks my interest.

Jasmines last blog post: A Little Obsessed

24. Jennifer commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:31am

I don’t know … wallpaper borders seem to be the interior design equivalent of shoulder pads in 1980s blazers.

I’ve never seen a wallpaper border in a pattern that wasn’t hideous … I’m trying to imagine an Orla Kiely pattern – perhaps that might work. I guess I’d have to see something as far from the repeated rooster pattern in my parents’ old kitchen in order to change my mind about borders in general.

Jennifers last blog post: Fostering healthy eating habits ?

25. michele commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:38am

I’m wondering how your “friend” felt when you said “no” and I hope you can handle my response to your question as well.

regarding your quote:

“before Domino and Kelly Wearstler many of us HATED WALLPAPER WITH A PASSION”

So only KWID makes good wallpaper?

Your constant plugging for KWID is because you like that yellow and white wallpaper? or the green and white? Or her new comeback of purple/mauve
    80’s look that looks like your great grandmothers Miami beach condo (jk)

I think your friend who asked you should she sell her art as wallpaper borders could have done no worse then what KW is doing right now.
    It looks like KW is headed to a Home Depot near you or is she there already?

As for wall paper there’s cheap and then there’s the good stuff. I think when you say your friends (whenever that was) “hated wallpaper with a passion” until KW

It shows you have had limited exposure to interior design. Who can afford really awesome wallpaper? Probably not your friends. It’s kind of a rich thing Holly – wallpaper. And done right it’s a good thing. Just ask Patricia Gray who is an expert on interior design.

By the way your place in Germany is looking so adorable. Totally charming.

Michele

micheles last blog post: Heart Yarn in Rainbow Colors

26. Lily commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:53am

For me wallpapers are like “accessories”, I love them just by touch for covering one wall in a room like a big painting something I can change when I want change an ambiance. In France we call wallpapers borders ? des frises ? and we find very ugly old styles. So yes, wallpapers borders can make a comeback like wallpaper did, with good, modern and fresh design. It could be a very good idea. German Extratapete makes borders with photos for example.

Lilys last blog post: Kathleen Hills chez Bodie and Fou

27. Carrie commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 12:27pm

In addition to the type of design featured here, I am also a HUGE lover and fan of the early 20th century Arts & Crafts movement. During that time, art wallpaper freizes were a classic element of the design and truly beautiful, they are still being created by companies like Bradbury & Bradbury today and becoming increasingly popular again in restorations of historic craftsman and bungalow homes.

Here are some links that describe the history of these “borders”… they really can be lovely and are a far cry from the borders we have mostly seen used in homes the past 30 or so years.

I think these worked well based on the overall architectural design, usually in the dining room where the walls were covered with high solid wood wainscot that usually had a chair/plate rail.

I think depending on the architectural elements and the overall design/style, we potentially could see some new iterations of wallpaper borders coming to life but they definitely won’t work in every application as folks tried to do with those lovely 80’s ones. I think the ones that we are most familiar with, that are seen in that link are what usually come to mind when we think of wallpaper borders and those are soooooo not appealing and I’ve lived in many places where those borders were the first thing to go when I started redecorating!!

Carries last blog post: shop local – etsy (1st edition)

28. Cicada Studio commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 12:36pm

Three things come to mind. When you say “independent artists and designers” I have no visions of the crappy old design staple. I picture cool artwork, hip attitude, cleverness, etc. etc…

Second- wallpaper in general has made a HUGE come back. I see no reason why it shouldn’t trickle down. Not to mention wall decals. Borders are just printed decals. It could be very neat to see what’s achieved.

The last thing I think of is going VERTICAL. Going up a wall in a random part of a room- like a long thin canvas?? That sounds so cool, I am salivating about the idea of doing it myself!!!

So, I’m all for reinventing the old and stale. Check out my tea towel wall calendar. Bringing back an old idea but making it new again is a great way to get exposure and possibly success, too.

I say YES YES YES.

Cicada Studios last blog post: New Item In Shop | 2009 Tea Towel Calendar

29. Anna @ D16 commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 12:43pm

Wow, I’m kind of baffled by Michele’s non-sensical comment (#25). I was considering responding to it in depth, but I won’t.

Anyway, I came back here to comment again because I suddenly remembered Twenty2’s wallbands, which are, in essence, wallpaper borders. The designs are not my taste, but I think they show that it’s possible to take the concept of a wallpaper border and push it beyond what we all think of as being tacky and dated.

Also, it’s worth noting that contemporary wallpapers are far easier to remove than their score-steam-peel-nightmare counterparts. It’s really not the huge, lifelong commitment a lot of folks think it is. It’s not a wall tattoo!

Nor is it a “rich thing”. (cough, cough)

Anna @ D16s last blog post: Almost friends.

30. Carrie commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 1:36pm

As a product the worst wallpaper border eras (70’s-80’s, as if it needed to be said), it’s hard not to have a visceral reaction to them. You just have to keep in mind that it’s usually the bad design and how it is used that makes us cringe, not the borders, per se. Vintage wallpaper borders certainly don’t evoke the same ick feeling that the more recent ones do. I think there is definitely room for re-invention in this area!

Carries last blog post: Humbug?

31. Betsy commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 2:00pm

I don’t know about the whole border thing but I do have to say that I have some very fond memories of my cartoon exercising cat border I had in my room growing up. And in fact remember vividly the day that I picked it out when I was 5!
    However, I like the thought of being able to put up/take down borders really easily. Like throwing a new ribbon on your room!

32. charly commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 2:15pm

I think if anything’s looked at and done in a fresh and inspiring way it will appeal. nothing is beyond a good designers reach. I had an inspiring lecturer at uni who was studying what makes things cool and i remember her telling us to pick something that was completely out of fashion and unimagineable to be ever thought as cool. She told us to wait and that thing would eventually become popular again. Once something has been dropped by the majority of people a small group of designers, artists, influential people will pick it up again usually with some kind of irony0, looking for something different, that subverts or offends the majority and then slowly it will become popular again as it trickles down into the main stream. Maybe this exact thing will happen with borders just like it happened with wallpapers, and millions of things before it!!! Bring it on i say!

33. Rachel commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 2:18pm

I think that every trend comes and goes in cycles and even in the dips, things will still have their hardcore fans. That being said, when I moved in here I took down FOUR ROOMS of wallpaper border and I vowed NEVER to do that to anyone. =)

34. marilyn commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I think it could work if it was die cut into shapes rather than a long thin strip of paper. Straight on top and shaped on the bottom.

35. Andy Mathis commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 3:52pm

Guilty!

Yep, I’ve put up a wallpaper border. It was 1992, and I had just bought my first house. I stripped old wallpaper off the walls, painted the cabinets white, put ceramic tile on the counter top, painted the wall dark green, and had white border at the top with raspberry vines on it.

I really liked it at the time.

I think they will make a comeback. It’s an easy do it yourself project.

Andy Mathiss last blog post: Little Pumpkins- on Yupo

36. All Things Lovely commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 5:59pm

I DEFINITELY think they can make a sucessful comeback. It’s all about what looks good, not daggy old flowers, but funky artwork to add a bit of ‘something’ to a room.

Having said that, I loved the wallpaper border I had in my room about 12 years ago, and while I’d never put the same one up again, I did like the look it gave.

Hopefully some fabulous designers will come up with something amazing, just as they’ve done with wallpaper.

All Things Lovelys last blog post: What Is This Frame Thingy Called?

37. marla commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 7:29pm

I think boarders work well when used w/other papers in hotel lobbies.
    As a statement alone… NO WAY.
    A childs room maybe. I have seen hip new decals that can be moved around a wall that are more fun.
    I didn’t know anyone in the 80’s who had these boarders? I did have blk/wht shag rugs then. The shag was so long that if you dropped change you could never find it.
    There could be a use for window displays in showrooms or stores to change w/the seasons?
    But what do i know…I only like thick white walls.(:-)

38. Diana commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 7:35pm

I don’t know if this counts as a wallpaper border, but I have been thinking about it, and I would certainly LOVE a meter-ish wide white wall paper border that is similar to all those GORGEOUS paper cut out lamp shades that are everywhere.You know the ones with flowers and butterflys.. if I could post a pic I would, by I am sure you know what I mean. I can just imagine a robin egg blue wall with a cascading white cut out border along the top. It would be like beautiful modern lace was falling off the ceiling, with just the hints of blue coming through. Of course the bottom of the border couldn’t be cut straigth, it would have to have to peaks and valley…. that wallpaper border, I would buy!!!!

39. Rikkianne commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 7:54pm

As soon I read this post, Timorous Beasties came to mind. I connected what they did with Toile to what the new borders could be…

I agree that it would be tons of fun to witness the evolution :)

Rikkiannes last blog post: DESIGN SPONGE

40. Ann commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 8:22pm

I completely believe that wallpaper borders will come back. I can’t think of anything in the past 20-30 years that has come back in some sort of fashion. Chances are, we won’t even recognize it as the wallpaper borders of the 80s.

Updated versions of wallpaper would be:
    – the actual print of the border… it’s not going to be the flowers or cows of years ago. The colors and designs could be simple. A small color palate. Silhouettes even. Flourishes. Or the overlapping of color blocks where the edges aren’t so defined on each of the color blocks. With bird silhouettes going off into the distance sporadically.
    – Laser cut edges or laser cut completely. A solid color where the design is actually cut out of the paper.
    – using the bordering to border different things… windows. Small inlayed walls. Bookshelves. Kitchen Islands.
    -placing the border lower on the wall… way lower.
    -using the border as a background in an art display
    -wallpaper borders with letters, fonts, sayings, words
    -wallpaper border sectioned into two feet (or some other size) portions so you can use a section, space it out, then another section
    -mix and match wallpaper borders…overlapping the wallpaper.
    -wallpaper border that looks like some of the awesome ribbon that’s out there.
    -borders at a different width/height than before. Let’s say they used to be 4 inches… maybe have some 1 inch or some 10 inch border.
    -textured borders.
    -borders that have an end so they don’t have to connect back to the original. maybe the end is like something that looks like: { or }.

that’s all i have for now. if someone does it right, which i really think someone can do, it definitely has the potential to be awesome.

Anns last blog post: Your Help is Desperately Needed

41. kirsten commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 9:59pm

i’m not sure if you could see me roll my eyes when i read the word ‘wallpaper’ but that was my initial thought….but as i have moved into other parts of the art world i’m realizing everything is not being used as it is intended so i’d be very interested in creative borders….that makes me stop and say “that’s a wallpaper border, i would have never guessed.”

so i guess i look at it as more of a challenge…not sure if that’s good news or not.

kirstens last blog post: silence is golden…

42. Niki commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:23pm

Wallpaper borders will probably make a comeback. But in five or 10 years everyone will be scraping them off their walls. Personally, I’d rather stick with paint. It’s cheaper and easier to change.

43. Nancy Hanke commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:29pm

Who knew wallpaper borders could bring such passion??!! I can’t say that I like them, but I do agree that some talented designer will probably come up with an idea that will have us eating our words. So I’ll stay conveniently neutral for now!

I do have some wallpaper in my kitchen that needs to come down. Anyone want to help??

Nancy Hankes last blog post: Holiday creations

44. Hana commented
    October 9th, 2008 at 11:54pm

I agree to the opinions pointed out… It depends on designs or concepts. And, it depend on our lifestyle too. Because… My little small narrow Tokyo room have no space for such a decoration. Ahh.

But it is sure that the imported wallpaper exist here anyway,
    mostly imported from France, Belgium, Italy, Britain, and Germany. These are ‘Moisture-proof paper’ or just vinyls. NO PROBLEM. But the U.S.A. papers seems to be a.. simply ‘Paper’. Prejudice? Maybe. But I don’t want to use it on Sweaty wall of my room… sorry. So, the diligent research might be necessary before making it, if that designer are thinking about selling it all over the world. At least in Asia, U.S.-made wallpapers never became popular before, regardless of many good design. In my thought, it was not only because of design. And it seems not at all to have evolved.

On the other hand, I love patterned papers, and am concealing many piece of foreign wallpapers in my camera dampproof shelf. It is TOTALLY depending on the design. For example… I want this wallpapers sample books. (samples came from Germany and Canada. issued by the Japasene paper sliding door shop, in 1930.)
    Yes, ‘sliding door shop’. Old times, people in here used it as a Doorpaper. So, if you ask it as a room decoration style, my answer is “NO” too. But I know such generality is in paper products. In my thought, only when the place to use it is limited by the design or designer, other lifestyed people will be perplexed.

45. Courtney commented
    October 10th, 2008 at 12:17am

i think it will probably come back but with a twist say in shapes or for other parts of the wall…not just at the top or middle…
    thank being said we bought a gorgeous border from Ikea in 1999 that had Shakespeare quotes on it and put it in the kitchen…when we sold the house in 2005 people still loved it….

Courtneys last blog post: Big Cleanup

46. Courtney commented
    October 10th, 2008 at 12:24am
  47. Leigh commented
    October 10th, 2008 at 3:38am

I am a fan of the murals and maybe wallpaper on one wall as an accent, but not so much on the borders, I am in the process of removing textured wallpaper in a house right now and wow it is on there, giving me a lot of work. But yes it just depends on the taste of a room, and well borders would be easier to remove down the road LOL..

48. Elizabeth commented
    October 10th, 2008 at 5:40am

Oh the memories of some of the horrid designs!
    Wallpaper borders could be one of the most accessible ways to customize your home. So whilst not everyone will necessarily create something chic, smart or contemporary, it’s nice that people who wouldn’t normally get creative with their home, are encouraged to play with their space.

I can see wallpaper borders coming back. In my opinion they could look great in a nursery, kids room, kitchen, or even a sun room or conservatory.

Elizabeths last blog post: ‘limpid’ (Word of the Day)

49. Ashlie commented
    October 10th, 2008 at 12:35pm

Although I normally cant stand borders for the same reasons you stated I think they could come back if done right. They always seem to be gaudy and tacky but you never know. I couldnt stand wallpaper for a long time and now Im thinking about wallpapering in my house.

50. gayla commented
    October 11th, 2008 at 11:46am

I personally do not care for wallpaper borders, but would like to see some beautifully designed ones on the market. I am moving to a new apartment this weekend and there are borders in the kitchen and bathroom. I think they are quite ugly! My new landlord will not allow me to remove them or replace them with a design of my preference. I figured I would try to use double stick tape to tape a new border over the old (thus allowing me to have something closer to my taste, but to leave the landlords choice intact) Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to find anything that is attractive to me. I may have to create my own or put up with the uglies! I really wish I had some attractive (and more modern than the country motif that seems to be the norm) options to buy from someone else.

51. Kim commented
    October 12th, 2008 at 12:26am

I think Wall Paper Borders will make a huge comeback in 2009. Yes we have seen them before but the pattern and designs that will be sold will differ in so many ways. I do not have any but am open to this kind of decorating if new and stylish designs are available.

52. Steve commented
    October 15th, 2008 at 4:50pm

I think the mistake most people make with wallpaper borders is where they put them on the wall… like halfway up from the floor so the wall is subdivided into two equal parts (practically)! If it is to be a wainscot border, the place to put them is about 30-34 inches up from the floor, (if your ceiling height is 8-10 ft.) and then by paint a color underneath that is darker in value from the upper wall. Or, of course, place them at the top of the wall, (just shy of the ceiling, so you don’t accentuate any irregularities there) and paint with a harmonious color, probably much duller than what appears in the border. If narrow, you can also panelize them for a formal or French look.
    Then you should enjoy more border bliss…

53. tj commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 6:51pm

Wallpaper boarders whether in-style or not at the moment, do not, by their very nature belong on walls. They are a abomination cast upon us by the tasteless.
    You should no sooner add a decorative (used loosely) boarder to a wall than you would on your car. Does it seem a little coincidental that cars are typically one color? It’s because those who design cars do so because they have good taste and wouldn’t last a day trying to sell cars with ANY kind of boarder. You laugh, but it’s the same concept. Just as some music is fundamentally bad music (whether you like the style or not), assaulting a space such as a wall with a disproportionately sized pattern at the very top of the wall is just Wrong. It would be like an artist who lays out his canvas and then paints something along the top two inches! He would be considered either an Idiot or a Genius…and thus we’ve come full circle in identifying the delusion of the wallpaper boarder….The genius of Idiocy

54. createmo commented
    November 1st, 2008 at 9:53pm

I made with photoshop backgrounds for myspace and youtube and more
    my backgrounds:http://tinyurl.com/5ajonc
    have a good day and thank you again!

55. bluecat commented
    November 5th, 2008 at 6:44pm

I think they will make a come back, my 19 year old son is decorating his bedroom, and looking to put up a border. He is having terrible trouble finding something that suits his style, he would like to have a celtic cross boarder but cannot find one anywhere, so maybe if there was different designs that would suit men I think you could be onto a winner.

56. Francesca commented
    November 28th, 2008 at 4:48pm

I got so sick of seeing ugly cluttering wall paper in the ’80s and ’90s that I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I sarted only seeing those border things. At least they’re not wall paper is my motto. People have certainly gotten more tasteful since the ’90s before when we thought piling one busy pattern on top of another was “pretty.”

57. fran commented
    June 1st, 2010 at 11:44am

I came across this blog today. What a great discussion. I find decorating with wallpaper and borders to be a personal choice. So many people have just plain painted walls. Then, you go into a friend’s house and it feels inviting and cozy it is because they have added a touch of wallpaper or border to their decor.

Pretty nin deed.