Bloggers

Record The Day Blog

October 13, 2008

Need a Monday morning pick-me-up today? Looking for a creative outlet that is inexpensive, easy, fun, and a way for you to connect with others or to simply inspire yourself? Many of you know the creative Jess as the lady behind the lovely Lobster and Swan blog and from her etsy shop… but did you know that she maintains another blog as well? Oh yes, it is called Record The Day and it’s very, VERY inspirational. {Warning: Jess may inspire you to start recording your day as well.} Her blog contains little text and lots of gorgeous collages that she pulls together to give you a glimpse of her day translated into papers of all shapes, sizes, textures, and colors.

Record The Day Blog

This is a brilliant idea, a very visual journal, a great way to record your life if you don’t always feel like writing. I’d like to experiment with something like this as a personal project or as a way to share my day with my Flickr contacts. I already have a large empty journal that would be the perfect place for something like this. Would you like to share your day visually too? Why not give this idea a try.

Record The Day BlogRecord The Day BlogRecord The Day BlogRecord The Day BlogRecord The Day Blog

Paste, tape, staple… receipts, photos, torn pages from magazines, a train ticket, a mood board recording the thoughts and experiences had during the day… I really love this as a form of blogging as well and think that Record The Day is absolutely lovely. Thank you Jess for putting your wonderful self out into the world, we are all so inspired by you!

(images from jess from record the day)

You Might Also Like

31 Comments

• Reply heather smith jones October 13, 2008 at 9:49 am

You are so right, Jess has a wonderfully beautiful way of arranging things, from her home, to the items in her shop, to this journal. She is an inspiration and it’s fabulous to see her here this morning! Thank you!

heather smith joness last blog post: Inspired : 8

• Reply elvis robertson October 13, 2008 at 9:50 am

how lovely to see this post about record the day and the lovely jess. It was your flickr stream that sent me across here, really pleased to read/see this.

elvis robertsons last blog post: Anna Torma – embroidery

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 13, 2008 at 9:52 am

Oh, lovely sweet Jess….I am inspired by her as well and think this is SUCH a great idea. So wonderful….thank you for sharing. Off to check out “Record the day.”
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Diana October 13, 2008 at 10:07 am

Beautiful! A wonderful way to start the week :-)

Dianas last blog post: Joy, Awe, and Wonder

• Reply nichole October 13, 2008 at 10:11 am

I adore lobster and swan, and derive copious amounts of inspiration from Jess.

nicholes last blog post: Lil Fish Studios

• Reply Luphia October 13, 2008 at 10:16 am

these posts are so unique and beautifull !

Luphias last blog post: Silk Cushions

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) October 13, 2008 at 10:31 am

what a great idea – I love it! I use tons of pictures on my website so I totally understand wanting to tell a story by using pictures.

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Monday Musings – Growing Older

• Reply Holly October 13, 2008 at 10:39 am

Wow! What an awesome way to record the day. Thanks for introducing me to yet another blog I will become addicted to. ;)

Hollys last blog post: I’m in love with RED.

• Reply Morgan October 13, 2008 at 10:43 am

I recently discovered her photostream and shop and fell in love. I adore her blog, what a fun idea! I’m definitely going to have to modify it for myself.

Morgans last blog post: the clouds lifted print 8×10

• Reply Tina October 13, 2008 at 11:49 am

Holly, that is such a great post! Many days I feel as if I should write in a journal,but it seems like drudgery! This is a fun and creative way to look forward to doing it~and then blog or flickr it!
    Perfect!
    I must go see Jess’ blog now!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tina

Tinas last blog post: ~The Studio Reveal~

• Reply Mary October 13, 2008 at 12:45 pm

What a wonderful idea! I am going to try this for sure. Thanks.

Marys last blog post: Green Damask Pillow Cover 16 inch

• Reply Mary October 13, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Oops, I should have put this as my website.

Marys last blog post: Best Gifts on Etsy for Bird Lovers!

• Reply FC October 13, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I am in love!!! What a great idea… and your right I think Jess has inspired me to start something like this of my own.

FCs last blog post: pUPscale style is my ?Daily Candy?

• Reply Carrie October 13, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Love this idea SO much!! I started my blog after staring at my many vision boards and loads of magazine clippings and blank journals thinking it would be fun to share pictures of the pages I made with all the various pictures that inspire me. After seeing her blog, I’m thinking I really must do what I’d imagined myself doing. After all, collaging has been the single creative thing I have come back to over the years, i’ve been doing it since I was a kid. Not sure how she comes up with SO much material for each day, it’s really great!! Thank you again for sharing. Ditto to Holly (commenter #8) said… yet another blog you’ve introduced me to as well that surely I will become addicted to!

Carries last blog post: birthday surprise!!!

• Reply Fanciful Alice October 13, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Wow, what a beautiful idea. Sometimes I just don’t have the energy to write and I’m thinking I could do this for my daughter. Maybe even once a month (there could be a lot if we did it daily from now on – she’s 18 months!) just go round picking up bits, adding in things we’ve done, writing, stamping etc. At the moment I write a diary for her monthly, but I think the visual expect is really lovely. I feel truly inspired – thank you!

• Reply brand-eye October 13, 2008 at 2:00 pm

that is a sweet idea. i would never be able to do it daily, but weekly might work.

brand-eyes last blog post: 2135 home

• Reply Jeska October 13, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Hello sweet Holly, thank you for posting about record the day this is such a wonderful surprise at the end of my day.

I hope you having as great a week as mine is turning out to be!

Jeskas last blog post: Home coming gifts

• Reply marn October 13, 2008 at 2:40 pm

This is so lovely and inspiring. I keep a book of sketches, ideas and inspiration. I think I will have to incorporate more collages like this!

marn?s last blog post: helpful advice

• Reply Rachel October 13, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Oh I LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

Rachels last blog post: Winners of the Purple Lemon Designs Giveaway

• Reply Uncle Beefy October 13, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Jess has been propping up my levels of inspiration for some time and I am SOOOO happy that you’ve featured her here, Holly! Isn’t her stuff so great? And those wonderful little collections in her Etsy shop are too sweet.

Uncle Beefys last blog post: Glamtastic!

• Reply belinda October 13, 2008 at 5:01 pm

how sweet! i might have to give this a go at some stage, only i’d imagine i’d spend most of day creating the collage, so what to inclde in it? ha! she’s obviously mastered the art to be able to do daily!! x

belindas last blog post: eye candy: clair wayman

• Reply Juxtaposition Design October 13, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Gosh I wish i had the time and dedication to do this daily! I’ve always wanted to have an ongoing daily sketch book/scrapbook type deal, in fact I think I own about 6 blank books for this purpose… :(

Juxtaposition Designs last blog post: Stats

• Reply puglyfeet October 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm

She inspired me to keep ALL my old magazines should I one day find the time to record my day. Her blog is lovely!

• Reply casapinka October 14, 2008 at 8:53 am

This is so inspirational. I love her colors and this idea. Thank you for sharing this it really brought a smile to my face. Oh, and I love how you put that vintage piece on one side of your kitchen across from the Ikea – Your apt. is looking just beautiful!

casapinkas last blog post: Fornasetti Bathroom

• Reply sarathira October 14, 2008 at 10:02 am

what a brilliantly awesome idea!! i dread writing in journals, so this would put use the cutouts that ive collected so nicely! thank you so much for the idea holly, i would love to try it asap!

sarathiras last blog post:

• Reply KeRRi October 14, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Oh, I absolutely love this idea! My 12 yr. old daughter wants to be a fashion designer and a writer. I think this might be just the thing that we could do together…something creative and inspirational, in addition to Polyvore…which we’re both addicted to ;).

I really like the idea of having it be something tangible rather than just on the computer. I am imagining framing the different themes as art. Can’t wait to get started!

KeRRis last blog post: 2 ViNTaGe 1950's FReNCH FRaNCe BLaCK EiFFeL ToWeR CHaRM PeNDaNTs

• Reply Sue October 14, 2008 at 6:03 pm

What a fantastic idea and a beautiful selection of collages, i’ve always wanted to keep a journal but have sometimes been a little unsure of what to write, this seems like much more my thing. Thanks for sharing this great blog with us.

Sues last blog post: Hot Pink Circles Card

• Reply collette October 14, 2008 at 9:34 pm

off the charts, fantastic. i LOVE this. so simple, fun, sweet all rolled into one. thanks Holly for sharing this.
    xo

collettes last blog post: knitting 101

• Reply catherine October 15, 2008 at 6:22 pm

This blog,which I try to look at everyday, is also a kind of Record The Day, have a look : http://www.treatsandtreasures.com/.

catherines last blog post: Liselotte Watkins

• Reply Ellie October 16, 2008 at 2:21 pm

These are wonderful! Lately, my ‘visual diary’ would either have to be on the computer or would require a lot of ink from my printer…. :) yikes.

Ellies last blog post: wolfie & the sneak

• Reply uritiateDautt December 19, 2008 at 5:52 pm

good resourse Anyway by sight very much it is pleasant to me