Highlights from RUM magazine

Sidsel from the Spagat design studio in Denmark sent me a gorgeous interiors magazine called RUM featuring design and homes from all over the world. I am really enjoying this magazine with my tea this morning Sidsel, so thank you!

As I was flipping through it I found lots of good links to share with all of you since few have access to RUM magazine. Time for a little show and tell from me and of course RUM!

Ferm Living has a new collection of wallpaper and I found the beautiful Fairy Flowers on page 122. Oh my goodness! oh my goodness! OH. MY. GOODNESS. Get the point!? I’m dying to own this wallpaper. I cannot take my eyes off of it. I’ve been adding in gold accents into my living room lately so seeing this made me quite excited as it’s so fresh and the patterns make me drool… This is on my wish list for sure. I want to paper my kitchen with this now or my bedroom. P.S. Ferm also has a new kids collection here.

Next up is the new Cycle of Life pouf from Nicolette Brunklaus in Holland. I love this modern take on poufs incorporating photography into the design. Very nice. She has new pendants in her collection too. I’ve been following her work for a few years now and just love how she uses photographs in most of her work, it’s really inspirational to see photos used on household items without it looking tacky. Her modern laser cut pendants are great looking as well and also a new addition to her line.

Ah Andrew Tanner… What you do to me! This contemporary ceramicist blows my mind. Look at these plates, created back in 2005 but still relevant today. I think this is amazing work and a great example of being original.

I also found a kids shop in Copenhagen called Cr?me de la Cr?me ? la Edgar. I want so badly to book a flight and go up there for the weekend in November. It’s only 45 minutes by plane…

I also found out about Steen Drabik and his artwork that he shows on his website called Stonys. I LOVE his mobiles, you should see it in person – wow! Steen is super artistic, I really can get into his work and loved reading his interview over at the Saatchi Gallery. His work is really out there and I appreciate that because it is uniquely Steen.

Another fun link I found was an etsy seller called Odelia Lavie who is currently in the spotlight on their website. I was so surprised to find an etsy seller in the spotlight of such a posh design magazine. I LOVE seeing this, it’s really amazing as years ago the only names you’d see were the big guys. Now smaller independent designers sit near the great ones. Yay Indie! Odelia Lavie is from Jerusalem and designs fun softies that have a bit of an artsy vibe — they could live alongside contemporary art so I’m thinking parents that are drawn towards more modern things would really like to have Odelia’s dolls in their home. These are great for the kids with all the shapes and colors but equally fun for those without children because softie love knows no age – my grandmother still gets excited when I visit her with plush toys.

Someone once wrote to me after reading a post I had written about softies and she thought that most people consider them childish and that this holds her back from owning them. I’d like to quickly address this concern. You cannot live to please the design tastes of others — only the taste that you have and love should be embraced and shown in your home. I am so tired of mainstream design lately that I almost want to encourage a bit of rebellion — be YOURSELF and put things around in your home that reflect your unique self. I guess I’ve always encouraged this on decor8 which is why I show a diversity of styles here, but I thought I’d voice this today because there is no better time to start living in a home that sings your life than NOW. There is no future point when you are allowed to love your home. And there is no looking back to a home you once enjoyed more than your current place. Today is when you should consider where and how you live and what little things you can do to create an environment that gives back to you. A place that encourages, refreshes, stimulates, gives you pleasure and a sense of well being. I had a conversation with a lady over the weekend (who will go unnamed) and she kept telling me how she hates her apartment, this or that isn’t perfect enough, and so she is working extra hard to save for the home of her dreams that she will own in a few years. In the meantime, she admitted, “I’m comfortable being uncomfortable”. In other words, she is content to be miserable as she has a goal ahead. This bothered me very much. I think that part of the idea of having a dream is to enjoy the process of living in the ‘what if’ moment. You know, like it’s more fun sometimes to dream than to actually have. I dream of many things and often the dream is satisfying enough. When the reality of hopes unfold,? often we are no longer excited because we have ‘it’ now. Then we’re onto the next dream! I think dreams are rewarding and should be had, you should aim high and hope and wish and work hard for the ‘next’ step in life that you want to take. But to simply wait for that time to occur without really living today is not the best way to enjoy life in my opinion. Years slip through the fingers so quickly. So if you have an apartment or home you dislike, or you live in a city or country that you do not enjoy, set a plan to make changes in the near future but while the plans are working themselves out, look for ways to improve your life today. Find ways to enjoy what you have now. The grass is always greener they say. I hope what I’ve said here doesn’t come across as preachy or ‘know it all’. I am not a therapist but I have lived in many homes and apartments and states and now I’m in two countries living in each part-time, so I have some life experience to support my words. Enjoy your home today as it is, do little things to make it better, look for ways to enhance what you have, and keep dreaming and working for your future. Please do not settle into this thinking of being comfortable in an uncomfortable life. This is also how I would answer anyone who asks me if being an adult (without children) and owning softies is okay. Own whatever makes you happy. Don’t wait until you have children to own softies. You don’t need an excuse! :) Okay… Enough on that!

A few things I noticed in RUM magazine… Lots of floral motifs, cut out patterns on lights, plates, you name it — silhouettes are still hot… Also many different takes on poufs, seems like they are all the rage and for good reason, they are very practical and can be used in so many different ways, stack them as a side table, use one for a coffee table, sit on them, place them at the foot of your bed or beneath a entry table as ‘spare’ additional seating or in place of a bench. They really are great!

I’ll be back in a few hours with Etsy Take Five Tuesday, so stay tuned for that! :)

(images linked to sources above)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, Books + Magazines, travel on October 14, 2008

1. Jennifer commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 1:50pm

I’m in love! I’m in the middle of putting together my new living room and it’s certainly inspired me.

Jennifers last blog post: More Sneak Peaks!

2. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 1:51pm

Where to begin? First of all, I left all kinds of annoying comments on your flickr looking at all these fun designers you found, secondly I ADORE the name of that children’s shop(from one of my daughter’s all time favorite movies The Aristocats) and so wish I could visit! Then your wise, wise words about homes and how one lives in them…..I believe very much in the sentiment of make your home one that makes you happy and in the end that is what I always come back to….my home is not for everyone but, it makes me happy and I am constantly striving to make it more an expression of who I am and what I hold dear but, loving it in the meantime as well! Thank you for this Holly….well said my dear!
    xoxo
    Melissa

3. Rachel commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 1:58pm

FABULOUS! Thanks so much for sharing. I love peaking into magazines I can’t get here.

Rachels last blog post: Halloween Roundup 2008.10.14

4. magikquilter commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 2:11pm

I love all the cushions as I am a texture lover but the wallpaper is incredible.
    I wonder if you have thought of having something actually painted onto the wall….looks like the sort of abstract artwork which would look quite good..also the wall paper border idea but with this along the bottom of the wall would look wonderful.

magikquilters last blog post: The Deepika Scrolls

5. Rikkianne commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 2:32pm

This is a wonderful post! Thank you. I recently read that the best design comes from the heart. The things that you collect, love, and display get the most attention by you and everyone else. Conversation about those things start with sweet memories, interesting bits about how they were made, or simply who gave it to you and why…..Things that are loved really do shine!

Rikkiannes last blog post: Cheers!

6. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 3:00pm

Looks like a great magazine! And I love the cycle of life items (although I couldn’t find the pendants?) – beautiful!

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Favorite Time of the Year

7. Dovely commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 4:14pm

omg that wall paper is insanely gorgeous…. i want!! NOW!!!

Dovelys last blog post: Before and After Inspiration

8. Kim Bagwill (aka The Frantic Meerkat) commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 4:17pm

I agree with you on loving where you live. My fiance and I are both artists and neither of our families would make the same decorating choices we’ve made (a sculpture of a brass human skull in the entryway), but we like it. No one has to live in your house but you, and that’s who should enjoy it the most.

Kim Bagwill (aka The Frantic Meerkat)s last blog post: Am I Pretty?

9. Anna @ D16 commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 4:40pm

I know, I’m DYING over that new Ferm wallpaper, too!!! I think it’s going in my bedroom. (Can you imagine it in a white room with some wood…some pink…and a little black?)

Anna @ D16s last blog post: It was really nothing.

10. Elizabeth Wright commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 8:08pm

i agree with your sentiments totally about ‘dreaming’. what a sad place this world would be if we did not have dreams! maybe part of the economic problems at present are that so many want it perfect and they want it now. i enjoy the eclectic look and surrounding yourself with what makes you comfy.

Elizabeth Wrights last blog post: the book writers

11. betz commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 10:13pm

Great post regarding enjoying and making your place express the ‘now’ you. That was my mother’s philospophy when I was growing up as we moved a lot. Live in each place like you will live there forever.

12. Elizabeth commented
    October 14th, 2008 at 10:25pm

Hi Holly, I don’t believe I have ever commented on your blog before, but I am a great fan of Decor8 and HausMaus (a possible dream to live in germany one day too!)..I had to comment today after reading this particular post as it resonated with me so much on the “idea” of creating your perfect home or waiting to create your perfect home. I so understand the concept of living in the ‘here and now’ and love how you expressed this so eloquently, I too am an Interior Designer and philosophise on this regularly with clients..I may just direct them to your blog…Thanks for your constant inspiration. Cheers, Lil

Elizabeths last blog post: This is …..My current reading material.

13. Ez commented
    October 15th, 2008 at 12:29am

This post really captured my heart Holly! And you know it comes at a perfect time; as I was just musing to you about the sad state of the town I live in. I truly couldn’t agree more, and hope to remember these wise words of yours each time I am struggling to find happiness and contentedness in my current surroundings. Thank you for sharing from your heart Holly! You are a treasure to us all!
    xox
    Ez

Ezs last blog post: Lars and the real girl…

14. C commented
    October 15th, 2008 at 1:16am

Creme de la creme a la edgar, how cute! this is a reference to the Disney movie, The Aristocats – the shop window also has two little kitties on it, so I imagine the owner has a soft spot for the movie (or her children do) – cutest name and best Disney reference I’ve seen in a while!

15. Redcrow commented
    October 15th, 2008 at 3:36am

Thank you for your words “You cannot live to please the design tastes of others ? only the taste that you have and love should be embraced and shown in your home”

It is so easy to get caught up in the ‘likes of others’. I find that it also relates to other parts of our life as well as our home. Often I get caught up in trying to please others at times while doing my own design work and yet when I do it for myself I get so much more interest and excitement from others than when I try to please the masses and follow trends.

Your blog is amazing and so inspirational. Thank you for bringing to light so many amazing people, products and design that sometimes does not get the recognition it deserves.

Redcrows last blog post: The Natural Dye.

16. michelle commented
    October 15th, 2008 at 11:21am

i have the same ikea vase in the ferm living photo with the same flower in it on my book shelf right now

michelles last blog post: Best of Met Home November ’08

17. annkent commented
    October 15th, 2008 at 11:38am

I think that sometimes we see beautiful images and desire to live in them now, I do! Often, however, for practical reasons, we are unable to replicate that setting and so … we are disappointed in the present. However, we need not be … we can bring pieces of looks we love into our lives. We just need to be creative about it. Holly provides a wonderful example in her post about decorating her kitchen. She found her fabulous cupboard on Ebay and the wonderful modern furnishings at IKEA. Then she filled her kitchen with things she loves … special towels, dishes, art, and even flea market finds! Holly, you also spoke (I believe) of sewing a roman blind! I am sure all would agree that we love Holly’s kitchen and would like it for our own. However, the challenge (and the fun) is to be creative in bringing pieces of what we love into our life in such a way that it expresses us and our desires. The reality is that even if we could recreate an image that speaks to us so fiercely in its entirety, it would represent another’s vision. By tweaking it to become our own (whether by ordering the iron campaign bed from PBKids rather than the pricey but lovely french antique; letting our children draw on the antique settee with Sharpies; or by ordering a softie in lieu of a popular print) — that is how our home becomes lovely; inviting and special to us and then often noticeable to others.

18. Kelly commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 1:53am

Yes! Great post! I so agree on living in and designing your home for you, in a way that makes you happy…not to create an impression or any other such thing that you think your home “should” be for others.

19. Jennifer commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 5:51pm

My first post on your blog…great you discovered RUM. Relatively new mag in Denmark with loads of design details and so inspirational. Copenhagen has alot to offer…… maybe the next stop for a decor8 get together?

Jennifers last blog post: The Danish baby bed linen trend