How Do You Handle Inspiration Overload?

I’m still feeling the warm glow from yesterday’s inspiration that came from Living & More magazine and Birgitta Wolfgang Drejer. I wish so badly that I could share each and every page of this German decorating magazine with you as the photos are just so super stunning and I really enjoy the crafty projects as they are easy and fun to do. I’m off to the craft store today to pick up some doilies to work on a small project that I saw in the magazine, if it comes out well I will post photos tomorrow so you can see it. I think that if you have a magazine in hand that gives you inspiration for days, fuels your imagination, and gets you moving in a forward motion you have found a great resource. Rarely do I feel this way from magazines these days. I was buying each and every issue of home magazines from this country and that country and now I’m not feeling it anymore. I need MORE. Often they still feel so snooty to me, like I’m not part of the club. I need to connect with other readers or the homes that I am seeing and not feel a huge gap between THEM and ME. I don’t feel as inspired by rooms I know I’ll never be able to live in — I never expect to buy a $15,000 coffee table and I’m totally okay with that. I doubt I’ll ever have the Malibu beach house overlooking the Pacific. I think that it’s important to be happy with what you have, no matter how humble, and cherish that space you’re in. Oftentimes a lifestyle is crammed down our throats that in reality, we really do not want but we think we want it because it’s being presented as ‘the’ way to live.

I want to address something I’ve found as a negative when it comes to design magazines, shows, even design blogs. Of course, I’m a silver-lined happy cloud (he he) so I have 1,000 positives for every negative meaning that despite my view being a bit of a downer here, I still continue to author a design blog and be part of a community that I love and cherish. I don’t plan to depress anyone by saying this… I think in every relationship there is always some negative aspects, even in a marriage or friendship. It’s part of life. So I’ll just put it out there. Do you ever feel like there is too much going on out there that you’ll never catch up? There are soooo many things you see, want, love, are dying to make, dying to do, but often feel overwhelmed by it all? Yeah, me too. I totally do. I was thinking today in the craft store as I was trying to find candles for this project I’m working on that it’s important to pause and not run yourself absolutely into a hole trying to get “it all done”. I think that we as women can easily turn inspiration into this twisty vine that chokes us called competition. Either with others or with ourselves, as weird as that sounds. I also think that YEARS ago before blogs and great magazines like Domino and Living Etc. I was almost content in my bubble that the way I decorated and the way my parents decorated was just fine — we had little back then to compare our decorating to I guess. Now it’s different. The second we finish our living room design we see something in the home of another person even on a blog or in a magazine, on television, wherever and instantly feel like we need to change something. We aren’t happy with the hardwood oak floors, now we saw a magazine with high gloss black wood floors and that’s ALL WE THINK ABOUT. Of course until we have the black floors and then we see a photo of someone else who did something ultra clever like stencil their floors with a doily pattern or something. See where I’m heading with this? It’s called a disease people and we all have it. We want our fix and there are hundreds of publications ready to give it to us. Which brings me to ask you…

How do you personally manage all of the information and ideas that you are exposed to on a daily basis so as to be somewhat productive? I stick diligently to lists and I often do not allow myself to move onto another project without first finishing what I’ve started. Mother always said that now didn’t she? “Finish what you start!” I also work very hard to filter everything I see and decide what exactly I should use and what is not perhaps practical and leave the idea alone. I think mood boards are VERY effective. Whenever I have a project, for instance decorating my apartment or someone else’s, I spend months collecting ideas and placing them all into folders and clear plastic sleeves in a binder and over time I start to see a definite pattern and then I know I have tapped into the exact look I need to begin shopping for. That’s exactly how I pulled together my current kitchen. I had a mood board, spiral bound notebooks, a very exact vision in my head and despite all the zillions of kitchens I’ve seen that I’ve loved since I started collecting inspiration for my own, I did not give in to impulse – I stuck to my guns and now I’ve pulled together a kitchen that really works for me and my husband and I like how it looks, how I stayed under budget by $4,000, and that in the end it is ME and my vision.

So again I ask… How do you turn what some consider a negative (inspiration overload) into a positive? Any specific things that you do that may help other readers? How do you feel personally about all the rooms and objects galore that saturate the internet these days, do you enjoy having so much access to design around the world or does it sometime make you want to hide your head under the covers because you do not know where to start?

(image by holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in real talk on October 16, 2008

1. Trina commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 2:15pm

I absolutely know how you feel Holly, I was going through this exact same experience just last week.

I had gotten to the point where I felt as if my brain was going to explode. I had so many idea’s, products, industry event, and thoughts racing through my head that I could barely see straight. So, I took a few days off to relax my mind, and my soul, and after just one day, my thoughts organized themselves into a couple of neat lists.

I keep a spiral notebook with me constantly. If a think of a new idea, or see something new online, I write it down immediately, or even send myself an email. I also keep an email folder for new ideas as well, as refer back to it every so often.

I do think the market is oversaturated as well, but it’s the few that stand out from all the other’s that we’re all rushing to talk about, don’t you think? I’ve set some boundaries for myself, and am sticking to them, otherwise i’ll be blogging until i’m 200 years old !

Trinas last blog post: Pumpkin Whimsy

2. Melissa commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 2:52pm

I agree with you Holly. I feel like I’m on overload every day. This includes my art and when decorating my home. I come up with many different projects to try, but it becomes so overwhelming I find it hard to know where to start. And I always see great decorating ideas. I’ve discovered that I like a lot of different decorating styles modern, country/rustic, etc. I’ve decided to incorporate my love for all styles and buy what I like. It may sit in my home for a while unused, but I eventually find a place for it. I try to find things that are interesting and unique. I found an old bird cage that I painted lime green. That usually gets a lot of attention.

So how do I manage information and ideas? A lot of lists, Post-it notes, it can get a little crazy. I rip pages out of magazines and put them in a folder. I save paint chips.

Every time I visit my mother her house looks so nice. Very simple but interesting. I always tell her so and she always tells me that it took many years to collect the things she has. Many trips to flea markets and antique stores. It can be hard when I?m staring at a really drab room in my house (especially when on a really tight budget). But I know everything will come together in time.

Melissas last blog post: Popina Swimwear

3. Desiree commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 2:53pm

Hi Holly, I first want to say how much I love reading your blogs. I recently started back at the very beginning and am trying to read every single post start to finish. Anyway, I was thinking about asking you about something I’ve been extremely frustrated with lately, but then I found this post. My thing is I love so many design styles and don’t know how to stick with one or two. And I seriously have the disease big time. As soon as I see something else whether thru blog, magazine, tv, I just get overwhelmed. I give up and don’t finish a room and plus I know I’ll want to change it soon after. I like the idea of starting a binder though. What to do if you can’t decide on a design style because you like too many?? any suggestions will help. I’m just a beginner who just wants to make my home feel cozy and put together. Right now it feels all over the place.

Desirees last blog post: Ooh La Le Creuset!

4. Marisa and Creative Thursday commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 2:56pm

Oh ~ such a great topic, Holly! So much to say on this one, but really when I think about it, it comes down to one thing and that is that we are living in a new age where the availability to everything at lightening quick speed is SO much more than it used to be. And this means that we are standing in a place where we have to adjust to the impact this has on our lives, both positive and negative.

Of course, like you I tend to lean towards the positive and at the end of the day I absolutely LOVE being able to glimpse into so many people’s homes, especially the ones that are not quite so styled as in many of the current magazines. I completely agree with your point about magazines, well the media in general presenting a certain lifestyle that we are all supposed to be living and if not living, aspiring to. And within that you can either be inspired and encouraged to see what others have attained because sometimes you wouldn’t know what was possible if someone hadn’t accomplished it ~ or you can feel completely inadequate if you haven’t achieved it yet, which the longer you live you realize that acquiring your own sense of peace, is about as good as it gets. But I digress… :)

I really enjoy seeing people’s “real” homes. And blogs have allowed us to see an entire range of lifestyles in which people are happy and content. I also truly appreciate the access to so much creative product and design that at a time not so long ago, I might not have ever had the chance to see ~ so I especially appreciate all the blogs out there who make these discoveries and share them with the rest of us. (thank you!)

With that said there are times when I get overloaded and I just step back a bit from all of it. This helps me find my balance again within my own 4 walls and then when I’m ready I head back out to take in more beautiful images.

And really I just need to step back when I compare too much, either my home, acquisitions and even myself and my creations, and let that make me feel not enough. That is the second point I want to make, that I think we are at a time when how we handle comparison has to evolve ~ how I’m not entirely sure yet ~ but if you let it, it can get the best of you. So at some point, a decision has to be made to go out into the world, appreciating what is out there, as well as appreciating all that you already have and looking forward to how the images we all have access us to continues to inspire us.

Finally, a quick note on acquiring things ~ I like your idea of collecting a lot of what inspires you and letting what you love most of all come to the surface. I do this too, and it makes the process of discovering your “perfect” piece fun and I also find that when I purchase one of those pieces that I absolutely LOVE in every way, I tend to love it endlessly ~ even when I discover other amazing new things.

Marisa and Creative Thursdays last blog post: 2009 Calendar

5. Pethra p? Inredningsbloggen commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I can relate to what you say. I sometimes need to take a break, a day or two without design blogs, magazines etc. That works for me. I read a novel that has nothing to do with design. And I try to enjoy the moment, not every idea has to be realized, it is great to just have ideas and enjoy them as such. It?s like learning not to take pictures of everything on your vacation, to be able to relive it again afterwards. Somehow you loose part of the experience by trying to keep it forever. Sitting in a chair, thinking creative thoughts, imagining a painting you would like to paint, that is quality in life, even though the painting my never be more than an idea in your head.

Pethra p? Inredningsbloggens last blog post: Dekorera f?r h?sten

6. St?phanie commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:01pm

Oh! I have this problem too, I have been” behind” with my targets for as long as I started my business…But I think there is a moment when you have to choose, just like people who tend to date plenty of potential partners before they realise that you can’t keep ALL your options open and live a loving long term relationship at the same time!!! And the same goes for reading, we ‘ll never be able to read every book worth reading or see every film, because we are limited by time and space…Just like too much freedom can be overwhelming, too much inspiration can kill your instinct.My recipe would be to keep in mind what limits you in what you want to achieve to give a sense of direction to design (ie :put the priorities of the design in order, cost effectiveness, practicability, wow factor, versatility; what is the most important factor for you) In a funny way, I have noticed that people who are the most constrained (by a limited budget, or by limited space) tend to develop treasure of inventiveness to get around it.

St?phanies last blog post: Fancy a little nap?

7. Joanna commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:01pm

I share the same sentiments! When I am feeling overwhelmed with inspiration, projects and overstimulation, I retreat to nature and poetry or inspiring words. Watching the sparrows outside my window and feeling the breeze while walking outside help me to remember that “Nature does not hurry yet everything is accomplished.” (Lao Tzu). Usually in those moments of quiet reflection, peace and clarity take over and my intentions seem more clear and my direction focused…all other distractions are simply carried away with the wind. It’s hard to remember to take at least 10 mins out everyday to just relax, I struggle with it daily…but I think it really helps to keep us focused.

Joannas last blog post: Gloriosa Gals } Wedding Inspiration

8. radish commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:02pm

Good point, and it’s so easy to be overwhelmed! I try to cut and glue things that catch my eye and inspire me into a notebook — that way I catalogue what interests me and also ear-mark it for a future project. Personally I cannot work on one thing and finish it before starting another because inspiration comes to me in waves. I need to have several projects on the burner. That is also how I tend to cook and do other projects. In my case, when I moved into my new apt 2 months ago, i moved into a place without a single piece of furniture, or rather to be precise, moved with my clothes, my books and my KitchenAid mixer — I had to quickly get a few staple items so that i could start living in the apt.. but as i look to furnish and personalize it further, i have to be on the look out for not just bedroom stuffs, but also living room, kitchen and whatnot. Because i am going to take all the time in the world to surround myself only with those things that make me truly happy, it will be a long work in progress – and that’s okay. But that means that I can’t finish one thing before starting another.

radishs last blog post: blueberry cake

9. Rachel commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:07pm

I addressed this issue by starting my blog, oneprettything.com. I realized I was spending HOURS a day reading DIY blogs and craft forums. I didn’t want to miss a single idea! There’s just SO much inspiration out there in blogland. Then it hit me. If I’m spending hours everyday searching out the best DIY ideas, others much be too. Why not publish my findings where everyone can easily see all the projects. And thus One Pretty Thing was born.

I feel that when I have all of the ideas and projects I’m excited about organized in a way that makes sense, it’s much less overwhelming. And knowing where all the projects are, and that they’re searchable, it helps cut down on the “I’ll never find that how-to again” panic.

Rachels last blog post: Halloween Roundup 2008.10.16 Halloween Food

10. Juxtaposition Design commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:20pm

I run into this same exact problem, ALWAYS. To the point that I’ve been close to having some sort of panic attack just because I was so inspired and so many ideas were running through my head (ridiculous, I know.).

I haven’t found the perfect solution for this problem yet. I love to rip out pictures from magazines, print online pictures off, etc. But then I’m like, great, now I have this huge stack of pictures that I will probably never even end up referring back to! I tend to bookmark a lot of online things, and plop pictures into a folder i have sitting on my desktop but, thats about the extent of it.

Someone needs to come up with a reallly creative solution to this problem!

Juxtaposition Designs last blog post: Interview: Interior Design Idol-Serge Van Lian

11. John commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:34pm

Hey Holly,

My mantra has been similar to what you are thinking where I have been not starting any new things. I am great at starting new things and not having the time to do them all. Simplify is my inspiration right now.

Johns last blog post: Spherical Kitchen : The Round Kitchen Island by Sheer

12. Liberty Post Editor commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:41pm

I stand by my manifesto. I don’t believe there are any ‘rules’ in decorating because creativity (and budget) are so subjective. We all need to enjoy the journey of design and let it flow naturally. “We believe that…anything goes. You have the freedom to define your life & personal style and the license to change your mind always and often. Knowledge of our society & culture, it’s places, people and their ideas (hence ‘Gallery of Goods’) empowers all of us. You are ‘at-liberty’ to create your world.”

Liberty Post Editors last blog post: The BIG Announcement

13. Sophia commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:46pm

Holly Hi,
    Since it’s my first time commenting I would like to say that you are part of my daily inspiration soooo I’ m glad you’re out there!! You see I can’t really afford buying so many magazines but I don’t mind anymore because there are plenty amazing blogs to inspire my life!!! So far I manage to stay away from this craze and not be carried away from all the ephemera I see here and there. I agree with you that is overwhelming and twenty four hours seem inadequate to include all the new and exciting from the design world but someone has to cut things out… Of course house interiors are an ongoing project(at least for me), and constantly I think of something different, another color scheme that may work, etc. I just try to keep my mind as tight as my budget is. I guess that’s the trick. I believe too that certain life styles are bigger than life but no need to imitate just pull some strings!

14. Fiona Richards commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:46pm

Hi Holly – this is a great question/issue to talk about. I often think I handle the pressure/competition to design and redesign my home out of necessity. . . . . because we live in the country outside a very small town of 10,000 people in the middle of nowhere in BC Canada. The closest Home Depot is about a 4 hrs drive from us. Most items featured in the main decorating magazines are just not available to us. The town itself is stylish and there are alot of very cool creative folk who have beautiful homes here(its a bit like aspen or vail here – a ski town). But we are really limited as to what we can buy or access easily. This really controls our desire to redecorate every room, every season.
    Its just a reality of living in a beautiful, stylish, but very remote area.
    The people who live around me have wonderful eclectic homes that have evolved through, yes, reading style mags but also by being resourceful, sourcing things locally and making do with what’s available.
    Great topic.

Fiona Richardss last blog post:

15. becky from hatch commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:49pm

I do get design overload. When I do, I let the glossies stack up and I don’t read the design blogs so much for awhile. When it comes to my personal style, I’m the opposite of you. I’ll be mindlessly searching a flea market or a junk store, and something grabs me. I snatch it up and make it work, or at least I hope it works. It works for me, so I guess that’s all I need.

I think I learned my lesson on hopping in the newest thing with the Cole and Sons “Woods” wallpaper. I saw it in Domino and planned to get it for my sunporch. I got as far as finding it at a discount but never got around to calling the wallpaper hanger to come over and measure for me. This is because I am lazy and disorganized, not because I was mulling it over. Since then, while I still think it is a beautiful design, I’ve seen it used over and over again, and a lot of times used badly, and I’m glad I never committed to it.

Now I take the time to let a design trend sink in and see if I really love it for life or if it’s a fleeting affair. Another example would be the current trend of suzanis. Some beautiful authentic ones started showing up in the blogs and magazines and I still love the way they were used there to this day, for example, a to die for gorgeous bench upholstered in Suzani fabric over at Style Court. However, I certainly have no interest in snapping up a Pottery Barn Suzani-inspired bedspread just to hop on a trend.

I guess my answer is when I get design overload, I unplug from today’s trends for a little while. I always come back and enjoy them more than ever afterwards. I also like to look at all of my design books that range the centuries and look at what worked in a whacked out 60s shagadelic pad and what doesn’t work for today.

becky from hatchs last blog post: Top Design

16. karina commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 3:59pm

I love that I can see design everywhere, I do not feel the impulse to buy the last thing in the market, I would never buy a Picasso but I adore her paints.
    I am building my own house and everything is low maintenance, I pretend to live there for many years and not change the deco in the next 10 or 15 years.
    I see, watch, feel, and then take a time, if the style still suite me then I take my decision.
    And I do not feel competition, I am a good person, bright, funny,I love reading, I do not care if my neighbour home is more fashionable, and if their garden is nicer than mine, better for me, I would delight myself looking at their beautiful flowers without caring for them.
    I fired my decorator, she makes me nervous every time she said anything like-When people visits you….
    I want to enjoy my own house, and friends could join but I would not do anything just to show off.
    Love!

karinas last blog post: My Photos

17. Wendy commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Great post Holly – I really resonate with what you’re saying. I often do feel overwhelmed, and find myself looking at items I wouldn’t normally look at except for the fact that it’s a trend that I keep seeing in design blogs or magazines. That can be good – because it stretches me as a designer, but I also have to be careful to not let that overtake what is truly me and my style. What helps for me is to re-visit certain things that really “hits the spot” for me – this can be something from my own sketchbook, something I’ve bought, or something I’ve bookmarked on Etsy or flickr – things I love and never grow tired of. Going back to these old favorites is like coming home or looking at myself in the mirror. It keeps me from getting pulled every which way by all the inspiration I see online or in magazines, while still being able to appreciate all the different styles out there.

Wendys last blog post: Spoonflower

18. Jackie Von Tobel commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 5:12pm

I understand that people are bombarded with a huge amount of visual information today through magazines, advertising, blogs, internet, etc. I think like in other area of our lives we have to prioritize and pay attention only to those images and ideas that speak to us strongly. I have a large collection of idea files and I make sure to write my thoughts about the image on sticky notes so I will be able to instantly recall what it was about the picture that caught my attention. Separating your main categories into sub-categories works as well. It’s also important to go through your files on a regular basis and toss the images that no longer inspire you.

Jackie Von Tobels last blog post: Sarah Palin as President

19. Coco commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 5:12pm

I love all the information and pictures of different homes and styles. I actually did quite the same you are explaining in your post what you did for your kitchen. I did the same for my kitchen only our kitchen isn’t done yet ;) and I mostly collected everything on my notebook. The pictures of kitchens in magazines that I liked I only collected them in my head and I overlooked them often, magazines side by side so I could see (maybe hehe) some patern.

I also do the same for our living room – I just couldn’t decide which color I preferd and now I was collecting a lot of living rooms pictures in different colors and mapped them together on my notebook and than I just get the right feeling with one or another.

Only thing is – my home now just looks awful and I still need to see my results from ‘mapping’ ideas on the notebook to the actually real house it needs to be in ;)

20. emcee commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 6:54pm

Hello Holly!

What a great topic :)

i think its a lot about NOT COMPARING ourselves with others – something which is *really hard* with blogs, since we are exposed to other people’s process and work on a daily basis.

And we all know, we are all different: we dont all have the same level of energy, we dont all go at the same pace, we humans all have a different style, but following the life of others can lead to a nasty habit of comparing ourselves and feeling we’re not good enough…

So i’d say, it’s good to keep the level of information LOW – blogs, news, magazines, tv – and just *select* what will nurture and motivate you,
    you dont want nothing that will down you…

My rules so far are:

1: to carefully select what i am are open for, information-wise, with blogs, magazines, tv (also select when – if i want to work, it’s better not be browsing around!)

2: to find my own system of organizing the info (folders, boxes, …). I’m still in the process of this!

I found this worked pretty well for me! Good luck!!

emcees last blog post: Today

21. Lesley Denford commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 6:58pm

It’s funny you wrote this article now, because just the other night I went through my Google reader and unsubscribed to a few design blogs. Coming home at the end of the day to 150 unread items is just too much! To avoid overload, I’ve just pared down to the best of the best. (Don’t worry Holly, you’re still there!) I looked at my starred items, and I kept the blogs with the articles/photos that had the most stars, and deleted the blogs that I didn’t really love. Sometimes too much inspiration works the opposite and sends you running overwhelmed – for me, it’s better to see a few quality design blogs rather than a large quantity of images.

Lesley Denfords last blog post: Things I Love Thursday :: October 16, 2008

22. Andy Mathis commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 9:53pm

putting pressue on yourself, and the competition thing. . . .

I blame it on Oprah and Martha. Before Oprah and Martha hit the airways way back when, you would be at home, content with your little life. Then you switched on the TV. and all of a sudden, your life is pathetic. You can’t be happy with Thanksgiving dinner, unless you are handmaking all the “tablescape”, little twirley orange peel things for garnishing, and hand digging potatoes for the freshest mashed potatoes ever.

I am being cheeky when I say that, but I think it’s a little true.

Being the type A, over-achiever personality myself, I think you have to turn off the computer, put down the magazines, turn off the tv, and RE-focus on what really is important, from time to time.
    Before you start planting radishes for salad garnishes. :)

Andy Mathiss last blog post: Artists-Collective- Our first Issuu Issue

23. collette commented
    October 16th, 2008 at 11:45pm

Before I even read this post I was playing catch up here and feeling a bit of that “inspiration overload”. I love/hate it when I bookmark a link. Love that I’ve found something I’m interested in; Hate that I get a stressed out feeling in my being knowing that I’m adding yet another piece of information to the already, entirely-too-long list of blogs/shops/ideas, etc.
    I do feel overwhelmed with information overload and that feeling of never being able to catch up, or worse stay “on top” of it all as if it’s compulsory to know everything. It’s not! I think that’s our downfall, our misguided belief and unrealistic expectation when it comes to everything we are visually taken in by.

I don’t struggle with seeing a “new” idea or a new trend and feel like I have to change my own living space. I cope by knowing I appreciate new and innovative ideas but I fall comfortably back on what I like and what suits me. No matter how many things I’m bombarded by, like you, I recognise my own pattern and tend to stick to that. I still look in awe at so many other different styles, maybe just taking in little bits and elements here and there that I can add and compliment to what I already have. I recognise the difference between what I’m drawn to and what feels comfortable for me as compared to what I appreciate and admire but know it’s not “me”. Does that make sense? I think it’s, as you said, making the best of what you have and where you are AND not getting sucked in by that abyss of inspiration overload.

I feel as if I’ve digressed but this whole idea has lingered around me for sometime.

Too much is not always good for me I suppose.

To answer your question about handling all the information: I’m trying, although I don’t always succeed, to not feel like I have to keep adding more and more ideas/projects/crafts, etc. Enjoy them and move on to new things after I’ve exhausted the ones I’ve collected. I’m losing out on my own creative process and productivity when I over expose myself.

collettes last blog post: knitting 101

24. eva commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 2:37am

It can be frustrating having this mess of inspiration in your head :) I always have to assure myself – calm down, they are not getting lost , I?ll remember all new ideas!
    And then I start to sketch AND by sketching it starts to reveal, which are the most valuable ideas. Sometimes I have a great vision of something but if it does n`t appear on paper (as good as imagined), I?ll just skip it. BUT! Don`t throw these “not good enough” sketches away! These are invaluable in moments your head is empty. Then just little something can spark a new flow of great (truly great) ideas.
    I confess, I have more not-perfect sketches than perfect ones :) And just a fracture of these has made in to real life (become toys or patterns) :)

evas last blog post: something I bought

25. Courtney commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 3:10am

what a wonderful thread to start…sometimes i get so into collecting other people’s ideas i forget about fostering my own… that being said i love the visual feast of some photos but i very rarely want to recreate it myself…
    i am finally to the point that i can look at the newest stuff and really appreciate it…but then i look around my home and remember why i have done things as i have…maybe it is not the “latest” but i have happy memories to almost every knick knack… and if i start to really spiral into the “ohhh but i want THAT…” i give my hubby my purse…LOL

Courtneys last blog post: thankfulness

26. magikquilter commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 6:08am

I guess maybe we have forgotten the concept of finding joy in other people’s things. Instead of looking at something someone else has and saying I want that now…we perhaps should instead say how wonderful it is for them and how much we appreciate what they have done

You know it is all becoming a little like what my son observed when he was four …twenty years ago…when he saw toys in shops or at other’s homes…he said I do not know what it is mum but it’s as if they are telling me “you must buy me”…we put it down to subliminal advertising

In these days of world crisis over finances perhaps we should take a step back and be happy with less…or at least with what we have or what we are achieving. Maybe there is a correlation with wanting it all and what has gone on in the world markets….. the corporate greed may be a many times magnified reflection of everyday life.

Also what you are talking about is truly the opposite of the “have not” society as is the norm in many world economies” ….it’s actually the “have too much and it is still not enough” society and it is no wonder Western society is so misunderstood in some parts of the world

As to the magazines and blogs etc…I have started several groups on flickr where we can encourage each other in all sorts of decorating and craft work….instead of tearing out lots of magazine photo shoot pages that are manipulating us into spending money we may not have, we have photos of our homes or homes we admire on these groups. We do have photos from magazine shoots too but more for inspiration and encouragement than anything else.

Lastly in crafting I find when I am overwhelmed by too much choice it is time to start giving stuff away….Swapbot is a great place to start if you do not live near a charity shop

magikquilters last blog post: The Deepika Scrolls

27. Caroline commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 6:08am

My take on this is: listen to my instinct! Which really requiers LISTENING. I found that task, although taking time and experience, be most rewarding and maybe the biggest inspiration. Because everything I see and come across filters through my gut (personality) and that which I then produce becomes genuine and lasting.

28. Irina commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 7:11am

I agree with Caroline. Usually I listen to my instinct. In German you call it “Bauchgef?hl”. One day, for example, I woke up in the morning, annoyed to see all the crap, clothings lying on the sideboard, chair etc., realizing that “this is not a bedroom they?d show in a lifestyle magazine”. I jumped out of the bed, still in pyjamas, fetched my boxes with ribbons, fabrics and yarn and started. Within minutes I knew what to do: the lamp shade had to be decorated with antique lace, a painting to place in the right corner of the room. DONE! Great feeling. :)

I?d love to work like ou Holly. Collecting all the inspirations in a sketch book. It?s so helpful and structured. I suppose I do the same in a way, but I collect the pictures in my mind. Deeply hidden. And one day.. popp!

Irinas last blog post: Filz pur

29. kat commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 8:34am

I can appreciate the beauty of black gloss and senciled decorative floors! But I think it helps to really know what you like. I used to save reams of inspirational images and feel completely overwhelmed but now when skimming a blog or a magazine I am only drawn to certain things. Not to say I don’t appreciate the styling of different looks, I just know what resonates for me. For my space. Sometimes I wish I had another home to decorate completely differently but in the end I might gravitate to the same things I like!

The problem is also that we are such and instant generation. It’s relatively easy to replicate an entire look and end up with a catalogue or magazine page type house that has no real soul. The soul is what you have collected and added and the fact that it is built up slowly to be the space that you love.

30. Jacquie commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 8:40am

WOW! I needed to read this so much. I overwhelm myself constantly and then it seems I never finish anything. I just decided last week that each month will be dedicated to one project, like October is Window Month. I am going to focus on window coverings one room at a time this month. If I finish early, I can start on November which is Apron Month. I have a list already of people I want to make aprons for. I have to finish the window coverings by Oct 31 though. A deadline is a must. I stopped going to the bookstore for a while because even that got to be overwhelming… I don’t read fiction… only how to books… so many things to learn… so. little. time!!!!

Thanks again for this wonderful post!

Jacquies last blog post: Girl on the what???

31. Leigh Anne commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 9:18am

As an interior decorator I am constantly exposed to the latest and greatest and it is easy to be overwhelmed. I have become quite adept at separating out what I think is beautiful and what I think will work for my home and lifestyle. And that helps immensely. I also keep an inspiration notebook where I pin pictures, fabric and jot notes. It’s helped focus me on more than one occasion. It also helps that I get to use all those wonderful, beautiful fabrics that won’t work for me, in someone else’s home!!

Leigh Annes last blog post: Becoming a Runner

32. Lauren commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 9:55am

How do I personally manage all of the information and ideas that I’m exposed to on a daily basis so as to be somewhat productive?

I’ve set up a system for collecting everything that’s coming in that strikes me: magazine pictures. articles, blogs photos, etc. I put them into my “style binders.” I’ve got 14 of them in a portable- but heavy!- box & try to break the rooms I see & love down into a particular style & put them into clear page protectors & into the binders. (Examples of particular styles would be Rustic, Feminine Country, Art Deco/ Glam, etc…) I just sort of came up with style breakdowns that make sense to me personally & then attempt to categorize the photos into them… This part can be tough because of course so many of the rooms could fit in multiple categories… but I do my best not to get hung up in this part of the process & put them in the place that I’m most likely to look for them.

I also have a product reference binder with all of the resource pages from the back of the magazines so I can go to that binder if I need to find something.

When I need to find the pictures/ articles for referencing or to create inspiration boards for clients, they’re right there waiting for me. I have to constantly edit down & reorganize but that gets the creative juices flowing & it really is fun.

Of course I get behind on the process because there’s just so much to put in there every month– it’s then that I put on a good movie (or 2!) and file my style binders.

For physical things that strike me, such as fabrics, samples, random little things, I put them into these pretty nylon zippered containers (kind of like boxes, but lighter & with handles) & I can take them with me anywhere. I end up using one of these for each client too because they fit everything- binder, samples, etc & they’re so portable. (And they’re made out of a really fun, graphic damask nylon that looks great on shelves or even if you leave it in the middle of your floor!)

I guess that was a really literal answer & the way I handle “inspiration overload” mentally, is to try to exhale & accept that I can’t get everything. That things are going to slip through the cracks and it’s ok.

I’ve tried to do sketchbooks that I take everywhere with me but it’s been hard for me. I’m really envoius of you Holly & all the others that can do this. I’m a terrible artist & I think I categorize things down too much to have them all in one place.. haha maybe I should get a sketchbook with dividers! Anyone have any tips for help here? (Besides OCD therapy!? Ha!)

Laurens last blog post: Go Gray

33. Guarana commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 11:18am

I do not have this problem. Could be because I have always been a happy window shopper? That is, I’ve never felt the need to buy things–but I’ve very much enjoyed just browsing to see what’s out there.

All the design resources now available on the web are ideal for folks like me (with the added bonus that now I get to look without spending any money on gas or decor magazines).

What is it that makes a person content to just look? I’m not sure. I have a strong design sense & love to be surrounded by beauty, but a lot of my treasures are reworked hand-me-downs or were bought on the cheap. I do “splurge” on original art (but for me a splurge has a maximum cap of $200.).

I guess the things I’ve chosen to bring into my home are all very special (would rather have nothing than something that’s just there to fill space) & because they’re special when I see the latest & greatest–my reaction is “oh, that’s lovely” but it doesn’t make feel compelled to buy or make me like what I already have any less.

34. Shashi commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 11:22am

Holly this is such a relevant post in my life right now. Going through a home rennovation and also taking design classes, I feel overwhelmed by the choices and selection out there. I like so many things that it makes it difficult to focus and as you say stick to your guns.

I have found that lists also work for me as well, even with trying to get the numerous things we all need to get done in our daily lives, lists are a great way to help organize and prioritize things. I have found with the house that the idea of reusing what I have instead of buying new and changing a whole look has helped focus me there. Also at the end of the day, taking a step back and slowing down, helps keep me objective and sane.

Some of the ideas listed here are very helpful and I’ll definitely be using them.

Shashis last blog post: Moving again

35. Amy commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 11:41am

This is such a great topic?I’m so relieved to know others struggle with this too, even those whose profession is in design! It really helps to think of that fact when you’re in the midst of feeling like something (or everything) in your home isn’t right or good enough or the way you want–or that you have so many ideas but no time to do them all. And I love to be reminded that people have different ways of dealing with the phenomenon, whether by making lists or and finishing projects before starting new or by accepting a more ADD style (I’m somewhere in the middle).

I’ve lived long enough to recognize there’s a cycle–seeing a problem or having an idea, gathering other ideas and inspiration, editing it down to what you really want or can afford, and then implementing it. While it’s easy to get discouraged or bogged down in a particular area, for me, just looking at the actual projects I’ve completed can be a big boost–to know not just that it can be done, but that I can do it.

Finally, reading a couple non-design blogs that are nonetheless inspiring helps me. I think it helps get you unstuck (maybe it activates neurons in another part of your brain?) to read about other ideas that are not visual or designy in nature. I find productivity blogs like Zen Habits to be particularly calming.

I agree with the commenter(s) above who say they’ll always keep Decorate8 in their must-reads, though. It’s always inspiring, never overwhelming!

Amys last blog post: Catalog curator: Catching up

36. Kat commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 12:08pm

Holly,
    you often don’t realise how in tune with everyone you are! i think alot of us just this very week,seem to have been thinking along similar lines.it must be something in the stars and planets thats linking us all on the same wavelength ( :

i know myself i started a post (that i havent quite finished as it got a bit too deep!) about the fashion magazines and how they hold up an idea of how we should be, and that if not aware of whats happening (with their motivation for advertising,getting us to buy into the next fashion etc) we can get pulled into ‘wanting’ something just because we have seen it and been told its whats right and Now.
    when really 1 do we need it? 2 do we even really like it when we stop and think about it? and 3 will it fufill us at the deeper level that our soul is asking for?

I hadnt thought about it happening with homes and decorating until i saw your post. I also liked very much what Marissa of Creative thursdays said on her comment above.
    I do think that perhaps by comparing our desires for home decor with what happens with fashion and clothes it can help us to take that valuable step back at times.
    Over the years we have become more aware of how the magazines have always tried to influence us into purchases and how to balance that with the inspiration they provide. We know how we have to choose what suits US and our lifestyle and buget, not just be swept along. The same must go for decorating.

With home or fashion mags i wouldnt be without the inspiration and like you, still see them as a positive thing. Its probably like everything ‘best done in moderation’.

I do find my desire to buy magazines has fallen away alot and i think thats because i am findin inspiration online so much more.

In blogs such as yours and creature comforts,we are seeing more Real homes, decorating styles and people who create from their heart. The mass produced,and magazine style of super expensive things to aquire seems to be fading in its appeal. And can only do so more with the current financial situation you would imagine.

As far as feeling overwhelmed by the vast array of things to inspire or consider buying, i tend to follow my heart. i don’t LOOK too much. because the more you look- does not always equate with- the better you find. so often the first thing that happens to come to me, or that i stumble upon without really looking for, is what i need and resonates with me the best. there is no need to search for ‘more’ when what i need comes to me. its a case of trusting that flow and not imagining there is something better ‘out there’ and remembering to enjoy what i do have that already makes me happy.
    its also nice to find quality rather than quantity, so a few well chosen blogs to browse regularly- like yours and Ez’s and i find my inspiration fix for the day! ( :
    thankyou and sorry it got LONG!!! kat xxxx

Kats last blog post: Art full of Joy

37. Tara commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 2:29pm

Great question! I recently got married, and weddings are the WORST for that kind of idea overload…. The only answer I’ve found is to know your own taste exceedingly well. (Respect for budget and time constraints doesn’t hurt either.) That way, you can flip through the overload fairly quickly and appreciate the vast majority as “lovely, but not for me.”

The paradox is that I’ve found my tastes sometimes change over time. And the only way to identify that is to pull out photos that appeal to me and watch out for trends in what I see. Which is a whole different process than “disregard anything that’s not exactly ‘you’”! Guess my middle ground is to pull anything that is clearly me, plus anything else so fantastic it can’t be ignored. Sometimes the “fantastics” coalesce over time into something definable.

(Now if I could just learn to do the same thing with clothing purchases. With clothing, it’s so tempting to think “but I’ll CHANGE — owning this bit of fabulousness will MAKE me the kind of person who wears it!” And then it sits in my closet, because my life is what it is, and I never do have anywhere to wear it.)

Taras last blog post: Pause for a Nervous Breakdown

38. liz commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 5:29pm

weird, i just blogged about this topic today and came over here to look at calendars and saw this post too. i loved how you put it: “inspiration [changes] into this twisty vine that chokes us” because that is EXACTLY how i feel right now!

i started my own business at the beginning of this year and left my job a month ago so i could focus on it full-time. and ever since i am having the worst time getting myself to be productive and make things. i am almost considering banning myself from the internet because i just look at so many things and get so overwhelmed or think “that is so much better than i could ever do”. for me it’s not even about wanting to buy stuff but just feeling overloaded by all the amazing stuff out there that i can’t tell what my own vision is, or i feel like whatever i do make won’t be “good enough”.

to try to help myself, i made inspiration boards this week (and that is what i blogged about) so i could focus on what i am really into. it helped but i’m still struggling with my motivation. that’s what i love about your blog (and i think the whole world works like this actually)–you always have the right topics to inspire! thanks holly! :)

39. Feanne commented
    October 17th, 2008 at 10:23pm

Holly, great post! I go through hundreds of images every day, scouting for a certain “aesthetic” that I enjoy, and I deposit the images that I like in my ffffound account. I opened my ffffound account around December last year I think. Currently I have nearly 8000 images in there. Crazy huh? I do think I suffer from the inspiration overload thing that you were talking about.

At the same time, I do think that “collecting” the images of the things that I see and want, actually helps me to lessen the desire for it somehow. When I’ve already saved the image of a very expensive object, or put it in a “mood board” or something, then somehow my desire to buy it decreases. This way, my wishlists not only help my to develop my sense of design/style, but also makes me feel like, in a way, I already have those things that I’m wishing for… :)

Feannes last blog post: Follow-up Collage: Dance

40. Lauren commented
    October 18th, 2008 at 10:02am

Feanne,

I totally agree with you- Saving that photo or image (and being able to refer back to it) really helps! (You sort of feel like you’ve got it covered!)

Laurens last blog post: Go Gray

41. MsUnreliable commented
    October 19th, 2008 at 8:21am

Being a relative newcomer to the world of blogging, I’m simply blown away at the sheer amount of beautiful, creative, individual and unique slices of inspiration I come across at almost every click. In my travels, I’m compiling all the looks I love and documenting them on my blog, one tiny slice at a time. Some form wishlists of things that I one day will own, some become immediate must-haves that I trawl the internet for until I find what I’m after, and some are just dreams that keep me motivated and inspired.

MsUnreliables last blog post: Did I Mention…

42. lindsey clare commented
    October 20th, 2008 at 12:09am

“In these days of world crisis over finances perhaps we should take a step back and be happy with less?or at least with what we have or what we are achieving. Maybe there is a correlation with wanting it all and what has gone on in the world markets?.. the corporate greed may be a many times magnified reflection of everyday life.”

i think these are wise words from magikquilter! it might seem a little negative to bring up the economy in a discussion about inspiration, but i think the opposite – if all of a sudden, people have less money to spend, then we will all have to get a little more creative, right?

Holly, another great topic. i go through periods of feeling seriously overstimulated. as a graphic designer, it is probably one of the main hazards of my occupation! sadly, i am still not very good at dealing with too much visual stimulation, though i’d suggest the following:

+ UNPLUG. get OFF the internet, stop reading blogs, and remove yourself from your computer completely. go read a book, run around the block, talk to your sister on the phone, go see a band or make a cake. anything that will be SLOWER than online communication, so that you have time to mull over your thoughts and reorganize them in your mind.

+ resist the tempation to subscribe to every pretty blog you see (i need to take this advice myself!).

+ put it into perspective. as much as i love design and fashion and blogs and interiors, it really isn’t the sum of me. my life is more than just a collection of pretty things, and i don’t think it’s healthy to fall into a lifestyle that is all about acquiring/making pretty things, even if that is how you express yourself. you only have to travel to a poor country or speak to someone less fortunate than yourself to be reminded of the other side of life – and humanity itself can be heartbreakingly beautiful and worthwhile, so invest some time in other people for a while (volunteering is a good start, or even just being kind to your friends and family).

that last point sounds kinda preachy, sorry. but i do think it’s the best way to get things into perspective and remove that feeling of constantly needing to “catch up” with other people and acquire new objects of desire.

lindsey clares last blog post: Sydney skyline

43. Hana commented
    October 21st, 2008 at 5:10am

I agree with Caroline and Irina. And, partially, I agree with magikquilter. Here is my incense stick flavored mantra… if my grammar is strange, sorry, please recite after correcting by yourself:
    I need to deeply consider- not the competition but the coexistence. If I pay my attention only to competition, and coexistence is not paid any attention, our world will ruin. We know it happened before many times. However, at the same time, I cannot deny competing. It exists fated here in Asia. The competitive coexistence. That’s the way, Ah ha. And, sorry to say I can’t share anything. Because, I don’t have nothing but negative. But – I can just support curiosity of mine or others. I mean, I’m not faithful to my worldliness. We know true inspiration will never annoy us. Only when the vine named Trendy or worldliness chokes us, I’ll throw it away without hesitation.

Of course, it’s innocent too – collecting magazines or comics or EP from the world. Not guilty! But you should know – the weight that can be collected on a floor in timbered house made in Japan is about 200kg a square meter. My floor drops down, if I’ll pile up something haphazardly. Seriously, my country island will sink sooner or later… Only 10,000 negatives exist around me. So, I need to have a well calculated plan before starting anything. I am careful! At least, I am writing carefully, even though I can not speak well in English! Anyway I kick away these – ‘Easy to make!’ and ‘The latest trendy of the world!’. Why can I be trendy? I know I’m not living in the center of the world. I’m living in the place named Far… oh, I see, I got inspiration. Another far regions exist on this planet. So I need to learn more using internet. Does more wonderful thing than intellectual exploration exist in this world? Thus, I can turn all the negative horses into positive side on my othello board. I love gaps, useless informations, and even misunderstandings.

Once starting my new project, I can deeply research, study hard, extreme, and reach to furthest. My room will be in disaster, but who cares? I know the word ‘Kiwameru’. We should so. May the spirits of craftmanship, and the Otaku-like inquiring mind, be with me – and you all too – even after the day our economy will be finally failure.

By the way, did you get the Apartamento magazine? I would like to hear your opinion about their concept…

44. ruth commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 3:43am

I do feel overwhelmed every now and then. Not just with ideas, but also with the amount of things I want to read about, do, have to do, etc.

I think at the bottom of it all, the trick to it for me is priority and paper.
    Priority on what needs to be done, the time sensitive bits, like getting dinner ready vs reading yet another blog, and to be realistic, that while it’ll be nice to have that pretty candle, i really need to put the money away for that sewing machine i’m saving up for etc. Its so easy to get carried away with all the information and pretty things out there!

I also find that it helps to put things down on paper. For me, I really need to list the things I have to do. Holding them in my head only adds to the feel of clutter and chaos and slows me down. Paper help me plan them so they happen.

All that said, I must also say I have pages and pages of links on my book mark page, waiting to be explored. And magazines that I’ve bought but not finished. Some times I think its just a safety blanket for me….I keep them ard so i think I have the potential to be some awesome inspiring person some day….

ruths last blog post: Kindergallery

45. CK commented
    October 26th, 2008 at 9:46am

okay, my neck is sore from nodding so much while reading this post! i share every single sentiment you expressed. (i’ve been sitting here catching up on all my blog reading for the last hour and a half…my stomach is growling for breakfast but i must. keep. absorbing. ideas.) subscribing to all these great blogs i read just makes my situation even worse (but in the best way, of course). i get one idea in my head and then i see 5 more that are even better. it’s a ridiculous cycle that overwhelms me on a daily basis until i become literally paralyzed and end up laying on my couch watching my dvr for 3 hours straight. ahhhh!

i guess my only “techniques” to handling inspiration overload are 1) lists (like most of the above comments) and 2) my blog. i use my blog to literally hoard all those ideas that i don’t ever want to lose. i have a virtual stickie note on my mac that says “ideas for posts” and it is quite long. i may have to start another one once it takes up the real estate of both my monitors! another thing i do is save favorites on etsy. i figure i can always reference things later…at least they’re saved in my virtual file system ;)

in general, i think it’s a double-edged sword. on one hand, it’s so great to be a member of this group that is continuously inspired by our peers and on the other hand, there’s never enough time to execute all that we want to do (especially with a 9 to 5 job thrown into the mix). i think we all just need to clone ourselves a la michael keaton in multiplicity and then delegate.

CKs last blog post: WITNESS THE AWESOMENESS.

46. Snowiye commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:43am

I agree about weddings; and I’ll throw in another one as well- working on your own home are the most prone to this type of overload. My current project is decorating our house, I remember I started subscribing to Domino magazine a year before we bought it, which lead to reading design blogs. Our humble house has great bones, but the design decisions from the predecessors are horrifying. Like Ruth, I have folders and folders of links in my Bookmarks, and some of them are organized properly, while others are akin to dumping grounds for ideas and products that caught my eye. I think the keyword in handling overload is EDIT. Of course, everything we love from the design blogs are bookmarked, and all our bookmarks are bright and shiny and great. Sadly they don’t all work for me either space or budget-wise. Editing the ideas that really work together, much like an ensemble piece, helps me from diverting and feeling pulled in a million different directions.

Now that we have been in this house for almost 4 months, I still struggle with design decisions. I don’t utilize enough this wealth of information I have collected. I’m picking out lighting fixtures at this point, and keep getting diverted. Until a few days ago, when I went back to looking over my edited moodboard (with only 10 great things on it), that I realized I should stick with the edits, as opposed to getting drawn to the next bright and shiny idea again!

As for the other ten thousand concepts and things that are chillin’ out in my bookmark folders, well, maybe I need more than one house to work on (or maybe the internet could use yet another design blog)!

47. Rochelle commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 9:53am

I am completely with you on this….though with starting my own landscape design blog not too long ago, I am not sure I have worked out enough effective ways to limit myself (because limiting myself is what I need to do). Lists…good, inspiration boards, also very good…do them all the time…but I think the best advice that I have taken away from this post and all the comments is something I have to tell myself all the time. BE A FINISHER….it is a struggle because I used to pride myself on my multi-tasking ability, but I am finding that lately it doesn’t serve me well. I must focus on one thing at a time and do that one thing well and until it is done. (and this includes not just my work life but also my family) other wise I have a whole lot of half done, half thought out things that clutter my mental landscape.
    Thanks for a great post.

Rochelles last blog post: What is Charbagh fashion?

48. Emily commented
    January 9th, 2009 at 2:36pm

In a way, I think I am lucky to have limits in place. The things that sometimes frustrate me when reading Domino are exactly the things that keep me from buying WAY too much stuff.

I know that there are a number of moves in my near future, so when I see something I love, I have to ask myself, “Is this just adding to my load? Am I willing to lug this around the country with me?” Often the answer is no. And then I put the item back on the shelf and move on with my life.

The other limits are cost and space. Not just the cost of the item, which might be $1 at a thrift store, but the added cost of moving it, the cost of the chiropractor when I haul too many heavy boxes up stairs, the cost of my sanity when the place is a wreck, the cost of storage-y things to store all of my things. I am going to be living in small spaces for a while, and by the time I move somewhere bigger, my taste will certainly have changed some. Better to let myself buy some new stuff then.

(speaking of changing taste and trends, I’ll cut out pages from magazines but won’t mark what caught my eye. If I go back to it later and can’t immediately recall why I cut it out, I toss it.)

Emilys last blog post: Bye bye, 2008