Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

I’ve really been enjoying the hand-picked items on the Etsy home page recently, especially today as some of my finds here came directly from shops I spotted in hand-picked. Wanna check out the stores on my radar this week? Here we go, friendsies! :)

I adore the bag designs of this South African designer, Wendren and her shop Wren. Handcrafted by Wendren and with help from her local community, no two bags are alike. Motivated by sustainable principles, Wren is a small business dedicated to the production of conscientious design that is authentic and well made. Lovely! (Psst: She also has a website here and a DaWanda store here.)

Hettle in Connecticut connected me to a bit of my past today. Did you know that when I was like 19-years-old I was trained by a seamstress to construct custom hats, headpieces for brides, and pins/clips for bridesmaids in a millinery shop? Oh yes. And I remember very clearly all the work involved, and all of the rosettes just like the ones shown on Hettles pillows that we had to make in a week by hand. It was such a wonderful job though and I stuck with it for a few summers in a row. After seeing these pillows today I remembered this period in my life and that I really should try to make something with rosettes for my home. I imagine the drapes in my bedroom, my white linen ones, could use some fancy (but simple) embellishment. Perhaps a few rosettes as a simple tie back with velvet pale mocha ribbon? Hmmm. Anyway, I love these pillows – linen and velvet? Oh sign me up!

Piano Bench Designs in New Mexico is just holy smokes cute. Cupcake necklaces? Check. Initial necklaces? Bunny wabbits? Check. Happy clouds? Check, check, check! Love this girl, love her jewelry… Weeeee!

Canadian photographer Jennifer Squires has my attention this week as I’ve been experimenting more with nature and travel photography and so I find her work a bit of an inspiration to my own. Jennifer currently has a series in which she has photographed pieces of her vacation to Greece and I find them so serene and exactly how I imagine life in Greece to be. Thanks Jennifer for writing in about your work this week!

And last but far from least, I’ve really been into blankets lately. Lap quilts in particular. I do love those granny-esque crochet ones (you know, the one that a designer was kicked off of Top Design last season for…oooh!), and of course ethnic patterned blankets (esp. if they’re vintage)… but lately I’m really craving a good old-fashioned quilt to curl up under on my sofa. I made one and I use it in my New Hampshire home, but it took me like 30 years to make it so I’m not sure if I should attempt another one before the ultra-cold weather sets in or if I should suck it up and shell out some dough on a beautiful handmade quilt on Etsy. I mean, I am supporting small business if I purchase one, right (justifying a purchase is hardly a problem for me)? I picked up a blanket at IKEA in August but it’s not warm at all, that’s synthetic fibers for ya, and it basically looks pretty and nothing more. Arm candy for my sofa, no substance — it can’t keep me warm at night. I bet the ones from Golden Gate Quilts (aka SFOQuilter) would be a nice replacement for the IKEA one. I appreciate that they’re so affordable given the sheer amount of work that goes into piecing all these squares together… having made a full-size one myself, I know the work involved. If someone sells a lap quilt for $150, they are basically earning $5 an hour to sit and make it. I like the patterns and fabric combos that the SFOQuilter uses, lovely! I wish she shipped abroad because I would purchase this quilt in a heartbeat! (Psst: She also sells quilted table runners.)

Hope you’ve enjoyed my eclectic round up this week! :)

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday on October 21, 2008

1. Diana commented
    October 21st, 2008 at 4:42pm

Ms. Holly, you are too cute! “Friendsies” – I love it!

I love the treasuries/front pages on Etsy! I love making the treasuries too, but I have been too busy to nab one lately. I would love to see a treasury curated by you!

Dianas last blog post: The Perfect Store, Mm?

2. Jeska commented
    October 21st, 2008 at 5:17pm

I love how these photos capture travel in such a tranquil way. and the cushions are so lovely too!

Jeskas last blog post: sunday

3. magikquilter commented
    October 21st, 2008 at 5:29pm

Hi Holly have you tried emailing the quilter …the postage might be an issue I guess but maybe something could be worked out…it is always worth it I feel to find a way…especially as you say $150 is so reasonable…and hopefully it is a one off as well

Interesting to hear about your millinery training…that would come in handy a lot as a designer even just so that you would know what can be accomplished

magikquilters last blog post: My ?Website Cards? have arrived

4. Erin commented
    October 21st, 2008 at 6:52pm

I absolutely love those pillows.
    I also am a huge blanket person. Maryam from My Marrakesh just sent me a vintage wedding blanket from Morocco. It’s beautiful. If you are into sparkly vintage blankets, you would love them.
    Quilts are lovely too. There are a lot of sellers on etsy from New England, and from just driving around and talking to them, they are really accomodating about selling. You should email the seller and ask about the pricing.

Erins last blog post: Glam Luggage

5. decor8 commented
    October 21st, 2008 at 6:57pm

Erin I lovveeee Moroccan wedding blankets. I think you will REALLY like this blog post that I wrote nearly a year ago: :)

6. Jennifer Squires Ross commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 8:02am

Thank you so much for featuring my Greece photographs! I really appreciate it.

:jennifer

fresh photography for hip homes

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 8:50am

First of all: you are a cutie pie! Second of all: LOVE that you were trained in millinery(I definitely think there are some pale mocha tie backs in your future) and Thirdly: I LOVE these picks! I am jonesing for the Wren bags and those necklaces are so cute! The pretty soft flowers on those pillows and those photos make me want to travel so much! Lastly: Those quilts are completely snuggle worthy and unbelievable prices! Wow!
    Thanks for sharing darlin!
    xo
    Melis

8. nichole commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 11:46am

I bought two Jennifer Squires photos and am absolutely in love. They get a ton of compliments! I have the shots of the rice and beans.

nicholes last blog post: I Love Lenka

9. Kelly | Purple Lemon Designs commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 12:36pm

Love, love, love those pillows…So girly!

Kelly | Purple Lemon Designss last blog post: Terrific Tuesdays: Homemade Goodie Tags

10. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 2:54pm

Beautiful quilts – and great prices too! I love Etsy artists – they have some of the best stuff!

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Healthy Eating During Pregnancy

11. Alayna commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 3:19pm

Wow! Thank you for featuring my work here. I am thrilled to be a part of your fabulous blog. Two recent customers have told me about this article, and I have to say, you now have another devoted reader (me).

Alayna

Alaynas last blog post: Puffy Raincloud Necklace – deep blue quartz and sterling silver

12. April commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 3:41pm

I love the big town bags by Wren. As a new mommy my current purse is definately not big enough for all the extras that I now have to cart along. They are totally reasonably priced as well, important to everyone nowadays not just new moms. I’ve added one to my Christmas wish list!

Aprils last blog post: Flower Pot Cell Charm/Purse Pal

13. aethlos commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 11:37pm

great photos. looks like mykonos(?) (sooo expensive i hear).

14. aethlos commented
    October 22nd, 2008 at 11:38pm

great photos. :)

15. talia commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 12:33am

Thanks for creating this space to feature handmade crafts from Etsy. As a new member and maker of handcrafted jewelry, I know how much passion and work goes into not just making unique and quality pieces, but also getting them in front of the right audiences…anything that gets us closer is appreciated!

talia inbar
    original jewelry, vintage & new

talias last blog post: Vintage filigree drop with garnet

16. Faye commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 5:01pm

I am thrilled to see Piano Bench Designs’ jewelry featured on Decor8! Besides the fact that this is such HUGE exposure for her shop, Alayna’s pieces are beautiful and bold (I am a happy – repeat – customer).

17. Marissa commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 3:30pm

… I know! I love coming here and knowing when I go I will have some cool new stuff to look at (and usually love) Where have you gone!!! Where is a new Top 5????…

Trackbacks and Pingbacks