Top Design: The Weekly Dish

Once again Miss Becky is back to share her opinion on this week?s episode of Top Design on Bravo. Becky, the mic is all yours! ? Holly

—–

O.K. you all. We all know this week’s theme was not “Light It Up” with a Swarovski crystal chandelier, but rather was stated by Nathan — it was, “Martha Martha Martha! Martha Martha Martha!”

Preston

Andrea

Nathan

Ondine

Eddie

The Pop Design challenge was to style a room using Jonathan Adler’s products. I could do this one in my sleep, as I want at least half of his collection and I worship him. I was really disappointed in the result of this challenge, as I had a favorite who was not the winner. However, my favorite moment was when India called Jonathan “short.”

As for the rooms, what did you think? In my honest opinion, Nathan’s story made me laugh. I was watching this cutesy show called “Priveleged” Tuesday night, and I was in awe of how eclectic and insane the rich sisters’ room was. Nathan’s seemed to be like that, but as far as the line between eclectic and crackhead, I thought it was more crackhead and it did not work for me. Preston, surprise surprise, hold onto your seats, decided to be inspired by “a boutique hotel.” Has he ever NOT been inspired by a boutique hotel? It was like Kelly Wearstler on a budget.

Enough from me: Tonight was a shocking outcome. What did you think about how it went down?

Even if you dislike Kelly, can you admit that you missed her this week? What is there to dish about when there isn’t a Kelly outfit to discuss?

If you do not watch this show please get involved in this discussion anyway… You can view the ‘finished’ rooms this week above and let us know your impression of them.

Please come join us and dish! – Becky

(image from bravo television, text written by guest blogger Rebecca Harris.)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers, reality tv on October 23, 2008

1. Kim commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 8:56am

*Yawn* I’m kinda tired from getting my hopes up before each episode that it might be really fabulous and ending up disappointed. It’s just not on the same par as Top Chef or as fun as Project Runway. I think the challenge of decorating a room to showcase the chandelier was a great one, I just don’t think anyone completely pulled it off. The amount of self-gloating from Eddie (and his hideous room) is enough to make me not watch again! The judges seem a bit biased and come off like they have already picked their winner in Nathan, just scripting Preston to win this week for tv’s sake.

2. kristina commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 8:59am

Well, I think these are all examples of how the EDIT feature in your brain is probably the most important…all seem a little crowded – like they are trying to show everything they are capable of at once!

I have to look closer and find individual elements that I like…because overall I don’t think they are very strong.

That being said…bravo for shows like this one and Project Runway that celebrate true talent and not manufactured celebrity!

Kristina

kristinas last blog post: Figure Drawing Techniques…Dividing the Page

3. Cicada Studio commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 9:05am

I’ve never watched the show before last night and had no preconceptions for any of the contestants. I thought Eddie’s room matched his horrid personality and was delighted the judges ripped him one. I also thought Nathan’s prized wall, albeit a clever idea, was hideously done. I think I am missing something there since most of the judges were a bit gaga over it. Andrea certainly came in above Ondine in my opinion and Ondine is very lucky to be there but by the grace of poor Andrea who was completely out of her element- at least she was true to herself in the end. Preston’s room was by far the most professional and polished, even though it wasn’t my taste entirely… there’s definitely some “thinking” going on in that quiet head of his…

So, based on never having seen their work before, this is my take on it. If I find myself with nothing to do on a Wed pm, I will check it out again and see if the same opinions apply going forward.

Cicada Studios last blog post: Psst- Click Here!

4. Megan commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 9:08am

I was sadened to see Andrea go. I thought this was her best room yet. I mean, I agree about the 80s seashell, but the wallpaper and the furniture I thought really worked. I am sick of Preston’s boutique hotel decor – can he do anything else??!! I also agreed with Simon’s question that he should have put the lamp in the negative space – I think it would have worked better. But all the judges liked it so maybe it looked better IRL. I like Ondine, but that room was awful. Her lamp was terrible (and she picked it!!), but the room was depressing. I need Eddie gone. nuff said.

Megans last blog post: Signs of Fall

5. maggie commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 9:23am

there’s no need to go into how bad Eddie’s room was, but if I were Martha? and he’d done that with my furniture on national television? there would be no more rides in the jet

i kinda wanted to slap Andrea and tell her to stop whining and grow-up. she made better use of her chandelier than anyone besides Preston

6. simone commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 9:46am

Andrea – While it could be perceived as noble that she went home and thus saved Ondine – such is not the case. She loves being a martyr and this was the ultimate sacrifice. PUH-LEEZE! I do have to big up her room though. Minus the misplaced accessories, I thought she did a really really lovely job. I wanted to be in there.

Preston – I love his polished style. I also like that you can learn technical details from his projects.

Nathan- He is funny! The wall paint job is truly “trippy” but I could see his point and he made the room like someone truly lived there.

Ondine’s room – Lord! It was such a miss- I cringed for her.

EDDIE – I was soooo embarrassed for him that I had to cover my eyes when the judges gave it to him fully! You can always tell a person by the unity between their eyes and mouth- and with Eddie, the two never connect. He thinks he’s good but honestly, he doesn’t BELIEVE it – if he repeats it enough he will come to believe it. His eyes are wily and frantic and that is disturbing.

Furthermore, I do not believe that he is doing the MS brand any justice by constant chatting it up. What he does is make us think that between Martha, her daughter Alexis, and Eddie: they are all frigid, uptight, filled with constant thoughts of grandeur, and possess no sort of filter whatsoever.

simones last blog post: Favor of the Week- Winter Nuptials Place Cards

7. Seana commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 9:53am

Preston: all he ever does is an attempt at the Kelly Wearstler style, which even she herself is trying very hard to change and evolve away from. I didn’t feel that it was nearly that original.

Eddie: He is AWFUL! Wow, he needs to be humbled. And that room was “funky” you know that word from the previous episode that he said he hates because it makes him think of something that smells, well his room looked like it smelled.

Ondine: Nice girl but she has stayed in the competition longer than she deserves, that chandelier, though definitely not my favorite just didn’t get its due in a room that was so gooped up with travel-centric.

Andrea: She too has, as I think she said, just hit her limit with how far she could go. I will say, that as a mother myself, it is probably very easy for JA to say that this is the opportunity of a lifetime and she just must not want it enough if she misses her family that much and wants to go home. I agree that she should have emotionally prepared herself better before getting into Top Design and realized how it would be difficult, but the love of your children so does trump most things in life, no matter how bad you want something for yourself.

Nathan: I love him! I think all around he is head and shoulders the best on the show and that’s why he wins everything-he deserves it. Do I want that room he did in my home? no. But honestly I think he created a piece of almost installation art with his room. He took a chandelier that in itself is more art than function, was inspired by it and interpreted it. I loved the wall because I felt that it was so youthful and almost graffiti-like combined with all of that Paris Hiltonesque fluff it was just a great comment on youth and fantasy. I totally get where he went with it. This show, like Project Runway does, should be about choosing someone that brings a NEW look to the world, not just the same thing we’ve already seen ie. Preston’s Kelly Wearstler hotel rooms and Eddie’s Martha Stewart magazine pages.

8. feisty tourist commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 9:55am

fabulous commentary (though i don’t watch the show). i don’t particularly love ANY of those rooms! the description of eddie’s room being completed while he was on drugs is particularly apt. he has some cool elements, but WHOA, buddy! no need to cram so many ideas into one space. eddie’s wall is awful. ondine’s room is uninspired.

feisty tourists last blog post: Jamaican in the Triangle

9. Denise commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 10:10am

I loved the concept of last night’s show, however I felt the branded integration went painfully far. The Jonathan Adler challenge, the Swarovski chandeliers, the Martha, Martha, Martha! It’s the equivalent of Saturn’s involvement with Project Runway or “popping” some Moet champagne.
    I actually did love Eddie’s wall treatment and think it would be beautiful under other circumstances, but in this instance, it just made the room look cluttered and over styled and only detracted from the opulence of the chandelier.
    Nathan’s room was a real “miss” in my opinion and his wall treatment looked like some wannabe Keith Harring art. There was a total disconnect between his theme “spoiled rich” and the actual execution of the room. I don’t know any upper east side privileged types that would want to come home to that busy of a bedroom. The chandelier looked so feminine and delicate and his room didn’t showcase those aspects at all.
    Preston definitely does come off as a one note designer, but he might have a future working with Ian Shrager….

10. Charlie commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 11:37am

I might have to change my mind and say that sadly and boringly, Preston, might win. They continually film him in his tight, white wife-beater tank at every opportunity (just like David Bromstad).

Eddie: There are a lot of blogs out there defending his conduct saying that “its just editing”. That is simply not true. At some stage, in filming, he has said these hideous things. Editors are brilliant but they have to have footage to work with. At this point, he should be very embarrassed. “A gay’s gotta do, what a gay’s gotta do”…….

Sweet Andrea: I hope this hasn’t destroyed her visions of continuing in the design field.

Thanks Becky for always keeping it real.

Charlies last blog post: Obama time

11. Tracey commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 11:39am

Eddie is starting to creep me out. That weird grin accompanied by the watery eyeballs that are shooting daggers. I expect him to pull an axe out from behind his back and say “Here’s Johnny!”

I ended up feeling bad for Andrea. You can tell she loves her family very much but between being a celebrity’s wife and this show, I think she’s completely lost her self esteem. Though asking Ondine what she should do was rather poor judgment.

I like ol’ Ondine but I agreed with the assessment that the room had a tea-stained feel and that lamp was stark white. Worse was that she DIDN’T notice. O_o

Preston may not be the greatest but I don’t know why they’re all so mean to him. They haven’t showed him do anything to warrant that.

And Nathan remains my fave, though I was disappointed in the juvenile way he wouldn’t let Preston help but then let Eddie. I think he’s putting his trust in the wrong person there and it was just rude.

12. Linda Merrill from ::Surroundings:: commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 11:50am

I agree, Becky, this show is all about Martha. She’s no dummy and she’s getting lots of free PR every week. Not all of it good – it’s true. I didn’t love Nathan’s room – although I liked elements of it – like the horse – and the concept of the chandelier shadow. But, it was too much for me. I was particularly impressed with how the judges sussed out that Eddie had no real love for his chandelier and that came out in the design. As for Andrea, I can’t help but wonder if there had been another contestant with kids who she could have commiserated with, would she have fared better? It was interesting that India – the only judge with children – was the most sympathetic.

Linda Merrill from ::Surroundings::s last blog post: Top Design Chandelier Challenge Contest

13. Keli commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 11:56am

I loved how Eddie made a big deal about how he didn’t like to buy all his furniture, etc. from one store (during the pop design), then he threw his entire idea of a modern dining room out the window and bought everything from the same collection!

I would guess that he thought he could get some brownie points with Martha by showcasing her furniture and everything and talking about how great it was… Sadly, doing the worst room of the night won’t get him any extra points!

14. Karen B commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 12:21pm

I agree with the other posts. I really didn’t see the fabulousness in Nathan’s room. While I thought his wall graphic was an original idea, the rest of the room wasn’t cohesive for me. I do think he’s the most talented, however. I’m REALLY sick of Eddie. I just couldn’t help but wonder what Martha thinks about the way he’s acting. Do you suppose he’ll have a job to return to? Ondine’s room certainly didn’t connect with her chandelier in any way. If I stayed in Preston’s “boutique hotel” I’d never be able to relax, although it was the best offered this week. I loved Andrea’s wallpaper with her chandelier. I thought her room was better than Ondine and Eddie’s.

Karen Bs last blog post: Staircase Love

15. Luka commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 12:27pm

Last night was the first episode I thought worked. I actually found something to like in each of their rooms. Truthfully, even Eddie’s would have been an ok room had it not had the mismatched chandelier (which obviously, was the entire point).

I felt Preston’s chandelier was lost amidst the wallpaper pattern and think it would have been better against the black but that’s splitting hairs and while I totally agree about it being Wearstler-lite I still liked it. I’d be proud to have that room in my house. Am I crazy for saying this? I thought Andrea’s room was the best!

Ondine’s room blew but so did her chandelier (and Becky, I’m with you – it looked like Bull balls) but she is the person I’d most like to pal around with on the show.

16. Alison commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 1:25pm

Was pretty amazed how Ondine took nothing from her chandelier style in producing her room and made that crazy expensive lighting fixture (which I never would have picked) look so sad hanging there in the corner. Her brain synapsis were not working. Or something.

And for the other one that completely forgot his chandelier was in the room, Eddie. Oh Eddie. He’s got Narcissistic Personality Disorder, I think. Talks big about himself, expects others to worship him, but deep down he’s full of self-hate and low self-esteem. It’s amazing how much he pretends to not care what everyone else thinks, but it’s obvious from his pained expressions and deep red blushes that he does. I’ve gone from feeling disgust to feeling compassion. He’s like a little boy constantly needing approval and not knowing how to handle it when he doesn’t get the attention he needs–so he throws things and yells insults and pretends his skin is thicker than it is. All these reality shows are a pretty amazing representation of the Axis II diagnosis in the DSM.

I loved Preston’s orange chairs. Let him do boutique hotel designs till the end of the world, I say. And Nathan–give that man his own show!

Poor Andrea. I do think Jonathan Adler was too hard on her, though I understood where he was coming from. Leave it to the mom in the group of judges to get it. I had to cringe when she turned to Ondine for advice on what to do, though.

Alisons last blog post: Casserole Challenge, Week 7 (I think): Now We?re Getting Somewhere

17. 315thomas commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 1:48pm

eddie is absolutely driving me insane! what a jerk… i hope martha has enough sense to fire him once the show is over.

nathan’s room was definitely crackhead. i think the judges are just so enamored with him they can’t look at anything he does objectively. they might as well just name him the winner now!

my hubby and i were also discussing playing a drinking game next week. of course drink whenever eddie name drops martha… and also drink when anyone says bananas, bonkers, gorg, or j’adorable… or whenever you see a jonathan adler product!

oh yeah, and i missed kelly this week too.

315thomass last blog post: my latest obsession . . . lladro niagara chandelier

18. Andi-a commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 2:24pm

Okay Holly am I allowed to garner pre-support from you all if I choose to enter this Alice goes to Wonderland psycosis in the future. Honestly I think this Top Design deal has trance power. It’s hard to know what the judges want, what the contests call for, if the contestants are being treated to drug candy parties when they return to the loft? What is this? Still I may enter just to find out :).

Preston makes me want to cry, I would so hound him as a friend to try to understand. I’d be all, “Daaaaaaaaaaaang Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan you can tell me let it out, I’ll still love you, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease just say it.” OMG why was I so proud like a prize was headed my way when he admitted that people misunderstand him cause he takes a while to let his feelings out. Though it is EXTREMELY obvious at this point I was so thats what I said on Decor8.

Nathans room was very Vogue Living Australia well with a common bed. Decorating from “bits” you like fun indeed JA, but at what point does it have to make a little sense. I mean really could Ondine have gotten away with 3 bare stryofoam balls on a stick and called it topiary during last weeks future comp.? And he seems to have a love affair with awkward furniture placement, that’s not bratty teen thats just pissy gay guy. I did like his room idea but it needed fine tuning. I love mirrors almost as much as lamps and you dont just throw statement ones on a wall and hope for a bigger statement. Nathan has the luxury of not having to make any sense. As much as Ondines Ball of marbles didnt get the right attention, Nathans gorgeous chandelier was clear out in the boonies.

Ondine looked way more alive this week, but I dont understand her church looks when they are before the judges. I’m really trying to figure it out. She may be trying to be very anti fashion, her dark shirt and jeans were very simple but looked fab on her. Her room looked like the Wisteria Outlet.

Speaking of clothes Eddie is way over the top trying to be so sexy. His room made me want to cry that was just torture. The walls prepare you for a children’s play, the furniture placement says sit if you dare, all the dark wood says Anyshowroom USA, and the chandeliar who the heck could even focus long enough to notice the chandelier?

Since I was not a fan of Andrea even being on this show I can’t pounce now that she dropped out. I love that India gave her credit for why she said what she did. The judges are entirely too dang literal in their interpretations but they want to be as abscure as humanly possible like the designers should be great face readers and physchic on top of everythhing else. Her room lovely, the accesories like the “kelly green” kitchen canistars wrong, the seashell didn’t bother me. the whole fake flowers deal is a toughie cause you have companies that manufacture these with extreme detailing and they charge prices for them as if you were getting them fresh delivered every week.

I’m not a mom yet and I have seen parents get shredded from both sides for taking a stand on a reality show. On Big Brother you are mud if you do whatever it takes to stay on the show and you have children at home, it’s not fair. Andrea summed it up best when she said the right person is staying. What if they had decided to beat her down for one of their out of the arse reasons and talked up Ondines room for all it beautiful detail? Jonathan wouldn’t be so snippy, it took real guts for her to recognize where she is as a designer.

19. Andi-a commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 2:47pm

Sorry forgot to thank you Becky for all the room stills usually I’m just going from blurred memories in my head.

Tracey “Here’s Johnny” Haaahhahahahahahahahahhahah hilarious and so scary true.

Loved Preston’s orange chairs, and if I were him I would have picked that chandelier if I had all the choice. I think he is really defined by symetrics and balance more than boutique hotel, bless his heart.

Ohh and I didnt think it was fair that Ondine only had one of the bag of marbles instead of say 3

20. Cindy Corlett commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 3:08pm

At last, an Eddie smackdown!! We’ve all been waiting. What a shame for such a gorgeous light fixture to be lost in that over done mess. I really have a lot of sympathy for Andrea. I know from experience that being a full-time at home Mom can effect your self image in the “real world.” A lot of people who don’t have kids don’t respect the work and dedication it takes to do the “Mom” thing well. Preston has talent, but it always seems so paint-by-numbers with him, I’m never wowed by his work. Nathan’s room was not his best work and Ondine’s was depressing! It looked like it would smell musty. Andrea did a wonderful job of showcasing the light, and I loved the furniture pieces and her mirror. Alas, the accessories really did suck.

Like I said 2 weeks ago, when Eddie talks about Martha he reminds me of Norman Bates! Creepy.

21. becky from hatch commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 3:50pm

Oh my gosh, you all are ALL so full of profound and HILARIOUS comments I need to print them out and respond to all of them in a LONG comment. I’ve been sitting here chuckling for 20 minutes reading them, and trying really hard to tell myself “Becky, you can go check out these fabulous peoples’ latest posts LATER, you need to comment before you can spend hours reading their blogs! It’s killing me!

315 Thomas, I invented a design show drinking game over on Hatch about two years ago – you have perfect phrases to add to it. Don’t forget tres chic! Pop, Zen, and Bring the Outdoors and Wow Factor in are on the list – Miss Holly originally gave me “it really pops” way back when!

One general comment in the age of TiVo and cheaply production costs for TV shows, we are going to be seeing a whole lot more product placement, and doing it on these kinds of shows is such an easy way to do it. The Saturn challenge on Product Runway was one of the worst offenders, but the worst offender was Top Design last season when they had to design a garage around some SUV! Or when the American Idol kids tool frolic around in a Ford Focus.

Re: Nathan’s wall. One bold move with a good justification usually woos the judges. I think that is what I am going to paint on the side of my garage facing the McMansion next door to me before it goes on the market. I’ve thought about day-glo orange with lime polka dots, or “McMansions Suck” or something to make them think a Satanist lives next door, but now I think Nathan’s design would be perfect. I loved the horse but had seen that done before. Can anyone remember the big black horse in someone’s loft in a magazine in the last 3 years? I think it was Elle Decor, and it was some fabulous gorgeous single mom’s crazy pad. There’s also that awesome horse lamp by Moooi.

OK, I’m off to print out comments and make some highlights of your comments, because they are all so excellent. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave them, they really made my day! I also need to look up Axis II in the DSM!

Becky

becky from hatchs last blog post: The Bitchy TV Schedule Tonight

22. Andy Mathis commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 4:45pm

this is what I want to know.
    There are 12 designers, right? Are they locked in that apartment for days on end, when they aren’t filming? Does each episode take a week to shoot? The designers aren’t shooting car commercials on the side like on American Idol. It all based on editing with very little scripting. Does no one get the weekend off? Why can’t Andrea visit her family on a weekend?

I like that India stood up for Andrea when the judges were deliberating. Andrea was obviously beaten-down and not thinking straight when she asked Ondine what to do.

Preston’s room might have won, but it’s the same design every week- chic boutique hotel. I’ll take a guess that whatever the challenge is next week he’ll be doing chic boutique hotel.

You have to hope Eddie stays around just for the entertainment alone.
    I am sure a lot of the interview questions are set up by the producers, but Dude, come on. . .

Nathan’s chandelier was gorgeous. I thought his design took away the chandelier. It was lost in the room, not featured.

My favorite room and chandelier combination was Andrea’s. That green chandelier was great with that wallpaper. I wish she would have been a little more confident and decisive about what she wanted. It’s like she second guessed herself and didn’t pick out the best accessories and coffee table. That also might be because it’s hard for her to visual everything at once, in her head. I think she would have done better, if placing her furniture first, and then go shopping for accessories. But that’s not the rules.

Andy Mathiss last blog post: Bone Cancer and Chemo- Would you consider it for your pet?

23. becky from hatch commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 4:49pm

Andi-A, that was all Miss Holly finding the room stills. I was on bravotv.com for an hour and I could not find them. I wound up taking a picture of my TV screen for a post I did about the wallpaper at hatch!

OMG, I just saw the previews and JEFF LEWIS IS RETURNING NEXT WEEK! I’m SOOOOO happy! I totally want to be his trash guy just to get to know him.

becky

becky from hatchs last blog post: The Bitchy TV Schedule Tonight

24. dzinediva commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 6:04pm

Becky – I am so excited about Jeff Lewis coming back too. He will add some much needed spice to the show. I think they edited him too demure the first time around. I always so look forward to yours and Andi-A’s comments on the show.

Tracey – You are so right about Eddie’s creepy smile. Everytime he smiles I think of the scene in the animated Grinch when he get’s a “heart” and finally smiles. There’s something so sweet and yet sinister about that (which I think is the technical definition of “creepy”!!) So agree with your take on the designers as well. I absolutely LOVED Margaret’s “phoned it in” comment to Eddie this week! Very well said!

Luka – no you are not crazy. Preston’s room definitely warranted some accolades – although it was a bit too design “rule-y”! I wanted to just walk in the room and kick one of the ottoman’s askew so it looked like somebody lived there! But the sculptural elements of defining the areas was cool. What got me was there was one scene while he was working on the room and had the black paint on the wall with the rough edges BEFORE the wallcovering went up that looked REALLY COOL – I was hoping it was gonna stay that way!

General comments –
    I loved India on the show this time. The styling and her demeanor were just plain warm and likable. She is usually so stiff to me. And I liked how she supported Andrea.

As far as Nathan’s room….well…I actually really liked where he was going with it. The idea of the shadows was genius. I just think his color combination for the mural was a little garish. The tones of the colors were off to me. I think he could have achieved a similar effect by using the same pattern, but going with tone on tone of say a color similar to the duvet or another color accent. The reason why the room worked in the opinion of the judges, especially Jonathan Adler, is that he(JA) doesn’t really care for “color schemes” per se. Which is cool. It makes a room look like it evolved over time and is not so rigid and it basically works BECAUSE nothing matches and there are no rules. But he left his restraint somewhere between the mural and the odd chandelier placement and what happened here is that having no rules created a NEW RULE of having no rules and it turned out looking like way too much going on JUST BECAUSE. (But I still think he should win the whole thing!)

25. Cat commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 8:14pm

IF They do NOT get RID OF EDDIE, I am not watching again. It is to the point where I think he is a straw man. They keep him on so b/c he is the “rude” guy and that hsakes up the show. I mean come on, he gives the show a bad name, really. He is so condescending and I do not find most of his remarks offensive.

26. Cat commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 8:18pm

whoops! I find his remarks offensive. The challenge was cool except I found both Jonathan and Margarette’s comments about Andrea mean. Indie to the rescue! Boy, oh boy, I have broken down under pressure and guess what..I carried on! Liek going off the show is going to end her life for god’s sake. I still think the whole time crunch is stupid. OK, done now.
    Catherine

27. Condo Blues commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 10:10pm

I can’t believe I’m about to make this comparison, but I like that they did the Pop Design before they did the Elmination challenge a la “Groomer Has It” (OK I like dogs and shows about dogs, so sue me.) It’s not fair to give the designers 2 days or less to design something and then rob them of 1/2 a day of shooting for a surprise challenge and still expect the designers to come up with the polished design they might have been able to do in the orginal short time period.

And as for the Pop Design, I too love Johnthan Adler’s line (and like JA said last week I’d love an Artichoke Lamp too.) My favorite was Preston’s Pop Design because I’m partial to JA’s Union Jack rug and pillows. And I have an obscession with Pantone chairs.

I really wish I could hav given Andrea a big cup of courage before this episode. I appreciate that she’s feeling overwhelmed because she lacks formal design school training but she wouldn’t even be there if she wasn’t a good designer. I think that if she had gotten some compliments on what she did right in previous challenges (I liked how she showcased her chandelier best once I saw the room from the front in you photos than from the side in the episode) maybe she wouldn’t feel like she didn’t belong there.

Condo Bluess last blog post: Condo Blues Projects are Featured on Apartment Therapy!

28. Terrah commented
    October 23rd, 2008 at 10:55pm

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Terrahs last blog post: Dylan’s first day of Karate (???)

29. Stingy Britches commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 12:14am

I worked for Martha a few years back and trust me, she’s eating it up. She has the sense of humor that would leave her in stitches with every odd comment Eddie vomits out of his mouth. He’ll go right back to his position at Martha and continue to have his ego stroked. I’ve flown with Martha on her private plane myself, but I never forgot I was flying as one of her “staff” and not as a best chum as Eddie seems to think he is. Eddie needs a dose of reality and should be cut from the show. He provides cringe-worthy “entertainment,” but that’s about it.

30. liz commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 12:23am

omg…i just finished watching my recorded episode and all i have to say is:

1. I did not think it was possible to make that chandelier look bad, but Eddie managed it!! wtf
    2. That is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw Ondine’s chandelier. Glad I’m not the only one!
    3. Nathan’s chandelier was my favorite and the room was cool but I think it would have been way better with less stuff in the room.
    4. And Andrea…couldn’t you have lasted a few more weeks? That is so not fair to everyone else there, and asking Ondine what she should do? Get a backbone honey.

Excuse any catty flavor to this comment, but it’s a tv show…

lizs last blog post: I?m Back!

31. Maureen commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 8:27am

Okay, I’m going to write this before I read others comments.

I agree about the ego, Becky, of Eddie. Yikes. I hated the chairs. I think he could have made the room work if he’d chosen something with modern lines and possibly slipcovered in some funky, nubby, white fabric. There was nothing else modern in the room and it felt weird to me that he didn’t do that. Sort of like inheriting a step child and thinking you were a good parent to said child, but … not.

As for Ricky Schroeder’s wife, I just forgot her name, I too ended up liking her. As an interior designer who changed careers in midlife I relate to her insecurity and actually ended up really admiring her honesty about her abilities or lack thereof.

I did like Preston’s room but his rooms never seem to have heart and I get irritated that Jonathon Adler always says he does it right. I’d like to see more heart and personality.

I loved the idea behind Nathan’s mural and am a big Nathan fan. BUT I HATED the color scheme. If he’d done a more pleasing color combo I’d have loved his room. I’m going to start watching to see if this was an abberation or if indeed that’s his Achilles heel. LOVED that horse. I want one for my house. And the guy exhibits so much heart and quirkiness and style.

Ondine. I just love her as a person and always see stuff I love in her rooms, but I have to agree with the Elle woman, again losing names, and say that one part of the room worked but as a whole it didn’t. I think she has the chops, just hasn’t transitioned from set decorating to interior decorating. Interior decorating is to some extent about editing and focus and balance.

I’m an Atlantan, by the way, Becky! I wish we could all have this conversation in a coffee shop instead of online. I always wonder if anyone reads what I write. My pet peave about the virtual thing.

32. Meghan commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 9:48am

1.I absolutely loved Nathan’s room. He is by far my favorite contestant and designer. I love how witty he is and his design aestheitic. If I were a “bratty” teenager again, I would loved for this to be my bedroom.
    2. As far as Eddie goes, I loved him in the beginning, but I believe this competition is causing him to question his own ability and I think he is trying to convince himself that he is great. All season long the judges have been asking to see Eddie’s design aestheitic and not Martha’s, and for the first time I think the judges saw that and I loved when JA smirked when he said that.
    3. As far Andrea goes I know she missed her kids and husband, but in the beginning all she could talk about was trying to prove that she was her own person and I think that the competition just got to her and she used her home sickness as a cop out. I’m sure no one on the show is completely alone in this world and everyone misses home, but I think JA was right. I also don’t think it is fair for the other contestants who got kicked off earlier.
    4. Ondine is just scrapping by. I like her, but I think she is in over her head.
    5. Preston. All I have to say is his personality is boring and so are his designs. Don’t get me wrong I think he knows what he is doing, but he doesn’t know how to do anything else besides boutique hotels. I need to see something different from him for me to really think he deserves to win. Take some risk.

33. Lucinda commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 10:37am

Okay… In one of the earlier episodes I actually defended Eddie and his tree mural because I know what time it takes to complete decorative painting elements, and now I’m embarrassed I ever defended him. He is horrid. I have never been more offended by someone over and over. This is what I hate about reality shows when they keep a bad person on just for the drama or celebrity. I have even lost some respect for Martha for keeping this individual employed. His room was terrible and thank you judges for handing it to him.

I like Nathan’s room with just one or two edits, but I think he’s the most progressive of the bunch. Andrea’s use of her chandelier was fabulous – too bad for the styling. That couch was yummy! I was quite in love with Preston’s choice of chairs.

Lucindas last blog post: Old Fireplaces Are New Again – Going Green

34. Claudia commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 11:26am

Hey All,

Long time stalker, first time venter. (is that even a word?)

Anyhoo, I understand the Tivo comment by Becky and everyone else’s thoughts on product placement. But seriously. This is bordering on the insane. FIRST Jonathan Adler, THEN Swarovski, THEN Martha. Really? I get it. Do we see all Michael Kors stuff on Project Runway? Nope.

Eddie is totally eating up the “bitchy queen” title that has been bestowed upon him. But I do think that he does believe that he has talent. That being said, I also think that he might have it. In small, very exact places. For instance, I enjoyed his flower arrangement and his Jonathan Adler Pop Design, but really, nothing else has really wowed me.

Did no one else notice that they kept calling Nathan “Tranny”? HILARIOUS. Honestly, it is HIS relationship with Eddie that makes Eddie somewhat redeemable in my eyes. B/c I LOVE Nathan. With a heart over his name and everything. Possibly a kissy face. I like that his designs are SO CREATIVE. Although I do agree that he missed the mark this time around. That chandelier was lost in that design. And sad considering I would quite possibly give my left arm for it.

Although, to be honest? The task was to FEATURE the “chandy” (HAHAHA- must add THAT to the drinking game!) and who did that the best? That’s right ANDREA. Now, don’t get me wrong. Her whining was INTOLERABLE to me. Can you imagine how whiny her kids are? CRIMENY. But the design was GOOD. Really GOOD. I honestly think one of two things happened with Andrea. Either, the judges just plumb don’t like her- which is possible considering what sniveling, condescending twits they can be- OR they realized that she really wanted out. Because boy did she say it enough.

Oh Ondine. I am plugging for you cause you have boobs. But really. GET AN AESTHETIC. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A$$. AND FOR G-D’S SAKE, GET A NEW WARDROBE.

I find Preston to be insipid and BOOOOOOOOOORING. To be on t.v. I feel that you really NEED to be a big personality. Get over yourself and be normal. He is so removed from his personality one would possibly surmise that there was some sort of childhood trauma there. This does not make for good television, Bravo. They should have swapped him for Big Daddy. POINT BLANK.

I agree, also, that India was more animated this episode which was refreshing. Her comment about Andrea was SPOT ON. And the Jonathan Adler “short” comment? AMAZING.

And, I’m just putting this out there, but why has no one mentioned how GROSS Margaret’s hair is in EACH and EVERY episode? Like, really? You want to talk about 80’s seashells? How about your overdone unflattering 60’s Jackie-O wannabe hair?

I’m just sayin’…

You guys all have super fun blogs and I thank you for your entertainment week after week!

TTFN!

35. becky from hatch commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 1:54pm

Claudia, I’m so glad you decided to chime in! Speaking of wardrobe choices, I was loving that Nathan rocked that silver windbreaker/blazer/what the heck was it?

Maureen, where do you live in ATL? It’s so cold and rainy today and I’ve got the sniffles! I’m glad we are finally getting some rain though!

I had another thought about Nathan’s room – I LOVE Nathan, so don’t get me wrong, but for the past two weeks, and in the window dressing competition, he has some editing issues. He definitely gets the big gesture thought. This week, the editing issues were covered up by the story – a messy bratty teenager with a Vuitton backpack who just leaves stuff stewn about her room!

Cat, I find Eddie extremely offensive as well, and it takes A LOT to offend me, as I am a rather crass lass. I have a ton of gay friends and there is a difference between hilarious cattiness and disturbing prejudice. I’ve seen the Eddie Ross style in his audition video (I provided a link in last week’s comments), and it’s L-A-M-E! And he stole “Tranny” from Perez Hilton, who uses it to describe Tyra. Even that cliche-speaking Christian from last season’s PR said it all the time.

Condo Blues, I’ve only seen Groomer Has It in clips on The Soup, but it looks like a funny show. Right up there with Dutch Oven Cookin’ in terms of providing good Soup fodder :)

RE: Product Placement: If you are going to plug the judges’ products so much, INCLUDE TODD OLDHAM’S PRODUCTS! SHEESH! They could have at least put out a stack of the awesome Charley Harper book he worked on for the Pop Design Challenge. I’m with you all, it was SO over the top. My favorite Michael Kors plug on PR is when his mother was on! She looked exactly like him, you could tell he was the twinkle in her eye (and vice-versa) and I loved her raspy voice. I’m getting verklempt just thinking about it!

RE: PRESTON & BOUTIQUE HOTELS: He’s got it down. However, that whole look and idea is not at all fresh. It’s been done a lot for a long time, and done a lot better than he does it. I did love those orange-y chairs though, and his execution was good. I’d just like to see someone push design beyond what’s in (or even “so 5 minutes ago”) and come up with something NEW. I think that Nathan has the most potential to show us something new.

RE: Eddie leaving. Hmmm, it’s kind of like when Kelly is absent and we can’t talk about her outfit. I can’t stand him, but the show would be a lot less interesting without him. What the heck would we talk about here? Like Martha, I love to hate him. The thing about Martha is, I also hate to love her. With Eddie, I simply cannot stand him. However, I want to see the next idiotic thing he says or the next bridge he is going to burn.

OH, LISTEN UP! I was on commenter Linda Merrill’s Blogging Top Design Site http://bloggingtopdesign.blogspot.com/2008/10/btd-chandelier-challenge.html (I always seem to mess up my linkage attempts, so if this link doesn’t work, just go to her comment and click on her to find it!), they are having a contest where we can try to do better than the contestants! Just make and inspiration board and you can win a signed copy of So Chic and something sparkly from Swarovski. Linda also has a podcast interview with Andrea Schroeder on the site today!

STINGY BRITCHES: First of all, you have the best username ever! Second, thanks for the insight on working for Martha! Fascinating! I take it you don’t go around saying “When Martha and I were jetting off to Martha’s house in Maine on Martha’s Gulfstream with Martha Martha Martha…” I still haven’t forgiven her for talking about the “terrible rocks” in Maine. They are a big part of what makes it so beautiful.

I’m writing too much again. I’ll quit for now!

becky from hatchs last blog post: The Real Housewives of 45 Minutes Away From Atlanta

36. becky from hatch commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 2:11pm

OH, CHECK THIS OUT! I was on commenter Linda Merrill’s Blogging Top Design Site http://bloggingtopdesign.blogspot.com/2008/10/btd-chandelier-challenge.html (I always seem to mess up my linkage attempts, so if this link doesn’t work, just go to her comment and click on her to find it!), they are having a contest where we can try to do better than the contestants! Just make and inspiration board and you can win a signed copy of So Chic and something sparkly from Swarovski. Linda also has a podcast interview with Andrea Schroeder on the site today!

I’m writing too much again. I’ll quit for now!

37. Amy Nieto commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 10:49pm

Well I have never seen this show. But based on those samples you provided my least fave rooms are Nathan’s and Eddie’s. Nathan has some fun elements, but they are not saying anything together. It’s just too much, At least from this angle. And Eddie’s is just too much that does not need to go in the same room.

Preston – I guess he has a knack for boutique hotels? *shrugs* But I think his design is the more cohesive and pleasing to the eye, in the sense that nothing seems too out of the element.

Andrea – Chic design, but somehow I think that mirror is too big. At least the frame, it feels SO bulky.

I am no expert, but this is my opinion!!

38. Amy Nieto commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 10:50pm

ETA: Maybe if Nathan had chosen a bigger mirror, or used the one on top, and then some smaller mirrors around it, it might have worked??? Honestly, my big issue with that room, and one that I JUST CANT GET OVER, is those three mirrors and the sun-burst thing. They’re all the same darn size!!

39. Amy Nieto commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 11:00pm

More…. lol im sorry.

Im wondering if Eddie’s chandelier could work on Andrea’s room, if she got rid of that GIGANTIC mirror? And used something different for the wall instead (or not), I don’t know.

Okay ill stop now lol

40. court commented
    October 24th, 2008 at 11:01pm

i’m so sick of hearing eddie and andrea name drop (martha and ricky schroder) … ugh. makes me want to vomit. can you please focus on decorating instead of your “connections”?

nathan’s room was ridonkulous! i think that my vision got worse by just looking at it…

41. Linda Merrill from ::Surroundings:: commented
    October 25th, 2008 at 12:27am

Becky – thanks for mentioning the contest over at Blogging Top Design. And, your link works! Also, aside from the fun prizes – Margaret Russell herself is our judge! So, this is a great chance for designers and fans alike to get their names and creativity in front of Ms. Russell!

Linda Merrill from ::Surroundings::s last blog post: Hooked On Houses House Tour

42. Cliff O'Neill commented
    October 25th, 2008 at 2:59pm

Oi vey, Eddie’s playing the gay villain role for all it’s worth and it’s making me 101 kinds of insane. That and his constantly-on-display butt crack are giving me nightmares.

Can’t wait for Jeff Lewis to throw Eddie to the wolves next week over his disastrous fashion choices (and alarming lack of original design style).

Cliff O’Neills last blog post: Top Design, Season 2: Light It Up (Or, I Give Up … Or Not. … Or Maybe I Do)

43. becky from hatch commented
    October 25th, 2008 at 4:09pm

AMY N – No expertise necessary! Welcome!

I am going to be sick. One of my favorite magazines is featuring Eddie Ross this month. WTH? Why is he getting so much love from the press? I don’t get it at all! Well, at least to counter-act this terrible mistake, the give decor8 a much-deserved plug :) Congrats Holly!

Sorry for the double-comment above. I hit the back button at some bad moment and accidentally submitted it twice.

becky from hatchs last blog post: Oprah Hearts Kindle

44. foundling commented
    October 25th, 2008 at 10:06pm

re: Eddie’s disbelief that India had never seen a sofa paired with a dining room table. Touch?, Eddie, touch?.

foundlings last blog post: found: bird napkin ring

45. Shannon commented
    October 26th, 2008 at 12:02am

Is it just me, or is anyone else out there counting down the days to the end of the Kelly Wearstler age and its resulting copycats?

46. M commented
    October 26th, 2008 at 5:28am

Please tell me how you are able to watch Top Design???? I’m in CH and would LOVE to know how to see BRAVO shows!

47. decor8 commented
    October 26th, 2008 at 7:05am

M (Morgan): I don’t watch Top Design here in Germany, I guess I could try Youtube.com but I haven’t even bothered. It’s not on television and I cannot find a ‘good’ clear version of it online, so I don’t bother watching. That is why my friend Becky writes this column each week. :(

48. M commented
    October 26th, 2008 at 7:28am

You’ve shattered my Top Design dreams! I was hoping Bravo was beginning to export to Germany because I know Project Runway is now on Dutch television. Oh well :(

49. thursday commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:52am

Huh. Well, I’m not thrilled with any of the designs this week – but honestly, my house is a mess – who am I to judge? I love Nathan and Eddie, actually. And I totally miss Wisit. Sorry, but Eddie is a TRIP! Perhaps it’s due to the lack of gays in my life… who knows? Now, mind you, I don’t want that room in my house. Or Nathan’s. Dear Lord, no! But those nasty chandeliers don’t help. I thought Andrea and Preston chose good colors to show off the lights… but Ondine’s chandelier was HORRIBLE. I don’t know who designed that thing, but I hate it.

Well, I watch the show for the personalities, not the designs. There you have it!

50. Kristiina commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 10:20am

Hey and where is Kelly??? I think she got sick and tired of the boring designs that the contestants were giving every week. Or maybe there was a disagreement between judges, gossip anyone???

51. Kristin commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 9:45pm

Well, since you asked…

I keep watching this show, trying to like it. But how can I take anything they say or present seriously when everyone is just a parody. WHY, oh why are the judges always dressed for a cocktail party? It just seems so inappropriate. I liked Eddie’s walls, but I hate his attitude. Every reality show needs the one you love to hate though, so I’m sure that’s why he’s there. I’m disappointed in Andrea that she signed up for the show, but couldn’t see it through. Think of soldiers who signed up for their jobs and spend not weeks, but months and years away from their families. Makes 6 weeks a walk in the park. I thought the chandelier (the point of the challenge) got lost in everyone’s rooms except Andrea’s. I thought the horse was the best think in Nathan’s room — loved the drama of it — but the rest was a train wreck. Even Preston’s chandelier competed with the star burst mirror. Too many mirrors overall. Too much over the top. Just too much.

Kristins last blog post: Princess and Pin-Up