Thanks, Domino!

I just found out over the weekend that decor8 was mentioned in the November 2008 issue of Domino magazine on page 40! Thanks, Domino!

What an honor to be highlighted as a “So Right Now” blog alongside many others, they did a nice job matching blogs by group and what a great moment to have the #1 shelter magazine in America highlight blogs as being a go-to source for inspiration and decorating tips and ideas. Fantastic. It’s what I’ve been hoping to see since early 2006 when I pitched a similar article idea to some of the big shelter mags and their editors turned me down flat. One even told me that, “blogs are written by inexperienced housewives who have no say in the design world”. Another told me, “blogs won’t stick” (this was in ’06), and finally I heard “blogs are of no interest to *this* magazine {click}” (funny because that magazine now has a blog two years later).

I can’t tell you how many times I cried after talking on the phone to such editors. Tears of frustration mixed mostly with anger. I didn’t feel deflated, I felt empowered… “We bloggers will SHOW THEM” was how I viewed every single snub I faced. And I was snubbed by many, trust me. “decor8 who?”, “You author a design blAg, oh um blOg, get to the point I have to take a call…”, “What is a blog, is that MySpace?”… But I had faith that the “little guy” and our voices would someday matter to the big guys. To say that I am excited to see Domino write about blogs is an understatement. I am OVER.THE.MOON. They have been supportive of blogging since day one, same goes for Elle Decor, never once did they snub blogs or make us feel unloved. They are smart, they see the value in both blog and magazine living together. Their mention of blogs as “So Right Now” is a tremendous vote not only for those mentioned (like me) but to many bloggers not mentioned since this will no doubt draw non-blog readers into the circle to see what ‘this blogging thing is all about’ and they’ll eventually find others by linking around.

Of course the magazine could not include all of the equally important and inspirational decorating/craft/design blogs out there (they number into the thousands)… So if you’re new to decor8 please know that the design blog community is made up of many great blogs which is why I have a visual blogroll — so readers can use that as a portal to finding the greatness that truly exists out there. Click here to be introduced to more great blogs.

And so more Domino readers who stop by can find YOU, please leave a comment here with a direct link to YOUR blog – shameless plugs welcome! The goal is to list as many blogs here as possible so that you can be part of this feature alongside of the blogs featured in the article. United we stand!

Thank you Domino, so much for recognizing us!

(images from domino magazine and scanned image from Sara on Flickr)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, press on October 27, 2008

1. sian commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:07am

congrats!!!

one of my products just got featured in a magazine, then a few blogs followed suit, feels great :)

2. amy commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:21am

congrats Holly. This is exciting!!!!! congrats!

amys last blog post: The Maple Wood Egg Shaker Teether Toy

3. Erin commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:26am

I can’t believe that even in 2006 someone said that they don’t do “blogs”. Bet they’re kicking themselves now! Those responses you got from those mags obviously came out of arrogance – believing that people want an “authority” to tell them how to do design, when really, what we want is personal experiences from people just like us.

My blog is just a personal one – not even about design – but hey, it’s out there :).

Erins last blog post: No Sleep till Frankfurt

4. sue commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:31am

so wonderful for you & so well deserved! a goal this blogger…http://www.solsticehome.blogspot.com, would one day love to achieve.
    sue

sues last blog post: Antique Ink Bottle

5. Shanon commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:33am

Holly, I’m so happy for you!
    *joy*

Shanons last blog post: Into the Clover

6. Jamie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:33am

Congratulations Holly! It’s great to see you and Decor8 get the attention and credit deserved.

Jamies last blog post: Road

7. Ann commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:38am

Congrats! It takes a lot to really shake up established industries sometimes, doesn’t it? Just remember that blogs wouldn’t be taken seriously today if it weren’t for bloggers like you. Because it is more than just blogging, it’s obvious hard work, insight, information and making a connection.

Anns last blog post: Fix it Up, Wear it Out?

8. Jessie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:44am

Just got this issue in the mail – I was “saving” it to read with coffee this morning – Now I’m so excited to turn to page 40!

Jessies last blog post: 33 spankin’s (or, happy birthday to me!)

9. Trina commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:54am

Firstly, congrats Holly! I just picked up my new Domino last friday night, and I too was so excited to see that story, and that decor8 was mentioned! You deserve it!

Ever since I started my own blog back in July, I have been overwhelmed with such a positive response from other bloggers and reader’s from all over the world! It’s a fantastic community to be part of, and it will only grow, and get better!

Trinas last blog post: Bride & Wolfe

10. Christine commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 8:56am

Hi there, Christine from Lavender and Limes (http://lavenderlimes.blogspot.com/)! Congrats on the mention Holly!

Christines last blog post: Ribbon Board Tutorial

11. sue commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:11am

so wonderful for you & so well deserved! a goal this blogger, http://www.solsticehome.blogspot.com, would one day love to achieve.
    sue

sues last blog post: Sharing a great idea

12. Francine commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:12am

Congratulations! That’s a great achievement and says a lot about how far blogging has come!

Francines last blog post: Pink or Blue?

13. rowena commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:13am

I saw that article in Domino and was very excited to see you and some of my favorites. I write about creativity in general, painting, designing, writing, the creative process, and some things about being a mom. I can’t wait to start incorporating decorating… but I have to find a new place, first. It’s all tied together, though, with a beatuiful ribbon. http://warriorgirl.blogspot.com/

rowenas last blog post: Two Flying Girls and A Warrior Girl in Space

14. Maria commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:13am

Congratulations! and great post….
    Maria.

Marias last blog post: Happy weekend!

15. Dovely commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:22am

Our blog is at http://www.berdandbee.com! we write about diy-interior design! and feature lots of indie artists as well :)

Dovelys last blog post: Soy Pinecone Candle

16. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:23am

Congratulations Holly! This is so fantastic and so kind of you to share the love with all! :)
    xo
    Melis

17. Kristin commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:25am

Congrats! I haven’t gotten my issue yet but now I can’t wait!!

18. Kate F. commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:28am

Congrats, Holly! I mostly blog about food, but my house renovation has slipped in and I have been ever-more-tempted to write more about design and interiors lately! Plus every well-designed home should play host to delicious dinner parties…. http://katek.wordpress.com/

Kate F.s last blog post: CSA: Week 15, the best fall pasta you will make this year

19. Flipperdelph commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:32am

Wouah, congratulations !! That’s great for you, really, and well deserved too ! You make me realize I didn’t buy the last Domino issue yet…I ‘.ll definitely have to !

Flipperdelphs last blog post: Inspiration Cuisine ! Kitchen Inspiration

20. Katie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:37am

Congratulations, Holly! I’m so glad to see Decor8 listed in Domino.

I blog about creating an inspiring home–like Holly, I’m an American in Germany. http://www.makingthishome.com

Katies last blog post: 3 Reasons I?m Thinking This May Take a While

21. Camila commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:47am

Hi Holly,

Congrats! I have yet to get my monthy Domino in the mail yet. I kept reading that bloggers were going to be featured and it’s driving me nutty not knowing who is in it. It better at my house this afternoon. Thanks for the little tid bit of info. I’m so happy to hear that you were noted. You completely deserve it. I’m in the process of starting my own interior decorating, event design business and you are one of my go to blogs for inspiration.

Camilas last blog post: Bananas over Bananas?

22. Rachel commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:49am

Congratulations Holly! It’s about time that publications recognize the blog world as a force of it’s own.

My blog is http://weblog.buttonsmagee.com

Rachels last blog post: 24.oct.2008

23. nichole commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:51am

Holly –

First of all, this post is fabulous! I know exactly how you feel.

I’ve been a writer for ten years, and an avid blogger and blog reader. I can’t tell you how many meetings I’ve been a part of (even in 2008!) where clients shun the idea of a blog, and I like you, have had to explain that blogs are not myspace, facebook, or pointless drivel written by (gulp) housewives.

It’s amazing to me how very few people really know how wonderful the blogging community is. I find bloggers to be among the smartest, savviest people I know, and far ahead of the curve.

When companies/corporations *do* try to incorporate blogs, they often do so without really understanding what makes blogs special.

Bravo TV is an example of this. I wrote their beauty and fashion blog for a few years, and in the course of my tenure there, the number of blogs grew to HUNDREDS. It was very difficult to navigate the blogs, and it was a clear “jump-on-the-blog-bandwagon” for the sake of jumping on the blog bandwagon.

They have since weeded some out, but it’s still maddening.

Many of my clients (I am a copywriter in the beauty industry), try to incorporate blogs on their e-commerce sites, and it’s a disaster. Their efforts to hawk their products is transparent, and the blogs don’t really add any value.

The blogs I love (yours chief among them!), feature fabulous daily finds, visual treats and snippets of life from the writer. I’ve developed quite a few blog crushes, and it’s such a joy to visit them each day.

I am glad that shelter mags and mags in general have taken notice of this.

My little slice of bogville is here: http://littlebrownpen.blogspot.com/

Have a lovely day!
    Nichole

nicholes last blog post: Winter White

24. julieann commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:56am

Thanks Holly, you truly paved the way for so many of us to blog with pride! All of your press is well deserved!!! When you get back “home” we have to meet to toast and celebrate all this great press!
    Julie

julieanns last blog post: Welcome to CreateGirl

25. Maureen commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:57am

Way 2 go…what you have said is so the message that was given to us over and over at the DC Blogher conference. The sponsors of THAT event got it! Blogging IS where it’s at and we women make big $$$ decisions.

I’m a personal blog and ya know what…I have fun with it!

Maureens last blog post: LetsDish Goes Pink

26. decor8 commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:58am

Julieann – Congratulations on your new blog my dear! Yay! A new blogger in Boston. Rock on baby. Yes we have to meet up again when I’m back. :) For sure.

27. magikquilter commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:00am

Congratulations and fascinating reading what you went through in the beginning with trying to get design blogs accepted as mainstream and worthy. I so understand the tears of anger.

My blog is a mix of homewares design, fabulous fabrics, great thrift finds, the odd book review and the occasional little snippet of life from my perspective thrown in …thanks for giving us the opportunity to share with you.

magikquilters last blog post: Fabric Finds Me

28. Fiona commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:05am

Congratulations Holly!
    We are also being featured in the Holiday(December) issue of Domino and I was over the top excited when I found out.

“Cafe Cartolina is a daily design blog that features the art and inspiration behind my stationery business, Cartolina Cards. A popular read with other designers, we feature a daily dose of illustration, pattern, decor, vintage items and cool stores from around the globe. If you enjoy an eclectic, multi-cultural, bold and colourful start to your morning, you’ll love Cafe Cartolina.”

Fionas last blog post:

29. Nicole commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:06am

How exciting – CONGRATS Holly! I have been saving my Domino (I am always so sad when I am finished reading it, I try to wait a couple of days to extend the experience! ;) but will have to dive in tonight!

Nicoles last blog post: Craftiness: Sock Monkey (and more!)

30. Sam commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:06am

Yay for the little guy, or gal :)

Sams last blog post: Sneak Peeking

31. Ali J commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:16am

Shameless plug? Of course!

I’m an australian based up and coming fashion illustrator. :)

thanks for sharing the love!

32. Kara commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:17am

Hi Holly,
    I am so happy for you and decor*! I have been inspired by your blog countless times and I have been really enjoying your more personal posts lately! I am a designer for a large corporation during the day, and I have started a blog to keep myself inspired and active as an artist at home. Thanks for the invitation to share, as it can be intimidating to put yourself out there!

Karas last blog post: new projects!

33. moodboard commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:22am

congrats Holly! I actually like the way Domino presented the bloggers on their website, since it gave a little window into each of the blogger’s aesthetic

My blog, http://www.moodboard.typepad.com/, combines my love of fashion and home design.

moodboards last blog post: Tuesday Thrifting: A Day Late

34. Shelley commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:26am

Congrautlations, Holly!

As a letterpress and design shop, our blog is really geared towards keeping our friends, fans and fellow printers up to date on the latest in the shop (since website updates often take quite a bit longer), with occasional sidebars into printing issues: albertinepress.blogspot.com

Keep up the great blogging work – and enjoy the rest of your time in Germany!

Shelley

Shelleys last blog post: Getting down to business

35. mackenzie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:26am

The props are so well deserved. Congratulations!
    It’s interesting… until recently, I’ve gotten the same cold shoulder from the Bridal Mags – blogs didn’t interest them. Now, it’s a different story. I get the feeling that the maggies have finally come around, maybe there was some sort of memo?

mackenzies last blog post: updo tutorials

36. Diana Evans commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:37am

Congratulations Holly!!! thanks for sharing you experiences with all of your readers….

I love your blog and all the wonderful work you put into it….it is successful because you have a true passion for what you do!!!

I have a passion for art….so I hope people pop by my blog…

Cheers,
    Diana

Diana Evanss last blog post: My latest series…and my submission to Mixed Media Monday

37. Dawn commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:38am

Congrats, Holly! I read your blog regularly…you’re in my Bloglines. And if you want to read about art journals and anything related to them, please come to my blog: http://www.dblogala.typepad.com

I am the author of 1000 Artist Journal Pages, which will totally inspire you to art journal if you never have before! Thanks for the invite for the plug!

Dawns last blog post: Bad Blogger, Bad…

38. Mandi commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:40am

I’m so glad you stuck with it! Your blog is one of my very favorite reads. You can count on Domino to see what’s really “happening” in the design world today. Design is for the every day person, not just the hot shots with an executive suite. So congratulations!

My blog doesn’t really fit into any category… it’s just my personal blog. But here it is:

Mandis last blog post: summary of a road trip

39. decor8 commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:47am

Moodboard: I didn’t even see that! Thanks for the link. I’m rolling on the floor laughing because somehow Domino dug up what decor8 looked like in 2006 when I had JUST launched my blog. I kept that template for 7 weeks and then I managed to change into a white background with a really BAD homemade header that I had made to look like a moodboard. This is such a riot, I wonder how they found that image, I was always upset with myself for not saving a screenshot of it. I have to ask the Domino editor now!!

40. Mundania Horvath commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:56am

My partner introduced me to your blog a while back. So when we received our copy of Domino magazine in the mail the other day I was excited to see they had your blog in there! Congratulations!!!

This entry was also really great to read and very inspiring. It let’s people know that sometimes you have to just keep trying and not give up. I create illustrations / collage work and I’m finally getting around to sending my postcards around to different creative directors to see what happens.

I put it off so long because I get discouraged seeing so many different and wonderful artists out there. I have to get over that and just keep my head up. I was reminded that after reading your entry.

Mundania

Mundania Horvaths last blog post: Iso50 poster

41. Sherrie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:07am

Funny. Blogs almost seemed close to a peak in 2006. And now they are a regular diet for so many. Blogs seem to be more of a personal connection, and also less of an advertisement than so much of the content found in some articles.

Well, I regularly stop here, and rarely stop at magazine Web sites, because I can avoid sifting through all of the information they post and find stuff I like from people whose style I trust…on their blog. :)

http://opaqueskies.blogspot.com. It’s rather undefined, but definitely full of variety. I post Tuesdays-Fridays. My latest feature highlights three awesome photographers, and tomorrow I’ll have an etsy pick and a cute scarf pick.

Sherries last blog post: Randy Bacon

42. Susanne commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:15am

Holly,
    sooooo many people enjoy reading your blog, are inspired by it – including me ! Keep up the good work. There is lots of arrogance and narrow-minded people out there. Susanne

43. jess gonacha commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:19am

This is so great! I was just thinking the other day about how wonderful it is that you can get so much information and inspiration form people all over the world with different viewpoints and experiences, and it’s often more personal and fun than, say, a magazine. i’m thrilled that the blog world has become so vast and varied– congrats on being such a driving force in this special part of all of our worlds! :)

{ps: here’s my blog: http://www.jessgonacha.blogspot.com– since you invited us to do so!}

44. Jules commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:29am

Holly,

I’m sure they used something like the “Way Back Machine” from archive.org. It regularly captures screen shots of sites on the web. Here is the link: http://www.archive.org/index.php (To the way back machine, not my blog. My blog is a personal one, so not of much interest to design fans!)

Juless last blog post: Favorite Moment | The Mister

45. Jules commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:31am

But since we are plugging blogs to people who may not be familiar with them, of course I feel everyone should visit my friend Nicole’s blog. http://www.makingitlovely.com :)

Juless last blog post: Favorite Moment | The Mister

46. Design for Mankind commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:36am

I loved this post, Holly. I’m so excited to see that you truly appreciate this article not because of the good press, but because of what it means for the blog movement as a whole. Thank you for being passionate about us little ones! :)

47. Clementine Cassie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:36am

Congrats, Holly!! Blogs are truly the modern tipping point for fashion and design. Glad to see you getting some much-deserved recognition!

Clementine Cassies last blog post: Rainy Day Clunk

48. Amanda commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:37am

Personally, I have found more inspiration, motivation, and ideas from blogs than most shelter mags – I prefer the scaled down reality of small budgets, realistic goals, and diy successes and failures!

decor8 is one of my daily reads – you deserve the recognition!

My Boston-based design/decor blog: http://redjetwhistle.blogspot.com/

Amandas last blog post: Fall Colors Contest!

49. Tiffany commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:43am

Holly, your passion is an inspiration to all of us out there attempting to plug into the amazing creative spirit that birthed the blog in the first place. You’re one of the reasons I started blogging myself and you are a daily inspiration to me in my creative endeavors. Bravo and keep it going!!

Here’s my own blog for those who might be interested in taking a peek:

Tiffanys last blog post: The Cure – Week Two

50. Jersey Girl in DC commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:55am

Thank you for doing this post! I can’t believe that one comment about ‘housewives’ – how incredibly rude! I think you and your blog are amazing and show how influential a woman with a mission and passion can be! Thanks again for this post and drawing attention to all of us bloggers :)

Here are links to my two blogs for those interested.

my Big Fat Italian wedding:

just Beachy in the city:

Jersey Girl in DCs last blog post: GOWNS: Vintage-Inspired

51. Kate commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:57am

Congratulations…that’s so wonderful and well deserved! Yours was one of the first blogs I started reading and I’m sure inspired me (as well as many others) to start online adventures of their own :)

Kates last blog post: Back again…

52. Charlie @ So Lovely commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:18pm

Here’s a great article that Andrew Sullivan from The Atlantic wrote about why he blogs. He started just before 9/11 and its truly inspirational. This is for all the bloggers out there who don’t think anyone is reading theirs and why everyone should continue writing.

Charlie @ So Lovelys last blog post: The Weekend

53. Marianne commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:19pm

Congratulation Holly!
    I will take advantage of the offer to advertise my blog here!

Mariannes last blog post: Some pics!

54. Norine commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:36pm

Congratulations, Holly. You rank in my top three blogs to follow. I agree that blogs are the hottest thing in decorating and are filling a niche that most regular shelter mags have missed over the years and continue to miss.

Now, onto the shameless plug part — Our blog is very specific – it covers plaster wall finishes. I think that texture and pattern and colors on walls is something that everyone tries to incorporate into the design of their home, whether through art, wallpaper, plaster finishes, or paint. I think that most people have one idea of what kind of rooms venetian plaster and finishes like that can work in and we want to show alternatives.

Norines last blog post: Looking Up

55. Kate commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:40pm

congrats!! blogging is here to stay and it’s an integral part of the indie craft/diy revolution! now if only I had more time to read all the fabulous blogs out there… too addictive! Here’s my blog: http://paperleafstudio.blogspot.com/

Kates last blog post: Weekend

56. Diane commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:52pm

Congrats! You totally deserve it! I’ve been following your blog for a long time, and I always find tons of beautiful inspiration here.

Dianes last blog post: And that’s why you should always use an umbrella

57. cathinca commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:55pm

Hi Holly, congrats from berlin! My blog is mostly about interior design, kids rooms and things, that inspire me for my home and in general – and its in german, so if you need to improve your german language skills ;)…

xxx cathinca

cathincas last blog post: Es ist Herbst…

58. Jena commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 12:58pm

Yes, thank you Holly for supporting us little ones! I started Modish (http://www.modishblog.com) in April 06 in large part after discovering your wonderful blog and wanting to create a similar space just to showcase handmade goods. Your interview with me oh so long ago helped me gain readership early on, and I’m still grateful to you for that. You’re a great support for burgeoning bloggers and artists alike. I’m happy to have had you as one of my first blogger influences, and even happier to have you as part of the handmade movement now! Congrats on the recognition in Domino, and here’s to more where that came from! Thanks for everything, Holly! <3

Jenas last blog post: Why you buggin?

59. skye commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:00pm

so exciting! a truly great moment.
    a pretty pill ~ http://www.skyetruax.blogspot.com

skyes last blog post: toast winter collection

60. julie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:02pm

congrats Holly! this is so exciting and it’s wonderful to be recognized, especially because all of us who blog on a regular basis know how much time, effort and creativity go in to our blogs! here’s a link to my blog if anyone would like to check it out:

julies last blog post: Child of the 80′s

61. lindsay commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:16pm

Congrats Holly! I was happy to see some of my favorite blogs featured in Domino, as they are my go to source between issues :)

My blog features my artwork and daily nonsense…
    located at http://www.lindsaybrackeen.blogspot.com

lindsays last blog post: cracks me up…

62. Leigh commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:16pm

Congratulations Holly, and thank you so much for your generosity. Decor8 and Haus Maus are constant sources of delight and inspiration — you deserve every bit of acclaim!

I am an artist (http://www.leighpennebaker.com) currently authoring a blog called Marvelous Kiddo, which focuses on the things that I am most passionate about in life: Motherhood, Art, Design, Style, Fashion. Check it out!

xoxo!

Leighs last blog post: Things I Heart this Weekend…

63. Rose commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:25pm

Congratulations on the Domino mention!! I’ve been an avid visitor to your blog for a few years now, and this is well deserved!

My blog is new, but something that I really enjoy doing. It focuses on decor, fashion, housewares, etsy finds etc.

Roses last blog post: Jen Lobo

64. Ellie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 1:34pm

Congrats, Holly! Personally I’m unable to wait for those design magazines to come out monthly and I’m not sure what we all did before blogs. Let’s hear it for inspiration daily!

Ellies last blog post: a little peek

65. molly commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:00pm

Congratulations Holly – well deserved! I gain so much inspiration from your blog, and others I visit!

mollys last blog post: Sneak Peak…

66. Michelle commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:04pm

It’s become very obvious to me that shelter mags are getting article ideas straight from decor blogs. As much as I love flipping through a design magazine they may go the way of the newspaper. Their contact is starting to feel stale since I’ve usually already read several topics on several different blogs months before a magazine prints them.

Shameless plug time, here’s my blog where I wrote mostly about interior decorating: http:/vertigodesignevolution.blogspot.com

I’m pretty knew to blogging although I have to admit that once just a few people start reading your blog you definitly feel a responsibility to make sure that your blog is regularly update and keep your readers entertained.

67. Julia commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:08pm

Hi Holly,

I just started a blog about living luxuriously on a small budget.

It was created based on my experience of buying furniture on a dime and things I’ve learned living on my own. It’s at it’s baby stages now, but I will be doing some major updates this week.

Julia

68. Jessica Jones commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Holly, that’s excellent! Thanks for being a champion of bloggers everywhere. (And for links you’ve posted to How About Orange!

Jessica Joness last blog post: Do judge a book by its cover

69. tracy-lynne commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Your blog is one of the first ones I ever read-I must say it inspired me to start my own. You go Girl!!!! you deserve it.

tracy-lynnes last blog post: 6 cans and all we got was this ugly blue-Happy Blue Monday

70. alston commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:37pm

hi holly – congratulations on your well-deserved mention!

i have a design blog [www.bwisepapers.blogspot.com] as a companion to my stationery company [www.b.wisepapers.com] and i love it – such a great way to connect with people from all over.

cheers to blogging!

alstons last blog post: To Make Your Day Merry + Bright…

71. leah commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Congrats on the mention in Domino! And thanks for the invitation to share our blogs here. I run a blog where I share my own artwork and also lead challenges such as “Art Every Day Month” every November (this will be our 6th year!) and “Creative Every Day 2008.”

leahs last blog post: Creative Every Day: October 27th – November 2nd, 2008

72. shoppingsmycardio commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:45pm

leave it to you to turn such a fab accomplishment into an opportunity for others. you’re amazing, as always.

xo,
    becki

shoppingsmycardios last blog post: SMC giveaway: shannon nicole headbands!

73. tula commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:46pm

holly, you are, indeed, the queen of the fabulous and inspirational!

i’ve actually had the honor of being mentioned in domino’s blog before (thanks, rita konig!). my blog is dedicated to the design of the offbeat and lovely. it’s called WHORANGE (rhymes with “orange!”)

tulas last blog post: whorangette birthday

74. Grace@PoeticHome commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 2:47pm

Congratulations on the mention, which is more than deserved!! I am sad to hear about how negative and rude some editors were — and I give you tremendous kudos to you for staying resolute in your belief and inspiration…which has in turn inspired hundreds of blogs :)

I blog about “living in vintage poetry,” with a particular fondness for repurposing vintage goods into unique home decor elements.

Grace@PoeticHomes last blog post: Honorable Fridays in Tosa-Shimizu

75. lori commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 3:08pm

thanks for the great exposure holly! not that my blog is all that great, but i always welcome more readers!

loris last blog post: order early!

76. danielle commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 3:36pm

Congratulations Holly! This is well deserved!!!

danielles last blog post: the style files mentioned in domino magazine

77. Rachel commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 3:43pm

How fabulous, congratulations!

My blog, One Pretty Thing, links to 40+ DIY projects, how-to’s and tutorials every day!

78. Carrie commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 3:50pm

This is so great!!! Many, many congrats Holly! And congrats to Grace and Victoria as well. The three of you make up the #1-3 spots daily for my blog reads as you have for some time so I am SO happy to see all of you featured there together. Hugs and Cheers to you!!

Carries last blog post: prezzies!!! yay!!!

79. All Things Lovely commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:00pm

Woohooo!! That’s so fantastic. Now it’s trying to convince friends and family that it’s worthwhile research. :)

Oh, shameless plug: http://allthingslovely.typepad.com

All Things Lovelys last blog post: Pop In My Shop

80. Nikko Moy commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:03pm

Well deserved Holly! Wonderful news!

81. Melisa commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:09pm

Congrats! I caught the article myself this week while reading Domino and I was so happy to see blogs (particularly yours mentioned). I had to read it two times because I was so surprised to be reading about blogs in the mag.

And to that housewife comment…I can’t believe someone said that. Okay, well maybe I can, but what people forget is that most of us housewives had careers in the corporate world. It’s just a choice and a different world that people too often look down upon because they don’t understand. Blogging has really helped provide a sense of community and an opportunity to express oneself, even if they are a housewife :)

Melisas last blog post: Little Stars, Big Gift Ideas

82. Vanessa commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:24pm

Just read Domino on a lazy Sunday yesterday and was glad to see you mentioned, Holly. Your positive energy is infectious and I love to check in with what you’re up to daily.

Here’s my contribution to the web: huntpeck.blogspot.com

I post everything from my latest window-shopping trip on Abbott Kinney in Venice, Ca to favorite unaffordable lamps to photographs of Moose storming my campsite. It’s a bit, shall we say, unrefined. In a good way I hope.

Happy Monday, folks!
    -Vanessa

Vanessas last blog post: AWOL – Always West Of Lincoln

83. Lexy commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:34pm

Congrats Holly! And well deserved :)

I’ve only had a blog since March this year – I don’t know why I took so long! It’s such a great motivator to actually be able to show someone your artwork. I wouldn’t have got nearly as much artwork done in the past 10 months, I don’t think, if I didn’t have a blog. Despite having to spell B-L-O-G when anyone says “Have a look at your WHAT?!”

For anyone who’s interested, you can find art and *new* Curiosities, from this Aussie girl, here:

[Or my Gallery page here: http://www.lexy.typepad.com/gallery

Lexys last blog post: Etsy Shop Update: Price Drop!

84. Miss B. commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:36pm

How exciting to find that great news out! Hopefully it brings many new readers your way!

Miss B.s last blog post: Ez DOES IT…

85. Jennifer Fuchs commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:52pm

Hi Holly…
    That is awesome, Domino is one of my favorites! And thanks for letting us share our Blogs too!
    Jennifer
    Art and Redesigned Creations

Jennifer Fuchss last blog post: Hi there….

86. Kim commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 5:10pm

Congrats Holly! I think you totally deserve it. Your passion seriously keeps me going.

I write about design in terms of home and clothing. Pretty much everything that catches my fancy goes on my blog, hence the name http://www.allthatanda.com

Kims last blog post: pretty art: saelee oh

87. shay commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 6:09pm

Blogs are sooo “right now”.Thank goodness you continued on in spite of the negative comments from the editors. Your blog is #1. We all know it.
    Shay

88. cindy k commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 6:16pm

congratulations holly! incredible success is always the best way to say, ‘see, i told you so’.

cindy ks last blog post: garden : kiku

89. belinda commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 6:44pm

Congrats Holly! I have to say I’m astounded at the response you had from some mags. And disappointed. As someone who works for a “shelter” mag – Real Living – (we call them homes and lifestyle titles in Australia!) I cannot imagine how we’d get by now without blogs. Obviously we would, but I’ve found them a huge source of inspiration and our mag has published endless articles, decorating features and product plugs from things we’ve seeng via great blogs such as your own and by blogging ourselves. In fact, we’ve even featured blogger’s homes before and have another in the works. I really hope the rudeness you experienced is in the minority… or maybe our give-em-a-go attitude is in the minority! Shame if it is. Funny how once it’s a trend, they’re on the bandwagon – just as they write about month-to-month.
    Bxx

belindas last blog post: Room with a (fake) view

90. MaritereCR commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 6:45pm

Congratulations Holly! I had just come to tell you I was reading my new issue of Domino (a favorite) and found your blog mention!!! How exciting; wow!!!! Keep up the great work… :)

MaritereCRs last blog post: Paris, Je T'aime – 8 x 10 Fine Art Photographic Print

91. LeilaMac commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Congrats Holly!!! I love your blog and love that you got the recognition you deserve!

My shameless plug…a blog that’s been in the works in my head for a few years but one that I just started up this fall! I write mostly about design and decor that I think up or come across:

Now I have a place to talk about my ideas so I don’t drive my husband crazy! :)

LeilaMacs last blog post: {tour de home} a modern historical home

92. CK commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 7:28pm

congratulations, holly! so well deserved. you are one of my main sources for ideas and inspiration. thank you for all that you do.

i’ve been meaning to send you my banner to be considered for your blogroll. it’s on my to do list! in the meantime, here’s a direct link to my blog.

thanks again!
    carrie

CKs last blog post: ME, ON A DAILY BASIS.

93. liz commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 7:43pm

Wow, that’s fantastic! I write about color, art and design at:

and my french bulldog writes about art and life at:

:) Liz

lizs last blog post: I?m Back!

94. coral commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Congrats Holly! I can’t wait to get the issue – why does it always take longer to get the subscription than just buying it at the store?

corals last blog post: little pink houses

95. catherine commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:02pm

Friday on my to do list was : Read the last DOMINO, just received. I did and saw your name. FELICITATIONS !

catherines last blog post: Magazines

96. suzanne commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 10:10pm

CONGRATS!! That’s awesome – love your blog and love Domino too!!!

suzannes last blog post: Quote of the Day

97. Kristy commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:00pm

Congratulations, I just started reading through my issue of Domino this morning,…now I will keep an eye open for that page.

For anyone interested, this is the link to my blog on photography, home decor, etc.

Kristys last blog post: Some inspiration?

98. paperNstitch commented
    October 27th, 2008 at 11:54pm

Congratulations Holly! That is great. And thanks so much for letting everyone post links to their blogs as well…

My blog is called papernstitch. I feature design, art, and handmade.

paperNstitchs last blog post: Don?t Forget

99. Taylor commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 12:46am

I just received my issue, today, so I hadn’t had a chance to notice a shout-out to you and other design-related blogs. The only thing I don’t like is their wording of “so right now”. It makes it sound like design blogs are fads and will fade with the Spring season.

I DO love Domino’s MY DECO FILE! That is amazing! Now you have no need for paper inspirational books!

My Blog

Taylors last blog post: No Snow For Me, Thank You!

100. Sylvie commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 12:51am

Big hugs and congratulations Holly. You really deserve the recognition, for being great at what you do and for holding strong and staying with it. All the best wishes,
    xo Sylvie

101. Bree commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 1:51am

That’s great Holly! Always love reading your finds! Hope to see you in Copenhagen with Sidsel in Nov.! :)

102. mrs. french commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 2:08am

such an inspirational post…I was thrilled to see you in domino, it means so much more now. Gals like you have paved the way for gals like me…
    xo Traci

mrs. frenchs last blog post: I heart monday: TOAST edition

103. Joleen commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 2:15am

So, so great! Congrats on the mention! :)

Joleens last blog post: ‘Roid Week 2008

104. Gizel commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 3:29am

WOW! Congratulations! It’s no surprise that Decor 8 is a IT blog ;) but it’s a surprise that most magazines still don’t recognize the communicative power of blogs. I still love magazines.I love the large photos and the feeling of flipping through the pages but for really creative objects, designs and inspiration blogs are the most avant-gard source. How long will it take for magazines to recognize the return of crafts ? They probably continue to ignore this already huge revolution (OK, don’t get too excited here) just because it doesn’t bring them commercial revenue. Anyway, we won’t let the big sharks spoil our fun: A big hooray for the blog community and for you!

Gizels last blog post: decoration in process

105. karen commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 9:03am

Just so you know, I stopped reading (and buying) magazines when I discovered your blog. Those mag people live a bubble. You make design accessible to real people. You empowered me and changed everything. The mentions you give to the “little guy” are forcing the design world to change. The venue you offer for etsy creators and diy artists is making the design world shift – from an elite closed world that requires money and connections to one that values creativity and hardwork. Thank you.

106. bussbuss commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 9:45am

Just saw the feature – HUGE congrats! I love Domino and hope they stick around, but more importantly, I hope you and all of the other wonderful design and fashion blogs I’m addicted to and inspired by stick around for the long haul.

Keep up the great work!
    Kelly

The Online Shopping Bible.

107. Jessica commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 10:32am

Congratulations! And thank you for representing for all of us….

Jessica

Jessicas last blog post: My Flowers and Closet Layout are on Apartment Therapy!

108. chiara commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 10:38am

YAY for domino, and yay for your visual blogroll, which is a great resource. and now this list too, with all these new blogs to check out!
    thank you!

chiaras last blog post: slim pickins

109. Melodie commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 11:40am

My blog is dedicated to vintage children’s clothing and my store http://www.pinkcupcakevintage.com

Melodies last blog post: Schoolhouse Sweater- Size 12mos

110. Liv commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Congrats! I am so excited to read my new issue of domino!! I love that mag and I love your blogs.

I’m glad you finally feel vindicated now. Perseverance sure pays off :)

111. Fubiz commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 12:22pm

Maybe http://www.fubiz.net – Daily dose of inspiration.

Fubizs last blog post: Loneclone Vfx

112. Shereen commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 1:17pm
  113. Stephanie F commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 2:13pm

hey, congrats! it’s so wonderful that you’re being recognized, I know I read every single day :)

Stephanie Fs last blog post: The Infamous Potato Soup

114. petra commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 2:50pm

+++thanks+++

petras last blog post: Lieber guter Weihnachtsmann…

115. JENNIFER RAMOS commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 3:23pm

Thats great , congrats!! I know how you feel. : )
    Holly, please check your email, i emailed you a few days ago…did you receive it?

Jen Ramos
    ’100% Recycled DESIGNER Cards & More’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

116. decor8 commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 3:44pm

No Jennifer, where did you send it? yahoo, decor8blog.com or gmail? It’s no where to be found… Can you resend please? Thanks my dear!

117. Christen commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 4:18pm

Congratulations on the nod! As someone who also works for a publishing company with many, many magazines, I’d have to say that blogs are our lifeline. We depend and value them so much that we publish a magazine on them, Artful Blogging.

http://www.thedeliberatelife.typepad.com is my blog. It’s nothing in particular … just my journey to making life more meaningful, with the inclusion of food, books and crafts.

118. Alicia commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 8:21pm

Oh, shameless plugs, finally:

http://sunnydayhappyface.blogspot.com – I blog about a variety of things in my life, but I try to focus on photography, design, DIY, and anything home-related. =)

Alicias last blog post: oh gloomy day

119. robyn commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Congratulations! I can kind of understand how you feel, similar to how I felt when you featured me on Decor8. You do such wonderful things for others, it’s only natural that karma run it’s course.

robyns last blog post: Ninjas vs Pirates Protestzorz 2008!

120. Nicki commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 9:30pm

Woohoo!!! I was so excited when I saw your blog mentioned in Domino. I can only imagine how great it made you feel. Congratulations!!!!

121. phyllis commented
    October 28th, 2008 at 11:44pm

Yeah, magazines can snub if they like but my $ isn’t going to them anymore…blogs are just more interesting to me.

122. Jen commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 12:53am

Congrats on the spread! I love your site and always feel so inspired! I am currently getting ideas for a new bathroom. Fun yet overwhelming. Any ideas? My blog is raisinggranola.blogspot.com

123. MaryBeth commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 1:59am

well its about time!!!!
    For once i agree with a main stream media opinion! A standing ovation to you for being YOU and remaining enthusiastic through out,– what i now know has been a long journey for you
    and never giving up!!
    xo
    MB

MaryBeths last blog post: I can see clearly

124. Brooke H commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 2:27am

Congrats Holly! I was so excited when I saw Decor8 in Domino, my absolute favorite magazine since its debut!

Brooke Hs last blog post: Lily

125. annkent commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 10:12am

Congratulations! That is way cool!

126. Stephanie commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 10:51am

Welcome Domino readers. Please don’t waste your time clicking over to my blog. No offense it’s just that it is just pics of my baby no design stuff there. I just had to come on and say I love Decor8 and I love Domino. So great to see the two mediums of print and tech finally working together. Domino is the only design mag I subscribe to now because I have found so much inspiration in blogland. Take that blog naysayers.

127. nicole commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 3:42pm

Congrats on the mention in Domino, Holly! It’s so great that blogs are FINALLY getting the attention, support, and respect that they deserve! :)

128. muralimanohar commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 6:43pm

Congratulations on your Domino appearance!! And a big, fat, thank you for your work in legitimizing the blogworld. :p

My own shameless plug: http://miscellanyofme.blogspot.com :D

muralimanohars last blog post: It just keeps coming..

129. Jennifer Hassell commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 8:35pm

I just read this article and thought it was great as I also read many of the great blogs that were mentioned including this one. Blogs are great because you get DAILY inspiration as opposed to just monthly and don’t we all need that? I don’t have a blog (I can’t even begin to compete with these amazing blogs) but I have a new website that sells a lot of the great product I find on these terrific blogs. Please check it out.

130. greenolive commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 10:04pm

Isn’t is great when print media has to acknowledge/feature online media? Don’t these magazine editors know about web 2.0?

Anyway, congratulations. And thanks for letting the rest of us have 15 minutes of fame on your coat tales…

I blog about my journey reconnecting with the designer I used to be before I climbed the corporate ladder and then was rudely pushed off! Instead of graphics this time I’m dabbling with textiles. And I love scarves!!

greenolives last blog post: an etsy update

131. delphine studio commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 11:23pm

Holly, I was so happy to see your mention in Domino! Yay! And I love this post–especially all the comments, which have introduced me to lots of fun new blogs to visit!
    Here are a few of my favorite blogs:
    ** the scoop ** http://www.orangebeautiful.com/blog
    ** bace (business and creative exchange) ** http://bace.mellim.com
    and of course check out my own blog:
    ** delphine ephemera ** http://www.delphine-ephemera.blogspot.com

delphine studios last blog post: welcome, chickie gift wrap

132. MsUnreliable commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 6:25am

As a newcomer to the world of blogging, I have to admit that up until a few months ago I didn’t really get what was so exciting about the blogosphere. There are a lot of very average blogs out there (mine included!), but once you find one great blog, you follow the links to another 10 great blogs, and find another 10 links on each of those blogs, and before you know it it’s 6am and you haven’t slept!

It’s great that magazines are starting to take notice, because frankly I’m finding loads more inspiration and information on blogs than I ever have in any of the gazillions of magazines I buy. Congrats on a much deserved mention!

133. Keryn commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 7:24am

HHmmm, off to search for a copy of Domino here in Australia, congrats on the mention Holly, you deserve it, you have one GR8 blog!

134. Alicia commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 1:37pm

Blogs are definitely lasting! They’re the new magazines almost! would you add me to your blogroll?

135. melissa commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 8:03pm

I never thought I would become a constant blogger, but I love writing and reading all kinds. Mine is mostly about glass.

~ Musings of a Glass Artist ~

melissas last blog post: Loving the New CiM colors

136. Condo Blues commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 10:41pm

Congratulations Holly!

And now for a little shamless blog self promotion. I started my blog Condo Blues http://condo-blues.blogspot.com primarily as a design blog but it quickly blossomed into a crafting and DIY project blog because I make and do a lot of design projects around my Condo because I normally can’t find what I want in stores! I also blog about green living and money saving tips because when you end up reusing your old wine glasses to make a chandelier, not only is it environmentally friendly but it saves a little money too.

Condo Bluess last blog post: Sixteen Green Halloween Candy Alternatives

137. Cecilia commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 12:46pm

I love Domino and was thrilled to see that they had mentioned Decor8, my favorite design blog!
    Cecilia

138. sunny commented
    November 11th, 2008 at 3:37pm

Congratulations, Holly! So great that your blog is in Domino (the favorite magazine of many, many people).

Sunny

sunnys last blog post: stormy winter afternoon in a cozy bedroom