Be Made Ceramic Works

Have you heard of Be Made Ceramic Works? I was reading the Turkish Elle Decor a few nights ago and found them there for the first time. Wow, beautiful, modern, quirky, and not what I’d expect coming out of Istanbul as when I think of Turkey I usually envision very ornate and colorful objects. Clearly I need to start reading Turkish Elle Decor on a regular basis!

Be Made Ceramic Works is a young design duo, Ekin ?zbi?er and Berra Alkan, graduates of MUGSF (Marmara University Faculty of Fine Arts). I really like their bowls with the town along the rim, especially the way it must cast shadows on the wall… So beautiful to look at. I think we aren’t exposed to modern Turkish design in the western world as much as we should be.

This makes me laugh. You can serve your ex-boyfriend his tea in this mug. Or your Devil Wears Prada boss.

In addition to the bowl, this ceramic conversation bubble for the wall has to be my 2nd favorite. I absolutely adore it.

My friends from Istanbul and those who have visited there tell me there is quite a scene of emerging young talent there which makes me what to visit even more. I’d really like to see Be Made Ceramic Works up close and personal… but for now, blogging about them will have to do.

(images from be made ceramic works)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on October 29, 2008

1. Diana commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 3:26pm

Wow! I agree – not what I’d expect from Istanbul. It’s wonderfully unexpected. I’d love to see more of these emerging young Turkish talents!

Dianas last blog post: Calendar Preview – January

2. DecorPad commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 3:29pm

The teacup made me LOL too! I love it!

3. lindsay commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 3:41pm

Very clever work! Love the little village bowls and the spikey cup, it could double as a weapon!

lindsays last blog post: stop and think…

4. VisuaLingual commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 3:59pm

Stunning! I am such a geek for well-designed ceramics. Thank you so much for posting this; it really made my day, although I also would love to check these out in person!

VisuaLinguals last blog post: VisuaLingual at the Cincinnati Art Museum

5. eva commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 4:08pm

wow! this ceramics is so special!
    I wonder whether you know what`s written on this bubble? It looks like a blind script (script for blind people, I mean).

evas last blog post:

6. Alicia commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 4:12pm

Hi Holly,

Have you changed anything about the way you upload photos to your site? I’ve never had a problem viewing the images, but haven’t been able to see any images in the last 2 posts. It may be my computer – but if you have any ideas on settings, etc. – that would be great. I know I must be missing out!

Thanks!

7. decor8 commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 4:21pm

Alicia – My bad, it was the way I was uploading them. Can you see them now?

8. decor8 commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 4:22pm

Eva… I was thinking the same thing and wonder myself. Their website doesn’t really get into it. Maybe you are right!

9. Rachel commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 4:54pm

Wow, those are super creative! I love the first two!

10. Elizabeth commented
    October 29th, 2008 at 5:28pm

How lovely! Thank you for continuing to bring us along on your European adventures. It’s so refreshing for seeing the same ol’ same ol’.

Elizabeths last blog post: A Tuesday in October

11. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 12:42am

So adorable! I love that speech bubble for the wall too! So creative and sweet!
    xo
    Melis

12. MsUnreliable commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 6:17am

Another fan of the speech bubble, I wonder what it says in Braille (if that’s what it is!)

13. Erica commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 6:18am

So unique.

Ericas last blog post: Rainbow over Atlanta

14. Alicia commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 9:10am

Thanks! Yes – I can see them now :)

15. nancy monsebroten commented
    August 9th, 2010 at 9:15pm

Where was that tea mug when I needed it? Funny!

Trackbacks and Pingbacks