Top Design: The Weekly Dish

Miss Becky is back to share her opinion on this week?s episode of Top Design on Bravo. I haven’t watched a single episode but boy, oh boy you all are NOT liking this Eddie character! Anyhoo… Becky, the mic is all yours! ? Holly

WOW! Top Design made me SO happy this week! I did not think I could become any more obsessed with Jeff Lewis, I mean, I even thought “Oh, he has “Vines and Flowers” in one of his houses!” when I saw Ondine use it (so do Rachel Zoe and half of the reality TV universe, but I still love it). The way he hammered Eddie made me swoon. Finally! I mean, besides you all, I haven’t really heard much hating on Eddie out there in the blogosphere, in fact, it’s quite the opposite. I don’t get it! I mean, he was even featured in my favorite magazine this month, which made me ill. Then along came Jeff Lewis, to add some balance to the universe, who told Eddie his style was older, and “by older I mean, walkers, bedpans, and oxygen tanks.” Thank you Bravo, for giving me a Jeff Lewis fix. Thank you Jeff, for hitting the nail on the head.

Ondine.

Eddie.

Nathan.

Preston.

Alright, Eddie rant over. The challenge this week was an introduction to the final challenge. The remaining three each will be decorating a depressingly generic new three bedroom house. For this challenge, they had to tackle one room in said house which would represent the way they planned on decorating the house. Nathan and Eddie both picked the master bedroom, Ondine picked the small bedroom and made it into a study, and Preston turned half of the eat-in kitchen into a family room lounge area. A few notes:

• Eddie: You are in L.A., not the Hamptons. And that is not the Hamptons, it’s trying to be like Thom Filicia and winding up with tacky Florida rental condo. That trellis and plant combo was totally Golden Girls. Go grab some cheesecake and talk to Blanche about her panties. Everyone sing along with me, “Thank you for being a friend….”
  • Ondine: Her room was very Jonathan Adler Happy Chic. I mean, she even had bright blue foo dogs. I recognize the sofa because it’s been in every Plantation ad in every magazine for about two years. She kept it simple and I think it was brilliant that she did the smallest room in this challenge. It was manageable and easy to edit. I’d really love to see her apartment in person – it looked really interesting!
  • Nathan: I agreed with every single word the judges had to say about him. His room looked like a boring hotel room, let’s say, a Hampton Inn or a Sheraton.
  • Preston: OK, who can concentrate on his room when we’ve seen him rejected by the New York posse and heard all about his tragic childhood. I felt really bad for him and I felt like I understood his personality better from this episode. TIDBIT: I read in Jonathan Adler’s blog last week that all of the judges call Preston “Cleavage.” I didn’t love his room, and I agreed with the judges that he needs another layer. It looks like he does have that layer in his own home. I was really impressed with the shots they shared. It was very Hollywood Regency with a bit of Ian Schrager edge.

While I missed Kelly, the judging portion was the best part of the show this week. Jeff Lewis and Jonathan were affectionately giving each other a hard time (well, Jeff was giving it and JA was taking it), I think Margaret clearly dislikes Jeff Lewis and already had Eddie hand-picked for the Elle Decor spread, and Jeff judged people by their outfits (good thing for Ondine he liked her room). It was DELICIOUS!

I am talking too much once again. So, were you yelling “TAKE THE DOOR OFF!” when Ondine’s desk would not fit into the room? What did you think of Nathan’s hosting skills when he was drunk? Did you think any of the rooms looked like the Plantation showroom? When Eddie kept saying “Easy Breezy” did you think “Cover Girl” or “Rachel Ray”? Whose room worked and whose room did not? Whose room did the best job of enticing the judges to want to see the completed house? Whose personal home did you dig the most? Do you wish they’d have a contest where the prize would be a home visit consultation from Todd Oldham? Do you think Eddie can do sexy? Have you said “Sit and Spin!” ever? If so, were you over the age of 12? What do you think of the big photograph trend seen in Ondine’s room and Preston’s home? Did the show make you want to buy Windex or a GE Profile wine fridge?

Please join and answer any of these questions or any others you want to ask the group!

(images from bravo television, text from becky harris)

Posted by decor8 in guest bloggers, reality tv on October 30, 2008

1. Kyle commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 1:55pm

I like Eddie…I think the way he was portrayed on the show is more a reflection of the editing than it is of his actual character. That said, his room this week was pretty Golden Girls, but it had some good elements (I liked those lamps)

2. Cindy Corlett commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:05pm

I thought this was the best episode in a while. It was too delicious watching Jeff Lewis rip Eddie!! The walkers and bed pan comment was just classic. Eddie’s room reminded me very much of something from early Trading Spaces. It did not look like an expensive room at all. More like a middle of the road seaside motel.

Ondine’s room was great, but the windows really did need something. In fact, none of the rooms dressed the windows. Hard to know what choices they had to begin with, but I can’t help thinking it would have made the rooms seem more complete.

Preston’s room was nice, but seemed too crowded. Hard for a lounge area to be relaxing when there’s no room to move around. I think his introverted personality shows in his designs. Maybe why he doesn’t have that extra, personal layer in his spaces?? He is so guarded it’s hard to get a feel for who he is beyond his design “formula.”

Nathan’s room was a let down. He was complaining about the bed, but didn’t he choose it? I hope he brings the edge back to his design in the rest of the house, that seems to be when his creativity really shines.

One last thing, Margaret’s snippy hall monitor personality is really getting under my skin. So anal! Makes me want to smack those pearls right off her neck. Loosen up for God’s sake, it’s not brain surgery. No one will die if you laugh or make a joke, you might even like it!!!

3. skye commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:11pm

Eddie’s sit and spin comment along with the hand gesture was completely foul. jeff louis saved the day/show with his appropriate yet jaw dropping comments. ondine’s room was the best but still lacked a finished touch. and finally, what was preston thinking with the last ditch effort looking plates on the wall? also, were the previews not misleading??? i thought jeff and jonathan were going to really get into it???

skyes last blog post: il posto cafe

4. Charlie commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Oh Becky – you must read Jonathan Adler’s blog today on the Bravo website. Ouch!

Preston is my favorite, I would like him to win. I am always a sucker for the down trodden. And yes, I am rushing out to buy Windex and a wine fridge today.

Charlies last blog post: "Its The Editing and Producers"

5. charlene commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Eddie was obnoxious. That’s not to take away from his talent though there were some very questionable decisions on his part. The lattice on the walls being just one example. I was glad to see him go.

6. Andy Mathis commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:22pm

On the preview commercials for last night episodes, did anyone notice how Jeff Lewis seemed to be dissing on JA clothes, because of editing. Were there not 2 different statements edited together? One state was about not agreeing with JA. and the other statement was about Eddie’s clothes. Which, when edited together seemed to be about how JA dresses. Or did I hear/see it incorrectly?

Nevertheless, Can’t wait to see what the rest of the houses look like next week. I think I am pulling for Ondine, the underdog, to take the prize.

I was sad that Preston left out the TV in a family room off the kitchen.

Andy Mathiss last blog post: Bone Cancer and Chemo- Would you consider it for your pet?

7. Beruska commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:38pm

Thank goodness Eddie’s gone! I know he can “style” well and I actually liked some of his designs, however his personality was way too much so buhbye Eddie! (plus we don’t need to worry about him either, he still got Martha ha)
    Nathan’s room was just plain bad and big dissapointment. He should stick to his own intuition and funk, because he really is a great designer.
    I liked Ondine’s room the best, mostly for selecting the guest/office room. Agreeing with Becki that her own apartment looked so interesting. And she just seems like a nice woman, no? Plus, does anyone know what is she using on her face? Her skin always looks AMAZING!!!
    And Preston – I liked him a lot before, now it’s more so and so. It’s his “boutique-hotel” design over and over again and his coldness? I know I know he had a sad childhood, but I’m still missing to see some fun in him? Plus with Eddie being gone now, maybe he will be more relaxed around the house……I hope so. I loved the coffee table he used though, what company is it?
    Can’t wait to see next week, please give us some unexpected surprises!

8. becky from hatch commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:46pm

QUESTION: Did the contestants have a chance to buy a TV or one of those fake TVs (oh, they had THE FUNNIEST names for those things on “Arrested Development, one of my all-time favorite shows, and I can’t remember it. Something like “Home Prop” but funnier).

I did not catch the previews but I think JA and JL were having fun with each other. I saw the devilish twinkle in Jeff’s eye whenever he razzed JA. I loved watching them interact. It was kind of how Jeff and Ryan interact on Flipping Out. I think Jeff must have really made Margaret mad – I wonder if she’s used to someone poking fun at her.

Oh My Gosh! Hooray for JA’s blog! He FINALLY said it! I wonder if he’s been holding back, I mean, last week Eddie directly insulted him “If I wanted to work in a Jonathan Adler store, I would.” He also went on and on about how the judges knew nothing. I wonder if he had to stay somewhat neutral until Eddie got the boot. Also, I LOVE JA’s comments about The Real Housewives of Atlanta. I wish he was writing a blog on that one as well!

I thought Nathan was a goner for sure this week; I’m so glad he’s still around. I really like him. It will be interesting to see if he can edit properly when given the time. I have a feeling he will.

Speaking of which, Ondine’s Achilles Heel is her time constraint panic attacks. I think when she has a managable amount of time she can really knock it out of the park. I always thought she probably had it in her but just had not had the right opportunity to shine. I’m seriously in love with that wallpaper and have been considering it for awhile, I’m just scared it will become passe like the other three wallpapers that turn up EVERYWHERE lately.

Can I exploit you all and this forum to see what you think of the wallpaper called “HOUSES” over at Walnutwallpaper.com? http://www.walnutwallpaper.com/wallpapers.php?filter=color&type=green&name=Green&paperID=222

Is it really fun or do you think I’d get sick of it after a few years? I have major trouble committing to wallpaper!

becky

becky from hatchs last blog post: Top Design

9. becky from hatch commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:53pm

Beruska, bravotv.com often lists information about the items – sometimes it takes awhile for them to come up from each episode. Perhaps you could give Plantation or Jackson (I think that was the name of the second store) a jingle to find out about the table.

RE: Preston’s overcrowded room: perhaps the bench could have served as the coffee table if he really needed that punch of color. Or, something lucite would give the illusion of a bigger space, like the peekabo clear coffee table from cb2 (http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=114&f=699&viewall=1). Or perhaps some less clunky chairs would have opened it up for a little more chi action!
    -becky

becky

becky from hatchs last blog post: Top Design

10. Jamie commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 2:58pm

I thought ‘easy, breezy, beautiful cover girl.’ He said it SO many times. I am so glad Eddie is gone. He was such a lame duck. I really want Nathan to win. He’s hilarious and a great designer. I hope he steps it up for next week.

Jamies last blog post: Nordstrom Mailer

11. Eddie Lover commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Well, I thought I liked this blog…that was until you just ripped Eddie a new one, so.not.cool. Eddie was a better designer and had more talent than everyone! Its a shame he had to go!

AND PS- I’m 27 his designs were NOT too old thank you very much!

12. PJ commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 3:11pm

EH on all of them mostly, though I did like Preston’s wall, but that may just because I think diamond patterns are a great design element in general. Ondine’s I think will be the hardest to translate into a whole-house look, as it is so one note, so she may have an uphill battle there trying to translate that into more. Eddie? Dude. Lattice INSIDE the house? Seriously? Good lord, man. Bad 70s style doesn’t even begin to cover that horrible decision. Buh-BYE.

Preston and Nathan have the best chances to extrapolate their rooms’ designs into the other spaces.

My fondest wish, however, would be to see Eddie and Lisa (from the last Top Chef) be a team together on the Amazing Race. Now THAT would be some kind of competition!

13. Lindsey commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 3:33pm

I for one, love(d) Eddie. I think that Eddie does have a strong personality and the producers probably played that up and creatively edited to make the show appeal to the drama-craving audiences. If you read his blog you will see that he is a great designer, stylist, decorater, whatever you want to call it. I had the pleasure of interviewing him here: http://coveiter.blogspot.com/2008/10/inspiring-interview-eddie-ross.html. He really is a super nice guy and I think he has style to boot!

{ Lindsey }

14. Leah commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 3:43pm

I was really intrigued by the shots of the three finalists’ own homes, as well — they went by *way* too quickly.

I must see more. I think we need a full photo tour of each of them.

Becky, can you get on that?

Leahs last blog post: Cool Stuff: Wallflowers

15. Linda Merrill commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 4:01pm

I loved Jeff Lewis as judge too, he was really spot on with most of his commentary. Plus, he really gave the other judges a run for their money. Good eye, Becky, catching the wallpaper.

I was surprised that they weren’t given the services of seamstresses to make window dressings and bedding. All of the rooms looked unfinished because of it. Clearly, they had the option to sew – since Ondine mentioned thinking about it and deciding against it. And yes, I was bellowing at the tv about getting her desk in – it was clearly manufactured drama. I wonder if the producers made her pretend to listen to the movers when they said they couldn’t get it in. Really, most of us would have pushed the movers out of the way and taken a screw driver to the door by that point.

I think the final three will do a great job with their houses. I wonder how much time they were given…

Linda Merrills last blog post: Top Design Swarovski Chandelier Challenge

16. ellen commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 4:02pm

Can’t help it, I love Eddie. Wasn’t terribly fond of his last room (trellis? the wallpaper? bleh.) — but he makes me giggle.

Ondine was totally right when she said he had a “larger than life” personality. Is he always fair/sweet/sincere/dutifully humble? No, but he brought a lot of energy to the show with just the sheer force of his personality. I mean, everyone knows someone like him, right?

After Top Design, I want some sort of Eddie + Nathan project. I would LOVE to watch that. They both crack me up.

Preston’s room really bothered me — it was so over-crowded, I felt like I wouldn’t be able to breathe in that space. I didn’t think he paid a lot of attention to the size of the room relative to the footprint of the furniture. The scale of the furniture he selected just seemed off — and it all seemed like it was competing with one another. But his rooms are always very stylish — I have to give him credit for that.

Loved Ondine’s room — and agreed with Jonathan that a small throw pillow would have been perfect on that couch. I’m surprised the judges didn’t give her more of a hard time about the window treatments (or lack thereof).

Did Nathan even paint his room? The walls looked so unfinished.

still loving this show! :o)

ellens last blog post: black magic.

17. Henry commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 4:11pm

I agree with you, Becky. I don’t understand the Eddie love in the blogosphere. I agree that editing can be deceptive…look at the confusion in the preview over whose clothes Jeff Lewis was mocking. And for all we know, Preston has unaired confessionals where he talks trash about Eddie and mocks his constantly on display ass crack and flat ass. However, editing did not force Eddie to use phrases like “sit and spin,” (so appropriate for a 30 year old man to tell colleagues), praise his own talent ad naseum, and constantly mention working for Martha. And while Martha is talented, successful, and famous, her influence on high end design is very limited…influential at K-mart and middle America yes…influential at Baker, Brunshwig and Fils, Schumacher, Farrow and Ball,….not so much. Finally, did anyone else noticed that the producers showed the other designers’ homes, but not Eddie’s? If you’ve seen the pics online, you’ll find it hard to believe that it belongs to either a 30 year old, or a male. I mean, toile balloon shades? Really? In a city living room?

18. Tracey commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 4:33pm

I think it’s a shame that some people can’t agree to disagree. Not liking this blog anymore because of Eddie? Puh-leaze. Some people thought he was hilarious, I think he took it too far. I think Preston started to grow on me. Despite his treatment, he never stooped to that level, even offering to help the others with their rooms last week. So in the end, I am pleased with the three finalists. I’m rooting for Nathan but I won’t be sad to to see one of the other two win.

19. Cindy Corlett commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 4:47pm

If you’ve ever seen Whatever, Martha on FLN, you’ll know that Martha’s daughter Alexis can be pretty caustic and snarky. Maybe that’s what drinking the Martha Koolaid does to you.?.

20. amanda commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 5:29pm

So glad to see Eddie finally go. It wasn’t just that his rooms were total crap, but his attitude was worse. I hope when he gets back to Martha she dumps him. I was really disappointed in Nathan’s room because I think he’s the most talented of the bunch. Although I loved the pics of Ondine’s apartment (which I thought was really cool that they showed those). Ondine’s room was pretty. But Preston’s was almost depressing. I loved LOVED the orange bench but it didn’t work. It was in the way and the same height as the coffee table so it just looked awkward. I am a tv fanatic so I thought it was completely lame that he didn’t put in a flat screen in there. But definitely Jeff Lewis was the highlight. I miss Flipping Out! And I am so so so over Margaret Russell (and her mag).

21. becky from hatch commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 5:33pm

TO THE EDDIE LOVER: To each his own! Part of the fun of the discussion is hearing different opinions. It would be a snoozefest if everyone had the same feelings about the contestants! One thing is for sure, it’s totally love him or hate him, no in-betweens with Eddie! Personally, I think editing has different ways of working. Re: Andrea, they cut in her saying that Ricky was her husband over and over when she only said it once. Regarding Eddie, you can’t take back saying you want to wipe out “midgets” (an offensive word, BTW) with cloning. It really does not get more offensive than that. I’ve read his blog and it just doesn’t seem like anything innovative or fresh to me. BUT, that’s MY OPINION. ALSO, Please Note: Holly hasn’t even seen the show, I am just a guest blogger, so it is not the opinion of decor8 either!

Leah, I agree, I was trying to freeze the TV when they did a quick drive-by on the contestant’s homes. I’d love to see more.

PJ, I don’t watch Top Chef, ONLY because it makes me so hungry! It’s a really fun show – I want to see this Lisa in action! I LOVE The Amazing Race, though I gave up on it this season b/c football and 60 Minutes kept messing up my recordings of it. I would partner Eddie with Michael from Design Star last season. He sure has kept the show interesting, I’ll give him that.

Linda, good point about the seamstresses! I think they had two months or something like that last year for the final challenge. It will be wonderful to see what they can do without the terrible time crunches.

Henry, Eddie’s home looked a lot better in Domino than it did in his audition tape (there’s a link to it in the comments section of one of these posts I’ve done, I think last week or the week before). Of course, I don’t think they showed his kitchen in Domino, which left me, um, underwhelmed. Frankly to me he’s a wannabe Martha who doesn’t do Martha half as well as Martha does.

Tracey, Nathan is my personality favorite and I think he has great ideas. Sometimes I wonder if he had an extra hour if his final looks would be more polished; I’m excited to see. Also, I think with more time Ondine will shine more. Preston has Hollywood Regency down, but it would be nice to see more personality in his designs and see him innovate more.

becky from hatchs last blog post: Top Design

22. Nikki commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 5:42pm

I must be the only one who actually liked Nathan’s room. I thought it was a breath of fresh air. It looked relaxing and tranquil – not overdone and stuffy like Eddy’s bedroom. Preston’s room was way too crowded! It doesn’t seem very functional and those plates glued to the wall were horrid. Bet those will be fun to remove. I also liked Ondine’s room but will be surprised if she can pull off the entire house.

23. becky from hatch commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 5:58pm

Nikki, I didn’t dislike Nathan’s room, it just didn’t look finished to me so it seemed kind of generic (I did like the console and the driftwood – I wish the whole room had looked like that). I also would have LOVED to have that bed and his lamps were crazy fun. I think he tried to hold himself back and be too traditional, so his personality did not infuse the design as much as it usually does.

That is one positive I can begrudgingly give Eddie. He always stayed true to himself and his style. Of couse, he did so after saying “the judges don’t know anything” and “I don’t care what the judges say” and “sit and spin” but he was true to his own taste during his entire run on the show. He never stretched out of it in the least.

becky from hatchs last blog post: Top Design

24. Cassie commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 6:04pm

After Eddie screamed at a shop clerk over a broken vase in an earlier episode, I’ve found him egotistical, unprofessional and generally insufferable. Even taking into account the high level of stress the contestants are under, his behavior was beyond the pale. Since he didn’t respect the judges, why shouldn’t they send him home? Ugh.

Ondine’s wallpaper was great. I miss Kelly Wearstler.

25. Mia commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 7:07pm

Goodbye Eddie, so glad to see you go! Henry, you’re so right, editing is not what made him look like such a jerk. Eddie made Eddie look like a jerk. I love Jeff Lewis for saying just what I was thinking. Eddie’s room looked just like Becky said, a Golden Girls set! If my television was smell-o-vision E’s room would have smelled like BenGay and potpourri(among other things, ech). Anyway, at least the judges did the right thing. I liked Ondine’s room, that white wall bugged me though. I think I would’ve loved to have seen it painted. Re. the desk-Those movers were so lazy! They didn’t want to have to go through the trouble of removing the doors, but I instantly knew that’s what had to be done (past experience.) Nathan is super cute, he seems like a sweetie. And his room wasn’t so bad, I simply hated that bed!! I was also surprised he didn’t use paint either. Fresh, simple and beautiful doesn’t have to mean boring! Maybe a light coral color would’ve looked good in there, and perhaps even saved that hideously depressing bed. Preston looked so sad, I just wanted to give him a hug! I liked his room, but it seemed too predictable. Very him. Overall, it was polished and way more interesting than the others. I think Nathan or Preston will win. Can’t wait to see next week’s show.

26. eleise commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 7:56pm

Jeff Lewis (Mr. Pottery Barn, ‘cos that is what all his designs look like) is no style arbiter. He’s only on the show to cross pollinate for his lame house flipping show. And he is a way bigger a$$ than Eddie could ever be.

Eddie is an over the top Queenie Pie and I found him delightful. I don’t think he is the least bit mean at heart, just a bit snarky. Nathan and Ondine adore him, which says a lot. Plus, Eddie’s style has remarkable staying power.

The lattice?……..Hated it. But Preston’s boutique hotel look is boring as hell. And if I had to wait forever for a bathroom while he shaves and plucks I’d snark hard on him too. I mean, really.

27. jo commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 9:48pm

every time todd oldham comes on i get excited. he has such good ideas, he’s so friendly and kind to each of the contestants, i just LOVE him. that would be a good idea to have a contest where someone could win a makeover or consultation with him. he is AMAZING.

jos last blog post: just a preview…

28. Maureen commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 9:50pm

Not sure I can add much to the conversation. I too was over Eddy’s ego. That said, I could handle his ego because it’s funny if he would take constructive criticism. One worthwhile lesson learned from reality-tv-show watching? TAKE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM and learn from it. Ala Tim Gunn, etc. I loved Jonathon Adler’s comment about how Eddy stays in his comfort zone. I think that’s tied to his ego. I do think he’s talented, just constrained by his own image of himself.

I liked Ondine’s room and was hoping she’d buy some stitch witchery to rig up her black curtains. So glad that wasn’t a deal breaker.

I related to Preston’s need for quiet. I liked his room and hope he’ll use the adding a layer suggestion because it could help him mature.

Nathan’s room was great where the dresser was and the other side wasn’t. Interesting how often when talented people are trying to do something for others, they stray from what makes them shine.

Becky, I love that wallpaper! That web site is great too. I work a few days at a wallpaper/design shop in Atlanta. Feel free to come by sometime. My web site has my email address. I’d love to meet you.

29. Condo Blues commented
    October 30th, 2008 at 10:16pm

Nathan’s rooms in the last two episodes have left me disappointed. Up until now I loved everything he’s designed in the competition. Hopefully, he was just experimenting with these last two challenges and will really wow us in the final design.

As for Preston I was happy to see that he moved away from his black and white with a pop of color formula that he did in the last two challenges too. Although it was sidestep since he moved on two black and brown with a pop of color.Will his formula work in the final challenge? I like it in most of his individual rooms, but I’m very interested to see what he does with a house.

As for Eddie, *sigh*. He was a reality TV producer’s dream nasty drama queen. Talented but snarky. It didn’t take much editing on production’s part to make Eddie this season’s villian.

Condo Bluess last blog post: Sixteen Green Halloween Candy Alternatives

30. Andi-a commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 12:31am

I hope to express this concisely without threat of putting you all into a coma. Then again this is late Thursday so no one is probably reading this.

This show has a strange way of creating its own short attention span (or perhaps it’s clearly a diversion for wanting the election to really finally be over). I love reading you all, but sometimes I just dont get it I mean I really don’t get it. How is it that Preston’s rooms are always considered boring, Kelly W knockoffs, anyone in the mood to give the dead boutique hotel horse another beating, but Ondine can drag out black and white floral wallpaper and bordered sofa and its considered the freshest thing since sunshine? Nathan puts nails next to the bed and explains it like it was some 5 year art installation, but he is innovative?

Can I just say this cause apparently I hold a grudge against butt design, okay a few weeks ago it was clear to my blurry eyes that Nathy had spread paper plates on his wall of the future. My eyes told me this was true but part of my brain said no no Andi stop being negative surely its glass or tin meant to look like paper plates as a tongue in cheek nod to how wasteful and ugly people of the past chose to be at times. Even when I couldn’t convince myself that he didn’t put stryo balls on stick and displyed it I still convinced myself that my eyes were decieving me, but alas why in the hell did he have to bring it up last night in his edgy tales that he freaking used paper plates all over a wall?

Did it not bother anyone that Eddie was called a consistent talent? Oh how quickly the eye blood dries, and the hives heal, I could live the rest of my days and never ever look at that thing he did last week. This week well you have to be pretty high on your own funk to think you can use some trellis for wall hanging. I think if Eddie had been given anymore time – since we are are imagining that scenario, he would have crocheted momogrammed his and her hot water bottle covers with an F and U. I think Marges kindness towards him this week was pure politics as she knew he was leaving, but she still has many years of cocktail clinking with Martha.

Back to my original point which remains to be said, this show is context not contest. When Preston does a room it’s already considered boring (even when Andrea’s room last week could be called Preston chic), Ondine’s rooms are loved when she does catolog styling but when she does her most natural organicky way she’s considered missing it, and Nathan could hang upside down balancing a butter knife on his nose with nothing in the room and the judges would scream SOLD. Who knows? After seeing their individual websites it may make it clear as to why we have these 3 in the final 3. Of course I loved Prestons, and I loved his home pictures.

At one point they showed him saying he just wanted to learn more and more about design or some such, but after seeing his work I’m thinking maybe he has tons of evil naysayers around him in his normal life that refuse to let him know how brilliant he is ( yes I said it toss the tomatoes). For him to keep working as hard as he does without breaking down no matter what they say and how they act he steadily keeps producing highly detailed and thought out work and that he can actually reach out and hug these people who want to murder him in his sleep he is just beyond.

31. Alison commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 9:57am

I’m surprised by the Eddie apologists. Nathan is funny and appropriately snarky. Eddie is just cruel and if you think saying “panty dropping chic” fifty times is funny, well I guess I have nothing more I can say to you. Becky, I too was aghast at the “midget” line. Not to mention calling his client a dork on television. You might think it, but don’t SAY IT. Editing can create a story, but it can’t make Eddie say and do things he didn’t. Like being hostile to that store owner and saying “sit and spin”. He needs a dose of humble pie. Not that he would eat it.

I didn’t hate Nathan’s room, but I agree with Becky that he edited himself too much in an attempt to be pretty or elegant or something.

I love the splash o color blown up photograph in Ondine’s room.

I think Eddie wrote his ticket home as soon as he made the lattice decision. I love how he always tried to say his rooms weren’t “granny” but then cited his grandmother as his biggest inspiration.

Becky, I love the houses wallpaper! Yes, please.

Alisons last blog post: Casserole Challenge, Week 7 (I think): Now We?re Getting Somewhere

32. Cicada Studio commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 10:04am

I saw lattice and I said, that’s the kiss of death! (thankfully, the judges thought so too)
    And why did the judges feel the need to fawn over Eddie? He’s OK at best and with his personality it can all be swept away in a breath.

Cicada Studios last blog post: Happy Halloween

33. Luka commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 10:36am

I can’t add much since I’m late to this conversation but two things:

* They should have shared the photos of the designers own homes sooner – I would have known who to root for from the get to!

* As an Angeleno I am now 110% behind Preston!

34. becky from hatch commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 10:41am

Eleise, you bring up a good point. Jeff Lewis, like Eddie, is one you either love or hate, no in-betweens! I would call him more DWR than Pottery Barn though. He uses much higher-quality furniture than PB and tiles from Ann Sacks.

Andi-a, you did the opposite of put me in a coma, you woke me up better than my coffee did this morning!

Maureen, I will DEFINITELY be stopping by! I’d love to bring in some pictures of the room and get your opinion! I could not agree with you more about constructive criticism. That’s the main way I always learned. It was sometimes hard to take, and sometimes I’d be in tears, but I always learned from it!

Condo, I could not agree with you more! Well said!

Jo, I’m a huge Todd fan as well and wish he’d been giving more time, like Tim Gunn. His advice is always so solid and helpful.

becky from hatchs last blog post: 30 Rock

35. Denise commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 12:02pm

I thought the drunken Nathan hosting his own show was HILARIOUS!!! (maybe because I was a little tipsy, too, when I saw it) You could tell they all just needed to cut loose a little and I really liked that part of the show because it also gave you a little more insight on Preston. You can tell that Jeff Lewis has been hanging out w/Kathy Griffin (another example of Bravo synergy) because he was extra cutting and almost rehearsed with his one-liners. I still love him, though. I liked this episode a lot.

36. Jana Souza commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 12:16pm

Wow, these are fun, passionate comments.

I just realized this week that the judging part of the show has been very boring to me, better with Kelly, and well, just priceless with Jeff Lewis; I don’t like how he power trips on flipping out, but I do like his style and his personality on this show added a ton—plus, he is so darn fun to look at.

I appreciate humor and sarcasm for sure, but when someone seems fake and mean spirited, I lose respect, and that is how I would describe Eddie; plus the narcissism of being unwilling to hear feedback and be teachable is very annoying to me in anyone really–which Eddie illustrated throughout the entire competition.

I was wishing Ondine had more color—sunny yellow was calling out to me for either the windows or unpapered walls—just my eye.

I also felt compassion for Preston—it is hard to watch a family suffer from alcoholism and then be fun loving about drinking–it just isn’t innocent fun anymore.

Nathan’s room was lacking—I did like his dresser and some accents, but the bed and that entire wall didn’t seem finished or cohesive.

Preston’s plates were bothersome to me—and yes, room felt too crowded—the obsessing over the atler accessory seemed a bit anal.

I do so love Todd—I long for a show where building up of people is the entire goal—he does that so well—directing, coaching and being respectful.

Oh, yes, and Margaret’s biting nature has worn thin; I was floored last week when she told Andrea she needed to just get over herself—Andrea was being real and Margaret could have been tons more professional in her response; no wonder she defended Eddie vehemently this week.

Becky and others, I was cringing at the easy breezy–thought of cover girl and even some bad flashbacks to feminine hygiene commercials of the 80’s.

warm regards,

jana

37. Denise commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 1:53pm

PS Todd Oldham is a SAINT!!!!! I want to know if he has always been like this or if it is the result of a spiritual path (both maybe??). he seems to have the sweetest spirit (sounds so corny but honestly the best way I can describe him).

38. Keli commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 2:42pm

I definitely thought Ondine needed a window treatment of some sort, but why didn’t the judges mention the same thing in any of the other rooms? All I saw in every room was bare windows, which just made everything look unfinished (except in preston’s room where my eyes could not have adjusted to ONE MORE THING crammed into the space).

ps, LOVE the nickname “Cleavage!”

39. eleise commented
    October 31st, 2008 at 6:25pm

Awww, Becky, I’m going to have to disagree with you : ) Jeff manages to take high end stuff and create Pottery Barn out of it (awkward symmetry, too many browns, taupes, neutrals, faux warmth with no soul, and very mid-range-no-personality.) It’s a singular talent, and completely lacks the wit and edginess of DWR. Don’t hate me : )

40. Cynthia commented
    November 1st, 2008 at 9:25am

Let me start by asking, am I the only one who thinks that Jeff is wearing a hair piece?

On to the rooms, I really liked Ondine’s, but I think I would have gone with a different couch and definitely some drapes. The mirror really, really bothered me – was too bulky as far as I was concerned, but loved the painting.

Preston, hmmm, I really like him as a person, but he needs editing when it comes to how many pieces of furniture to fit in a room. I felt that the room should have been a dinning room simply because of it’s size, but applaud his thinking outside the box – just wish he had included a TV and leave those darn plates off the wall! As for the extra furniture, I think what happened is that he fell in love with the bench and the coffee table and couldn’t pick one, so he left both – like I said, he needs editing. The furniture was a bit bulky, and the chair thing by the wall of plates pretty much disappeared. In truth, I could not sit and relax in that room. That said, I felt in love with his house and think he can win this thing.

Nathan, the people at Bed, Bad and Beyond can do a better job with bedding! I was so disappointed with his design this week! He picks the bed and then complains about it? It needed more “fluff”, it just looked flat – like they just moved and couldn’t find the box with the linen.

Eddie, I’m so glad he is gone!! I saw his blog and hated his decorating style, waaaay too many things in a room. I’m still traumatized by last week’s episode (Andi-a, my eyes start bleeding again when I think of that room). I was planning a visit to Florida before the year is over, but after seeing his room I’ve opted for San Diego – don’t know why. I used to love Martha too, but after Eddie, I see her designs with fresh, new, bleeding eyes.

Now, one thing I was surprised about is why they didn’t show the fun relationship that Ondine, Nathan and Eddie had sooner. Furthermore, I think there may have been something going on….did any of you notice the kiss on the lips, yes, yes….everybody kisses on the lips, you’ll say…..but this one seemed special.

Cynthias last blog post: Excellent Adventure

41. Kristin commented
    November 1st, 2008 at 2:48pm

I can’t read all the comments before I comment — I was screaming (in my head) Take The Door Off! – and I was so happy to see you mention it – none of the other blogs said a thing about it. I just couldn’t stop wondering if she was going to give up before doing that one thing. When we move and we move far too often, I have the doors off the hinges in all of the bedrooms before we even begin. Saves getting the doors all banged up and makes moving furniture easy.

Love your recaps – I was bummed Eddie was in Domino but so happy he was auffed (wrong show lol) I really wish that for Eddie, Johnathon would have said “see you later decorator” I still miss that phrase.

Kristins last blog post: National Blog Posting Month

42. becky from hatch commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 10:55pm

Kristin, I think “auffed” should become the universal “you’re out of here” on reality TV. It can take over for the current reigning term “the tribe has spoken!”

Eleise, I’ll say it again, different opinions are what make the conversation interesting! I will say in Jeff’s defense that houses that are for sale generally need to be staged neutral. I cringed when my colorful house needed to be painted off white w/ white trim everywhere, but it really helped with selling it. I felt like I sold a piece of my soul when I did it though!

CYnthia, whenever I hear “Bed, Bath and Beyond” I think of Anthony on Sex and the City saying “15 calls from my mother making sure I buy the cheapest sheets at Bed, Bath, and Freakin’ Beyond!”

Denise, I’m usually having some wine whenever I watch the show as well!

Well, I doubt anybody is reading back this far with a new episode coming up in two days. I’m not sure if there are only one or two episodes left.

becky from hatchs last blog post: Charlottesville

43. meghan commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 10:41pm

I am excited to see what they do with their “whole” houses… It was pretty bitchy last week.

meghans last blog post: The yard sale/real estate connection