Objects, Small Business

Bed Crumb {New!}

October 31, 2008

I recently heard from Heidi from Bed Crumb (cutest name!) in the UK and so I have to spread the good word in case you do not know about it already… so sweet! Heidi just launched Bed Crumb, an online shop where she sells exclusive range of home accessories and gifts, her specialty is a cozy range of cushions combining original illustrations and contemporary textile design.

It was her experience in commercial fashion and textile design which sparked her interest in following a dream — to combine her background in the industry with a desire to own a small business where she could exercise her creativity freely, without restraint. This is how Bed Crumb was born. Heidi digitally prints her illustrations onto silk and then adds both vintage and new textiles, trims and other accessories to adorn them, each one-of-a-kind, handmade in her small studio.

I absolutely love hearing stories like this because it takes a lot of guts to change the direction in which you’ve been sailing along, comfortably, for many years. I applaud anyone who does this, I did it and trust me coming from experience, it IS HARD WORK. You think you work hard when you work ‘for the man’. Running your own business isn’t 40, 50, or even a 60 hour per week dedication, it’s a 24/7 dedication because even when you are not working your business and keeping it fresh and afloat is constantly occupying your mind. That is why I say it takes guts because it’s not always easy to pursue your passions on paper as it is in your mind, you know how you imagine it to be. When I see people like Heidi who are new in the indie community working hard to promote their business, I cannot feel but a special affection (and admiration) for them.

Congratulations Heidi on following your dreams and all the best on your new business. Three words for you Heidi: YOU GO GIRL.

And readers, Heidi ships worldwide and she is currently looking to do wholesale so if you are a small shop owner please contact her if you like what you see here. :)

(images from bed crumb)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Erin October 31, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Bed Crumb looks so adorable! I like the coffee tea me pillow.

Erins last blog post: Time for the weekend

• Reply Grace@PoeticHome October 31, 2008 at 3:22 pm

What a lovely shop and story! I especially appreciate the mixture of old, new, and illustration!!

You are totally right Holly! Working for oneself is very rewarding, yet much more challenging than working in a cubicle where you are guaranteed a paycheck. I love building “equity” in myself, rather than corporate shareholders. Kudos to everyone who has the daring spirit to follow dreams and the road less taken :D

Oh, and Happy Halloween to you Holly!

Grace@PoeticHomes last blog post: Honorable Fridays in Dagstuhl of Germany

• Reply Jennifer October 31, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Ooooh, great work! I love hearing stories about people following their passions! Way to go!

Jennifers last blog post: Happy Halloween!

• Reply Maria October 31, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Happy Halloween and Happy Weekend!!!

Marias last blog post: Happy Halloween and Happy Weekend!

• Reply shay October 31, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Super unique. Courage and creativity, consistently needed to run a design

• Reply Jen October 31, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Utterly girly and fab! I especially love the cake cushions…they just make me smile. Thanks for sharing the story and link!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 31, 2008 at 6:00 pm

That is wonderful! Yes, you GO girl and lovely, lovely wares!

• Reply Jennifer Perkins October 31, 2008 at 6:54 pm

I just scored a new pink comforter set and have been on the look out for some fab throw pillows to adorn it with and Bed Crumb seems like it might be my one stop shop. Thanks for saving the day yet again.

Jennifer Perkinss last blog post: Did you really expect my house to look normal?

• Reply abby November 2, 2008 at 9:07 am

yes, way to go, heidi!

thank you for the encouragement regarding being your own boss. i’m about to make the switch myself and words like yours provide a little burst of wind at my back.

glad for this online community,

• Reply darlene November 7, 2008 at 12:46 pm

very inspirational! thank you so much!

• Reply bashayer December 9, 2008 at 5:17 am

just plain adorable!!!! Very inspiring!

• Reply rinzin May 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

thank you holly, its so so inspiring.