Rooms, Shopping + Products, Stationery

I’m a Little Teapot…

October 31, 2008

Remember this post from September when I confessed a little obsession I had? I’d been dreaming of a certain tea kettle in the Netherlands for weeks… but the dream is over. Enter reality. I purchased it as a housewarming gift for my husband (and I) as he has been wanting a very special teapot and figuring as I liked it so much, knowing his taste leans strongly towards well made copper and such an ornate design… I ordered it.

Can you see why? Go ahead, swoon along with me.

I spent 8 weeks searching here for one in Germany that would be more affordable but it seems I wasted a lot of time because none of them fit the high standards that were set the moment I first laid eyes on the one at Le Souk. When it arrived today, my husband’s face beamed as he unwrapped it — I hit the jackpot with a teapot! He loved it. Of course, I knew I would like it but I don’t just like it, I’m in awe of the quality, weight, ornately carved patterns, this copper kettle it is exquisite — unlike any other I’ve ever seen. Remember the scene in Wayne’s World, “I’m not worthy! I’m not worthy!”… I almost feel this way right now because it’s easily one of my top purchases in the past several years. It’s worth saving for if you drink tea as often as we do. I think it was around $150 (after conversion from Euro to USD) with shipping but considering an expresso machine or even a good coffee maker costs that much and more (and we don’t own either), I decided to put my money into something we’d both use daily (unlike a coffee machine which would only be used once a month at most). As a bonus, it arrived with 4 Turkish tea glasses. How sweet!

If you are considering a kettle for yourself look no further, don’t try to find a less expensive one elsewhere, seriously it’s fantastic and not stamped Made In China!

Today was a little cold and gray so we had company, served a homemade Hungarian goulash with sp?tzle followed by tea and kuchen, and had a super nice afternoon despite the lack of sunshine as you can tell from these photos. The candles and warm food made us happy, and of course the little teapot, which arrived before our friends did, made the afternoon complete.

(images from holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

• Reply Veronica October 31, 2008 at 5:44 pm

It’s a beautiful teapot, I love the detail that you can see in the last photo. This is possibly a very silly question . . but is this the type of kettle that you can put directly on your stovetop to boil water in? It’s seems too beautiful for that.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 31, 2008 at 5:58 pm

Ohmymymymymymy….what an absolutely gorgeous teapot. I have to say, I adore watching you pick out something you love, search for it and then find it. It is vicariously rewarding and a reminder that less is more….or quality over quantity. Love it!
    xoxo
    Melis

• Reply magikquilter October 31, 2008 at 6:25 pm

It is gorgeous and can almost feel the weight of it in my hand. It is a wonderful thing to see one’s partner’s face when we do these things for them. Just think of the memories that will be made around this teapot!

magikquilters last blog post: Friday Finds Storage

• Reply asiye October 31, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I can see why you were swooning! its gorgeous- food sounds delicous! love spatzle!

asiyes last blog post: Whales, Appleblossoms and Wanderlust

• Reply mackenzie October 31, 2008 at 6:56 pm

you’re lucky this sort of thing makes your hubs happy! Mine will only swoon for technology.

mackenzies last blog post: can’t wait!

• Reply kitty October 31, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Oooh, it’s devine.
    I do like your images.

• Reply decor8 October 31, 2008 at 7:32 pm

Veronica I’m embarrassed to say that I do not know. I have an induction stove so I’ll have to ask Le Souk. I have an electric teapot and it boils water in seconds, that is what I use for tea right now. I just transfer the water into my pretty white porcelain teapot, pouring the hot water over the tea bag. I let it sit for 5 minutes and it’s done. I imagine I’ll do the same with this one. I don’t think I want to place it on the stove top.

• Reply collette October 31, 2008 at 8:40 pm

it is pretty. i like all the detail.
    i’m not a coffee drinker either so a lovely tea pot is completely justifiable. :)
    i like the sugar decanter as well. pretty.
    i couldn’t think of anything better than cold + gray + company + warm homemade meal + tea + kuchen.
    xo

collettes last blog post: A Halloween Wish For You

• Reply Taylor October 31, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Holly, the teapot is sold out, now! You’re lucky you were able to grab such a beauty.

Taylors last blog post: It’s That Time of the Year, Again

• Reply Michelle Hawkins-Thiel October 31, 2008 at 9:41 pm

How lovely! I bet it will look even more fabulous next to those purple turkish bowls you showed us earlier this week!

• Reply Janimuffin November 1, 2008 at 3:15 am

Well Holly Becker,
    I can’t recall the last time, or the first (until this very moment) for that matter that I’ve coveted a teapot! Imagine my disappointment to find that for the time being, they are all sold out. Knowing how “thrilled” your husband was, his face beaming as “he” unwrapped the gift, I have a sneaky suspicion that he has purchased Le Souks entire line of teapots!
    It did make my night to feel just how delighted you were!

• Reply decor8 November 1, 2008 at 4:28 am

Hallo all! In regards to the teapot, while it may say Sold Out, if you email Daneille the shop owner she will reserve one for you in her next shipment so just make sure you let her know that you want one!

Best,
    Holly

• Reply shill November 1, 2008 at 6:43 am

how charming are these…lucky you owning this precious tea pot!!! :)

• Reply danielle November 1, 2008 at 7:47 am

I am very happy to hear that you and Thorsten like the teapot! Isn’t it even more gorgeous in real life?! It looks beautiful in your living room!

I would not use the teapot as a kettle and put in on a stove. The teapot is made from heave copper, and is fire resistant but it will stay more beautiful if you only use it as a teapot.

At the moment the teapot is sold out. It is sourced from Southern Turkey and as it is handmade I only receive a few of them each moment. I am expecting new stock in the second half of November (but only a few though..). Please send me an email (danielledelange [at] gmail [dot] com) if you are interested in this teapot and I will reserve one for you!

• Reply Kathryn November 1, 2008 at 1:50 pm

hi holly, its a beautiful tea pot and i smiled to think that youre becoming like Oprah….in that anything you feature will immediately sell out or reach the number one best sellers list !
    love and smiles kathryn

Kathryns last blog post: Forget me knot

• Reply Roberta November 1, 2008 at 5:17 pm

It’s a real beauty and you’ve had me lusting after a copper teapot to add to my humble collection. Good point about the cappuccino machines too – I can use that since I’m not a coffee drinker!

Robertas last blog post: I See The Moon

• Reply Coco November 1, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Thank you for these words. I already told you already purchased mine a couple of weeks (months?) ago and my mom found it hideous, my boyfriend didn’t understand what I had to do with it… can you believe it? Luckily everybody else thinks it is a great piece – although I wonder if everyone sees the same value of it as I do :-) I still love love love my teapot! It has a prominent place on our dining table.

• Reply yummy! ink November 1, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Lovely teapot and pictures!
    Thanks Holly!
    M.

yummy! inks last blog post: Jockum Nordstr?m at Crown Point Press, San Francisco

• Reply Rosa November 2, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Wow. That’s a beaut!

• Reply jja November 3, 2008 at 8:34 am

It is absolutely gorgeous! Greetings from Germany :-)

• Reply Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating November 3, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Gorgeous! Makes me want to start drinking hot tea just so I’ll have an excuse to purchase one.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decoratings last blog post: DIY Wall Treatment:: Hand-Painted Graphic Wall Design (And meet our new contributor!)

• Reply moline November 3, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I love your new kettle! The two of you would so love Istanbul!!! The scene on your desk could have been from a cafe there. At least I know that we will be having a Turkish tea here when you both come over!
    Hugs and enjoy!
    Yvonne

• Reply boliyou November 5, 2008 at 12:28 pm

I love it! It sits comfortably on the line between cute and elegant. Wonderful detail work!