Southern Weddings & Katie Elfers

How many of you are married but still love to flip through bridal magazines for decorating inspiration? Me me me me! I find many great ideas in wedding mags from the dreamy color palettes to floral arrangements, wedding favors, the general styling of receptions, it’s all simply amazing. That’s why when I noticed that an editor by the name of Madelyn kept visiting decor8 leaving comments that linked back to Southern Weddings I had to see what the blog was like because their print magazine is pure bliss.

The Southern Weddings blog maintained by the editors of the magazine has now occupied my time for the past 30 minutes… And I’m married already! If you are looking for inspiration either for your own wedding, one that you are helping plan, or you simply love to look at beautiful photographs, head on over to the Southern Weddings blog. That’s where I found floral designer Katie Elfers and in this blog post you can see some of her work, however there is lots more on her website.

I can’t get enough when it comes to floral design, I love all of the latest techniques that I see whenever I scan bridal mags or blogs. I make it a habit to buy flowers each week from the local farmers’ market and I take about 30 minutes to style them in a way that is just a little different from my last arrangement. It’s a very peaceful 30 minutes for me, I usually stand over my kitchen sink arranging them in one hand as my mother taught me, then tying them, I set them in a vase and often I’ll secure a pretty ribbon around the vase or maybe use small paper butterflies or some other accent from the hobby shop and glue it onto a thin stick and stick it into the arrangement to make it look a little more interesting, not too kitschy though as I don’t want to take away from the beauty of the blooms.

I just love the portfolio of Katie Elfers and the talented editors of Southern Weddings magazine and blog, which they’ve pulled together so nicely. Thanks Madelyn for stopping by!

(images from katie elfers, photographed by german photographer Tine Hoffman.)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, inspiration on November 03, 2008

1. Zoe Chen commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 3:05pm

Thank you so much for sharing this, Holly!
    I’m crazy for the blog, they have fantastic photography! Especially the one shows bride’s shoes color matched groom’s socks, it shows a playful aesthetic…

Zoe Chens last blog post: Hand Shadow Puppet of Dog-Brown and White Cotton Thread-100 Precent Cotton Red T-shirt for Girls and Women-Hand Made

2. Shashi commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 5:27pm

wow..very cool site. lots of lovely pictures.

Shashis last blog post: Day 1 of Construction continued

3. Jeska commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 6:46pm

Glad its not just me who is reveling in all things bridal still. I always feel the sales clerks eyes peering at my wedding rings when I purchase wedding magazines. But they are so inspirational. I wish life could be one long wedding fiesta!

These flowers are perfect.

Jeskas last blog post: Packages and parcels

4. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 7:15pm

Beautiful images! Just beautiful…..
    xo
    Melis

5. kristina commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 10:30pm

Oh…I’ve got that problem! why do we (non-celebrities, anyway…) only get one wedding day?!?!? I guess I have to hope my two younger sisters and my daughter will let me live vicariously thru them.

I just love that color has been infused in every element of weddings…

kristinas last blog post: SOLD…good-bye beautiful!

6. Darling Dexter commented
    November 3rd, 2008 at 11:03pm

Love Southern Weddings!

Darling Dexters last blog post: Avetts

7. Lara commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 2:26am

I’m so glad to see I’m not the only one who obsesses over bridal magazines! The flowers are just beautiful and I love playing with flowers. Whenever I get caught up in midterms or papers I get a fresh bouquet of flowers to arrange and put a smile on my face!

Laras last blog post: Dance Marathon 2009

8. frosting couture commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 2:57am

LOL I do the exact same thing!! I have been married for almost 3 years and I still buy Bridal magazines on occasion:) These flowers are lovely! Your Blog is SO Inspirational — Thank you!

frosting coutures last blog post: Let Them Eat Wedding Cake – Silk Ribbon Choker Necklace / Headband

9. summer.breeze commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 3:26am

Thanks for sharing Katie Elfers’ website with everyone, Holly! I have been looking for a floral desgin blog and am very pleased to find a good one with decor8. Thanks!

summer.breezes last blog post: Today is the Autumnal Equinox in the N. Hemisphere

10. lindsay commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 7:58am

I’m not sure what’s tucked into that last one, but I love it!

lindsays last blog post: Halloween re-cap….

11. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 1:20pm

I’m with you there – this is a beautiful blog (as is style me pretty.com) – I check the wedding blogs regularly and I’m married too! Maybe I can use the excuse that my sister is getting married this weekend? But after her wedding, I won’t have any more excuses I guess. :)

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Election Day

12. minutestar commented
    November 4th, 2008 at 9:58pm

SUPER pretty!!! I am definitely bookmarking the blog! I love the very first picture – simply beautiful.

minutestars last blog post: I’m in love..

13. Katie Elfers commented
    November 5th, 2008 at 10:01am

Imagine my surprise when catching up on my blog reading I find my name jumping out from the page!!

Thank you so much for your kind comments and plug on your site. Really humbled that my little venture to support my family has been met with so much support!

And lindsay… it’s an echevaria succulent! :)

14. Laura E @ Southern Weddings commented
    November 5th, 2008 at 12:54pm

Thank you for the kind post. We are so honored to receive praise from the oh so fabulous decor8 blog! You are amazing.

Laura E @ Southern Weddingss last blog post: Details: Katie + Rich, Part II

15. Rachel @ Southern Weddings commented
    November 5th, 2008 at 1:17pm

Wow! Thanks so much for all the blog love! We are completely flattered! I would love to speak with you more, could you email me por favor?

Rachel @ Southern Weddingss last blog post: Details: Katie + Rich, Part II

16. Kirsten commented
    November 8th, 2008 at 12:59am

My goodness! This is so me, one of my favorite things about being a wedding photographer is the immense blessing of being inspired by gorgeous wedding details over and over again every weekend! Yes, I am already married too…but it’s fun to dream on and on about how you’d so another wedding if you got the chance to renew your vows or something!

The floral design element of a wedding, when done gorgeously like here, always my favorite. Cakes are my second fav detail!

Kirstens last blog post: More Christin & Doug