Inspired: The Red Thread by Lisa Tilse

Today over at Real Simple I wrote about the work of Aussie designer Lisa Tilse from The Red Thread. You may remember her from the decor8/Amy Butler contest because she entered the most adorable boy’s room mood board ever (view that here) and placed 3rd runner up. You can read my Real Simple post for the background info on Lisa but I thought I’d simply highlight some of her beautiful art here today since I felt inspired by some these colors and patterns…

Psst: Lisa also has a blog where you find everything from the shows she loves to watch to her creative inspirations and beyond. I’m off to the museum today but I’ll be back in a moment to leave you with a daily discount… Then in a few hours I’ll be back again with a few more discounts and blog posts, some special news about a new project I’m rolling out with another blog I’ve partnered with on something we’re excited to share, and of course I’ll conclude the week with a Happy Weekend post only this week, the post will highlight ALL of the special offers from the past two weeks in case you’ve missed any of them.

See you in a moment!

(images from Lisa Tilse)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, kids on November 14, 2008

1. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 9:51am

Oh, those little birds and sweet hearts…..just beautiful! Thank you for sharing! Her work is so lovely!
    xo
    Melis

2. Jason Thompson commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 10:52am

Dig those paper hearts what a great idea. Would make a nice gift around Valentines day – each one could be a love letter or poem. Or photo!

Jason Thompsons last blog post: Allison Wilton

3. tina commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 1:11pm

the packets of cards are so stunning, i feel happy just seeing the pictures!

have a great weekend! :)

tinas last blog post: Crazy about stripes

4. Kristan commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 2:56pm

I LOVE those birds-on-wood cards!! And hey, if anyone heads over to her blog, she’s doing a giveaway!

Kristans last blog post: Foto Friday: Valencia

5. Michelle commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 3:11pm

Dear Holly,

After seeing this post (specifically the cards with wood grain background, white + colored graphics on top) I wanted to mention a really cute, affordable, and personalized art piece I did above our headboard in the master bedroom.

I know you’re looking to put something above the bed in your room. It may not be the solution you’re looking for, but I thought I’d share just in case.

I took a large piece of raw wood (4′ x 1.5′ x 1″) and stained it to match some other artwork in the room. Then I cut my own vinyl decal to apply onto the stained wood. The decal I cut was white. So it’s a white decal on a wood background. This would also work with a faux bois background, or even a piece of raw wood stained with a translucent “non-wood” color. Woodburst has wonderful products in every color in the rainbow, lighter, darker, in between, etc.

Since the tone of wood in your home seems to tend toward the light/natural look, a matching stain, with a large decal or collection of smart-looking smaller ones… well it could just be fantastic! I know decals tend to be overdone, you have mentioned this in a recent post as well; however, when you have one that WORKS, then it just does. I couldn’t find one that I liked online, so I made one that suited my taste. You could also add splashes of color in mini-decals or details (ribbons, buttons, paper, etc) to complement the other colors in your home.

I loved this project because it cost me less than $20. If it didn’t look right, then I could scrap it and not care so much about the waste. It’s nice to have a decal that doesn’t have that nebulous floating feeling. And it’s not stuck to the wall, so I didn’t worry about the paint.

Happy decorating. Have a great day!

6. Shanon commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 3:41pm

Oh my gosh. The guy (I’m assuming a dad, haha) in the chair, with the fish… LOVE. Those fish slay me. Love ‘em.

Shanons last blog post: I’m just too Lucky!

7. Natalie Walton commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 6:40pm

Lisa is indeed one talented lady and deserves this shout out. I recently interviewed her for Daily Imprint – dailyimprint.blogspot.com/2008/10/burst-of-inspiration-lisa-tilse – and loved that not only is she creative but she’s compassionate too – I loved her info on freerice.com

Natalie Waltons last blog post: This week I’m loving: Christmas, Polish style

8. Kim Wallace commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 6:49pm

Oh I love Lisa’s work! Especially the Sushibird tiles and the Christmas cards….

Kim Wallaces last blog post: Udessi Online Gallery ? Call for Artists

9. Crea-T-V-T commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 7:20pm

The birds are so cute! She’s very talented!

10. ChrysRT commented
    November 14th, 2008 at 7:38pm

Thanks Holly! I love it all! I grew up reading and loving the “Martine” books and the last 2 art pieces remind me the books design! Nostalgia!

11. puglyfeet commented
    November 15th, 2008 at 1:39am

The framed hearts are adorable. Just adorable!

12. Elissa commented
    November 15th, 2008 at 10:08am

I love these! They’d be so sweet in a little girls room – or mine!

13. Steph Bond commented
    November 15th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Lisa is so talented! Yay, go Aussie artists. There is so much talent here and with the Australian dollar dropping, it makes a lot of sense to buy Aussie at the moment. Thanks for supporting Australian art.
    Steph
    Bondville

Steph Bonds last blog post: GoMA Gallery Store Design Christmas Market

14. Lisa Tilse commented
    November 15th, 2008 at 10:59pm

Big thanks Holly for featuring my work, and thanks to everyone for your lovely comments about my creations and for stopping by my blog! I really do appreciate it… what a great way for me to start the weekend. Happy happy day!
    x
    Lisa

15. Amazing Ladders commented
    November 17th, 2008 at 4:23am

Great art crafts! thumbs up on SU

16. Amy Rehnae commented
    November 17th, 2008 at 1:13pm

Oh, my! I too am in love, love , love with her work! Heading over to check out more right now!

Amy Rehnaes last blog post: Sleep, Sleep, and More Sleep….

Trackbacks and Pingbacks