Inspired By: A Fine Frenzy

I rarely devote an entire post to music but last night I went to one of the best alternative/indie concerts here in Hannover that I’ve seen in a while, A Fine Frenzy aka Alison Sudol a talented singer/songwriter/pianist from America. My husband wrote a really sweet review of it this morning on his blog (and he wrote about the pursuit of perfection in his post, you may really enjoy reading it).

I cannot possibly top his words I’ll just keep it simple and say that I really, really enjoyed Alison’s performance and encourage you to check out A Fine Frenzy, buy her CD “One Cell in the Sea”, and support this girl because she is brilliant. She’s touring Europe right now, you may be able to catch her live if you’re on this side of the pond. Tour dates here.

Her lyrics are magical, her voice is like silk, and her energy and enthusiasm for music is completely inspiring. She’s charming and gracious and seems to really enjoy speaking to her audience, another highlight for me since attending shows where the band barely speaks except to announce the title of their next song can make me feel like I’m sitting behind a wall of glass. Them. Me. Alison is welcoming and also very modest, she acts and dresses like a lady — I respect that about her style. Last night I felt like I was in Alison’s living room hanging out watching her play her piano despite the fact that I was in the 16th row in a very packed theater. She called Hannover a, “beautiful city” and thanked the audience for making someone very far from home (west coast) feel quite “at home”. That pleased me immensely.

If you love twinkle lights, warm cozy evenings at home, a fire… A bit of magic and whimsy, you will adore Alison’s music. Here is the song she opened with last night, Come On Come Out. Turn up your speakers and enjoy.

Psst: Alison designed the sweetest t-shirts for her tour, get yours here.

(images from a fine frenzy)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration, textiles on November 19, 2008

1. Vica (Flying Umbrellas) commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 8:28am

Sweet music and her voice… indeed it is like silk.. sad, that I missed her performance in Berlin, but I will enjoy her music now on her myspace page and a cup of tea..
    Thanks for sharing with us your discoveries :)

2. carlotta commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 8:58am

I really adore A fine frenzy its the type of music that takes you magical places, and leaves you feeling uplifted.
    I hope she will venture to Australia one day.
    carlotta

carlottas last blog post: living rooms

3. Meghan commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 9:20am

Thank you for this. I heard “Almost Lover” on a tv show and I tried to figure out who sang it, but with no luck. Then I went to the A Fine Frenzy’s link you posted and found out that they sang it. I love her voice and music. Thanks!

4. Hazel commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 9:59am

Is it fair that someone can be so pretty AND talented?

There’s a Canadian singer/songwriter/pianist that you might like. Her name is Sarah Slean. http://www.sarahslean.com/

Hazels last blog post: MAGIC INK – Quentin Blake: Every Picture Tells a Story

5. Anna @ D16 commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 10:16am

She makes me want red hair, even though I know I’d look like death with it!

Anna @ D16s last blog post: Moo & Oink Market.

6. enna commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 10:17am

oh my, I wanted to go to that concert too but i couldn’t find anyone who’d join me :-(
    i’ll be in munich with my boyfriend for the weekend and she’s playing there on saturday so i hope i can talk him into going there with me!!

hugs. enna

7. lindsay commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 10:23am

Well, I haven’t heard her music, but she has a lovely style and her hair rocks!

lindsays last blog post: Special Delivery…

8. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 10:25am

Beautiful…..beautiful girl, beautiful voice, beautiful feeling and a incredibly kind and thoughtful post by your hubby. I loved it and it most definitely “got to my heart”. *sigh* You two are so very lovely, adorable and kind.
    xo
    Melis

9. Kim commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 10:38am

We saw her at a concert last year, she opened for Rufus Wainwright. She is very talented, and also a very sweet person. She posed for pictures with all the adoring teenage girls that circled her after the show. I almost forgot how much I liked her performance — thanks for reminding me.

10. Joanne commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 11:11am

OMG I love her as well, my fav song is “Almost Lover”. I found that song right at the moment when I needed it the most. I rarely buy any CD but I might buy hers now, thanks for blogging about her :)

11. decor8 commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 11:35am

Enna you should have asked me! Tee would have picked up an extra ticket for you had he known… :(

12. Kristan commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 11:40am

Omigosh, yes! My friend introduced me to her (musically, not in person unfortunately) and I instantly fell in love. One Cell in the Sea is a fabulous album. Have I mentioned that I’m profoundly jealous that you got to see her perform!?

Also, how stunning does she look in those 3 photographs you montaged together?

Kristans last blog post: Quick administrative note

13. erin commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 12:27pm

thanks so much holly for introducing me to her- i”ve been in a not-liking-any-new-music-rut (if anyone knows what i mean) but i love her sound!

and i have heard her “almost lover” song before i but i never knew who sang it, and now i can’t remember where i heard it.

14. Mandy Ford commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 1:01pm

Oh I adore her too!! From the minute I got her CD I played it over and over again in the car, in the shower, at work. She has a beautiful voice. Hopefully I can see her in concert one day too!

15. Marisol commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 1:18pm

I think I’ve had her latest for over a year now. It’s so beautiful; I still love listening to it. I saw her in Denver earlier this year and I agree that it felt like I was in her living room, listening to her lovely songs.

16. Bertie commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 1:31pm

Oh! I simply love A Fine Frenzy! She is delightful! And I totally agree with Hazel (comment #4): Sarah Slean is very much like her in essence. Fabulous artists these two!

I am so sorry I am not going to catch her European tour :-( Well, maybe next time!

Berties last blog post: Mais Jes?s Peir?!

17. moodboard commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Ah I fell in love with her music last year after hearing her song “you picked me” on the Gilmore Girls.

moodboards last blog post: Look of the Day: Paris Fashions 1912

18. Uncle Beefy commented
    November 19th, 2008 at 4:06pm

Ooooh Holly….I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE A Fine Frenzy! Plus her personal style alone is fantastic! Swoon!

Uncle Beefys last blog post: Hot or cold?

19. rochelle commented
    November 20th, 2008 at 10:16am

Ooooh I love Her too…actually met her weeks before her first hit (Almost lover) got really big when she opened for Rufus Wainwright in Boston earlier this year…no one really knew her and she was just standing in the corridor selling her CD’s by herself when I stepped out for the restroom….so I feel like I kinda knew her before she was famous….she was just lovely….great to know she is getting more attention.

20. Laurie commented
    November 20th, 2008 at 10:38am

Thanks for turning me on to her! Just the type of music I could listen to all day. Beautiful voice and beautiful lyrics.

Lauries last blog post: My DIY dress form and sewing table with chairs

21. Tatyana commented
    November 20th, 2008 at 11:30am

I got her CD in April. “Almost Lover” was played a lot on the radio few months back, and then nothing… but she has so many more lovely songs.
    I think her yellow dress on the CD cover has so much style… and now seeing more photos here – I want her wardrobe! So cute!
    So sad to hear people were criticizing her for not being perfect when she was trying. When I see that kind of behavior I wonder what insecurities they have that make them so mean and judgmental of others.

22. decor8 commented
    November 20th, 2008 at 11:57am

Tatyana: Yes her wardrobe is super cute. I loved what she wore on stage — this little A line mini dress with black tights and these amazing sparkly silver shoes with huge chunky heels that were silver — they must have been 4″. She was just as pretty in person as in the photos. I agree with an earlier commenter, it’s no fair to be so talented and so pretty! he he. Oh and by the way, the only critics were these two seated in front of me — everyone else was so happy to be there – I think Germans have been extremely supportive of her and her music as her CD is front and center in every music store I’ve visited here and people seem to know A Fine Frenzy pretty well. More than in the states as I never heard of her there until I came here! LOL.

By the way, I must add that I waited about 30 minutes for her after the show because a member of her crew told me she usually comes out afterwards to meet her fans, but he also mentioned that she had to conduct business with someone who was there to see her, so I guess she was too busy because we waited until nearly everyone was gone and no Alison. I was sad because I was going to try to see if she’s let me photograph her so I could have posted our photo here on decor8. I would have LOVED that so, so much… And I wanted her autograph for my inspiration board. :)

And one more highlight from the Hannover show I forgot to add: I was dying to see her perform “Come On, Come Out”, I even wrote about it pre-show on my Facebook profile (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=540451009&ref=profile), so when I arrived and she opened with that song I nearly melted into my seat – blissed out completely! I cried! :)

Holly

23. laura commented
    November 20th, 2008 at 3:37pm

thanks for sharing this holly! i think i may have a little girl crush now haha. and thank you for sharing your husband’s blog; his words are also pretty inspiring.

lauras last blog post: Happy Birthday, Daddy.

24. annie commented
    November 20th, 2008 at 7:52pm

oh, i have heard her song almost lover before! i saw the music video on vh1 and loved her voice. thanks for posting about her, and i also enjoyed reading your husband’s review – it was very true about perfection.

annies last blog post: Gates original collage

25. Katie commented
    February 27th, 2010 at 4:50pm

I only heard about A Fine Frenzy a few weeks ago, but as soon as i hear her music i fell in love, no exageration! She is amazing, truely inspiring, beautiful lyrics, and perfect music no matter what your mood.
    I used to sing on a regular occasion, but i lost my enthusiasm due to what i consider major speed bumps in my life (I lost the first man i ever loved). Singing was something that i did when i was happy and after i lost him, i stopped singing. I missed him so much and i was never happy. Now – with thanks to her, and the fact that the man i love talks to me every now and then, when he has the chance – i have started singing again. Her lyrics make so much sense to me, especially the songs: ‘Almost Lover’ and ‘Think Of You’. She is truly amazing and if i ever had the chance to talk to her face to face, i would want to thank her for all the help – and indeed stregth – that she has given me.

26. Jay commented
    December 22nd, 2010 at 8:34pm

I love a fine frenzy. she’s intelligence and artistry combined. I think her style is high fashioned as she expressed herself carefree-ly but also carefully. Love it.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks