Etsy Take Five Tuesdays

Let’s see what’s happening over at Etsy today, shall we? Here are my 5 picks for the week, hope a few are new to you! We have a little folk-inspired work, ceramics, modern screen printed textiles, art for kids, and a touch of melancholy…

1. Cindy Tomczyk Art – Cindy in Chicago transforms her illustrations into letterpress cards and prints and also screen prints. Her work ranges from sweet to quirky, folksy to surreal. Don’t miss {her blog} and {her website} for a closer look at her life and art.

2. The Crosbie – Darra Crosby, Richard Antczak, and Sari Gunderson recently contacted me, they met in Savannah when they all worked at a design studio together and discovered that they wanted to leave the firm and form their own design studio so The Crosbie was born. Now living and working in Portland, OR they are doing (mostly screen printing) what they love exactly how they want to do it – by their own rules. The rows tote is my favorite, it reminds me of teacups…They will soon be offering screen printing classes in their North Portland studio so view {their blog} and their {new website} to learn more.

3. A Beautiful Party – This Illinois-based artist translates the fantasy worlds in her mind into collage pieces with characters that express emotions such as sadness, innocence, and being alone. Learn more about A Beautiful Party on {her blog}.

4. Paige Russell Design – Paige has quite an impressive resume in addition to her fine body of work as a ceramicist. She studied Fine Arts at Langara College in Vancouver and earned her BFA in Product Design from Parsons School of Design in NYC. She was then named one of the, “Top 20 young designers to watch out for” in Wallpaper magazine’s 2001 Design Directory. Her ceramic jewelry and housewares are lovely and often in expected shapes making them modern and a bit quirky. View more of her work on {her website} and over in her other Etsy shop where she sells her favorite vintage finds called {The Modern Hunter}.

5. MatiLou – I discovered MatiLou on Facebook and have been enjoying her shop updates ever since. Based in France, her work is made mainly with kids in mind – “little art for children” as she calls it. She transforms her colorful illustrations into everything from prints and calendars to iron on transfers, cards, and stickers. MatiLou also has {a website} and a {DaWanda shop}.

I hope that you’ve enjoyed this week’s round up! If you have any Etsy faves that you’d like to see featured in this column in the weeks to come, please share them below in the comments section. I cannot promise I will feature all submissions, but I can promise that I will check them out (and readers will click on your links too).

(images linked to their source above)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts, etsy, Etsy Take 5 Tuesday, stationery on December 02, 2008

1. katie commented
    December 2nd, 2008 at 1:23pm

Cindy Tomczyk’s work is lovely! Thanks for sharing.

katies last blog post: Smirnoff Matrioshka video

2. Shari Beaubien commented
    December 2nd, 2008 at 5:19pm

Hi Holly!
    I sent you an email a few weeks back… I’d be honored to be considered for your Etsy Take Five Tuesdays. Thanks for bringing us so much inspiration!
    Hugs, Shari Beaubien

Shari Beaubiens last blog post: Reverie – FINE ART PRINT (small)

3. fabframes commented
    December 2nd, 2008 at 6:04pm

I always find your Etsy picks so diverse and inspiring! I’m a big fan of the local (to me) studio that created this series of “accidental aphorisms” silkscreens: my favorite of the four.

fabframess last blog post: Annual Harper Show at Fab Frames

4. DeannaMaree commented
    December 2nd, 2008 at 7:35pm

Hi Holly..

I always look forward to Take Five Tuesdays.. I have just started a similar section in my own blog called ‘My Hearts’.. So far I have only had time to post one of my hearts, but I have lots I will be sharing soon.. http://www.deannamaree.blogspot.com is my blog, http://www.deannamareehearts.blogspot is the new link.

I’m not sure if a self recommendation is allowed.. I hope its ok.. I would love to see my Etsy shop featured in Take Five Tuesdays! I’m just starting out.. and have yet to make a sale! Some exposure would give me the little boost I need!

DeannaMarees last blog post: A Red Rocking Chair, and a White Christmas Tree!

5. Miranda commented
    December 3rd, 2008 at 2:30pm

I have been reading this blog since the begining. Thanks for all the inspiration! I am constantly on the hunt for gifts from Etsy, so this post is really helpful in my quest for unique items for hard to please relatives. I recently openend my Etsy shop and have yet to make any sales. But I’m convinced that you will like my pins and ornaments. They are cute with a little NYC edge. You posted a favorable comment on my son’s baby room that was in the Apt. Therapy contest, way back. Thanks!

Mirandas last blog post: Sunflower Ladybug Pin – Brown/Turq

6. Ann Flowers commented
    December 3rd, 2008 at 2:55pm

thank you! ( :

Ann Flowerss last blog post: Etsy Feature Wednesday. On Wednesday!

7. Holly commented
    December 3rd, 2008 at 4:34pm

I’m a huge fan of Ms. Tomczyk’s!! It’s great to see her getting attention!

8. Nancy commented
    December 3rd, 2008 at 9:47pm

Great picks as usual Holly! I have my own little Etsy shop, I sell small, original watercolor paintings, mostly for children or babies rooms.

-Nancy

Nancys last blog post: I’m back!

9. Vanessa commented
    December 4th, 2008 at 12:40pm

I love Paige Russell! Her minimalist-modern ceramics with a dose of humor I posted about back in September, including my personal favorite, the Bad Beaver Vase (http://huntpeck.blogspot.com/2008/09/etsy-finds.html). Isn’t she great?

Recently, I stumbled upon Etsy seller FoxandClover – http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5516716. I want the lucite doily necklace…

Vanessas last blog post: FoxandClover

10. eva commented
    December 5th, 2008 at 5:20am

Hi!
    I just wanted to add, that Matiolou has also an Etsy store http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5559292
    and she`s about to open her own studio-shop in France :)
    She really is great!

evas last blog post: SALE

11. Paige commented
    December 6th, 2008 at 10:21pm

Thanks Holly! I love your blog and am proud to be included.

paige