Bloggers

The Unicorn Diaries Blog

December 2, 2008

I felt so inspired as I looked through The Unicorn Diaries that I couldn’t simply save it for myself, it’s a blog meant to share so I’ve decided to make it the decor8 blog of the week. I’ve been so taken lately by soft colors of plum, pink, gray, pale mocha, beige, muted yellow, and gold to replace silver for at least a few months. I cannot stop thinking about texture from nubby raw silk to fine vintage French linen and thick knitted wool throws. Ahhh.

The Unicorn Diaries BlogThe Unicorn Diaries Blog

Watercolor pastels, texture, candlelight (it’s been getting dark here at 4 pm each day), necklaces with multiple vintage-inspired charms (tiny Eiffel towers, owls, ribbons), and layering my clothes (blouses with frilly cap sleeves over turtlenecks for instance). I’ve also been big on layering my socks, which is fun because here in Germany they sell these gorgeous crocheted footless socks that are meant to be layered over socks with toes and they look so pretty with heels. Another layered look I love is mismatched china in a buffet, a stack of patterned tea towels on the counter, and a bed with many patterns and colors layered into a big fluffy wonderland of comfort.

And there’s more. Much more. Like ornate Moorish-inspired tile work, ethnic patterns from Turkey and Morocco, wooden bird cages (in white) with twinkle lights inside atop an old wooden cabinet. And speaking of light, I love it filtered light through windows at midday… and photographing it to remember the glow for a bit longer. The smell and beauty of freshly fallen snow. We’ve had our first snow already and it was quite a treat. Swans on the lake and the rippled patterns of the water as they float by. Tim Walker. Still. A Fine Frenzy. Still.

The Unicorn Diaries BlogThe Unicorn Diaries BlogThe Unicorn Diaries Blog

I’m also thinking a lot lately about hats, my husband started this because he keeps insisting I buy a cute hat for winter, t-strap heels, plum tights, Mint & Vintage, candles that smell like baked goods, art journals, mini paintings, movies with gorgeous sets, ballerinas in white puffy tutus, Kindred, old books and portrait paintings, and a new bakery that just opened nearby with two large crystal chandeliers and fresh baked buns topped with candied walnuts, cardomon, and cinnamon. Mmmm. Perhaps I can photograph it and share this special little bakery with you tomorrow, would you enjoy seeing my new favorite place?

The Unicorn Diaries BlogThe Unicorn Diaries Blog

Though these are all things that have been on my mind lately, it seems another blogger shares some of my passions and this is exactly why I want you to visit The Unicorn Diaries in England because her blog is so visual, romantic, and somewhat emotional — I really, really think you will like it because it makes you feel like a very young girl again and sometimes that is what all grown up girls need. :)

What are a few of your favorite things at the moment?

(images from the unicorn diaries, more gorgeous images here)

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

• Reply Lisa Falzon December 2, 2008 at 2:03 pm

That happens to be one of my favourite blogs!
    The way its written is really something else.. deep-down inspiring. :)

• Reply juliette December 2, 2008 at 2:09 pm

my down comforter, good chocolate, hot chocolate while we’re at it, Christmas baking, the Weinachtsmarkts, our Advent Calendar, a weekend trip to see friends, plotting out Christmas packages, being done with school and having time to have breakfast or kafee/kuchen with friends, colored twine for this year’s gift wrapping, playing with holiday decor… just a few things! =)

• Reply GreenCanary December 2, 2008 at 2:15 pm

The movie stills (top, two girls in dresses; bottom, hands raised in the snow) are from the movie The Little Princess.

GreenCanarys last blog post: Neither Enjoy Nor Suffer, They Live In A Gray Twilight

• Reply Diann December 2, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Ohhhh…Thank you for that. That is one to save for those bad days. Absolutely beautiful.

Dianns last blog post: Christmas Stocking Extra Large Reds and gold

• Reply decor8 December 2, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Oh yes Green Canary they certainly are, I own the DVD and have been a fan since it released many years ago. Lovely film.

• Reply Online Shopping Chick December 2, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that beautiful blog. I’m having one of those “blah” days and that really perked me up!

Right now my favorite things are scented candles, my warmest sweaters and the thought of putting up the Christmas tree this weekend.

Online Shopping Chicks last blog post: Holiday Turkey

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 2, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Beautiful, lovely, gorgeous and so much fun! I love what you are thinking about these days…..it all sounds SO lovely and romantic! I have been thinking about….yummy soft cowls, slouchy berets, red and white stripes, big, beautiful jewelry, sparkling tiny earrings and lots of laughter with friends!
    It all sounds so good to me and this blog is divine! Thanks for sharing sweet Holly!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Kathryn December 2, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Hi Holly, a big thank you for sharing the unicorn diaries its so beautiful, i love everything about it and her. Definately a real treasure. will be adding to my links! butterfly wishes Kathryn x

Kathryns last blog post: The delight of grey with pink

• Reply Kristan December 2, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I really like the blog, but I wish the font were a bit darker… It’s so hard to see!

My favorite things at the moment are hot chocolate, watching my puppy watching the snow falling outside our window, and the warmth of fleece-lined boots. Wintry much? Hehehe.

Kristans last blog post: From The Dieline: Aquafina Alive

• Reply suzie December 2, 2008 at 4:46 pm

where is that dress with the grey skirt from??? i certainly would love to wear that this holiday!

• Reply Heidi Jo December 2, 2008 at 4:47 pm

My favorite things right now are vintage hats, boots (all shapes, textures and heights), jewel tones, dessert-scented candles (that’s a year round favorite), combining Christmas lights in many different colors and sizes, wrapping presents in newspaper with bright ribbons, everything comfy-cozy: down blankets, sweats, wool, grandma-knit sock slippers, leg warmers, hot water with lemon, soup, hubby cuddles… and so much more.

Heidi Jos last blog post: my treasured EMBROIDERED ANIMAL ALPHABET

• Reply Sheila Bocchine, Pinhole Photographer December 2, 2008 at 4:50 pm

WOW! So beautiful and soft. I am headed right now to the blog!

• Reply Beth December 2, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Very romantic imagery in that blog.

Me, I’m loving the snow. Today my sweet Russian friend shared a website that has some neat paper snowflake patterns.

It’s in Russian but the diagrams for cutting snowflakes need no translation:)

Also, I didn’t know this but apparently when celebrating New Years it’s very common for little girls in Russia to dress up as glittery snow princesses. Makes me think about that cute old song & stop motion animation piece “Suzy Snowflake.” Nostalgic :)

Beths last blog post: Black Swans Repeating Tif – Spoonflower Ready

• Reply Lisa Occhipinti December 2, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Thanks so much for including one of my book mobiles in your Favorite 8! And congrats on yet another inspiring entry on Decor 8!

• Reply Brandie December 2, 2008 at 9:57 pm

Thanks Holly for introducing me to the Unicorn Diaries! It is now a bookmark that I will visit often.

My favorite things are my baby boys toothless smile, my pug Pete’s nightly snore, bunny tracks in fresh fallen snow, paper honeycomb Christmas bells, vintage mercury pieces for my Christmas mantel.

Happy Holidays!

Brandies last blog post: Amy Butler Christmas

• Reply San Smith December 2, 2008 at 11:36 pm

I love the unicorn diaries blog – all the imagery is so fantastic.

• Reply alia December 2, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. I want to live in that blog!

alias last blog post: BIRDS on a Wire Mug

• Reply Shanon December 3, 2008 at 12:35 am

A few of my favorite things at the moment…
    *the 2 holly berries candles that I’ve been burning
    *listening to orchestra music to “warm up the house”
    *the sour cream mash potatoes I made for thanksgiving
    *the fact that my hubs brushes the snow off my car in the a.m.
    *listerine’s tooth whitening pen
    *olive green holiday decorations
    *ruffles on sweaters and everywhere else

Shanons last blog post: Lights

• Reply Michelle December 3, 2008 at 1:26 am

Thank you for opening me up to this wonderful blog! The pictures are fabulous!!

Michelles last blog post: Mexican Hot Chocolate

• Reply Christen December 3, 2008 at 2:29 am

Thank you so much for sharing that blog. I can tell it is one to cherish.

As of late, I can’t get enough of cuddling up under my favorite blanket with some of my knitting, a good book or even this very laptop.

Christens last blog post: Gettin’ Toasty!

• Reply Vica (Flying Umbrellas) December 3, 2008 at 10:30 am

Thank you for sharing The Unicorn Diaries blog.. It is very lovely…
    Hm… my favorite things at the moment… the snowy day outside, the Nicu Alifantis folk music (a romanian artist), the wildkirsche tee and some tender creatures and paintings by Ga?lle Boissonnard, a french painter (my last post is about her magnifique work).

Vica (Flying Umbrellas)s last blog post: A snowy day with fairy tales

• Reply Morgan December 3, 2008 at 11:05 am

what a lovely blog! Thanks for sharing.

Morgans last blog post: I'll touch every star in the sky print 8×10

• Reply Nadine December 4, 2008 at 11:20 am

Ooh, I love it.

My favorite things right now:
    dark chocolate
    scarves
    twinkle lights
    cinnamon tea
    statement jewelry
    distressed leather bags
    fresh tracks in the snow

Nadines last blog post: My Night Without Eric Hutchinson

• Reply robyn December 4, 2008 at 1:55 pm

oh yes, I used to read her livejournal and I think she had or has a flickr as well, http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkpockets/
    love, love, love