Inspiration

Inspiration Boards & You!

December 12, 2008

I promised earlier this week that I’d share my current inspirations with you, what’s on my mood board, so I photographed it this morning since we finally had some sunshine. It’s time for a little show and tell, but more showing that telling… Here’s what I’m loving lately…

Pulling together this board made me think of that song, My Favorite Things, a childhood favorite of mine that my mother sang to me before bed at night. “Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes; Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes; Silver-white winters that melt into springs; These are a few of my favorite things.”

With that song in mind, this board shows a few of my favorite things. Tassels, silver, matte gold, chunky knit throws, messy bed hair, raw silk in orchid and pale turquoise (think sea glass), snowflakes, handmade clay beads from Africa, silk thread, butterflies, vintage green cars (I dream of owning a 1950’s citroen or a 70’s fiat like this one), patterned dresses (over tights or even skinny jeans), and mostly white interiors with shots of beautiful color and pattern, Ethnic Scandinavian is my new made up word for this look, though same may call it bohemian modern.

Ah… I love my current mood board. It’s so peaceful and it really made me happy to pull it together this week.

What are some of your inspirations?
If you feel like pulling together a mood board and photographing it, please do — and share it with us! You can send your mood boards to me at holly AT decor8blog.com (subject line: Mood Board. Please do not attach photos, just send me a link to your board on your blog or on flickr) and I’ll select 10 of my favorites and post them here on decor8 next week linking back to your website/blog. For those I do not select, I will still include a link in the post to your mood board so everyone has a chance to see it. Along with your board, please state your inspirations and anything else you would like for me to include with your post. All mood boards must be received by December 15th. Oh, and please tell me who you dedicate your board to. Names and links please. No more than five please.

I dedicate this board to my those who helped inspire it, some very dear friends of mine: Esra, Petra, Kathryn, Ez (Heather), and Marisa. xoxo.

(photographs by holly becker for decor8)

25 Comments

• Reply Diana December 12, 2008 at 10:18 am

How lovely! I love the shades of purple with the turquoise – what a great combination!

Dianas last blog post: Etsy Love

• Reply michelle December 12, 2008 at 10:35 am

it looks like your moodboard has been translated quite well to your new home in germany

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente December 12, 2008 at 10:55 am

Gorgeous….absolute gorgeousness and Very inspiring. I love all of these rich tones and lovely metallics….so pretty. I also love the idea of wearing those dresses over jeans( I love that look). I am so glad it makes you happy, it makes me happy too!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Jill December 12, 2008 at 12:27 pm

That aqua dupioni silk on your mood board is the exact material of the curtains in my living room and adjoining dining room! They make the rooms look gorgeous and the color seems to look good with any other color that I choose to put in the rooms! Lovely!

• Reply Rita Vindedzis December 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm

What a beautiful mood board Holly. I like your colors but they look like summer to me. My mood boards usually change with the season and time for me to change it up. You just gave me the motivation to do just that. Thanks!! Like the bohemian modern too!!

Rita Vindedziss last blog post: My "Big Salad" Nicoise

• Reply Lianne December 12, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Wow – I love that dress – where is it from?

• Reply Kathryn December 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Gorgeous! how we need a splash of color in the winter time, this has been like color therapy for me. I love the butterfly and the candle arrangement and that turquoise material is heaven. Very inspired to do a mood board now, will see how the weekend goes. Thank you so much for the dedication dear Hol,i want to do the same idea on my blog now! be in touch,
    kathryn x0x

Kathryns last blog post: Mally’s beauty

• Reply Ez December 12, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Beautiful in every way Holly… just like you!
    Love,
    Ez

Ezs last blog post: Creature of Comfort: Summer from Design is Mine

• Reply Esra December 13, 2008 at 5:10 am

Hi honey, thank you so much for the dedication !
    This is not just a moodboard, it´s totally you !!
    Excellent job, my dear,
    Love,
    Esra

Esras last blog post: Sevan Bicakci

• Reply Nancy Tobin December 13, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Holly –
    Your beautiful collection reminds me of the colors and iridescence of an opal or a soap bubble. It makes me want to get up to my studio and paint!
    Thanks!
    Nancy

Nancy Tobins last blog post: Protean Transporters in Newark!

• Reply Maia December 13, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Ah, this is something I’ve been meaning to put on my blog. I have so many of them, and i love to see the encrusted layers of a person’s visual inspiration. It’s wonderful.

Maias last blog post:

• Reply greenolive December 14, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Looks like you are dreaming of summer on some island in the Caribbean perhaps? Great inspiration. Thanks.

greenolives last blog post: the spirit of handmade

• Reply decor8 December 15, 2008 at 6:15 am

I’ve enjoyed reading your comments, thank you for leaving them!
    Many commented that this reminds them of summer. I think that
    blues and greens have long been associated with summer months
    so I guess that’s why. I was raised on the beach down south so I did not grow up around “traditional” holiday or winter colors. Perhaps my childhood influenced this board a little. Hmmm. Makes me think now.

Also funny but I have to say this, all of these images were taken from magazines here dated Nov/Dec! Not from summer issues. I think you can notice this from the lady wrapped in a multitude of sweaters and such.

• Reply Lianne December 15, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Holly – I didn’t think these felt like summer colours at all – and I am in Canada. To me they are a very northern pallette – kind of cool and icy and look great in northern light. I am looking at a similar pallette for my new house. I never thought of doing up a board – but I love the idea and have started on it.

I would still love to have any info you can provide about the dress.

Thanks!

• Reply decor8 December 15, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Hi Lianne!

I’m sorry, I forgot to reply to your earlier question. Please accept my apologies. The paper says “Nicole by Nicole Miller” and the price is $90. I’m not sure how old the magazine is, my friend Esra loaned me the tear out.

XO
    Holly

• Reply Madelyn @ Southern Weddings December 15, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I love all the magnificent colors of this post! That dress is so beautiful and very inspiring. Phenomenal post!

Madelyn @ Southern Weddingss last blog post: {Southern} Details: Kate + Keith

• Reply Jackie December 15, 2008 at 5:27 pm

What a gorgeous moodboard! I just love all the colors and textures. So yummy! I just emailed you mine as well. Thanks for the inspiration :)

• Reply Darle J. Dawson December 15, 2008 at 7:05 pm

My buddy (we met in 1st grade) and I have the same ‘coach’. Keeping us accountable for our artwork, direction and focus, her last assigmnent to us was to create an inspiration board. (I’ve been without a compass, as it were, for a while; the board is to be my starting point for *something*. ANYthing! lol)

It’s due in two days. Professional proctastinator I am, your board is a great catapult of inspiration. Out of this office/art space to forage through my treasures and create, I thank you!

Darle J. Dawsons last blog post: Paper Cottage number 2 – achieve

• Reply Petra :-) December 16, 2008 at 3:07 am

Holly, darling :-) …the way you have written about my style still touches me so much :-)
    love
    Petra :-)

Petra :-)s last blog post: oriental window watch :-)

• Reply Sarah J December 16, 2008 at 11:22 am

OH damn… just seeing this post now and would have loved to contribute. Please do this again…or maybe accept a late submission!?!?

Love your blog.

Sarah Js last blog post: smile.

• Reply dwellings and decor December 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Your inspiration board is stunning! You have such a great eye for putting things together.

dwellings and decors last blog post: Holiday Decorating: Table Top Inspiration

• Reply Ecojotter January 6, 2009 at 5:53 pm

Ooooh, I was just visiting a blog of a fashion design student who happened to share her “inspiration board.” I recall hearing an interview on the radio once that each year, around this time (the beginning) a life coach (or professor of sociology perhaps) takes a “mental health day” to make a collage of inspirations for the year… :D Thanks for sharing yours!

Ecojotters last blog post: And the December Giveaway Winner is…

• Reply Bohemian fashionista December 12, 2009 at 1:08 pm

That is one of the best Bohemian inspiration board that I’ve seen. It true to look and is very inspiring. It made me want to go out and create an inspiration board of my own. It’s beautiful. I love the dress and the butterfly.