iPod Touch: Your Thoughts?

This is a little embarrassing to admit, but when it comes to gadgets I’m in the stone age. My phone is not very exciting, it’s old and lots of the keys do not work. And while my desktop computer is swanky, my laptop is far from cool. What made me wake up to the fact that my gadgets aren’t very current has to do with a young girl seated nearby on my flight home. You can learn a lot from a college student. She was sitting there enjoying videos and TV shows on her iPod and there I was with my prehistoric iPod Classic, well perhaps it is called the super classic or something because it has no color and can only play music and podcasts. I’ve used it for several years now and felt quite content with the way things were up until my flight home. I felt so out of touch, like I should be wearing mom jeans and a scrunchie, but more than that, kind of ticked because I wanted to watch sitcoms and music videos like college girl.

When I got home, I contacted my Mac geek friend in Luxembourg and he suggested the iPod Touch 30 Gig so I  ordered it. It will arrive on Wednesday, the day I will officially rank a few points higher on the hip-o-meter. I rarely let others influence my purchases but I’m glad I did this time because I think this little gadget will be helpful for me and I love the fact that I can access the web on it and Facebook because I’m ADDICTED to it.

I know this isn’t a gadget blog, but I have to ask… Does anyone have the iPod Touch and if so, would you like to leave a review? I’m always interested in what my friends have to say about products so I’d appreciate your feedback. I’m especially interested in small business tips and ways that it may be able to help me in that respect.

(image from mac)

Posted by decor8 in small business on December 22, 2008

1. Ryan commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:19pm

I have an iPod Touch and I love it. The only thing I would tell you is to get a cover for it immediately. The back of those things scratch super easy and mine was pretty bad before I got a cover on it. I ended up purchasing this. Enjoy!

Ryans last blog post: How to Eat a Chocolate Pretzel According to Chloe

2. Samantha Lamb commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:19pm

oohhhhh i adore my i-pod touch:) i have had it for a while now…. great storage for my photos and a great traveling calendar… i have two movies on it “Harold & Maude” & “Amelie”… a few music videos.. mostly Sigur Ros… and i am in love with having all of my folk music at the tips of my fingers:) just lovely:) Small buisness wise…it is a great inspiration tool and it helps scatter brain me never miss a meeting:) plus…being an apple product the possibilities are endless…their are a million applications you can add to fit your personality and business:) i enjoy the fact that i have my entire photo portfolio at the “touch” of my fingers…

I send my love:)

Cheers, Beards & Banjos,

Miss Lamb

3. Laura commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:28pm

I got a ipod touch this fall and LOVE it! It’s a great alternative to the iphone which is way pricy with lame-o ATT service. I get to keep my verizon and have internet almost all the time. and watch lost, whenever i want.

4. Erin commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:33pm

I love my Touch. You’ll quickly become addicted – like I am. Honestly, I use it more as an email device than a traditional iPod – I love that I can check my email for my small buisness anywhere I am (that has WiFi). It’s really easy to set up multiple email accounts (I have it fetch 3 of mine). Also – get yourself familiar with the App store in iTunes (either through the Touch itself or on iTunes on your computer) – there are MANY great apps you can download (a lot of the best ones are free!) that are time savers, shortcuts, and just plain fun. Some of my favorites are: Pick and Choose grocery list organizer, the official PayPal app, ToDo (a list app), Pandora radio (free personalized radio station – this is why I hardly listen to the music on my iPod), and of course, the Facebook app. :) Have fun with your new toy!

Erins last blog post: Back from Vacation!

5. Rachel B commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:47pm

I have an iPod Touch!

I use the Google Reader app like it’s my job. It helps me weed through things quickly.

Non-business apps: I like the iPump series, because it has brief videos of exercises and it lets you track your reps. I also like Easy Relax, which lets you play relaxing sounds for a specified period of time; great for sleeping on planes/trains. Podcasts are still big for me. I subscribe to The Journal with Bill Moyers (‘real news’), and Yoga Today, which has 10 minute video podcasts about yoga-related stuff (postures to help you sleep, improve core strength, etc).

Rachel Bs last blog post: Almost a snow day

6. Mike commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:51pm

I would definitely suggest getting an iPod Touch. I was lucky enough to receive one free with the purchase of my MacBook Pro back in June since Apple was running a special for students going back to school. There are so many cool things to do; from watching movies to keeping up to date with email and calendars, I’m sure you will love it. Plus, there are tons of free applications you can download like Facebook, AOL Radio (which allows you to stream radio when you’re under WiFi), and tons of games. I personally love docking mine in my iHome and streaming radio on Last FM. With so much versatility, and essentially everything the iPhone has but the phone and hefty monthly bill, you should seriously consider getting it.

By the way, I read your blog daily and I’m glad you had a safe trip home.
    Merry Christmas!
    Mike

7. Bénédicte commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 12:55pm

I have an Iphone, which is just the same plus you can phone and I am totally addicted !

8. Fiona Richards commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 1:24pm

I had the Ipod Touch before I got my IPhone.

I think that you will love the Touch – I used it all the time before hubby got me an Iphone. I rarely use my Iphone as a phone so I would have been much better off staying with the Touch.

Where we live there are loads of WiFi hot spots so you never need to worry about being offline. There is a really good WiFi App that will BING everytime you are in a free hotspot so that you don’t need to check.

The otherr thing I love about the Touch and the IPhone is being able to keep the entire cartolina portfolio in Iphoto and have it handy at all times in case I am caught without catalogues at a social event etc.

And did I mention the camera? Avsolutely briiiant camera(just try to keep it nice a clean!)

I bought the best wallet for my Touch and my IPhone at Target

You’ll love it!

Fiona Richardss last blog post:

9. Breakfast for Dinner commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 1:30pm

I LOVE my iPod Touch!!! I just got it for myself as an early Christmas gift and am addicted. I use it to keep track of appointments, make lists in the notepad, and of course listen to music. I especially love the Genius feature in the iTunes store because it intuitively makes some (usually) great playlists that I would have never thought to put together…especially when I have over 3000 songs to keep organized.

One huge tip: keep your songs organized! It’s so important to categorize things well at the beginning so that when you sync up, everything is easy to find.

Breakfast for Dinners last blog post: It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

10. Taylor commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 1:34pm

I love my MacBook but all I want my cell phone to do is make phone calls! That’s what I grew up with. That’s what I know. If I want music, I have an MP3 player. If I want to watch a movie, I have a DVD player. I’ll go home to do these things. I don’t want it all at my finger-tips so I can sit and get fat!

Taylors last blog post: Koala: My First Love

11. holly commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 1:34pm

I LOVE my i-touch. It has completely replaced my laptop. I love the applications and found it is really easy to use. The thing I do not like about it…is sending emails. I think it is hard to type (you have to use one finger). Therefore I save most of my emailing (unless a quick response) for my desktop mac.

I also love being able to download music directly to the ipod! You’ll love it!

12. Amanda commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 1:49pm

I got my Touch about 2 months ago, and I love it. I have a few apps which make it worth more than its weight in gold (ToDo and GroceryIQ. Um, and a sudoku app and some other games), and with a wee critter hanging on my legs and yelling for my attention every time I touch my laptop, I truly love being able to secretly check email without him being any the wiser. I honestly don’t know what I did without it. The ONLY thing I wish it had, the missing item which really brings it down in my estimation, is a camera.

13. Tara commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 2:28pm

The ipod touch is great! I have the iphone (although switching from verizon sucked) the upside is that the iphone is 3G. What this means is that you can access the internet and facebook from anywhere. The touch doesn’t have this, so you have to be near wi-fi service, basically in a house or a starbucks. Other than that the applications are amazing!!!!

14. hampton commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 2:52pm

i love my touch. i am thinking about switching to the iphone because i need a new phone (and because my work has blocked facebook and it’s KILLING ME so being able to facebook from the iphone seems like a clever little work around!) but the touch has been great. the only thing to be aware of is if your computer is super old (like mine) and has regular old usb ports instead of usb 2.0 ports you will have problems. i had to burn cd’s of music files and bring them to download on to my work computer and then sync there because my computer at home does not have usb 2.0 ports and it won’t work. kind of a pain but if your computer is newish you shouldn’t have that issue.

15. Mo commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 3:17pm

What I love about my ipod touch is the way you can flip through albums and see the covers at the same time ( almost like a jute box). If your a visual person like I am, this allows you to see covers to albums you may have forgotten about. Also, you have to check out this website: poolga.com/en/ you can download a free desktop picture for your new ipod!

Enjoy!!!

16. Brittany commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 3:17pm

Ohhh I also love my iPod Touch! I just got it two weeks ago for my Birthday, and haven’t been able to pry it from my hands since! I wanted an iPod Touch instead of the iPhone for several reasons i) here in Canada the iPhone is very hard to get, and plans start at about $120/month (yikes!) and ii) i can put everything I ever need on it; music, movies, pictures, calendar, contacts, etc.

And all the apps you can download… wow!

The one thing that I don’t like is that some apps (like restaurant finders and music streaming apps) are not available in my area in Canada, boooo!

But all in all, I Love It!!

Brittanys last blog post: Aih My Back, Cupcakes and Freebies

17. Sandra commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 3:21pm

I LOVE my Ipod Touch! I have had it for about 8 months now and use it all the time. Big fan of the podcast and having access to my music library is great too.

My only “dinosaur”-ish aspect is still using a Palm Pilot for a daytimer but am switching over in the new year. I know, I might as well be using a stick in the dirt to keep track of appointments!

I think it’s the best hardware invention of the past 10 years (the Ipod that is, and now the Ipod Touch).

Sandras last blog post: I don’t celebrate Christmas…

18. Jesse commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 4:01pm

Very well done with this purchase Miss Holly :)
    I could NOT live without my Ipod Touch anymore…I even have my shopping list on there and it syncs through the air with my to-do-list (it´s called “things” and is in my humble opinion THE best to-do-program) on my mac…
    But the best part for me as a photographer is that I have all my photos on there and am able to show my portfolio as a slideshow at any time…VERY good for business :)

Have FUN with your new toy and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you and yours *sends hugs across the ocean*

Jesses last blog post: 13…

19. robyn commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 4:40pm

Are you familiar with artist Amanda Kavanagh?
    She creates pieces of art on her iphone with an app called brushes and then sells prints of them in her etsy shop. I think the app would also work on the ipod touch as well.
    Her work inspires me and makes me want to get the iphone for nothing else, then to paint away with a touch of the finger.

20. decor8 commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 5:21pm

Your comments have been super helpful, thank you so much. I keep coming back to read them as they come in. :)

Hi Jesse!!! :)

Brittany – I noticed that too, the phone plans for the iPhone are well over $100 a month and since I’m only in the states 6 or 7 months a year, it’s not the best investment for me.

Mo: Thanks for that tip, sounds very cool. I should talk to my Ez about having a few available for the next round of the Kindred project. That would be pretty cool, huh?

Robyn – Thanks, can’t wait to check out that link.

Fiona – It has a camera? I don’t think I noticed that. Wow, that’s cool.

xo
    Holly

21. Kristan commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 6:05pm

I actually am quite happy with my ancient iPod, because all I want it for is to play music — it’s my computer and my digital camera that matter to me most, in terms of getting nerdy about specs and looks and whatnot — but I got an iPod Touch for my bf who wanted one dearly, and he loves it. Great for travel too, which you’ll be doing with your Germany home now I’m sure.

Hope you enjoy it!

Kristans last blog post: From the Dieline: Hypothetical redesign of Monopoly

22. Shanny commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 7:08pm

Love, love, love the ipod touch! Its awesome and you wont regret buying it!

Shannys last blog post: Tagged, I’m it!

23. Kaitlyn commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 7:23pm

holly,
    i love my itouch, and my most favorite thing on it (besides Fbook, b.c i’m obsessed) is my ical, which i have synced to the ical on my macbook, which is then synced to my google calendar. it sounds like a lot of syncing, but it is so greta to be able to check my google calendar right there in my pocket. i’m typically a handwritten-planner/calendar girl, but this little device has turned me over to the tech side. i think you’ll love it; there’re always new apps being created, and there’s really so much you can do with it.

and it’s a great help when you’re visiting chicago & you can’t find your way, so you pop into a wifi hotspot & use the google maps apps. just saying’. :o)

have fun! and welcome back to the northeast.. we got wooped!

Kaitlyns last blog post:

24. Kaitlyn commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 7:23pm

holly,

have fun! and welcome back to the northeast.. we got wooped!

25. Terriaw commented
    December 22nd, 2008 at 8:34pm

I have had an iPod touch for over a year now, and I love it too! I have also grown addicted to being able to check email anywhere, and keep up with my blog readers. It’s like a mini computer. Definitely get a cover for it right away.

The only problem I’ve ever had with it is twice the screen wouldn’t accept my touch when I was online. The Apple store helped me by reseting Safari. Just have to remember to clear the cache often.

Terriaws last blog post: Holiday Traditions

26. Erin @ Bride Design commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 12:35am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post! I have been on the fence (iphone or itouch) and after reading all the comments, I’m sold. itouch it is! Time to get shopping!

Erin @ Bride Designs last blog post: Anatomy of a Family Holiday Card

27. Cheri commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 4:41am

I have an iPhone and I love it, but I use my cell phone for work, so the monthly charges actually ended up being only 15 dollars more a month.
    I’d suggest a couple of really great apps. Toodledo – it makes to do lists and prioritizes them, you can even put them in folders for say Germany and America so that your to do’s in each country have seperate folders. Stanza is wonderful – free books to read. Jott records any ideas you have down like a tape recorder and then emails them to you! Pandora is an amazing app that allows you to program your own radio stations and then plays you music for free. Not that you’re trying but Cycles is a really great fertility program.

28. Kelly commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 5:30am

I love mine, and it’s so much more than something that holds your mp3s, it’s a mini computer. And…it’s a total laptop replacement for all those little things you check all day long (including Facebook.) It will totally revolutionize your computer usage, make you feel way more efficient, and all the apps are just too much fun. Although, they are daunting to dive into and sort through…but that’s just part of the fun. We highlighted our favorite travel apps on our site.

You’ll love it, and I bet you’ll see yourself wanting an iPhone/Touch version of decor8 in the near future. ;)

Kellys last blog post: Year In Review: Travel Like A Human Being

29. Sallie commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 10:50am

I have the iPhone, same as the iPod touch, just w. a phone, and I LOVE it! I must admit that I still prefer my iPod Classic (bohemoth!) for music playing, and I don’t really do any video watching… but I do love having my e-mail, Facebook, etc. at the touch of my fingers on my iPHone! Not to mention the calendar, and all of my contacts!!

Sallies last blog post: Living Large and a Sad Commentary on Why We Don’t Do It More Often

30. Sallie commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 10:51am

p.s. I hope you saw the poste I did about Haus Maus!

31. Thinkie commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 11:07am

so if you’re in the stone age with your old I-pod, then where am I?!?! :-) My phone doesn’t play music/radio/images, it doesn’t take pictures, I can’t go online with it, but hey, I can call and sms with it so I’m pretty content!

32. Ellen Crimi-Trent commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 2:09pm

best thing ever invented and you can download a ton of images which is great for me to bring to shows! Plus you have free internet without having to pay for it like you phone, as long as you are in a wireless area. The maps, etc. so much more plus its really cool!!

Ellen Crimi-Trents last blog post: Here comes Santa Claus……!

33. Jonathan commented
    December 23rd, 2008 at 7:48pm

If you were a dinosaur for having an older generation of an iPod, then what am I since I don’t have a cell phone, a pager, a mp3 player, and a 9-year old computer?

I can’t see myself using a cell phone because I wouldn’t have anyone to call or to text to often enough to warrant the cost of paying a monthly cost for using it. I can only see myself using it if I’m in the same town where some of my friends for meeting up and what not, but this happened only twice in the last year! Is there an option for me if I wanted to have a mobile phone and use it only during certain period of the year?

34. shimelle commented
    December 24th, 2008 at 6:53am

i have an iphone (i’m in the UK and our plans are a bit different — there was one that was perfect for me so easy choice!) and i love it. the thing that has always surprised me about the iphone (and similarly the ipod touch) is that the organiser side is marketed toward people who actually *are* organised. they have this all wrong. because it’s so magical it can take someone who is not really organised make them *appear* really organised. which is the best thing ever. so if you use gmail, for instance, you know you have that message….somewhere. and if you needed to have a certain message printed out and you well…didn’t…normally you would look disorganised. instead, you press about three buttons and presto! ‘why yes, i have that right here.’ (i also use the 3g on the phone to help me get unlost all the time. i will walk right past an address and not realise it. the 3g maps will find me and tell me that duh — it’s fifty paces behind you on the left. so suddenly one gadget has given me organisational wonderskills and a sense of direction! this is magic.)

and to jonathan’s comment just above mine — there is definitely an option for a mobile phone you only want to use now and then. get a prepaid phone with the minimum credit. useful in your case because you don’t really want to be hooked up with a cell all the time (they can receive calls but if you don’t want to receive calls just leave it switched off and don’t give the number as your contact); useful in times of emergency too. i went without cell for a very long time until i started commuting on a pretty unpredictable stretch and a prepaid phone made me know i wouldn’t need to walk ten miles in the snow to a farm house if my car broke down. now i keep it in a drawer for when we have visitors from abroad so they don’t have to worry about getting scarily high bills on their phones.

shimelles last blog post: Crafty Christmas :: Canvas Ornaments [13]

35. Megan commented
    December 25th, 2008 at 3:43pm

I love my iPod touch, it makes life so much easier, not only is it fun ( music and lots of great apps-mostly free! But having a small business it’s great for research (I use an app called byline for Reading blogs-synched to google reader) I can then keep up to date wherever I am as it archives blogs for reading later. It is great for emailing away from home. I use it to show people my artwork and videos too. It’s just so good it will make life so much easier and lots of fun-just got rolando a great game!!

36. kim commented
    December 27th, 2008 at 1:36am

I love my iPod touch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m writing this now on it. I’m completely addicted and it’s constantly by my side. It does pretty much Everything That a computer can but its put into a handy dandy cute iPod. Music, games, Internet, aim it has everything you could think of. It’s definetely worth all the money!!

37. Zozie commented
    December 29th, 2008 at 7:12am

I only bought my iPhone a week ago and I love it to bits! I put all my Christmas and sale shopping lists on it and deleted things as I bought them, which took a lot of the stress out of Christmas shopping and remembering what was left to do. I’ve been using it for Facebook, and Google Reader for reading blogs, and I read my first ebook using Stanza and now I need more – great to have so many options of things to look at and read to make the bus trip go faster. It synched all my contacts and calendar and internet bookmarks perfectly so I didn’t have to type anything in.

Many thanks to Robyn above for pointing out Amanda Kavanagh’s art – how amazing to have created those beautiful pieces on an iPhone!

BTW I have just discovered your blog via Australia’s Real Living mag and I think it’s going to become a favourite :)

38. Nancy Tobin commented
    December 29th, 2008 at 12:21pm

I’ve had my iphone since September, and i don’t know what I’d do without it. I never thought I’d have a love affair with gadgets, but between my iphone, my Macbook Pro and me it’s true love!
    Enjoy!
    xo Nancy
    PS did someone mention that if you have a mac system, you can sync all your address info and calendar automatically though MobilMe?

Nancy Tobins last blog post: Desire

39. Jessie commented
    December 29th, 2008 at 6:42pm

Facebook on iPod Touch?! That’s the exact same reason why I want an iPod Touch, too!! ^5

40. Sara commented
    January 5th, 2009 at 9:30pm

Love mine- just my 2 cents! Even my little guy (who is five) loves watching a movie or cartoon on it from time to time at the doctors office or in the car. I think you will love your purchase- I *heart* mine.

41. Andrea commented
    January 6th, 2009 at 4:26am

This post I really enjoy. My husband is always looking for new gadgets from the first computer on. I will buy a iPod too. Thanks.

Andreas last blog post: Was ist eigentlich Stil?

42. sara commented
    January 6th, 2009 at 2:50pm

I love my iPod Touch. I got two cases for it:

1) Clear polycarbonate to protect from scratches and drops; this one has a video kickstand built in so you can prop it up to watch movies! It’s wonderful: http://www.dlo.com/Products/vshell_touch2g_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1231266737505836

2) I also got a soft cover to keep it in, because the hard clear cases don’t really cover the screen (and I keep it in my purse with pens and keys and other mildly sharp objects). I got foof: http://www.foofpod.com/

But my all-time dream case would be from Vaja (http://www.vajacases.com/home/home_en.html) drool!

43. decor8 commented
    January 6th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Great, thanks everyone. I love the Touch, I use it every single day and like Sara I purchased those clear things to stick on the glass and a soft cover for it. It’s a great little guy to have around. Now I’m wishing it would stay charged longer, like 30 hours. he he

44. MARK commented
    January 24th, 2009 at 9:36am

I LOVE my ipod touch.
    I just got it three weeks ago. I know how to use it.
    It has alot of features. One feature i’m not sure how to use is the speakers.
    I turned it on but nothing happened.
    I was looking at this website hoping to find the info I need but I didd’nt.
    So now i’m writing to eny one who can help.

I have this website on my favorites list.
    I will keep loging on to this website every day.
    So if anyone can help me with this situation write back.

-MARK-

45. juan commented
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:56am

well i have had an ipod touch 4g for the last few months and it has be great both in entertainment and for school. It just has many app and i dont know what i would do without it