Rooms

Wall Murals

January 10, 2009

This image from the Library of Congress gives us a majestic glimpse of Norway in the winter of 1890. This is soothing, don’t you think? Outside of soothing, it also got me thinking a lot about scenic wall murals again. I don’t know, they can look nice sometimes and I’ll show you two examples of what I mean below, so save those “Ewww” remarks for a moment and wait for the photos…

See many more here: Photochrom Travel Views.

This image reminds me of a wall mural that is a bit campy but I love it because it’s in my favorite neighborhood bar in Hannover called Blattgold. They papered the wall in a mural much like this one and added faux antlers and lots of fun, modern lighting, mid century modern chairs and sofas, and on another wall, this gold flock wallpaper. You’d never think these things could live together but they do. Another wall is emerald green and lime, really! I wish I had photos. Such a fun idea for a bar! It’s funky eclectic, owner Sascha did a great job decorating this place. I remember seeing a scenic wall mural on Apartment Therapy that I really liked, they found it in Cottage Living magazine. Here it is below…

AT said that the homeowner, “fell in love with this wilderness-themed mural in a hunting catalog and instantly needed it in her bedroom. She pasted it up, just like wallpaper.”

Wait! I do have photos of Blattgold. I found them online at a site for restaurant reviews called Qype. These photos were shot during the day, at night the restaurant lighting is very come hither with lots of candles. They also seem to love Amy Winehouse and Johnny Cash because last time I was in they played both CDs in their entirety.

Oh, wait. Blattgold has their website up (it wasn’t up back in November). You can view more photos there I think. I can’t wait until I’m back in Hannover this year to hang out there with Anne! Hi Anne!

So with that, see you on Monday friends! Have a great weekend everyone. Play, rest, eat, light candles, invite over some friends, rent a movie, order take out, sleep in, go skiing, fit in something fun!  – Holly

(image top: library of congress 2nd image: apartment therapy via cottage living, bottom 4 images from qype members weasley and posch)

15 Comments

• Reply hazel January 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Very cool. Reminds me of the ones in Sears catalogue when I was a kid here in Canada of the moonscape.

hazels last blog post: Dance Me to the End of Love…..

• Reply sweetcheese January 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I have a pretty good imagination, but I couldn’t understand how lime green, antlers, gold flocked wallpaper, and a scenic mural could work well together. But the absolutely DO! Love it.

sweetcheeses last blog post: score!

• Reply decor8 January 10, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Seriously Sweetcheese me too. If I had heard of this and not seen it with my own eyes I’d be a bit disturbed by it honestly. But seeing it in person for myself, I was smitten. It wasn’t that this is such a posh well-executed interior design example, it is that the place is bursting with the personality of the owner and when you’re in there I swear you feel like it’s your home. The bartender is a doll too, my husband left his leather gloves (not cheap, either) and he saved them for us. He also kept asking everyone in the bar what music they wanted to hear next and then he’d play it. Loved that vibe, you know?

• Reply Tiffany January 10, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Not to go off topic, but I noticed your link to Cottage Living. I just got notice that they will no longer be making that magazine and I’m totally bummed! I loved that magazine! I especially loved the features specifically on Cottages. Even new ones being built by builders in a “green” way. Finally it seemed that builders were catching on that we didn’t need 3,000 square foot homes and all of us can live just fine with a lot less space. They’re replacing my subscription with Coastal Living. I don’t know much about it, but I hope it’s just as good.

Tiffanys last blog post: A New Blog. A Different Blog.

• Reply Sara LeeAnn January 10, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Oh mercy! Blattgold is divine. Must peruse their website next to discover who designed this space – it’s so eclectic and colorful but manages to stop just before it crosses the line into chaotic. Thanks for sharing these images, Holly!

Sara LeeAnns last blog post: Be A Laugher, Not A Fighter.

• Reply i.d. January 10, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I love the idea of taking my bedroom to another place! Let’s say…paris? :)

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) January 10, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Love wall murals. I didn’t know that one was at the Library of Congress – I’ve been meaning to go but haven’t made it in a while. Will have to plan a visit in the next couple of weeks!

Tabitha (From Single to Married)s last blog post: Bloggies

• Reply Laura January 11, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Wow – I can see why Blattgold is a favorite of yours! It looks like a really fun place to hang out. A happy place. Especially love the diner-style bar & cool stools. Actually what I really love is finding places like this that are totally fun & over the top, that I couldn’t live with in my home – but is perfect to visit and enjoy. Thanks for sharing this; I will make a point of checking out Blattgold the next time the hubby & I are exploring NH.

Lauras last blog post: Happy Weekend!

• Reply decor8 January 11, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Laura: Blattgold is in Hannover, Germany (not Hannover, New Hampshire). Sorry I know it can get confusing with me living in two locations. :) I wish Blattgold were here because I’d go tonight! :)

• Reply Laura January 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Oops! I just realized my mistake. Oh well :)

Lauras last blog post: Happy Weekend!

• Reply annkent January 12, 2009 at 7:07 am

Interesting. The wall mural in Blattgold looks like it might be of the Matterhorn. No? If so, cool.

• Reply Lupin January 12, 2009 at 10:30 am

I am such a sucker for a nice woodland mural! That bedroom is ace: like really bold wallpaper, I long to have a suitable room in my house for them (this would have to be a room my boyfriend never went into as he would probably veto such things!)

Lupins last blog post: Everyday Pattern

• Reply Angela January 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Wow, what a surprise! I actually have 2 murals in my rental. One is a forest-scape like the one you have shown, and the other is a tropical forest with a bridge. I know they sound tacky, but I’ve come to love them. It’s going to be hard to leave my kitschy apartment when the time comes, but I’ve certainly come to love my murals.

• Reply Kelly (Color Sizzle) January 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm

I love the two-tone green walls in Blattgold! And what gorgeous pink and orange shades on the lighting fixtures! It’s an interesting, eye-catching color scheme but it’s not overdone. I think it’s great when restaurant owners aren’t afraid to use color.

Kelly (Color Sizzle)s last blog post: Ink Chic

• Reply The Designer Insider January 14, 2009 at 11:50 am

I was not a great fan of murals but the ones you are showing add something special to the mix. In July 2008, I blogged about accessorizing dorm rooms and I showed a bamboo mural that was sold by Bed, Bath and Beyond for $99. I thought it definitely fit a dorm room or apartment nicely. To each his own! You can check out the photo on my blog. Thanks!

The Designer Insiders last blog post: OSBORNE & LITTLE: Icons Of The Design World