Arts + Crafts, Etsy Faves

Paintings By Jennifer Davis

January 28, 2009

I feel like sharing a new painting in my home from artist Jennifer Davis. It’s called Girl and it looks so pretty on my blue wall in the living room. Jennifer’s work really inspires me. You  know that feeling when you just ‘click’ with a piece of art or the work of a particular artist? It’s like that. {Click} I was hooked the first time I found Jennifer and the love affair hasn’t ended. To date I own a limited edition print and 8 original paintings from Ms. Davis. Don’t do the math, I know I’ve spent some cash. But I have a serious art crush. I always find a way to afford art that I love, even if it means wearing last year’s coat and cutting my own hair. People drop cash on clubbing, their pets, cigarettes, eating out… I’ll stay home for a month just to afford a painting.

This is one that I purchased back in June called Coffee. I love it because the house I lived in before this one was a converted barn and my current home is a converted carriage house (names of the horses are on the beams in our home – Goldie, Maud, and Silver!) and so my cutie man and I have this running joke that we’ll never get away from the horses. I purchased the painting so that no matter where we end up living happily ever after, I’ll always remember our little country life.

Who do you follow (artist)? Share a link, please!

(images by holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Helena/ ROOM AND SERVE January 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Love your work. Check out Swedish illustrators and designers, a new collection of wallpaper!

Helena/ ROOM AND SERVEs last blog post: Your Wallpaper och Sveriges främsta formgivare

• Reply lainey January 28, 2009 at 5:28 pm

some of my favorite artists live in LA. i need to save my penies so i can purchase some of their stuff! here’s one artist i particularly admire –
    alfie numeric:

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 28, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Aw…this is a wonderful tribute. And Jennifer’s work is SO wonderful.I love the story of the horses(that is lovely) and I know what it is to love and “follow” an artist. I have a good number of dear Heather Smith Jones pieces
    & have always felt like I just clicked with her art
    Also, Tamar Mogendorff
    and Jen Renninger
    There are so many but, these are a few.

• Reply Laurie January 28, 2009 at 8:46 pm

I have a love affair (bordering on obsession) with chairs. A million designs to accomplish the same thing. How wonderful is that? Kimberley Applegate does a painting a day (or every few days) of a different chair with a famous painting in the background. I have 4 of her prints and would just love to get an original some day. I’ve been trying to convince her to do a chair covered in one my fabrics. That would be enough to just make me swoon…

Lauries last blog post: 2009 is off to a great start

• Reply amanda January 28, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Ashley Longshore is one of my best friends and a great painter with a wonderful sense of fun. Check out her work and mine as well Love your site!

• Reply Marilyn from Ohio January 28, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Saw the work of this artist in the window of an art gallery in Petoskey, Michigan last summer.

His name is Hessam Abrishami. He grew up in Iran and his work is being sold out of California.

Am totally in love with his sense of color and movement…

Marilyn from Ohios last blog post: God Bless America

• Reply Sandy January 29, 2009 at 2:20 am

I love Graça Paz Pereira da Costa, her work is so vibrant and full of energy and she is so multi talented, working across may different mediums.

• Reply Demoiselle Libellule January 29, 2009 at 4:33 am

There are two artists I truely admire:

the collage artist Stephanie Levy ( I really love her way of combining collages with her beautiful drawings

the very poetic artist Naokostoop ( I really love her childhood images!

• Reply rachel January 29, 2009 at 9:05 am

i think my husband will leave me if i get another matte stephens print.

our new home is very mid-century and you can’t beat matte when it comes to that sensibility. our living room is based off his color pallette.

• Reply doreen January 29, 2009 at 11:43 am

I applaud you for being a supporter of the arts. I love the Coffee painting, the coloration is lovely. I could own some of these too!

I have many favorite artists, but alas, no budget for purchasing other’s art. I did acquire last year, however, a lovely oil portrait from an elderly artist friend that I met. It has special meaning for me because she passed shortly after she gave it to me. She was an amazing prolific artist who kept creating right up to the end, and has become an inspiration for me. I think of her every time I see that painting.

• Reply Erin January 29, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I really like Jennifer’s work. Her pieces seem to have a sweet femininity, but with a little edge. One of my new favorites is Amanda Kavanagh: She a Brooklyn-ite, which comes through in many of her pieces. A number of her latest pieces are encaustics – I think it’s oil with wax, though Amanda herself could describe it better. Definitely worth checking out. She recently launched an Etsy shop as well:

Erins last blog post: Upcoming Events

• Reply Stacey January 29, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Hi there,

I can’t recommend highly enough the paintings by Juana de la O – I have several pieces by her and they light up my home and bring me so much joy every day. Here’s where you can check out her collection:

You an also see images of the artist’s life at

Stacey Parks
    Los Angeles, CA

• Reply Liane January 29, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I had to follow your flickr over here after seeing this painting on your wall. I do love this one.
    I bought Amy Walsh’s (wondercabinet) painting called “Lake no. 4” and here’s the link (if it works)
    Another artist I’ve bought from and admire is Caroline Gaedechens whose etsy shop is NuitBlanche.

Lianes last blog post: extra large black cross pillow with kapok

• Reply Gogo January 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I love this Cuban artist. I discovered her in LA at a show at SALT in Venice and then on vacation I bumped into her art studio in Todos Santos, Mexico.

Lots of cool stuff with text. A very smart artist. Great colors too.

check her out!

• Reply domesticinnyc January 30, 2009 at 8:23 am

I am the same way with art! Even now when I should be saving I couldn’t help but purchase the Christian Chaize I posted here:

Art is really important to me, and I love when I learn about new artists, so thanks for sharing!!

domesticinnycs last blog post: Oh, sad day…