Creativity Series: Just Do It! {3}

Are you ready for our Creativity Series this week? We’re going to have homework so I hope that you’re excited to get to work! Hey, it’s all about YOU and your personal benefit so no complaining! :) For those just catching up, the first week of our series discussed the benefits of tapping into your childhood to figure out what you enjoyed before external influences and expectations took over. We talked about mind mapping as a good way to do that. I was beyond excited when many of you took the suggestion and pulled together your own map (thanks for showing me via your blogs and emails!).

During the second week of our Creativity Series, we talked about the importance of physical activity, whether it’s a walk around the block, time spent with your camera outdoors, or sweating it up at the gym – that part is up to you. Successful and productive people, happy people, are all known to have a regular exercise routine. Why do you think Oprah is so down on herself lately? She got out of her routine and the rich and powerful know just how vital routines are. Scientifically speaking, it makes you look and feel better but also helps your creativity to flow more freely — the whole point of encouraging regular exercise. For those of you who hate exercise, replace words like “exercise” and “working out” with “brain boosting sessions” or “creative recharge time”. I’m not kidding! If you are going to the gym and dread it, think of it as a creative exercise and not so much as a physical one. Am I making sense?

With mind mapping and exercise on the table, let’s now add to that our topic this week: Maintaining a regular journal. Intuition is our guide and I find that the more I journal the more I tap into mine. Many find that writing first thing in the morning is best and especially helpful in case you want to record a vivid dream. Others prefer to write late at night when there is less distraction. Some take journaling a step further to include magazine clippings, paint, and colored pencils, also known as Art Journaling. You can google “Art Journaling” and see hundreds of websites, books, and blogs on this topic. While there are no rules to time, place, or entry length, remaining consistent is key.

I have an iPod Touch and downloaded an app called Gratitude! by Happy Tapper (Oprah loves hers) and developed by Carla Kay White. It’s basically a spot where you can jot down what you are grateful for today and it stores all of your entries by date so you can go back in time to read any of them in case you are feeling like rubbish and need a reminder of the good things in life. It also gives you a daily quote that is always very uplifting and you can password protect this app so you can freely write whatever you’d like without feeling someone may read it.

How can regular journaling help you become more creative? Journaling stimulates creativity by reducing the clutter in your head. Brain fog clears! Journaling eases decision making, reveals patterns, tracks progress, and allows freedom of expression in a private space where you will not be judged. While blogging can allow this freedom, there is a part of us that feels uncomfortable revealing all on the web. I keep most of my personal business to myself and though some other bloggers tend to tell all and that works for them, I am not that free with my personal thoughts and family matters because I believe that even when you think you are ‘free’ the moment you are standing before others you tend to edit – even if just a wee bit. I’m sure your blog and your personal journal (if you write one) look very different.

I’ve been keeping a journal since I was 7 years old. In fact I still have at least half of them (lost a few boxes once during our relocation from South Carolina). I wrote inside of my very first diary that my friend Mindy and I had just visited my favorite stationery shop and I wrote how I used my allowance money on the Hello Kitty diary that I was writing in. I expressed how excited I was to have a diary and how I planned to write in it every single day. I also talked about how Mindy and I had to stay on the sofa where I was writing because the “carpet cleaning guys” had just left and my mother did not want us to walk around while the carpets were drying. Of course, over the years my journal entries matured along with me, I recorded everything from how awkward I felt in school gym class (I’m a klutz) to the time my mother took me to buy my first training bra and how she told me that she didn’t know why they call it a training bra (I asked her why apparently), but I wrote in my journal that I told her that it’s because a training bra will train them to do tricks someday. I remember she thought that was pretty funny, but at the time I was just making an innocent comment. It’s a riot to read entries like that. I find lots of doodling in my journals, painful boyfriend episodes, problems with particular classes in school, and I talk a lot about decorating, flowers, crafts, and hobbies throughout them. I also wrote about how much I loved to write stories and make my own books. I definitely see patterns in my thinking, progress and failures, everything is all crystal clear. I don’t feel like I lost time because I’ve been writing in journals since I was a child so there’s no period in which I feel like my life got lost.

Not everyone has journals from their childhood, which is understandable, so I’d like to encourage anyone reading who does not have a personal writing space to consider it! Keeping one as an adult is so vital to me because it’s important for dealing with fears, coping with loss, handling failure, revealing patterns in thinking, all of which help to shape my future but to also live in the moment. Looking at entries just from last week is a good review for me, I can see bits of thinking that I consider flawed, errors I’d made in judgment, paths I need to straighten. I highly suggest writing in a journal!

If you are not a journal person, I’d like to suggest an alternative — listing. Sounds weird but there is a book called Listography: Your Life in Lists made specifically for this. I purchased my copy last April and it’s fun to maintain and very revealing. I love the page: List Professions You’d Like To Try. It’s a great way to help you to open up if you’re not sure where to begin. Each page of Listography asks you a question and space is provided to answer, draw, whatever you fancy.

Would you like to try listing for a moment along with me here? I say go for it. List a few things that you would like to do as a profession if you knew you would not fail. Ready?

Do you keep a journal? Do you want to? How has it helped you tap into your creative self?

(images from holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in real talk on January 29, 2009

1. isla commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 4:23pm

I love your blog, have for a long time but didn’t get to read your post yesterday. What an interesting topic, and i’ve been thinking about the same sort of thing for the past few months. I just wrote on my little blog something similar if you anyone would like to read!
    Thank you so much for your inspiration…

2. Gina commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 4:52pm

I like the creative series you have going. I wish I had seen it from the beginning.
    It’s always nice to have some creative tasks set before you.
    I’ve tried keeping a journal several time but just don’t stick with it. I do have a few art journals that I doodle in quite a lot, so I guess that would count.

Ginas last blog post: A little bit of happiness

3. Cicada Studio commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:04pm

I don’t really journal. Perhaps it’s just semantics, but what I do have is a note book. This is primarily my on going to-do list. I write things down as I think of them and when I get to it (which could be months down the road), I cross it out (but so I can still read it). As I go through it, I can see all of my accomplishments and all I have yet to do. Sometimes my to-dos (which can also be categorized as “thoughts”) are sort of dreamy and vague or grandiose and it’s those items in particular that get me going creatively. On top of that, there’s sketches thrown in and some doodling, too. I love my note book… and I would be somewhat lost without it. It’s a good indicator of where I am at any give time, too. Nice to have the history.

Cicada Studios last blog post: Bringing In The New

4. E. Floyd commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:09pm

This is such a great series. It really is speaking to me.

After the first one on mind-mapping I spent the weekend thinking about things I enjoyed as a child. The two big activities I liked most were drawing/painting and athletics. I am in the process of transitioning my career to painting full-time and I just started training for my first triathlon.

Then the second post was about excercise and getting moving – well I have really jumpstarted that by aiming for a sprint triathlon this summer.

This third post is just great! I to have been keeping a journal since around 2nd grade. I now keep two journals – one personal and one dedicated to art and art ideas.

2009 is a year of great change and I am so glad you are starting the year with these creativity posts. Looking forward to the next one. Thanks, Liz

E. Floyds last blog post: Two Peaches and Imagination Painting

5. michelle commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:12pm

I’ve never been a good journal person. In the past I often would buy myself a new journal with the ambitions of writing in it ever day but would quickly lose interest. I was always very critical of myself and felt a lot of pressure to make everything I wrote interesting. Weird, I know. I definitely think I would probably derive more joy from listing as oppose to journaling. So here’s my list:
    .Pastry Chef
    .Home Decor shop owner offering decorating services
    .Dancer
    .Photographer for national geographic
    .Marine Biologist (technically I am this by training but sadly not by trade)

michelles last blog post: Chilly Sunday Morning

6. Kate! commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:13pm

I also have tried journaling several times in the past, but get too caught up in holding myself accountable to writing in it every day, or at least in some sort of a pattern that it becomes a chore that I end up dreading. I put too much pressure on myself. I once tried just writing in a journal 4 times a year (on my birthday and 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 birthdays) and I couldn’t even keep that up! I got too stressed about all the things I should write about from the previous three months that I would never start the entry. Kind of ridiculous, huh?

Another problem – I think way faster than I write and/or type, so I get frustrated because my mind is already onto something else while I’m still trying to get the first thought on paper. Maybe journaling just isn’t for me? I like the list idea though, maybe I’ll try that :)

7. Kristine commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:15pm

I’ve kept a journal since I was about 8. I still have all of them too stowed away on my bookshelf in my living room. Occasionally I’ll flip through them to reminisce just because it’s fun :). IMO Journaling (and i mean writing with your hand) is such a lost art these days with the popularity of computers.

Thanks for sharing the Listography book! I will have to check that out sometime.

8. Brittany commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:27pm

For Christmas this year my mom bought me a beautiful set of monthly journals and I am loving them. I usually have five different notebooks, etc. that I use to jot things down but the whole point is to organize your thoughts and doing that made me crazy.

I use my journals as an art journal for inspiration for photos and it helps so much. I started the year by putting clippings of images I liked in there and writing what I liked about them and now I have such a better sense of what I enjoy as a photographer by looking at recurring words, etc.

I would be on Broadway if I could pick a profession and not fail or I’d be an interior decorator. I love to paint and spruce up spaces and would love to get paid for it!!

Brittanys last blog post: Dolly Dress Excitement!

9. Melanie commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:45pm

I am really loving this creativity series. It has been just the inspiration I’ve needed to get going this year.

Sadly, I am lax at keeping a journal. I’ve tried to keep one in various forms, for the last 20 years but can never keep up with them. I think this year I’ll try a visual journal. Hopefully, it will stick!

My list:
    1. Art Therapist
    2. Teahouse Owner
    3. Graphic Designer
    4. Women’s Studies Professor
    5. Photojournalist

10. Rachel B. commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 5:51pm

I have kept a journal now for 22 years – with almost daily entries. I think it allows me to get out my thoughts all in one place and I feel somehow more organized as a person. I have gone back through them and for certain I can say that I have some serious issues! No really, I can see what points I bring up frequently and that allows me to remain focused.

Rachel B.s last blog post: Awesome Pdfs From Wren And Chickadee

11. Laura commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 6:06pm

I am really enjoying this series! I have always been a big list-maker and journal-writer, really it’s kind of a compulsion of mine! Here is my list of professions I’d like to try:
    – Wedding planner
    – Cafe owner
    – Children’s book author and illustrator
    – Professional swing dancer
    – Photographer
    – Farmstead cheesemaker

And by the way, I love the 1st photo in this post! Such a lovely little composition you made on your table :)

Lauras last blog post: The Toymaker {Free Goodies!}

12. Kathleen commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 6:20pm

In-real-life art journaling is one of my new years resolution and I’m still too intimidated to even begin. Just the other day I felt like my blog has been going long enough that I can finally enjoy all the layers and textures and evolution it’s gone through just in 6 months – I know the same will be true for art journaling and that it will end up being even more rewarding than my blog if I can just DO IT.

Here’s my professions list (I am currently an Art Director at an ad agency):
    1. Assistant to a fabulous stylist
    2. Set decorator (for Wes Anderson if I’m being picky)
    3. Makeup artist
    4. Some sort of coordinator at fashion shows that gets to wear a headset
    5. A mechanic

Kathleens last blog post: Legs and Lights

13. Ann Marie commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 6:26pm

This is a really well written post Holly. I’ve been thinking about getting back to the journal, and perhaps this is just the push I need. I think I’ll start a new one and try the “art journaling”. Here’s my list of professions:
    -Interior designer (working on this one!)
    -Artist
    -Cake Decorator/Pastry Chef
    -Singer (if I had a voice)
    -Magazine Editor

I’m really enjoying this series. Thanks! :)

Ann Maries last blog post: School Days – First Lessons

14. JENNIFER RAMOS commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 6:27pm

I have that GRATITUDE app.. I like it Lotsssss. :)
    It’s a great daily reminder, that’s for sure.

Jen Ramos

‘Cards & Prints You’ll Love…’
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

15. marné commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 6:29pm

I don’t journal, exactly, but I have a book that I use to note ideas and significant events. I do lots of sketching and listmaking in there as well. Here are a few glimpses and more about it: http://heylucy.typepad.com/heylucy/2007/06/a_sort_of_commo.html
    It’s so helpful have a place to just brain-dump everything :o)

16. Mandy commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 6:33pm

I have become a die hard journaler. I was a very on and off journaler as a kid — I always meant to keep a journal, but could never actually stick with it. I finally actually started the day I left to study abroad in England. I knew that this was an experience I wanted to remember. Somehow, the habit just stuck that time. I have now written almost nightly in my journal for 3 1/2 years. It’s become such a part of my nightly routine…I feel weird if I don’t do it. It feels almost like a way to make sense of my day.

And jobs if I knew I wouldn’t fail…
    Broadway performer (no, not performer…STAR!)
    Interior designer
    Set designer
    Pastry chef
    Bigwig Journalist
    Dancer
    Writer

Mandys last blog post: 6.25.08 – I See 3D (via invisibleElement)

17. Justine commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 7:33pm

1. Children’s book illustrator
    2. Sports Broadcaster
    3. Premier of Saskatchewan (in Canada)
    4. Star in a Broadway show (just once)

18. Rafidah commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 7:51pm

I was about to purchase the Listography Journal but there are some restrictions to ship to my country. Sobs!!! And there I was feeling very motivated after reading your post :D

19. la petite maison commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 7:57pm

Great post, Holly! I’ve been keeping a journal diary since 5th grade. I had the misfortune of my mom reading them prior to my 6th grade year; you bet I was livid, but what could I do? I was a kid with very little say in the matter! My little sister and I proceeded to toss those “violated” journals and start fresh. I’ve lapsed in the last few years, but I’m happy to report that I’ve resumed my journal keeping. I’ve kept all of them since, and have taken great pains to hide them from everyone!

la petite maisons last blog post: Currentyly Loving: Elle’s Studio

20. Shanon commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 8:45pm

I used to buy pretty journals and was always so scared to start because I didn’t want to mess up. This always bothered me about myself. It said something to me. It said that I valued an empty book more than my own self… than my own thoughts, dreams, or personality.

Now I buy Jill Bliss Native Flowers Journals, and I write in them whenever I want to brainstorm, give myself a peptalk, or chronicle my business and people I admire. I also doodle like mad around the pages.

I stopped caring if I did things perfectly, and I just did it. I spell words wrong, and I screw up drawings (cause I write in pen) but I don’t care. It’s only for me. And I think I like myself enough to cut myself some slack.

I don’t have a schedule for when I write, and sometimes I forget for a week. But I almost always feel better afterward. Ooooh, and don’t even get me started on listing. Haha! =)

Shanons last blog post: My Little Corner of the World

21. Terriaw commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 8:59pm

I have kept a journal or notebook for years, but have only saved a couple. I don’t use my journal like a diary but more as a place to brainstorm, where I jot down ideas, things to do, things to make, remember great quotes, remember inspirations given by people I admire, writing prompts, gift ideas. I have noticed similar trends in all of my notebooks, but I never know where to go from there or how to use them to take my creative journey to the next step. My list of professions would be:
    -Illustrator/Artist
    -Photographer
    -Writer – journalism or copywriter
    -Costume Designer
    -Stylist for magazine or photo shoots

Terriaws last blog post: Thankful Thursday – February is almost here

22. Suzanne commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 9:04pm

I love this series and especially this post! I actually just wrote about journalling last week on my own blog. I’m really going to try and get back into it – I love the idea of a book of lists as the starting point!
    My list of chosen professions would be:
    – Boutique Owner
    – Fashion Designer
    – Interior Designer
    – Architect
    – Author
    – Actress
    – Musician/Singer

Suzannes last blog post: Something a little happier, perhaps?

23. Taylor commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 9:04pm

I’m actually shredding my journals. They are painful memories for me and I think doing this is helping me heal and move on. I did go back and read every entry before I started the removal process and I thought long and hard as to if this was truly what I wanted to do. I decided it was time. My first journal was from when I was 11. I wrote and filled up several more in my late teens and early 20’s.
    I’m also doing it to protect others.

To answer your questions:
    I would love to own and run a boutique. I do not like following the rules of others and like things just so. I am in no way a perfectionist, though.

Do you keep a journal?
    Do you want to?
    I like the idea of the list you suggested for those who wish not to write. An art journal is great, as well, and I think I would like to pursue that. I’m far from being an artist. I do write poetry but only when the mood inspires me. I believe in not forcing creativity. So when reading back through them I’ll notice 6 month gaps between previous poems.
    Photography is something I am also interested in and need to get back into that.

Taylors last blog post:

24. Sam commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 9:32pm

I love the idea of keeping a journal, just like I love the idea of actually using my calendar :)
    If I could try anything and not fail, I’d:
    -be an architect
    -be a landscape architect
    -be an organic apple or peach farmer
    -own a storefront/studio/offer printing workshops!

Sams last blog post: Midweek Inspirations: Edna Boies Hopkins

25. patricia commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:11pm

I had journals as a kid and teenager but I stopped for whatever reason. I’ve tried getting into writing again and it hasn’t stuck. I do have sketch books that I keep and like looking through. My kids are so used to seeing me with it that they were thrilled when I bought them sketch books too. Now they doodle in theirs when I doodle in mine.

26. Traci commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:30pm

I love this series! Thanks so much for all the time and energy you put into it.

I’ve been meaning to start journaling, but like many people here, would get overwhelmed and end up not doing it. It’s funny that you mention the gratitude app for the ipod because this is basically what I started doing this year. I bought one of the small moleskines (small = not so daunting) and attempt to list out 5 things about my day. So far it’s been an amazing exercise.

At the beginning of 2005, I was super unhappy with my profession, so one day I asked myself the very same question: “If I could do anything without failure, what would I do?” The answer was almost a shout in my mind: I’d be a graphic designer. I went home, told my husband, and by that fall I was enrolled at RISD in their graphic design program. I graduated this past June and couldn’t be happier. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done (I was 27 when I started), but I’m thankful every day that I did it (and that I have an amazing husband to push me to take risks).

I’d also really like to open a coffee shop someday. We’ll see.

Tracis last blog post: On Holiday…

27. decor8 commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:30pm

I really enjoy reading these comments. I think for those not into journaling in the more traditional sense, you may opt to use a notebook and do lists (I’m big on lists) or a sketch book and draw, color, paint, glue, etc. inside using images from magazines coupled with words and quotes and whatever it is you are feeling at that moment.

28. feli commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:45pm

I use to journal when I was younger but then when I moved to Perth I stopped because I had a bf that I could confide in and a journal was no longer needed. I am no longer with that BF anymore and then I started blogging. But like you said, when you blog for the world you tend to edit things out. I should start journalling again. I have my moleskine date book with me all the time so I might incorporate something to that datebook so that it becomes a journal too.

thanks for the great post. It has inspire me to journal and list again.

felis last blog post: Earth Hour 2009…

29. cindy commented
    January 29th, 2009 at 11:47pm

My journal is my lifeline. I write 3 pages every morning, even if I have to write a few lines of literally “blah, blah, blah” to keep the flow. It’s my internal barometer and compass, clears my head and emotions, helps me solve problems and helps me focus. The hand never lies! I also at the top of the page jot down 5 Things I’m Grateful For. I kept a separate Gratitude Journal once for a few months where I just listed 5 things a day (one to 5 words each) that I was grateful for and my life transformed. Very powerful. Many dreams realized. I go through periods when I get bored and sick of listening to myself and then I can spring into action!
    Hmmm…Professions: (I’m presently an Art Director/Graphic Designer and own a Landscape Construction business with my husband).
    1. Landscape Designer

I would like to be…
    1. yoga teacher
    2. flower shop owner
    3. Author of horror stories:P
    4. Singer
    and…
    5. An interior designer which I’m not yeat, but getting there;)

I’m not disciplined enough to keep a jounal but I do have a kind of a list book where I right everything from my doctor appointments to music I listen and want to have, sentences, things I need to investigate…

Great work with the blog:)

Sofias last blog post: Welcomed mistakes

31. lindsay commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 1:10am

Journaling, it’s a love hate relationship here. Sometimes it serves a purpose, other days I feel as though I’m wasting my time.

If I had no fear of failure I would be a:

-chef
    -grow & maintain an organic kitchen garden for a fabulous restuarant
    -children’s book illustrator…(I’ve had many chances, but the fear holds me back)
    -pilot
    -mom to just one more baby.

lindsays last blog post: Holla! Michiganders on Etsy…

32. Lisa :: the red thread commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 1:32am

It’s funny that I have been an everyday journal keeper during the difficult times of my life, but I am sparodic in keeping a journal for myself during the times of being on an even keel. I think I associate journaling as a way to help myself and work through things. I do keep lots of notebooks full of ideas and thoughts.

Having said that I do keep a journal of sorts for my daughter. I blogged about it here:

I have just downloaded the Gratitude! app for my iPhone – thanks for the heads up on that one. I have been keeping a “verbal” gratitude journal for a few weeks (just saying out loud to myself each day what I am grateful for), and I am truly surprised at what a difference it has made to my thinking and my life.

Profession list:
    – stylist
    – full time artist (as in fine art)
    – pre-school teacher

Lisa :: the red threads last blog post: I *Heart* Fridays: I *Heart* Irene Suchoki’s Photography

33. Laura commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 2:12am

Thank you for this post, this is just what I need to do right now.

Lauras last blog post: What’s stopping you, or me?

34. moline commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 4:20am

Hi sweetie!
    Started journaling when I was 11 and followed through until I was 32. then one day I threww them all away because for me it was unbearable emotional clutter because it was so hurtful sometimes rereading it and I just did not want to carry that with me all the time. (Had this decluttering-Feng-Shui phase then along with some therapy sessions to get ready for my beloved husband back then). What followed was nesting, amrriage and children and now, 11 years later I Started normal diary again this year being encouragedby Ali Edwards. that is also why I am writing gratitude notes (also inspired by her). But I changed the journaling. i don” use books anymore but that is my thing: I simply cannot decide on the size and look of the book I want to write in for let’s say a whole yaer. So i now have a mix of normal journaling and art journaling where I use 10×15 notecards to be stored like index cards and so I can add colour sheets, postcards, clippings etc. every day. i am also embellishing the daily cards according to my moods and interests. And so that makes it easier and more fun for me. Now reading all this I think i should write a post about this on my blog… See you soon and thanks for the brain-enabling of today!
    Yvonne

molines last blog post: Happy Butterflies

35. sina commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 4:49am

thank you Holly for taking the time to do this series. I’ve been looking forward to each thursday :)

i used to write/journal everyday when i was younger but the habit has since lapse. Been trying to pick it up again…

I notice that i am very critical of myself and this shows even when i’m journaling, so i’m trying to change that perspective – telling myself there is no right or wrong, just ideas and thoughts to be explored with me myself. Also i collect notebooks, so i have a tendency to use multiple ones at a go and get confused! At the beginning of this year, i dedicated one notebook for all my journaling and even bought at whole set of colored pens to write with. Somehow filling the pages with words and colors is very therapeutic for me. I also try to write a gratitude list every week to keep myself positive and give thanks. It definitely works!

Now to do this consistently everyday, that’s the challenge.

36. Sarah commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 7:54am

This is such a great series of posts!

I loved keeping a journal when I was a child and a teenager, but then I fell out of the habit. For the last few years me and my husband have shared a daily journal – part art journal, part traditional journal. It’s been such a great way of recording the first few years of our married life (both up and downs), I hope we manage to carry it on for a few years yet!

My list of professions –
    Bookshop / Gallery owner
    Running a full time letterpress studio
    Writer

37. Frida commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 11:04am

I don’t really keep a journal, but if I would I think I would prefer to make it mostly visual. To keep some sort of creative diary would definitely not make the creativity suffer, I guess I should start one!

As for the list of professions I would to try, they are many, I’ve actually thought about keeping a record of them cause I think of new things several times a week. Here’s a list of the ones I’m mostly thinking of:

Computer programmer
    Web designer
    Weaver
    Fashion designer
    Textile designer
    Interior designer
    Illustrator
    Photographer
    Farmer

I don’t really have a profession yet, but I would like to try as many as possible!

Fridas last blog post: Theme drawing – part 3

38. Flavia commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 11:23am

I am really enjoying the series!
    I have been journaling on and off since I was little. When I was about 7 or 8 years old, for one year I would put notes on my daily agenda about what I did that day, and would decorate it with stickers, movie stubs, things like that. I wish I kept that going longer because I love looking back on that agenda! As I got older though, journaling became a way to vent frustrations, fights with ex-boyfriends and low self-esteem days – so depressing to look into, though interesting to see how far I’ve come along.
    I’ve been thinking about starting an art/dream journal and this post is helping me to go for it!
    My list of careers:
    – Interior Designer (working on it!)
    – Stylist
    – Editor-in-chief at a decorating magazine
    – Singer
    – TV show host

39. Noelle commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 11:30am

I’ve tried keeping a journal many times (in fact my very first one was Little Twin Stars themed!), but have found that I usually don’t follow through and feel like I have nothing interesting to write about. And, for some reason, it feels really strange to write down very personal, emotional thoughts. I do like the idea of lists and/or a notebook. I did just download the “Gratitude” app, so maybe it’s a start! Thanks for the great post Holly!

My professions:

– interior designer
    – art museum curator
    – fictional author
    – landscape architect
    – cooking show host

Noelles last blog post: Shrimp Stew – Limited Edition Print

40. Jennifer Davis commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 12:08pm

Have you read any of Julia Cameron’s books? They are good for getting me started on my creative pursuits. She is a very strong proponent of journaling and believes in a strong connection between journaling and opening up your creativity.

41. decor8 commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 12:26pm

Jennifer, hi! No I haven’t, I’ll google Julia Cameron now. Thanks!

42. Jamie Watson commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 1:00pm

I do not journal but I may start after reading this post! Thank you.

If I knew I wouldn’t fail…

* Professional Free Surfer
    * Surf filmmaker
    * Surf magazine owner/editor
    * Artist
    * Philanthropist – supporting other artists
    * Life Coach
    * Board member for Surfrider Foundation

Jamie Watsons last blog post: Brasil, Brazil

43. Ashley Brooke commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 2:20pm

I love this post! I am now wanting to craft & journal all day!!

By the way I really enjoy reading your blog everyday!

44. Elzi commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Hi Holly,

I love the Creativity Series! I keep a journal since I saw a play about the life of Anne Frank. That was 18 years ago, I was 9. All my journals are in a big box and sometimes I re-read a few.

My list of professions:
    – interior decorator
    – writer
    – opera singer
    – owner of a boutique hotel
    – caterer
    – wedding planner

45. rowena commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 4:23pm

I’ve been keeping a journal for 25 years, although I write less in my paper journal, paint more, and do more online now. It has been such a valuable experience to keep it going all these years. And it’s made me a better writer.

As for the alternate job desires…. I had to go back in my archives to find the list I made, because it’s very long and elaborate, and I’ll just post the link, instead of writing it all here.

rowenas last blog post: Flying Girl Was Only Waiting For This Moment to Arrive, or Blackbird

46. Heather commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 4:35pm

I love the listing idea. I’ve come across that book Listography a couple of times and keep thinking I should get it. I think that would be a good way to start journaling.
    I’m going to download the Gratitude app for my iphone. I like the idea of being able to have it with me at all times to jot it down.
    If I knew I wouldn’t fail:
    dancer
    fine artist

Heathers last blog post: A tailored Valentine

47. Elsa commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 7:00pm

Hi Holly,
    Wow, I’ve never kept a journal but find this inspiring. I’m not sure what I think I’m good at… I just love being creative! I love to cook and bake or least I use to. I also love to draw, paint but yet again I use to.
    I’ve been wanting to start projects around my apartment, like for instance, paint my dining table, but am quickly discouraged.
    Tomorrow is my birthday Holly, and I plan to change my attitude. I plan to do things, ruin things, trash things, all in the hopes of getting to where I’m ‘sposed to be. :)
    Tonight, I’ll start with a long list I’ve neglected because I’ve allowed others to run my life. Yes, including my daughter – which is my best friend and the best kid/woman anyone can ask for :)

List of Professions If I Knew I Wouldn’t Fail:
    Artist
    Writer
    Baker
    Cook
    Actress (please don’t laugh)
    Left this blank for a reason.
    Interior designer
    Fashion designer
    Photographer

Thanks Holly!

48. lillie commented
    January 30th, 2009 at 10:19pm

last year, i (unintentionally) started a habit of carrying a sort of journal/sketchbook around with me everywhere. what started as a place to write my “to do” lists has grown into a place to keep my brainstorming, doodling, and inspirations all together. now i can’t leave the house without this notebook stuck in my bag, just in case inspiration strikes!

thank you for providing us with daily inspiration, heidi. this creativity series is great!

lillies last blog post: welcoming the new year

49. Aimee Elizabeth commented
    January 31st, 2009 at 10:48am

I list things like a crazy person, and my journal is a series of lists and plans and thoughts (in list form) with little gestural doodles next to them…I underline things a lot and I re-read my “journal” everyday, gain more insight and on the next clean page start another type of list, my significant other says I’m the only one he knows that gets in bed with a notebook every night. But I can’t be the only one! My ex husband found my lists once and basically banned them, no more lists “it’s not normal”. No surprise he’s out of the picture huh!? I love my journal though, it’s so beneficial to me I would never allow someone to take it away again…this comment is turning into a blog post (damn coffee) anyways, here’s my list:

Professions I would do if I knew I wouldn’t fail:
    1. write books, movies, heck…commercials anything
    2. children’s book illustrator/writer
    3. art therapist
    4. all around designer of everything!
    5. world’s best mom :)
    ….that’s what i have so far…for now I’m going on a walk (tip #2) I’m sure when I get back I’ll have more!

Aimee Elizabeths last blog post: warm and fuzzie friday story

50. Caitlin commented
    February 3rd, 2009 at 1:45pm

I’m off to buy a new moleskine!

Caitlins last blog post: By no means…

51. Lin commented
    February 5th, 2009 at 11:18pm

Thanks so much for a great post.
    Professions I would try if I knew I wouldn’t fail would include:
    1. full time artist
    2. writer
    3. lavender/vineyard farmer
    4. bookshop/coffee shop owner
    5. bed and breakfast operator (preferably combined with 1, 2 and 3!)

we can dream hey!

Lins last blog post: Rogues gallery, comic style

52. Little Gray Pixel commented
    February 5th, 2009 at 11:45pm

This post reminded me of the art journal I kept my senior year in high school. Now, 12 years later, I’m inspired to start a new one.

Check out what inspired 17-year-old me, with pics and more, on my blog:

Little Gray Pixels last blog post: Washed Ashore 5×7 fine art photo print

53. Jillian commented
    February 6th, 2009 at 12:33pm

I am just catching up on this series, and I love it so much. It has really been the inspiration I needed during a difficult time. I started keeping my first journal in third grade. It was an Anne of Green Gables diary brought by Santa to accompany the full set of books, and my love of journaling and reading was truly born. Sadly, I disposed of my earliest three journals, but I have every one that I have kept since sixth grade. I have frequently reread a couple of the more “important” ones to remind me of lessons I’ve learned. I primarily just write in my journals but am planning to try art journaling this year. I also have tried Gratitude Journals in the past, and they really helped me. Thanks for the reminder! Professions…
    1. Photographer
    2. Jewelry Designer
    3. Shop Owner (a combination of fashion/art/vintage/decor)
    4. Interior Designer
    5. Artist
    6. Chef

54. ROOM design studio commented
    February 6th, 2009 at 2:34pm

I like journaling but , as usual , I lack consistency .
    Let me start with a list , or maybe visual journaling..
    I’m working on visual journaling on my blog but its not personal. I dont know how to journal about my personal life? And I honestly dont see the point in journaling about my moods.. am I missing something?
    Can I refer to my sketchbook as a journal? though its not related to my personal life ?

ROOM design studios last blog post: Organized Closets..

55. ROOM design studio commented
    February 6th, 2009 at 2:36pm

oh and this is what I want to do ..

1. a baker
    2. a florist
    3. boutique owner
    4. bed and breakfast owner and designer
    5. childern’s book author
    6. cook book author
    7. wedding planner
    8. stay at home mom

ROOM design studios last blog post: Organized Closets..

56. ROOM design studio commented
    February 6th, 2009 at 3:13pm

and this is a book from my wishlist on amazon :

How to Make a Journal of Your Life (Paperback)
    by Daniel Price (Author)

search it on amazon and check it out!

ROOM design studios last blog post: Organized Closets..

57. Erica@YourStyle commented
    February 6th, 2009 at 7:41pm

Thanks for the inspiring thoughts Holly! I have kept a lists journal for a while. It was my way of keeping a journal without having to write a “novel” of thoughts down. I also keep an “idea” journal. I believe it’s so important to get these things out of one’s “head” and onto paper. So often we keep our creativity swirling around in our head and it’s important for me to get them all out for three reasons…1. To make my thoughts real- to put them into print. 2. To allow space for more ideas to grow. 3. Seeing things on paper allow me to make connections with the ideas.
    You have inspired me to get writing even more! Thanks…

58. Elissa commented
    February 16th, 2009 at 11:32am

I’m not much of a “journal-er” either. I used to buy them because I found the book itself pretty but never wrote in in more than once or twice. I do have a sketchbook that I am going to try to make the effort to keep it with me at all times so every time I have an idea for something I can write it down. I’m taking your advice, I mind mapped which reminded me of a whole bunch of things I enjoyed as a kid and then went for a walk which helped get the blood (and maybe some creative juices) flowing. Thank you Holly for this series!

Elissas last blog post: Creativity

59. Mariss commented
    February 20th, 2009 at 6:45pm

I’m going backwards through your entries for the Creativity Series! They’re wonderful.

Yes, I have written in journals since the third grade, and written books in pink Lisa Frank notebooks. I love re-reading them! I’m going to try to write more often, and I agree that it’s impossible not to edit yourself when blogging!

Dream jobs, no failure allowed???
    1. Commercial Interior Designer (stuck in Facilities right now, but learning as much as I can!)
    2. High End Residential Interior Designer
    3. Illustrator
    4. Furnisher Designer / Refurbisher?
    5. Professional Surfer
    6. Carpenter
    7. Actress or Television host

Marisss last blog post: Oh, February!